Roll Call
0 members (), 47 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49
Re: Buried Hope (Post ZH Legion)
Invisible Brainiac #945770 03/15/18 05:30 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I should add that Rhent Ustin is potentially quite powerful, considering the variety of powers he has. It is a bit odd though, that they pretty much mirror the abilities of the Kryptonians or the Daxamites... I might have to tweak his power set to differentiate him a bit... hmm...

Invisible Brainiac #946450 03/28/18 04:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey IB, sorry, I've only just discovered these post.

Better late than never, here's a review for you:

Ferro thinking about his current condition was a good reminder and I'm glad you didn't dwell on it as angsty teens get boring fast. You've a good skill at mixing the motivations that gives them more realistic and rounded characters.

I'd love to learn the shell game, I do love a board game!

It's great that while enjoying down time the team don't forget they are Legionnaires when needed.

Nightwind taking command was good to see, she's another character that you've done some great work on, she reads as canon in this story.

I don't know anything about Lume - a reboot character I assume? still, I love it - "Carbonforms" indeed. Very sweet the way it helped the two children.

Where's Grandma's house? What a great cliffhanger!

Ferro's concern and Nightwinds pragmatism were well done in the situation, I think most people would be inconsolable if they found themselves in Berta's shoes.

Gear turning up to help was sweet, I really like him. And the other legionnaires showing their support to Berta was sweet too.

Also, very nice that the students are all capable but not necessarily confident in the field. Poor Ral, he's such a sweet guy (in everyone's version) but never seems to reach his full potential. I'm looking forward to seeing how you develop him.

Great teamwork from the group to search for Grandma, and I'm glad that she survived too.

So, Phelps saved her, how funny! Hopefully he'll show up in your academy or substitute team.

Berta's teas of relief at the end was a touching point. For all her pragmatism she's still a caring woman that bottles things up while dealing with a situation. Your take of her is really well written.

This was fun IB, and I'm looking forward to more, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #946520 03/29/18 02:37 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hi Harbi,

Thanks for the usual thorough comments!

Lume appeared twice in the Reboot. Introduced in LSH 66, he was supposed to join the Legion but could not (or would not) because it required space travel, and "space is dark". He reappeared again in Legionnaires 56, helping M'Onel stop Khunds from abducting Lume's people to use as an energy source. "Shinings, carbonforms" first appeared in LSH 66 as well smile

Poor Berta certainly had to work hard to keep from falling apart! But she's a Legionnaire, and had to be professional.

Haven't seen the last of Ph4lps for sure! He saved a life today after all smile

Ral does have potential, doesn't he? But it's a process.

Thanks again Harbi, glad you liked it! Hope to provide more soon!

Invisible Brainiac #946876 04/05/18 09:12 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I liked the Enwa missions end. I likd that it was a natural disaster that was the problem.

Berta worked through her issues well. I know she wants to step down but she's a very capable leader. I'm glad no one was seriously injured or killed by mudslide.

It was cool to see the Legionnaires come in a help with the clean up. I always enjoy when you showcase them doing more than the standard super heroics. it makes this world seem even more real as I could see them being a first responder unit of sorts.

Poor Ferro. hopefully Brainy can figure out something to help him.

loving these smaller missions. can't wait for more!

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Invisible Brainiac #946925 04/06/18 04:53 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, Omni! I also enjoy these non-fighting missions. Makes a nice break especially after all the space battles last volume!

Happy that Berta's leadership comes through despite her issues and doubts! I wanted her to be questioning but not whiny.

Yeah, poor Ferro. I'm sure there's a solution out there for him, but it may take some searching...

Buried Hope (Post ZH Legion)
Invisible Brainiac #948194 04/28/18 05:35 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 4: MOVING FORWARD

Enwa

Ferro, Andrew Nolan of 20th century Earth (USA); previously could turn his body into durable iron, but now stuck in his iron form
Gear, I.Z.O.R. of Linsnar; bio-mechanical techno-morphing
Lume, of Silvan; energy being made of light
Magno, Dyrk Magz of Braal; magnetokinesis
Nightwind, Berta Skye Harris of Earth (Iceland) and Enwa; wind and air manipulation. Current Legion co-leader
Rebound, Chuck Taine of Earth (Canada); inflates into a durable bouncing form
XS, Jenni Ognats of Aarok; super-speed

Chlorophyll Kid, Ral Benem of Mardru; plant manipulation (Reservist and Cadet)
Echo, Troy Stewart of Earth (South Africa); sound manipulation (Reservist and Cadet)
Vision, Rhent Ustin of Earth (Egypt); microscopic, telescopic, heat, freeze, and hypnotic vision (Reservist and Cadet)

"Grandma..." Nightwind began, the words catching in her throat.

"Now, listen here, Berta," Grandma Amihan said gently, but firmly. Though her body was frail, and her voice ragged with fatigue, her eyes were bright with alertness and intelligence. "You will not blame yourself for not being there when the landslide hit!"

"But, Grandma..."

"You were doing your job as a Legionnaire! You saved many lives! Now stop feeling sorry for yourself!" Grandma was using the tone which had caused her vast brood of children and grand-children to wince with defeat many times before. Her, lying in the hovercouch that carried her around the home.

"Now", Grandma snapped as Nightwind began to protest. "You became a Legionnaire because you wanted to. You have to begin accepting the fact that you have a responsibility to the greater good; that if you had not left me, thousands more might have been killed; and...!" she raised a finger as Nightwind began to protest, "that if you hadn't made the decision to leave Legion World when you did, you may have all been captured and may never have taken it back!"

As Nightwind prepared to protest, Grandma raised the rest of her hovercouch so she could sit erect. Her eyes caught Berta's, and Berta had to swallow. This was Grandma's best no-nonsense look. "Now, don't pretend. I know you have been moping about your decision. Now let me tell you again: your teammates agreed with you, the UP cleared you after their investigation, and - " she paused for emphasis, her finger jabbing at Berta, "nearly all of the hostages agreed with your decision after the fact - and the Legion has apologized and is making restitution for everyone, and even those who feel bad about it have decided not to take legal action! So tell me, what is there left to feel guilty about?"

"I... I just..." Berta began. "I... it still doesn't feel right!"

"Pshaw!" Grandma grunted. "The only alternative would have been to surrender - and then who would have fetched the other Legionnaires and given them the information needed to rescue everyone?"

"But we could have prevented the takeover if only we had had the appropriate safeguards for the Thresholds...!"

"You already had some safeguards in place! The villain here was just too technologically advanced," Grandma snapped. "Not even the Coluans, brilliant as they are, thought of it. Not even the Naltorians and Titanians with their fancy Titanet early warning system predicted this in time! So stop thinking you could have foreseen everything!"

"I..."

"And your teammates gave you a vote of confidence!"

"But Grandma, I still want to step down!"

"Then do it!" Grandma thundered, or it would have been a thundering had she been completely well. But her face certainly took on a mask of sternness. "Do it if it feels right, but stop feeling sorry for yourself! Make your decision and then move on!"

Berta fell silent. She looked around at the house; the Legionnaires had repaired it in no time flat, what with Gear - and a newly-arrived Chuck - providing engineering knowledge and Ferro, Magno and XS providing the muscle. Now the Legionnaires who had helped with the search-and-rescue were waiting in the living room, and Berta's parents and cousins and uncles and aunts were on their way, too. She reflected on how readily everyone had followed their lead; how Ferro and Lume had been encouraging and supporting her through the trip; and how even the more tenured Legionnaires naturally deferred to her.

She swallowed. She wouldn't change her mind about stepping down as leader... but she felt like she could live with her decisions now.

The doorbell rang. XS and Lume stood up simultaneously. "I'll go see who it is," Lume said. "Race you," XS winked. In a flash, the two vanished.

She squeezed Grandma's hand and smiled. "Thanks, Grandma."

"I may be old, but that just makes me wiser," Grandma winked.

Berta smiled back as she squeezed Grandma's hand.

In a second or two, XS and Lume had returned with F'e1lpz. The Cadet applicant stammered as he extended a hand. "Gosh, thanks for inviting me...!"

"How could we not?" Lume laughed. "You rescued Grandma Amihan, after all!"

F'e1lpz blushed as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I was just trying to help..."

"And that is part of why you are getting into the Cadet program," Rebound laughed as he stepped forward. "As the sort-of-headmaster, I semi-officially welcome you!"

F'e1lpz giggled as he clutched Chuck's hand. "I... I'm so grateful..."

"As we explained before, attitude and values are more important than sheer power," Lume smiled. "And you certainly have the correct attitude."

Berta smiled as the other Cadets and Legionnaires crowded around F'e1lpz. Already, Echo and Chlorophyll Kid were inviting him to training sessions, and Vision was offering to show him around. Berta clutched Grandma's hand again. One thing about the Legion, is that it would go on no matter what.

Monster Mash (Post ZH Legion)
Invisible Brainiac #948220 04/28/18 07:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

Legion World

Triad, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication (Active Legionnaire)
Theena of unknown; attached to a symbiotic alien able to open "viewscreens" allowing communication across distances (Cadet and Reservist)

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Theena sighed as she looked at the screens in front of her, without seeing. Her partner today was Triad, but her thoughts were focused on Gear.

She thought back to the last time she was on Monitor Duty with Gear; the tall Legionnaire had been the only one so far who seemed to care. He had understood perfectly that she hadn't joined the Cadet program just to be on Monitor Duty all the time. It was because of his intervention that her mandatory shifts had been reduced to the minimum required from any Cadet; this had made her feel so good that she volunteered for extra sessions often. Mostly when Gear was also on duty, of course.

She bit her lip as she thought, once more, of opening a viewscreen on her symbiote to peek at Gear. "I wonder what he wears when he sleeps?" she thought idly...

"Oh, nass!" Triad Purple's outburst made Theena jump up. The last time she had been caught daydreaming, Purple had given her a tongue-lashing. All the Cadets knew to walk on eggshells when Purple was around - or when Triad was in her orange-and-purple outfit. One never knew when Triad was simply integrated, and many a Cadet had been caught by surprise by Purple bursting out suddenly.

"What is it?" Theena stammered as she begin searching the screens in front of her. Then she, too, gasped.

A distress signal from the Moon had appeared. McCauley Industries under attach, it read.

Triad Neutral quickly began typing on the keyboard. "I'll see who's here... Wildfire, Particon, Karate Kid, Umbra, you're up."

"Um, Triad? I don't think they'll be enough." Theena's eyes were wide with fear as she used her viewscreens to peek at the Moon's surface.

All three Triads gasped behind her as they watched. Legions of creatures, of every shape and size, were swarming the Moon. Smoke was rising from McCauley Industries' headquarters.

"Good work, Theena," Triad Neutral's voice fluttered, though she kept calm on the surface. "Can you get me...?"

One of Theena's viewscreens blinked, and Evolvo jumped into view. The diminutive, pale humanoid's face was flushed, and blood was pouring down the side of his head. Dressed in a suit, he looked far different from the hired muscle that he was in his Workforce days, though Theena knew that he played a key role in many of the deceased Leland McCauley's* plots. This intimate knowledge had helped Evolvo succeed in his triumphant return to McCauley Industries, taking it over when a power vacuum developed after McCauley's death.

Now, though, Evolvo looked anything but the tycoon he had become.

"Ah, Triad. I'm happy the Legion has finally looked into this disturbance."

"Spare me the tone, Evolvo," Triad Purple spat. "Just tell me what you know."

"Not much," Evolvo said calmly, but quickly. He always spoke quickly, but even now there was a hurried undercurrent to his manner. "Exactly twenty-seven minutes ago I received a call from one of my labs. A technician was screaming about an experiment gone horribly wrong. Video logs showed a tube - which was being used to test a healing bath - exploding; liquid spilled on several employees in the lab. They immediately began to mutate, and tore the lab - and the poor sentients inside - to shreds."

"What in grife's name have you been experimenting on?" Triad Orange said, horrified.

"Not now, Sister," Triad Purple whispered. Turning to Evolvo, she glowered. "We will investigate later, Evolvo. Now, can you transmit your data to us?"

"I already prepared it," Evolvo said, tapping on his Omnicom. "If you would open a channel..."

He was interrupted by a crunching noise.

"Boss!" The mutant Dendronite called Amber** screamed as she popped into view. "Stay back, they're here!" Her arms in front of her, she cast her sap-like gel in front, catching a creature. Theena gasped. It was barely humanoid, but different, somehow. Not like any species she had ever seen before. Worse, it was wearing a lab coat.

Another Workforce member, Sandstorm, stepped into view. Unlike Amber, who had been hired by McCauley, Sandstorm had been hired by Evolvo recently. "It's... it's Doctor Zhivago."

Theena felt a chill down her spine.

Evolvo was calm as he surveyed the creature who had been Doctor Zhivago. "It appears that our staff have been mutated by whatever happened."

"Grife, I didn't sign up for this..." Amber shuddered.

"Sadly, it's in our contract," Sandstorm shrugged. The sentient from Mica was impassive as it examined doctor. "Considering I am composed of sand, I doubt I would be affected. However, I suggest that you both, being organic life forms, get into transuits right away. And so should our Workforce colleagues...

Sandstorm was cut off as the wall behind it crashed open. Standing in the doorway was another Workforce member, Lupine. Yet, it's normally smooth fur was now covered with jagged spikes, and its fangs had grown since Theena had last saw him.

"Too late, I fear," Evolvo said dryly. He raised an arm, activating his telekinesis and sending Lupine flying back. "This is quite bad, Legionnaires. Obviously, sentients are being mutated somehow. I've already begun transmitting the data, but..."

"Brainy, Lyle!" Triad Neutral barked. "I'm routing a data stream to your Omnicoms..." She turned to Theena. "Reach every available Legionnaire, now!"

"I already have," Theena said as calmly as she could, though her heart was beating. "There aren't many..." Viewscreens popped open, showing a dozen Active Legionnaires in all.

"I don't think this is enough," Triad Orange said quietly. She zipped through a multitude of screens in front of her; Evolvo had given the Legion access to his securi-cams, and chaos reigned. Every room and corridor they could see in McCauley Industries was filled with creatures - mutated creatures - running riot through. Any McCauley Industries employees fortunate enough not to have been transformed were running in fear or being cornered.

"We have no choice," Triad Purple said. "Theena, call in all the Cadets."

"No, Sister!" Triad Orange gasped. "We can't risk the Cadets, they're not ready!"

"The Reservists are," Triad Neutral said quietly. "They have to be. They have to go now, while we recall the other Legionnaires." She turned to Theena. "Do it."

"And hurry," Amber snapped. "I don't think we can last... AAAAH!" Amber's scream was followed by the Omnicom channel to Evolvo going dark.

Theena swallowed as tears fell down her eyes. This was worse than the most horrible monster movie she had ever watched. Triad Purple placed a strong hand on her shoulder. "We will get through this, Theena."

Theena wished she felt that confident.

IB's notes:

1) Evolvo used to be in the Workforce. After the Blight invasion (LSH 124-125, L* 81), Leland McCauley fired Evolvo and Spider-Girl and hired adults for his Workforce, in a bid to gain influence in the United Planets after RJ Brande and the Legion had been discredited because they had been used by the Blight. In canon, McCauley had become UP President but was murdered, his identity taken over, by Ra's al Ghul. I had it that after Ra's was exposed, Evolvo seized the opportunity to take over McCauley Industries.

2) Amber was introduced in L* 81. So was Sandstorm's "worldmate" Dune. However, because I had used Dune as part of my Monitor's army, I had to replace him with a new character. Lupine (along with Catspaw) appeared in L* 69 as potential Workforce members, but we never saw them join.

3) Karate Kid, Live Wire, Particon, Spider-Girl and Ultra Boy used to be Workforce members too, and all served alongside Evolvo. I have it that Spider-Girl chose not to return to the Workforce or MCCauley Industries, as she didn't want to be burned again after McCauley had unceremoniously and suddenly fired her. Evolvo had always been sneakier and had less ethics than Spider-Girl did, too.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/28/18 07:58 AM.
Re: Monster Mash (Post ZH Legion)
Invisible Brainiac #948251 04/28/18 01:26 PM
Deputy
Deputy
IB some good emotional moments here and the start of something new!

Berta's grandma is so sweet and strong and i loved her speech and even though Berta still choose to step down as leader it was great to see the support she has around her. Berta is very lucky.

The mini speech F'e1lpz got was also nice and a really good reminder about what it takes to be a hero.

Evolvo what have you been up to?
Mutants ravaging across the McCauley industries sounds scary but i can't wait to see the battle and all the cadets at work.
Hopefully Amber, Sandstorm and Evolvo are ok.

Looking forward to more.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Invisible Brainiac #948255 04/28/18 02:32 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hi Omni, thanks for the comment!

I love grandmas in general, and Berta's grandma is a very good example of one wink

F'e1lpz will be a good addition to the Cadet program, for sure! Maybe not Legionnaire material, but I can see him in the Science Police wink

Ah, Evolvo. He and McCauley were two peas in a pod...

Well, we'll see what happens to Amber, Sandstorm and Evolvo... wink

Re: Post ZH Legion: Volume 4 Moving On (April 28, 2018)
Invisible Brainiac #948380 04/30/18 04:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Over Luna

Active Legionnaires

Apparition, Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl; intangibility
Babbage, I-45ENG/Nth Series of Robotica; combat mechanoid
Chameleon, Reep Daggle of Durla; shapeshifting
Cosmic Boy, Rokk Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis
Gates, Ti'julk Mr'asz of Vyrga; opens teleportation disks
Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu; morphs into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes
Karate Kid, Val Armorr of Omega Colony (Earth colony: Japan and Myanmar); skilled martial artist
Live Wire, Garth Ranzz of Winath; electricity generation and manipulation
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; generate and control harmful and beneficial microorganisms
Particon, Jennifer Sanchez of Earth (India and Philippines); "hard light" energy casting and manipulation, disruption of energy flow
Rebound, Chuck Taine of Earth (Canada and Uzbekistan); inflates into a durable bouncing form
Spark, Ayla Ranzz of Winath; electricity generation and manipulation
Spider-Girl, Sussa Paka of Luna; prehensile hair
Ultra Boy, Jo Nah of Rimbor; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers and flight, but can only use one power at a time
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; shadow casting
Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings). Anti-energy being.

Chemical Kid, Condo Arlik of Phlon; controls chemical reactions (probationary pending completion of Legion basic training)
Inferno, Dirk Morgna of Earth (USA and Russia); pyrokinesis (probationary pending completion of Legion basic training)

Cadets and Reserve Legionnaires

Beastmaster, Ilshu Nor of Lallor (Hero of Lallor seconded for training); transform into any animal
Vapor, Tal Nahii of Lallor (Hero of Lallor seconded for training); transforms her body into gases

Amp, Ming Sul of Earth (Korea and Taiwan); amplifies the natural abilities of self and others
Arachno of Arachnidia; enhanced abilities of spiders
Brawler of Moxie; super-strength and durability, can mind-mesh with machinery to control it
Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume and digest all forms of matter, conversion of digested matter into super-strength
Cannus of Anthropologia; skilled tracker, canine senses and abilities
Catspaw, April Dumaka of Earth (Ghana and Tanzania); enhanced agility, speed and claws
Chlorophyll Kid, Ral Benem of Mardru; plant manipulation
Comet Queen, Grava of Quaal III; super-speed flight and emission of comet-like gases
Crystal Kid, Bobb Kohan of Earth (Brazil and Peru); crystal generation and manipulation
Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal); controls his body's density; increasing his density grants a degree of strength and durability
Dragonwing, Marya Pai of Earth (Singapore and Tibet); breathes fire and secretes acid venom
Echo, Troy Stewart of Earth (South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago); sound manipulation
Flying Fox of H'lven; levitation and other abilities
Gravity, Tel Vole of Earth (Cambodia and Thailand); gravity manipulation
Hotshot, Staq Mavlen of Shwar; breathes fire
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau); underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Mandalla, Tari Wahlmunn of Takron-Galtos; projects a thought-sphere that affects the target's mental and physical functions
Night Girl, Lydda Jath of Kathoon; super-strength in darkness
Porcupine Pete, Peter Dursin of Earth (Jamaica and Mexico); ejects quills from his body
Rainbow, Dori Aandraison of Xolnar; rainbow-based light powers
Retro, Deen Toro of Retcon; touch-triggered ability to rewind time, but leaving those affected with a memory of "future" events
Spectrum, Ulu Vakk of Lupra; changes the color of people and objects
Sizzle, Teela Spuunvll of Abaddonus; absorbs and redirects energy
Splitter, Floyd Belkin of Lallor; ability to detach his limbs from his torso
Stone Boy, Dag Wentim of Zwen; turns self into stone
Tellus, Ganglios of Hykraius; telepathy and telekinesis
Tomb, unpronounceable of Sarccus; controls others' bodily functions
Veilmist of Khundia; teleportation
Vision, Rhent Ustin of Earth (Egypt and Spain); microscopic, telescopic, heat, freeze, and hypnotic vision

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

As the Cadets around him murmured about their instructions before leaving Legion World, Chemical Kid instead replayed the last words he had shared with Invisible Kid before leaving.

"Be careful, Condo," Lyle had said as they kissed. "I know you feel pressured because you were taking Legion basic along with the Cadets, but..."

"I need to do this, Lyle," Condo had said gently.

"I know, I just want you to be careful... and don't try to beat the monsters if it feels dangerous. Remember, the most important part of being a Legionnaire is to keep people safe."

"I know, I know. All those hours studying the Legion Constitution really helped," Condo had chuckled.

Lyle had smiled, before they turned to listen to Triad give the briefing. She had stressed that, for the Cadets and Reservists, this was strictly a volunteer mission. In fact, the danger had been such that even the Active Legionnaires had been asked to volunteer - though everyone available had. Too many other Active Legionnaires were on other missions, though, which is why only the dozen or so actives - plus him and Dirk - were there.

Condo mentally kicked himself. He and Dirk had talked about this. If they kept thinking of themselves as second-rate Legionnaires, the Cadets would so, too. Catching Amp and Lamrey with their heads together, Condo made sure to hold his head up high as he walked over to the Thresholds. Those two were among the most dedicated Cadets, and he and Dirk definitely felt a little pressured to outperform them.

"Okay, Cadets," Cosmic Boy said as they gathered around the open Threshold. "Remember, as soon as we go through the Threshold, our agreed-upon groups form and go directly for their objectives. Does anyone have any questions?"

"Just one - does the winning group get an invite to active membership?" Brawler grinned. Condo rolled his eyes. The upcoming Legion tryouts had made some of the Cadets more than a little too eager to prove themselves; nearly all of those who had volunteered were gunning for a seat at the membership table. Nearly all of those who had not volunteered were those who felt they weren't ready, for some reason or other. Of course, there were some who had other goals for joining the Cadet program: Yera wanted to make it as an actress and thought the training would give her valuable stunt-person skills and publicity, while Zaron Lux had his eyes set on a key post in the United Planets' strategy and intelligence arm.

Umbra's normally stern face darkened. She was one among the Active Legionnaires who had the highest expectations of the Cadets, and Brawler had ran afoul of her before because of his irresponsibility. "This mission is about saving lives, not your personal glory," she hissed. "Do your job and worry about the rewards later."

Brawler began to protest, but Ultra Boy elbowed him in the ribs. "Enough, Brawler," Ultra Boy warned.

"If there's nothing else..." Cosmic Boy asked. Nearly three dozen heads shook no.

"Okay, here we go. And everyone... be safe."

Condo's heart leaped as they jumped through the Threshold...

... and into what seemed to be a war zone. They were on the surface of the Moon... but what had once been the gleaming complex of McCauley Industries was now a shell of its former self. As he tried to adjust his bearings, he heard Babbage transmit a warning as loudly as it could. "Everyone, get down!"

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Vapor instinctively turned to gas as she entered the Threshold. Though she didn't quite understand how, she was happy that her gaseous form was somehow protected by a transuit AND allowed her to see and hear. By all accounts, she should not be able to, but... Brainiac 5 had explained it as "intelligent design"; that is, the theory that super powers were meant to be an evolutionary advantage, and so evolved to allow their bearers to function well, more often than not. She...

"Cut it out," she told herself. Here she was, on her first "real" mission as a seconded Cadet. She, and Beastmaster had agreed to let the flag of Lallor fly high during their time on Legion World! Grife knows they were only here for training, but they had to show that Lallor's heroes were just as good as those of the Legion. Why, that border world Xanthu had produced no less than five Legionnaires... Lallor was so much more central to the United Planets than Xanthu was...

As she exited the Threshold, she forgot her train of thought as something large barreled through her gaseous form. She heard cries from behind her as it struck something. She turned in horror to see a creature covered in spikes slashing at Babbage.

"Be alert!" Babbage warned as it grappled with the creature. It was too late to prevent damage, though; Bits of wiring were peeking out of Babbage's arm.

"I'll help you!" Vapor zoomed around the creature's nose and mouth. "I've changed to a sleeping gas and..." She gasped to herself. "It's not working!"

"Get clear!" Dark bands appeared around the creature, yanking it away from Babbage. Bits of webbing followed, pushing the monster back. But Vapor watched with a sickened gasp as it wrenched Babbage's head off with it.

"I'm on it!" Apparition flew straight at the creature and held out her hands. As her intangible form flew through it, she grabbed Babbage's head. "Uh...!" She gasped. "It's strong..."

"Allow me," Babbage intoned. A blast of energy shot from its mouth, passing harmlessly through Apparition. That burst of energy was enough to dislodge Babbage's head from the creature's grip, and Apparition flew over to Babbage's body.

"How did Babbage know Apparition was phased?" Retro whispered.

"You really should listen more carefully," Amp whispered back. "Remember, our flight rings are all linked, and in turn they are linked to the clear lenses we wear. They allow us to perceive when others are using their powers - which is why Apparition's phased body parts appear as a lighter shade. It also allows us to see Invisible Kid when he's Invisible, identify the Durlans when they're shapeshifted..."

A useful feature, indeed. And it showed that the Legionnaires, a tight fighting force as they were, weren't all that without their technology. Of course, Vapor had to admit that it was the Legion's ingenuity that had invented the flight rings first...

They were interrupted by Ultra Boy stepping up to the creature, which struggled against its bonds. "Stay back, all of you," Jo Nah warned. "I'm invulnerable now. We don't know what this is capable of." He held up an Omnicom. "Brainy, I'm scanning and sending to you..."

"It definitely is - or was - a McCauley Industries employee," Brainiac 5's calm voice could have been talking about the daily weather control report. "A security guard, Ylandra Scheentara?"

Particon gasped. "I knew Ylandra. We used to have coffee together..."

"Let's bring her back to Legion World, then," Live Wire suggested. "She can help us understand what's going on..."

Before he could finish, the ground beneath them erupted.

Comet Queen's eyes widened as creatures of nightmare poured out of the ground. "I'll blind them!" she shrieked as she let forth her comet gases.

"No, Grava!" Rebound called. "They can't see, but we can't, either!"

"And we need to, to fight back... AH!" Spark was cut off.

"Oh no... I'm sorry, starshine!" Grava whimpered. "I've made things worse!" She quickly zipped through the gases and grabbed Spark, pulling her away from the behemoth attacking her. Spark clutched her bleeding side. "Take me far up, please," she said weakly." I'll make sure it doesn't follow us." A blast of electricity erupted at the creature, forcing it back.

"Let's clear the air," Insect Queen shifted into a gigantic Steeplian Fan Moth, and let her wings blow the gas away. "Good call, Lonna," Chameleon said as he took the same form. "I love how encyclopedic your knowledge of insects is..." Lonna gave him a grateful wink, and soon the gases were blown away. At the same time, Ultra Boy was shepherding Cadets away at ultra-speed.

"Everyone stand back!" Microbe yelled. "I'll try to slow them down..." She gasped as she held her arms out, a tell-tale greenish glow around them. "I'm throwing everything I can at them, but nothing's working..." The ground erupted again, and Microbe flew into ther air.

"I have her!" Gates said as he opened a teleportation disk behind Microbe. It opened far up, and a shaky Drura emerged - but her leg was bleeding.

"We need to slow them down..." Umbra unleashed her darkfield at the creatures. "Now that we're all away from them, you can use your comet gases, Grava," she snapped. Grava wilted at Umbra's pointed look. "I'm really sorry, it was a nova-big boo-boo," she murmured as she blasted her comet gases at the creatures again.

"I'll help," Chemical Kid said as he hovered above the sphere of darkness. "I don't really understand their biology, but they ARE organic, and I think I can slow them down..." He grunted as he closed his eyes.

"I'll help you," Amp said as she flew behind him, hands glowing red as she boosted his powers.

"I think it's working..." Chameleon said as he flew closer to Microbe. "Hmmm, Drura's not..."

His words were cut off as the creature bound in Umbra's darkfield and Insect Queen's webbing snarled. With a heavy roar, it broke free! "What in..." Gates screamed as the creature slashed at his abdomen. He quickly flew back and teleported away as he clutched at the gash. Another teleportation disk took a groaning Microbe to safety, as well. Chameleon loomed at the creature, stretching his body to wrap it up. Before he could, though, it opened its mouth and let loose a stream of energy. "Aaaah!" Chameleon's body shook as it lost cohesion.

"No way!" Inferno radiated a beam of intense heat at the creature, driving it back.

"Good job, Dirk," Wildfire flew past and aimed at it. "Now let's retake our prisoner..." He let loose with the anti-matter, driving it even further back.

"Legionnaires, listen!" Brainiac 5's voice came over the flight ring array. "These creatures seem to be able to adapt and evolve in a matter of minutes of exposure to a new stimulus!"

"This just gets better and better..." Umbra snapped. "I'm thickening my darkfield, but I can feel them fighting against it. That explains why..."

"Then... this won't last long..." Chemical Kid grunted as sweat appeared on his forehead. Beside him, Amp was shaking from the strain as well.

"You heard them, Cadets! Let's blast them!" Dragonwing snarled as she took a deep breath.

"NO!" Rebound bounced in front of the assembled Cadets. "Remember, they adapt to our powers. If we hit them all at once, it will give them a chance to equilibriate."

"I agree," Cosmic Boy said. "We need a better idea."

"How about burying them?" Inferno suggested. "Buy us some time..."

"Excellent. Ultra Boy, help Wildfire. Everyone else, aim at the ground!" Magnetic tendrils radiated from Cosmic Boy's arms, and chunks of rock and metal began slamming into the creatures encased in Umbra's darkfield dome. Multiple beams of energy followed. Soon, the area was covered in rock.

"I think that bought us some time," Cosmic Boy said. "Now, let's help..."

"Too late," Ultra Boy said grimly. He held up Wildfire's helmet. "Brainy was right. The creature somehow adapted to Wildfire's anti-energy, and ripped his containment suit apart.It's gone now."

A chill settled over the group, punctuated only by the gasping of the injured.

"Okay, status report," Cosmic Boy looked around. "Chameleon, Gates, Spark, Microbe are injured, and Wildfire is out of action. And Babbage..."

"I will need time to repair myself," Babbage intoned. "Unfortunately, it will take at least two cycles..."

"Okay, the six of you need to get back to Legion World. Then come back with reinforcements. The rest of you..." Cosmic Boy breathed in deep. "We have seen how dangerous this is, firsthand. Any Reservists who want to leave, we won't judge you..."

"R'i'm roing rack!" Cannus rasied his hand right away. "Just like in your tryout,*" Catspaw muttered. "Cowardly canine..."

"That's fair, Cannus. Anyone else?" Cosmic Boy asked.

"Wait, can you guys get back by yourselves?" Live Wire asked in concern as he knelt over Spark.

"We'll be fine," Spark smiled as she weakly pushed her brother's arm away. "Our flight rings and transuits are already beginning to dull the pain, but we do need medical attention..."

"I already called a Threshold," Particon said. And as if on cue, the familiar blue-white triangle appeared and a Kwai flew out, followed by droids with stretchers. In short order, the Kwai was flying back through the Threshold with Gates, Spark, Microbe and Chameleon on stretchers, and Babbage's parts and Wildfire's suit. "I can see Wildfire's energy form following," Inferno said as he used his ability to see heat signatures.

As Cannus began running to follow, Cosmic Boy turned to the others. "Last chance - anyone else wants to go?"

Some of the Cadets, such as Chlorophyll Kid, made as if to move. But nobody did.

"Okay, if you're all sure..." Cosmic Boy began. But just as Cannus' tail vanished into the Threshold, it winked out.

"Uh... Particon to Legion World control, what the sprock happened? One of our Reservists almost lost an appendage!"

The silence that followed was deafening.

"Does this mean...?" Lamprey's voice was tinged in fear.

"Yes," Spider-Girl said as she looked up from her Omnicom. "We're cut off from Legion World. Welcome to Luna, everyone...we're now stranded here."

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
IB's notes:

1) Cannus was a finalist in the Legion tryouts in Legionnaires 43, but was rejected for running away in fear from an attacker in the final exam.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/19/21 11:27 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #948467 05/01/18 08:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

McCauley Industries, Luna (Earth's Moon)

Active Legionnaires

Ultra Boy, Jo Nah of Rimbor; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers and flight, but can only use one power at a time
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; shadow casting

Inferno, Dirk Morgna of Earth (USA and Russia); pyrokinesis, can see heat signatures (probationary pending completion of Legion basic training)

Brawler of Moxie; super-strength and durability, can mind-mesh with machinery to control it
Mandalla, Tari Wahlmunn of Takron-Galtos; projects a thought-sphere that affects the target's mental and physical functions
Porcupine Pete, Peter Dursin of Earth (Jamaica and Mexico); ejects quills from his body

I know you're all afraid. I am too. Even after all my years as a Legionnaire, I still get this feeling in the pit of my stomach on some missions. And I'm not going to lie, this is one of them. I want you all to know, though, that there is no shame in being afraid. All of us are, to some degree. But as every Legionnaire has learned, the scary parts of the job won't go away." - Cosmic Boy

Inferno reflected on Rokk's little pep talk. The Legion's first leader certainly had a way with words; Dirk had felt calmer after hearing them. Cos somehow knew how to connect with his audience and make them feel heard. No wonder the other Legionnaires still spoke of him with a degree of reverence.

Well, most of them, anyway.

"This is boring," Brawler sighed as he kicked a rock. It zoomed mere centi-klicks away from Sizzle's leg, earning Brawler dirty looks from the red-skinned girl, Mandalla and Rainbow.

"Watch it, nasshead," Sizzle spat. "I don't care how bored you are, don't be an idiot."

"Well, this IS boring!" Brawler snapped back. "I don't care what Cosmic Boy said, I'm not the least bit scared, and I want in on the meat of the action!"

"I'm bored too," Mandalla grumbled, "but I know better than to sneak away from my post. It's important to keep a perimeter, so the other teams can bring survivors to safety."

"And even if we did sneak away," Rainbow added, "we wouldn't do so with you!"

"That's enough," Inferno cautioned. "You saw how suddenly those monsters burst out of the ground earlier. We have to be on our guard."

"That's right," Umbra said, tendrils of dark energy coiling around her. "I expect more seriousness from you. Especially you, Brawler, I have my eye on you."

"Why just me?" Brawler protested. "The others also suggest sneaking away!"

Umbra waved a hand dismissively. "They know better, don't you, girls?" Rainbow blanched. Umbra had been extremely firm when Rainbow had joked about breaking ranks earlier. Dirk wished Brawler had as much sense.

"I agree," Ultra Boy added as he rubbed his temple. Jo had been using penetra-vision to keep watch, and Dirk had learned that Jo preferred to keep invulnerability as his default power now - especially after Apparition had given him a good talking-to after their return. Yet he alone among their squad had any powers for keeping watch; Dirk could see heat signatures, but not through soil and rock. "Take it from me - I used to work for McCauley - and the tunnels under us are a maze. And not very safe, either." He paused for a moment as he reoriented himself. "Just be glad that all of us former Workforce employees could break off from our other missions to join the team here. McCauley always preferred keeping things confusing in case raiders or pirates, and it looks like Evolvo saw the advantages too."

"Not just pirates, right?" Mandalla offered. "I heard more than a few whispers of McCauley's business dealings while I still lived on Takron-Galtos. He kept his trail hidden, but there was always someone who knew somebody else who spoke about smuggling, bribing,counterfeiting... all without proof, of course."

Jo shrugged. "Yeah, if there was anything like that, he made sure to keep it a secret - even from us. The number of times he'd take a call privately... Of course, Evolvo was always eager to use his intellect to curry favor with McCauley..."

"And Spider-Girl too, no?" Rainbow asked. She stared boldly at Ultra Boy, not bothering to conceal her contempt. Rainbow was one of the more opinionated Cadets.

"Hey, I've worked with Sussa a lot, and her heart is in the right place," Dirk offered.

"Yes. She may have stayed with McCauley longer than most of us, but she has really been an asset to the team," Jo said, not a little heatedly. Dirk knew that Jo no longer had feelings for his ex-girlfriend, but Dirk thought that Jo wouldn't have enjoyed being tarnished by association with McCauley. None of the former Workforce members were particularly proud of that part of their lives.

"Enough chatter." Umbra's voice was regal; Dirk and Condo joked that she always had a Planetary Champion voice. "We are here to maintain a safe zone. Let's make sure we do so!"

"Wait a minute..." Porcupine Pete's voice trembled ever-so-slightly. "Is it just me, or is the ground moving?"

The group fell silent. Inferno and Umbra turned to Ultra Boy, who was frowning. "I don't see anything, but it would be a good idea to get airborn..."

He never finished his sentence. The ground spat forth a column of rock, and a particularly large piece hit Ultra Boy right in the chin. Lacking the time to switch from penetra-vision to invulnerability, Jo Nah slumped to the ground, blood pooling around his head.

"I'll get him!" Night Girl jumped forward. "He looks hurt pretty bad... Oh!" Lydda barely stopped in time to dodge a large boulder that fell where she had been running.

"Watch out!" Dirk yelled. He couldn't see what was causing the ground to fly around, but it stood to reason something was manipulating it. "Elementary physics - look at the pattern of the rock! Something else else is throwing it up like that!"

"Then that something had better prepare for my darkfield!" Dark bands blasted from Umbra's hands, flying towards the source of all the flying rock. They hit something, which gave a roar of pain.

"All right, let's do this!" Rainbow began to glow.

"Wait!" Dirk shouted. "Let's try to see what we are dealing with, first!"

"Bah, it's clearly invisible. Let's just get in there and hit it!" Brawler jumped forward, an eager smile on his face. Something else else caught him in mid-leap, though, and threw him back with a painful-sounding crunch.

"Uh, I think Inferno had the right idea...." Sizzle muttered.

"Indeed." A mask of concentration appeared on Umbra's face, and her darkfield began to spread along the surface of the creature she was attacking. Soon, it covered the creature's entire form. Dirk almost wished it hadn't; the thing looked like a cross between the Omniphagos and the Glass Mountains of Sirius Minor; a large hulking humanoid form with jagged spikes all over.

"Oh, grife..." Mandalla said.

"Okay, now that we see it, let's help Umbra out!" Dirk flew up to where he could get a clear shot at the monster's head. "None of our powers will cancel your darkfield out, right, Umbra?"

"I don't think any of you can generate sufficiently intense light, but it would be best to focus on heat," Umbra said as she intensified her blast.

"Got it." A stream of heat surged forth from Dirk's hands. Sizzle hovered beside him, soaking up the heat energy he was emitting. She fired as well; by absorbing stray heat energy, she could reduce the amount that was wasted. The monster growled and began to take a step towards them.

A translucent sphere appeared around the monster's head, halting it in its tracks. Mandalla's thought-sphere; it began causing the monster to thrash around. Thankfully, it also confused the monster, causing the fountain of rock to stop.

Night Girl began to move forward again. "Now's my chance to reach Ultra Boy," she said. "Just try not to radiate too much light in my direction..."

Dirk shook his head. He appreciated Lydda's calm, focus and sensible thinking, but it was difficult enough to watch out for teammates in battle. Her weakness to light made it difficult for many of the team's energy-casters to work alongside her. Suddenly, he got an idea. "Umbra... can you surround Lydda with your darkfield?"

"Why... yes." Umbra smiled as she realized what Dirk was suggesting. "Brilliant idea, Dirk." Darkness flowed from Tasmia to surround Lydda, who gasped. "Oh...this feels great!" She doubled her efforts to sprint towards Ultra Boy's prone body.

Rainbow began glowing in a variety of colors and added her own light energy to the mix. "Yes, pour it on!"

Dirk cried out at the intensity of Rainbow's attack. It felt like an aurora exploding in his brain. "Rainbow, no! Your light is all over the place - focus!" It was to painful. Dirk felt his own attack cease. Grife, he thought. If it's weakening me, then what about...

"Use your training - pinpoint laser beams!" Umbra screamed. "I can barely keep my darkfield up..."

"I'm losing my strength!" Night Girl added. "I can't keep going..."

"Too late!" Porcupine Pete yelled. "Monster's free, get down!"

The ground erupted again in a fountain of debris.

Dirk reached out beside him and yanked Sizzle away. Switching to heat signatures, he could make out the cooler body of the monster against the blinding ambient energy left behind by Rainbow's attack. He flew as far away from the monster as he could, Sizzle in tow. As soon as he had gotten far enough away, he turned around, heart in his throat. Silently, he and his companion landed on the ground.

Mandalla was comforting a sobbing Rainbow. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Dori was wailing. An unconscious Brawler was still sprawled out on the ground, where he had flown after the monster hit him. Porcupine Pete knelt, clutching what remained of Umbra's cape. Night Girl was staring at the distance, muttering. "I wasn't fast enough..."

Of both Umbra or Ultra Boy, there was no sign.

Dirk swallowed. He was the only Active Legionnaire left. He suddenly felt very, very unprepared. Awkwardly, he reached out to Dori. "Dori, I need you to get ahold of yourself. We will need everybody."

Dori shook her head, and buried her face in Mandalla's shoulder. Mandalla awkwardly patted Dori's back, but her pleading eyes were looking at Dirk.

"What... what do we do know..." Sizzle stammered.

Dirk breathed. "We call in to the other teams, see what Cosmic Boy and the others say, and get Brawler awake." He forced himself to look each of the others in the eyes. He needed to give them courage. "We will need everyone to stand together, to make it through this."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/08/18 03:05 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #948475 05/01/18 09:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Active Legionnaires

Live Wire, Garth Ranzz of Winath; electricity generation and manipulation
Rebound, Chuck Taine of Earth (Canada and Uzbekistan); inflates into a durable bouncing form

Beastmaster, Ilshu Nor of Lallor (Hero of Lallor seconded for training); transform into any animal

Crystal Kid, Bobb Kohan of Earth (Brazil and Peru); crystal generation and manipulation
Dragonwing, Marya Pai of Earth (Singapore and Tibet); breathes fire and secretes acid venom
Echo, Troy Stewart of Earth (South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago); sound manipulation

The best way to face danger is to acknowledge it. We're stranded on Luna, and there are powerful monsters that can adapt to our abilities. That just means we have to work together, and be smart." - Cosmic Boy

"I'm just saying, we could create a more effective cordon," Beastmaster shook his head, his voice getting louder and louder. "Chlorophyll Kid and Crystal Kid have powers that can create barriers!"

"But again, we have one problem," reminded Echo. "We don't know what these masters are capable of, and we don't know where they will come from. We need to keep our vision unobscured."

"I agree with Echo," Rebound said. "We've been through this, Beastmaster. Yes, Ral and Bobb can help, but we are keeping their powers in reserve until we have survivors to protect. Right now, we need a better idea of terrain!"

"Who made you tactician?" Beastmaster snorted. "Just weeks ago, you were the non-powered Chief of Logistics!"

"That's uncalled for!" Echo said. Beside him, Dragonwing tensed. "Apologize, or you'll get a fireball in your face!"

"Stand down, everybody!" Live Wire's voice was authoritative as he stepped into the middle of the group. "We can debate and still be civilized, Beastmaster. And I appreciate you defending Rebound, Dragonwing, but let's ease off the physical threats, okay?"

Both Beastmaster and Dragonwing breathed a deep sigh. Echo watched silently; their situation had frayed many nerves, and the tension was showing. Besides the heightened tempers of Beastmaster and Dragonwing, the normally pessimistic Crystal Kid had barely said a word since their group had positioned themselves on the far side of McCauley Industries. Hotshot's lisp had become more pronounced, as had Chlorophyll Kid's stutter. Tellus' telepathic link kept shutting off; the Hykraian was having a tough time maintaining it and scanning for monsters. The fact that Tellus was the only one in their group, save perhaps Beastmaster and Echo himself, who had powers that could detect movement made it all the harder.

"I appreciate you wanting to fortify our position," Live Wire continued, "but we've done all we can while still giving us enough room to move. Crystal Kid has set up a small crystal wall; it's non-flammable, so Dragonwing and Hotshot will have room to work. Echo is monitoring the ground vibrations, while Tellus is watching out for alien thought patterns. You can help by covering either the visual or olfactory spectrums. I'm sure you can think of a form that can do both? Because I can't, but surely you know something." Garth gave a small wink to Chuck as he said so. Troy grinned despite himself, and Garth's knowing glance showed her understood.

"Yes," Troy added, using just the right amount of reverence in his voice. "You ARE our expert on exotic fauna."

"That's why we chose you for this assignment," Rebound nodded.

Beastmaster paused for a moment, the corners of his mouth quivering into a smile. Despite his attempts at stoicism, everyone knew how he loved getting his ego stroked. "I suppose the Enwan Night-Wolf can help; it's almost deaf, but it evolved excellent eyesight and a sense of smell to adapt to the harsh winds and storms of Enwa..." Without another word, the hero from Lallor had transformed into a canine form with a pronounced snout and large eyes. Nodding to the group, it trotted off.

"Grife, that Lallorian is SUCH a pain..." Hotshot muttered.

'Lallor does have its own hero group, small as it is," Rebound said. "I know it doesn't make Beastmaster very easy to work with, but he is determined to prove Lallor is just as good as any other planet. Especially considering Lallor's historic semi-rivalry with Earth..."

"And Lallor, despite similarities to Earth and Xanthu, doesn't quite have as many post-humans..." Echo observed. "Though I hear they government is taking steps to increase that number..."

"I'm not surprised," Live Wire said carefully. "Lallor does occupy a strategic location..." Garth frowned suddenly. "Wait... there's something wrong with the crystal wall..."

Everyone turned to look at where Garth was pointing. It seemed like the wall was darkening, somehow. Echo quickly reached out with his powers. "The crystal... it's vibrating. So faintly I could barely feel it..."

"But I can't sense a thought!" Tellus' deep voice flared in Echo's mind. "How...?"

"Be ready!" Live Wire said as he flew up. "Remember, we don't know what's out there -"

His reminder was drowned out as the crystal wall exploded outwards. Crystal Kid dove with a cry. Echo quickly reacted, letting loose a sonic scream that vaporized the crystal shards flying towards him. "Get it together, Bobb!" Troy said, trying to be encouraging.

"Yes, shield us!" Chuck added. He knelt beside Bobb, shaking him. "Come on, snap out of it!"

"I... I can..." Chlorophyll Kid stammered as he dug into his belt pouches. "I think I... oh no!" A seed fell out of his grasp. "Not that! No, I used my powers without thinking!"

A bush with blue leaves and orange blossoms began to grow. "That's Malean Narcoroot! It gives off a sleeping spore..."

"Burn it, now!" Garth commanded. Dragonwing and Hotshot stood side by side, and began to exhale streams of fire. Marya gave Staq an eye; their not-always-friendly rivalry was remarked upon by most of the Cadets. Having near-identical powers - and with Inferno already in the Legion - had made both Cadets extremely competitive.

"Echo, Tellus, with me!" Garth flew towards the crystal wall. "Let's keep our distance until we know what we're dealing with!"

"I'll call Beastmaster back," Chuck said as he twisted his flight ring. "I'm picking up his beacon..."

"No need!" A large, winged avian form appeared over the crystal shards littering the ground. "I came as soon as I heard! And I see what caused the wall to blow up!" Folding his wings, Beastmaster dived towards the ground. "It's some kind of purple blob...!"

"Don't go near it!" Garth cautioned. "We don't know what it can do!"

But it was too late. As Beastmaster descended, a black, inky liquid flew up to meet him. It ensnared the Lallorian, who flapped his wings in panic.

"Tellus, can you try to disentangle him with your telekinesis?" Garth looked.

"I'm trying..." The Hykraian blinked in frustration. "It's too much to move... I fear Kinetix would do better..."

"You have to stop comparing yourself to Kinetix or Saturn Girl or Mentalla," Echo said gently. "They may be more skilled in telekinesis or telepathy, but you combine their skills!"

"And we'll help you," Garth added. "Echo, let's weaken the blob." Troy nodded, and he directed his sonic scream at the section of the inky arm just below Beastmaster. He watched as electricity and sound mingled in a concentrated blast.

"It's working..." Tellus thought. "I'm peeling the arm away..."

"Change form, Beastmaster!" Garth directed. Thankfully, the Lallorian hero complied, shifting to a tinier bat-like form. He flew through the arm that had caught him; it flailed around, but Tellus' telekinesis was keeping it from closing.

"I've got him," Troy flew up towards his teammate. Judging by the way he was flying, Beastmaster was exhausted and possibly mildly injured.

"Uh, guys?" Rebound's voice came over the flight ring array. "We need some help here..."

"Let's go!" Live Wire commanded. Towing Beastmaster along, Echo followed Live Wire and Tellus down. He gasped at what they saw.

Inky black tendrils were closing in on their teammates from all directions. Rebound was trying to pull a cowering Crystal Kid to his feet, while Chlorophyll Kid was huddling behind Dragonwing and Hotshot. The two fire-breathers were keeping some of the tendrils at bay, but they were soon to be overwhelmed.

"Let's give them air support, team!" Garth directed. Blasts of electricity and sound made some of the tendrils fall back. "Stay airborne," Garth cautioned Tellus and Echo as he flew down.

"Shouldn't we follow...?" Tellus asked. Echo shook his head. "Last thing we need is for us to get caught too. But be ready to move if anyone needs help."

"Get clear, you three," Garth told Hotshot's group as he headed towards Chuck and Bobb. Bobb was shaking as he got to his feet. "I'm sorry, I just froze..." Bobb stammered.

"We need you to get your head in the game, Bobb," Chuck said gently. "Come on, let's join the others... Marya! Break off!"

Hotshot and Chlorophyll Kid had taken to the air, but Dragonwing was holding her ground. "Not a chance! I can stop these things!" Echo swallowed. There were too many tendrils around her...

"No!" Rebound yelled as he ricocheted towards Dragonwing. He slammed into her, knocking her backwards just as a large black tendril the width of a Mardruan Arbol slammed into where she had been standing...and where Rebound now was. The round Legionnaire spluttered as he vanished in a sea of ink.

"Oh no, oh no!" Dragonwing fell to her knees as she saw what happened.

"Hold Beastmaster," Echo told Tellus as he flew down past the stunned Hotshot and Chlorophyll Kid. He yanked Dragonwing to her feet. "Marya, we have to go, now!"

"But... but... it's my fault!" Dragonwing's eyes were wild as she clutched Echo's shoulders.

"Listen to me, Marya!" Echo snapped. "Don't let Chuck's sacrifice to help you be in vain. Now, come on!" Marya, still dazed, nodded; but thankfully, she took off into the air. They rejoined Tellus, a shaky Beastmaster, and Hotshot and Chlorophyll Kid in the air.

"Okay, we need to calm down. Let's go find Live Wire, and..."

"Get out of here!" Echo's head snapped around as he looked towards where Live Wire and Crystal Kid were. Bobb was flying towards them as fast as he could, but Garth was surrounded in the biggest ball of lightning Echo had ever seen him throw. All around him were inky tendrils.

"I'll hold it off, but..." Garth's next words were drowned out as the tendrils slammed into him. In seconds, he was drowned.

Troy closed his eyes. He didn't see any way they could free them. "We have to get out of here. We can't help them, and we don't want to be next." Six fearful faces looked at him and nodded. Turning as one, they flew away as fast as they could.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/08/18 03:06 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #948583 05/04/18 06:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Active Legionnaires

Apparition, Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl; intangibility
Particon, Jennifer Sanchez of Earth (India and Philippines); "hard light" energy casting and manipulation, disruption of energy flow

Amp, Ming Sul of Earth (Korea and Taiwan); amplifies the natural abilities of self and others
Comet Queen, Grava of Quaal III; super-speed flight and emission of comet-like gases
Veilmist of Khundia and ??; teleportation

Workforce members

Amber of Dendron, projects a sap-like gel
Evolvo, Sev Tcheru of Lallor; shifts self between human evolutionary states, including a super-strong ape-man and a telekinetic, hyper-intelligent futuristic human
Lupine of unknown, wolf-like humanoid form
Sandstorm of Mica, body composed of animate dust particles

The main reason the Legion has endured and thrived for so long? It's that we know how to work together. That's why we continue to be held up as a standard of diversity and cooperation. - Cosmic Boy

Apparition smiled at Amp, whose eyes were narrowed in concentration. "I could get used to this," Tinya said encouragingly. With Amp's power boosting her own, Tinya had made many of her squad intangible - besides Amp and herself, Comet Queen was oohing and aahing as she phased through jagged bits of debris, while Veilmist was forging on ahead with a big smile on her lips. Behind them, Particon was shielding the rest of the squad with her energy powers. It was slow going, as Arachno, Flying Fox and Gravity had to stick close to Jennifer so they could be covered by her shield.

"So could I," Amp said. She was beginning to enjoy the possibilities of using her power to boost someone else's, so they could affect her too - what would it be like to shrink or grow like Violet, or to turn into gas like Vapor? There were not many powers she could use this with, but the thought intrigued her. Doing so could expand the types of missions she could succeed at... The thought made her feel a little better about not pushing her powers enough to cover the entire squad. The team had agreed that reaching Evolvo and his Workforce members was the biggest priority, and they could do it faster with just the most necessary team members.

"Like, starshine, so could I! This is mega-nova-amazing!" Comet Queen was positively gushing as she loop-the-looped overhead. Initially morose at being called out for blinding the team with her comet gases upon their arrival on Luna, she seemed to have forgotten her worry.

"Simmer down, Grava," Amp warned. "We're intangible, not inaudible!"

"Bah!" Veilmist scoffed. "We are Legionnaires; we don't need stealth. Only the defenseless do." The lithe, pink-skinned female was striding along determinedly; despite her voluptuous figure and seductive manner, Amp had noticed that she became rather brusque when no men - or at least, when no men who were intrested in women - were around. Density and Gravity had certainly been surprised when they had tried to kid around with her.

"Amp is right, you two," Apparition said firmly. "Remember, our objective is to rescue Evolvo. We won't be able to do that without some element of surprise. And besides, not everyone is invulnerable or untouchable." Apparition gave a wry smile. "I once died because I forgot that, you know."*

"Like, meteor mash, we wouldn't want that!" Comet Queen squeaked. She quickly clamped her mouth shut and began to fly along more quietly.

"Hmph," Veilmist gave them all a glare full of contempt. "I'm ready for battle. Aren't we there yet?"

"Just about..." Apparition said. "... here." The four of them came to a stop in front of a spacious waiting room which had seen better days. Hover-chairs lay scattered on the floor, a shelf of books - original paper antiques - was overturned, pages littering the carpet; ceramic vases remained only in pieces. Ominously, the large ornate doors at the end of the room lay shut; there was a hole in the wall that was now sealed shut with rubble. "Evolvo's office..." Tinya pointed. "Okay, remember the plan?"

"Plans are for weaklings!" Veilmist laughed. She vanished with a pop.

"Oh...!" Comet Queen's eyes bulged as she looked from where Veilmist was, to Apparition and Amp.

"We have to go after her," Amp said determinedly. "She's already blown our cover, and who knows what could happen. I watched the logs; Evolvo and company were under attack when comms were cut."

"I agree," Apparition said. "We have to get in there. Let me just..."

"Allow me. Amp to Particon..." When Particon answered, Amp held her flight ring up to Apparition. She wanted to show she had initiative, but she also knew how much the Legion valued teamwork; she didn't want them to think she wouldn't follow the mission leader. As Apparition smiled in thanks, Amp silently felt relief. Looks like she had made the right call. All those hours of studying the Active Legionnaires' interactions during missions was paying off.

"Jen, this is Tinya. Veilmist broke ranks. We're going in. Catch up when you can."

"Understood, we're ten minutes behind. Don't murder Veilmist too much."

"There'll be time for that later," Tinya said grimly. "Let's go, girls. Stay close so we can maintain intangibility."

Amp held her breath as they stepped through the closed doors...

... but she couldn't help but gasp as she saw what was behind them.

Veilmist was struggling, her arms straining as she flailed through the ear. Yet, nothing was holding her up - nothing visible, anyway. In front of her stood a pale-skinned, vaguely humanoid beast. Its oversized cranium was nearly as large as its body, and Amp shuddered as she watched the blood vessels criss-crossing its bald head bulge. Its body, however, was diminutive, which made Amp wonder how it held up its head.

"Is that Evolvo?" she whispered to Apparition.

"Most likely. I'm guessing he's using telekinesis. Watch out for that," the brunette directed.

"No time for that! Comet Queen to the rescue!" Grava zoomed straight towards Evolvo. She lowered her head in preparation for a headbutt.

"Grife... Might as well try to make this count," Amp said. "I'll boost her speed..." At Apparition's nod, she concentrated her power on enhancing Grava's own, making sure to boost her durability as well. One issue Amp still often had was remembering which specific abilities to boost; after testing on the Daxamites she found that she could selectively boost certain traits only, if she wished. This meant she had to be conscious about whether she was affecting every important trait.

Grava slammed into Evolvo with a thud. The evolved humanoid scowled, fixed his eyes on her, and sent her flying back, where she crashed into a wall and fell unconscious.

"Yup, definitely telekinesis..." Apparition muttered. "Ask Particon to hurry. He's choking Veilmist!" Tinya dove her intangible form through Evolvo's head, causing it to shriek. As it clutched its head, Apparition followed with a kick to his head. The shrieking stopped as Evolvo slumped tothe floor, unconscious. So did the form of Veilmist. Amp ran to check on her. "She's out, but alive."

"Good," Apparition said. "No sign of the rest of the Workforce, but I'd like to be sure before we get out. Evolvo should be stunned for a few minutes..."

"I guess we're a little late for the party?" Apparition and Amp turned as the large ornate doors burst open. Gravity's hands were glowing gray; a sign of his powers in use.

Particon looked around. "So that's a mutated Evolvo, huh?" Without missing a beat, she directed the others. "Arachno, get Veilmist and Comet Queen out of here. Apparition, Flying Fox, let's do a quick search. Gravity and Amp, keep watch..."

"I comply." Arachno's voice sounded like rusting leaves. She swiftly wrapped the forms of Veilmist and Grava in webbing and tucked them under her arms.

"Don't go too far, Fox," Particon called. However, the tiny Cadet had disappeared around a pile of rubble.

"Come back, Fox," Gravity yelled. "Remember our search-and-rescue class!" Amp stopped herself from rolling her eyes. Gravity was studious, which she respected; but he too often cited rote theory instead of spelling out the practical principles behind the best practices. To Amp, that made the difference between memorizing facts and being able to apply them in situtations. "Yeah, we wouldn't want to have to rescue you too, in case you get into trouble," she added.

"I'll get him..." Particon began. Before she could finish, though, the little Cadet slammed against the wall near the door. Particon knelt down and gasped. "Let's get out of here. His fur is covered in sap..."

She was interrupted again, this time by a loud crash at the far end of the room. What Amp guessed were the mutated forms of Amber, Sandstorm and Lupine came charging towards them.

"I'll take Sandstorm!" Particon encased the creatures' dust particles in an energy sphere.

"Amber's mine. Gravity, you have Lupine..." But as Apparition flew towards the orange-skinned female, a blast of webbing zipped through her and into Amber's face. "Arachno, no!"

With a snarl, Amber, now several meters taller and with extra hands, stretched her arm out. Sap-like gel shot out, snagging Arachno and causing it to slip.

"Gravity!" Amp yelled. The lean Cadet had been standing open-mouthed. "Oh, sorry, it just threw me..." Activating his power, Gravity lifted Arachno, preventing her from crushing Veilmist and Comet Queen.

"Great. Now you need to stop the Workforce, while I get our teammates out of here." Amp increased her strength and helped Arachno stand up. "You need to go now, Arachno."

"I believe you are correct, Amp," Arachno said. Amp could tell she was abashed that her attempt tohelp had not accomplished anything. Arachno quickly scooped up the unconscious Flying Fox, and made her way to the door.

Amp turned back to the battle. Gravity flew towards Lupine; it had sprouted spikes and fangs and was flailing about wildly. With a flick of his wrist, Gravity caused Lupine to float to the ceiling, then slammed him into the ground, knocking him out. Meanwhile, Apparition had flown through Amber, causing her to shriek and fall to her knees. Turning solid, she grabbed a metal rod and slammed it into Amber's head, knocking her out.

"That seems to be a wrap," Particon said. "Now, Amp, if you will give me a boost so I can make my energy prison last longer, and Gravity, if you will help me bury Sandstorm..." Particon's sphere glowed a brighter pink as Amp helped her. Gravity stepped up to act. "Should I make Sandstorm sink, or maybe jettison it past the atmosphere..."

Before anyone could answer, Amp felt herself thrown forward. Thinking quickly, she used her powers to boost her reflexes and agility, and flipped her body around to land safely. She turned around to stare in horror as Gravity and Particon tried to get up. Evolvo was towering above them. "You hurt me!" It shrieked, though without moving its mouth.

"Its telepathic?!" Gravity clutched at his shoulder.

"He is now, it seems," Apparition was grim as she charged forward. "Get back, now! I'll handle him!"

"You will not. I can seize your mind!" Apparition shuddered as she stopped in her tracks. "He's making me tangible..." She put her hands around her throat as she began choking. "No..."

"Let me help!" Gravity raised his arms. Evolvo began to move back slightly, then stopped. "He's fighting back..." Gravity said, fear creeping into his voice.

"Try again." Amp put her arms on Gravity's shoulders. As both of them strained, Evolvo began moving back. He blinked once, then bared his teeth. Amp could feel the force pushing against her as she strained. Evolvo smiled cruelly as he held his arm out. Amp felt her strength give out as both she and Gravity collapsed to the floor. Evolvo turned his attention back to Apparition, whose eyes began to bulge. Her feet began kicking as Evolvo choked the life out of her.

Particon staggered to her feet as they did, and a staff of pink energy formed in her hands. "Get the others and go, now!" Before Amp or Gravity could do anything, Particon had run forward and leaped at Evolvo. With a cry, she drove her staff into his brain. Evolvo screamed, and Amp shielded her face in a vain attempt to blot out the whiteness. She felt Gravity clutching at her. "Use your flight ring!" she yelled, as she willed herself to fly backwards towards the door, as fast as she could. She felt herself slam into something soft; gripping it with her free hand, she realized it was one of the hover-couches in the lobby.

"Are... are they...?" Gravity stammered as he caught his breath. Amp was silent as she stepped forward. The glow had faded, but she still saw some dark circles.

"Are you okay?" Arachno's raspy voice sounded.

"Check in the room and tell us what you see," Amp said, trying to keep calm. "Be careful, Evolvo might still be there!"

She heard Arachno's legs shuffle as she moved towards the door. Amp could feel her heart in her throat. "All I see is a whole in the floor..." Arachno said quietly. "And the hole leads nowhere."

"Oh my grife..." Amp heard a plop as Gravity sat down. Amp shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. She could barely think, her head was hurting so much.

"... let's go find the others," she heard herself say. She sounded braver than she felt.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) Apparition "died" during the White Triangle War, but somehow survived as her intangible form anchored itself to Ultra Boy's invulnerable body. She got better when she merged with one of her bodies - she's half-Carggite, after all.

Invisible Brainiac #948738 05/07/18 12:33 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Active Legionnaires

Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu; morphs into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes
Karate Kid, Val Armorr of Omega Colony (Earth colony: Japan and Myanmar); skilled martial artist

Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume and digest all forms of matter, conversion of digested matter into super-strength
Catspaw, April Dumaka of Earth (Ghana and Tanzania); enhanced agility, speed and claws, cat-like senses
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau); underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Vision, Rhent Ustin of Earth (Egypt and Spain); microscopic, telescopic, heat, freeze, and hypnotic vision

Every Legionnaire has been through situations that seemed hopeless. However, we have all succeeded through them with help from our friends. - Cosmic Boy

Lamprey floated quietly along, taking care to follow the small white triangle that marked Tomb's back. That was the only spot of color she could see on him; the rest of his body was a blend of gray and black, camouflage courtesy of Spectrum so their little group could sneak along. Sadly, because Spectrum affected physical objects rather than minds, he was not as effective as Sensor would have been at hiding them. But it had to do. Their mission was to sweep through McCauley Industries, and find and rescue any non-mutated survivors they could.

So far, that had been zero.

She sighed inwardly, trying not to be discouraged. Although some other Cadets - like that squaj Brawler - were motivated more by ego and glory, Lamprey was one of those who just truly enjoyed the job of a Legionnaire. Helping others, inspiring others. What happened here, at least what they had seen so far, raised so many questions in her mind. Could the mutated be cured? How had this happened, was someone responsible for this or had it been a freak accident? How could this have gone on undetected, and could it have been stopped earlier?

She and Amp had discussed many of these questions during the briefing, and had raised them with Triad. But Lamprey knew they had to do their jobs now, and worry about the rest later.

So now here she was, floating behind Tomb, Calorie Queen behind her. Vision was taking the lead with his telescopic vision; sadly, unlike Inferno, he couldn't see heat signatures and so Spectrum's colors were confusing him. Insect Queen, however, had taken on the form of a Imskian Glo-beetle and could see each of them, so she was in the rear. Catspaw couldn't see, but she could smell. And Karate Kid... as far as Lamprey understood, he was keeping out of their way through sheer concentration. The four of them were mainly responsible for detecting any survivors.

Lamprey glanced behind her at where Calorie Queen was. She knew Taryn was as determined as she to make the Legion, perhaps more; Taryn was probably in the top three of Cadets alongside Amp and Echo, now. Dedicated as she was, Lamprey just wasn't quite as fast a learner. But if Taryn was anythiung like Amp, she was probably getting a little bit frustrated... she thought of saying something, then decided against it. Stealth was the most important thing, after all.

She fell silent as Vision spoke up. "I think I see something." There was silence for a few seconds. "Could you describe what you see, Rhent?" Calorie Queen said quietly. Then Vision sheepishly coughed. "Ah, I forgot I was camouflaged."

"It's okay," Lamprey tried to reassure him. Poor Rhent was one of the more nervous Cadets by disposition. "Just tell us where to go."

"Up ahead, about five klicks..."

"I'll scout ahead," Karate Kid said quietly. "I know the terrain, after all." Lamprey nodded, though nobody could see her. It had been rather fortunate that the same five Legionnaires who used to be Workforce members had all been recalled for the mission... one for each sub-team. "Catspaw, can you smell what Vision is seeing?"

"I smell... something..." Catspaw said tentatively. Not cautiously; none of the Cadets would ever call April that. She sounded confused, though.

"Then you come with me. The rest of you stay here; Catspaw and I need to be quick in case we don't like what we see."

Lamprey focused her eyes as the small triangles marking Catspaw's and Karate Kid's forms faded into the distance. She sighed inwardly as she settled in to wait.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Calorie Queen sat as patiently as she could. Beside her, she heard faint rustling; probably Lamprey or Spectrum or Vision. Tomb was naturally silent, and she knew Insect Queen was too experienced. But Vision was naturally nervous, and Lamprey had tried to speak to her a couple of times. Taryn hadn't wanted to be rude, but she had reminded Tayla that they had tobe as stealthy as possible. Socializing outside a mission was one thing, and Tayla was one of the best Cadets at that - she was always inviting everyone to study groups or to picnics and the like. But she had to improve in reining in her tendencies during missions.

Taryn scolded herself inwardly as she willed her mind to focus. Hidden as they were, they still needed to be vigilant; that was the advice Chameleon and Triad had given her when she inquired about the Legion Espionage Squad. She had heard that other Legionnaires whose powers weren't suited to permanent squad membership could be pulled in from time to time; and Triad's observational and acting skills which had earned her a spot too, despite her powers not being quite as stealthy as the rest. Well, Taryn really wanted to be a Legionnaire, and one way to do that was to show she could be competent at different types of missions. So she did her best to concentrate.

Minutes passed. Taryn resisted the urge to reach into her belt pouch and check her Omnicom for the time. Spectrum hadn't changed it color, and it could be a tell-tale signal.

Finally, the monotony was broken by Insect Queen's quiet voice. "Something else else's wrong."

"How do you know?" Spectrum asked tentatively.

"Their flight ring signals went dead," Insect Queen replied flatly. "Spectrum, lose the camouflage. We need to move fast."

"Finally!" Vision hissed, as they all came into view once more. Insect Queen had already taken to the air. The Cadets quickly followed. Lonna had already shifted into a different form. "With this, I can track their footprints... When we catch up to them, priority is to get them and run. Calorie Queen, that's you and me. Tomb, if they're injured, you see to them. The rest of you, cover our escape. Got it?"

The Cadets answered in unison as they flew behind Insect Queen. In minutes, she came to a stop.

A large slug-like creature was oozing its way along. Insect Queen gasped and dove to the side. Calorie Queen could see her picking something up.

"Spectrum, can you reverse your powers on them?" Calorie Queen directed.

"I... I can do Catspaw, but I don't know where Karate Kid is..." As Spectrum stammered, Catspaw came into view in Insect Queen's arms.

"i am here..." Karate Kid's voice sounded. Lamprey quickly pointed and shot a weak stream of water in his direction. It cascaded over Val's form, revealing his location. Spectrum smiled in gratitude as Karate Kid reappeared.

"Be wary," Val began. "Just being near this thing... is draining... energy."

"Then we shouldn't get close," Calorie Queen started as she ran to Karate Kid. She grunted; she could feel herself getting weaker.

"She might not make it," Lamprey said. "Vision, Tomb, we need to distract that thing!"

"I..." Vision stammered. "Use your heat vision!" Lamprey hissed. But before Vision could act, Tomb had stepped forward. The silent Cadet raised his hands, and a yellowish glow appeared. The monstrous worm released a loud shriek as a gash appeared on its side.

"Careful, Tomb, we don't want to kill it," Insect Queen cautioned as she set Catspaw down. "But keep driving it back, we need to buy time. Spectrum, get Catspaw out of here... Calorie Queen, Karate Kid is yours. The rest of us can buy you time."

Lamprey's eyes glowed as she concentrated on trying to find a water source nearby. It was so frustrating to be one of the Legionnaires whose powers depended on an outside source, so to speak; she could control water, but not create it. She had been working with various Legion tutors to learn how to draw water out of ambient water vapor, but this depended largely on the external environment. She knew this frustrating limitation presented an obstacle for her advancement...

... ah, there! A sewer beneath them. "Be careful, everyone, it's going to get wet in here. Vision, can you heat up the water I'm going to draw?"

As her timid teammate stammered in the affirmative, Lamprey began to pull large amounts of water through a crack in the floor. "Now, Rhent!" Vision's heat vision surged forward, super-heating the stream of water that she directed at the leech. As it shrieked in pain, she gave silent thanks that her gamble had paid off; its vulnerability to Vision's earlier heat vision attack meant it was susceptible to heat.

Buoyed by her efforts, Tomb's lips crept into a twisted smile as he caused more wounds to appear in the leech's side. Lamprey trained the superheated water on these gashes, causing the leech to scream even more.

"Good job, everyone," Insect Queen said with pride. "Catspaw and Karate Kid are already recovering. Now, let's get ready to break away."

"Okay." Lamprey pressed her attack a few more seconds, enough to deter the leech some more. Than she stopped and flew after Insect Queen. Vision followed.

"Wait... where's Tomb?" Karate Kid said. He was leaning on Calorie Queen; a good sign, as earlier she was carrying him. Eyes narrowed, he looked into the distance while Spectrum tended to Catspaw beside him.

"Oh no..." Lamprey saw Tomb, still with his back to them, arms still outstretched. Gash after gash appeared in the leech's side. She yelled into her flight ring. "Tomb, come back here! We're all clear!" Tomb ignored her strident calls.

"Ugh..." Calorie Queen shook her head. "I think he's enjoying cutting loose. He always has to hold back during practice, but we've observed how he is in the VR room against VR opponents..."

"I'll get him." Insect Queen took to the air, and changed into the form of a giant spider that Lamprey recognized as being from Arachno's species. Lonna spat a glob of webbing at Tomb. But before she could retrieve him, the enormous leech raised its head up and slammed it into the ground. Tomb just barely dodged, throwing himself to the side just in time. Still, the impact sent him flying back.

"Somebody get him!" Insect Queen shrieked as she threw webbing at the leech.

"I'm feeling better, I'll help you!" Catspaw hissed as she flew forward.

"I'll go too!" Spectrum volunteered eagerly.

"So will I!" stammered Vision.

"No, wait!" Lamprey said. "Let Insect Queen handle it!

"This thing leeches powers, remember!" Calorie Queen pointed out as she started for Tomb; with her super-strength, she could get him easily.

"That's right! Stay back!" Insect Queen was already shifting forms. "I'm turning into a Tenazorian Giant Wasp, which preys on leeches, but I don't think this thing has any natural predators..."

Spectrum and Vision had stopped, but Catspaw still bounded forward. Lamprey cursed as she darted after the catlike Cadet. She wasn't fast enough though; Catspaw leaped at the leech, scratching its side. As the leech roared, Catspaw dropped to the ground. "Feeling... weak..."

"Sprock it, Catspaw!" Insect Queen yelled. She began firing stingers at the leech, but it was too intent on its new prey.

"Nass... I don't have a choice..." The redheaded Legionnaire shifted into a scorpion, and stuck her stinger into the leech. It reared its head and opened its maw wide. Then, it did something that Lamprey would remember until she was old and gray. The only way she could describe it was the leech vomiting millions of tiny leeches out of its mouth.

The group of Cadets stared in horror as Insect Queen tried to evade; but she was on the far side of the leech now, and having made physical contact, she was nowhere near as fast as she would be. The redhead threw up her hands in panic, but she was literally buried by the flood of vermin.

"No..." Calorie Queen gasped as she pulled Tomb to safety. Lamprey fought back tears as she willed her own flight ring ot pull herself and Catspaw back; she didn't dare hesitate, Catspaw was too close.

"Fly away, now." Karate Kid commanded as he bolted forward, past the Cadets. "What are you..." Spectrum began.

"Stopping this as best I can." Without another word, Val took up position beside a damaged beam holding up the ceiling. Before any of the Cadets could react, he aimed a kick with pinpoint precision. And before Lamprey could even call out his name, the ceiling creaked and buried Karate Kid and the leech.

Lamprey knelt down, still trying to hold back her tears. This wasn't supposed to happen. It wasn't.

Calorie Queen sighed as she set Tomb down. She placed an arm around Lamprey, comforting her. Lamprey mutely nodded back as she forced herself to stand up.

"We'd better go," she said quietly, trying to control her anger at Tomb and Catspaw. That old song was correct; "if only" was really one pf the most painful phrases in the universe.

Invisible Brainiac #948771 05/07/18 09:28 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Wow IB, that was intense!! Poor Insect Queen and Karate Kid! I am not counting them out just yet, but that was really well depicted! I am looking forward to seeing how this squad particularly goes from here!

It's funny, you know how we all tend to come up with different variations on the same idea with our different series....I swear I had a giant leech thing that spewed out millions of baby leeches exactly like you just described somewhere in one of my plot thread ideas lol smile

I really like how everyone has separate and distinct personalities, and I am enjoying the Cosmic Boy quote at the start of every scene as a kind of linking theme as well...looking forward to more!

Invisible Brainiac #948779 05/08/18 03:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, raz! Happy you enjoyed the crazy things I'm putting these kids through tongue I was tempted to short cut this part, as I have 5 teams all going through a similar thing, so I'm glad you're enjoying the action and characterization!

Now I have to go find your post with your giant leech thing tongue

Up next: the last squad - will they fare better?

Invisible Brainiac #948877 05/09/18 04:56 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Active Legionnaires

Cosmic Boy, Rokk Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis
Spider-Girl, Sussa Paka of Luna; prehensile hair

Chemical Kid, Condo Arlik of Phlon; controls chemical reactions (probationary pending completion of Legion basic training)

Vapor, Tal Nahii of Lallor (Hero of Lallor seconded for training); transforms her body into gases

Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal); controls his body's density; increasing his density grants a degree of strength and durability
Retro, Deen Toro of Retcon; touch-triggered ability to rewind time, but leaving those affected with a memory of "future" events

Friends, the sentients here need us. Let's go and show them what it means to be a Legionnaire. - Cosmic Boy.

Density glanced at Chemical Kid as the two hovered along silently behind Spider-Girl. Jed couldn't get his boyfriend, Gravity, out if his mind; Jed knew that he need to perform well on this mission as it would impact his chances of becoming a Legionnaire. But at the same time, Gravity was out there - and he wasn't invulnerable or intangible. Not like Jed.

He envied Condo; Condo's boyfriend, Invisible Kid, was already an established Legionnaire. Jed and Tel had a problem not shared by most of the Cadets; they wanted to both get into the Legion, or failing that, be assigned near each other. And being in the Legion was the best way for that; if they both ended up in the Science Police, they could be posted on separate planets. They would have to spend precious leave credits to see each other. And for a couple that was extremely physical, maintaining a long-distance relationship would be unbearable. With the emerging new Threshold restrictions, they wouldn't be able to just jump across planets anymore...

"Keep your head in the game, Jed," Condo whispered.

Jed nearly jumped. He smiled in apology and embarrassment. "Sorry, Condo. I should stop being preoccupied..."

"About you and Tel, isn't it?" Condo's face softened into a smile. "I know, believe me. I understand what it's like to worry about being apart..."

"Yeah... we talked about opening our relationship up further, at least physically. But I know I have a tendency to fall; unlike Tel, who can separate sex from romance. So neither of us are comfortable with that idea..."

Condo nodded in sympathy. He and Lyle had never considered an open relationship, so he couldn't really empathize; but he understood why Jed and Tel were considering one for themselves. He gave Jed's shoulder a squeeze. "If you want to talk about it after this mission..."

"Let's. I'm sure we'll all need a day at the spa after this," Jed chuckled. They shared a smile, then went back to focusing on their mission. Their squad was had some of the most dedicated Cadets, or at least silent ones; Stone Boy was stoic by nature, perhaps because of the patient culture of Zwen; Splitter had only recently succeeded in his fight to get the Lallorian government to waive the requirements forcing him to return to Lallor after his Cadet training, and had not been shy about telling his classmates that his only alternative to returning to Lallor was getting into the Legion; and his Lallorian teammate Vapor was an established hero in her own right. The normally snarky Spider-Girl had made it clear she didn't enjoy chatting about her experiences as a Workforce member; and Cosmic Boy, though wearing a friendly and approachable disposition, was the paragon of professionalism. Retro had tried several times to start a conversation, and had failed miserably. Jed almost felt sorry for him; but then, the Cadet program had always been a diversion for Retro, who was among the least dedicated of the enrollees.

A sideways glance showed Retro muttering under his breath, while Splitter glared at him. Those two were such a contrast.

Abruptly, Spider-Girl stopped. "We're here," she said quietly. She traded looks with Cosmic Boy, who nodded. Spider-Girl 's hair flowed out behind her as she spoke. "You all saw the video. It will probably be extremely messy in there. Now, our job is to get in and find any data we can, to help us figure out what happened and how to stop it. You see any data banks, hard drives, encryptions, leave them to me. Anything physical, run a scan and investigate before touching. Now, just in case something is inside there, we subdue and contain."

"That's the job of us long-range combatants," Chemical Kid noted. "Me, Cosmic Boy, Vapor."

"Exactly. Density and Stone Boy, move in as needed. Retro and Splitter, keep your eyes open and assist me." Spider-Girl's hair tightened, a tell-tale sign of nerves. Density steeled himself. He had been in training sessions with simulated blood and gore before, to help prepare himself for the worst that he could see on the field; but knowing something was imaginary was so different from potentially seeing something in real life. He understood why even veteran Legionnaires would be a bit queasy.

Jed held his breathe as the doors opened.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Well, at least we got in without a fight," Retro breathed.

Splitter nodded, silently. He was paired up with Retro for the search, but they didn't need to speak any more than was necessary. Splitter detested Retro, and how he took his whole Cadetship for granted. And Splitter would never admit it, but he and Retro agreed on one thing: Splitter was secretly glad there had been no enemies waiting behind the doors. It would allow him to avoid dealing with the fact that his power was less-than-impressive in battle.

Twice now, he had had to face that, though. Once at his Legion tryouts,* and the second time during the retaking of Legion World.** He still kept thinking back to the tryouts though; he had come so close, to the final round... then he had cracked under pressure, his limbs detaching, and had just lain there as Umbra, Sensor and Magno had earned their flight ringd. Why, why hadn't he been one of the prisoners who had gotten expanded powers from the Monitor? If only he could animate his limbs while detached from his body...

"Spider-Girl, Cosmic Boy, we found something," Stone Boy called from a corner of the room. Splitter's heart leaped. Even Stone Boy, who couldn't move in his stone form, was potentially ahead of him for Legion membership! He had to keep his head in the game...

"Hm..." Cosmic Boy and Spider-Girl knelt down beside Stone Boy and Chemical Kid. Splitter tried not to look at the green-clad Condo; he had been one of the four who benefited from the Monitor's experiments, and Splitter envied the amazing amount of power Condo had gained. "Come on, Retro," Splitter muttered. "Let's search over there..."

"Oh, Retro, could you come here, please?" Chemical Kid called. "I have an idea." Splitter ground his teeth as he followed Retro over; after all, they were asked to stay in pairs, and Splitter wanted to be a team player. "Dag and I found a cracked Omnicom," Condo noted. "But Spider-Girl found that its drive is trashed. But if you use your powers..."

Retro shook his head. "Even with all the training, I can barely do more than sixty minutes..." he said. "I doubt we'll learn anything here."

"You could increase your range if you took training seriously," Splitter muttered under his breath. His eyes bulged as Retro looked at him sideways, though nobody else seemed to have heard. Grife! What would everyone think if they had?

"You should still try," Cosmic Boy said. "We don't know how long this has been broken. Better than nothing."

Retro shrugged as he took the Omnicom in his hands. Space warped around the Omnicom as he used his power...

... and it looked almost exactly the same, and still broken.

"Oh well, it was worth a try," Stone Boy said, shoulders falling. Splitter tried to hide the smile on his face.

"Well, let's keep looking," Spider-Girl said, standing up. "And remember to check your transuits. McCauley barely cared about worker health and safety. I doubt Evolvo is considerably better.

"Uh... guys?"

Everyone turned in the direction of Density's panicked voice. Splitter willed his limbs to stay together as he stared at what Density was pointing at.

"What the nass...!" Retro tried to steady himself, but his hands were shaky. He lurched over and began to throw up. Splitter almost felt like doing the same. In front of them, looming in the doorway at the far end of the room, was... was... he wasn't quite sure how to describe it. It looked like a series of humanoid bodies that had been stitched together haphazardly. The writhing mass of flesh had dozens of screaming heads, hundreds of flailing limbs... Splitter clutched the post he was leaning on. This was disgusting in a way the earlier monsters had not been.

"Those without long-range powers, get out of here!" Chemical Kid stepped forward, arms outstretched. His hands glowed green as he pointed. "I can sense some of the workings of its body... grife, parts of it are definitely from the Sol System..."

As Splitter gawked, he felt a hard tug. He looked down to see a long strand of red hair wrapped around his arm. "No long-range powers means you, Splitter!" Spider-Girl snapped. She was already herding Retro and Stone Boy ahead of her. "I'm not going to let my hair touch THAT!"

Before Splitter could turn to follow, he heard Vapor's warning cry. "Watch out!" The purple-and-yellow form of Density flew through the air, landing with a loud crash on a table, which cracked under his weight. "I'm okay..." Jed called groggily.

"Come on, quit dawdling," Spider-Girl said as she pulled at Splitter. "We have to get whatever data we have out... AAAH!" Splitter felt her hair flow away from his arm as Sussa was yanked into the air. Around her waist was a slim black tentacle. "Let go of me!" she screamed as she dug into it. Splitter cowered as another tentacle loomed over him. He screamed as it wrapped around his leg, pulling him up.

"Splitter! I've got you!" Vapor's gaseous form, with her normal head still atop it, rushed towards the tentacle holding Splitter. "Hm, muriatic acid won't work... how about chlyrine gas..." Splitter closed his eyes as Vapor worked. "This can't be happening..." he kept muttering to himself.

"Floyd, listen to me!" he heard Condo yell. "It has you by the LEG. Detach yourself!"

Spots of color appeared on Splitter's cheeks as he realized what Chemical Kid was saying. He willed his leg to detach, and with a yelp, he fell to the floor. As his head and shoulders hit, his world seemed to blacken.

The next few minutes passed by in a daze. Lying on his belly, Splitter watched as Retro dashed out the door. Vapor shot him a look of apology, then dashed off to the tentacle holding Spider-Girl. Both Cosmic Boy and Chemical Kid were dodging tentacles; Condo was doing better as he could slow down the tentacle's movements. Cosmic Boy had to rely on manipulating metal to stave off the ones attacking him.

Density shouted something, and he came running forward, muscles rippling as he swung a petrified Stone Boy around. Jed was batting off tentacles left and right, but more were swarming around him. Suddenly, one yanked him by a leg, jerking him up into the air; Stone Boy clattered to the floor.

He watched Spider-Girl raise her hand; her Omnicom was in it. She was saying something to Vapor, who shook her head in horror. But Sussa shouted back, and Vapor's face fell. She turned back into her flesh form, grabbed the Omnicom, and flew out behind Retro. Splitter wanted to shake his head. The data they had collected; it must be in that Omnicom. Of course, Getting that data out of here was the most important thing right now.

Chemical Kid flew to Spider-Girl, and began waving his hands around the tentacle that held her. It began to sizzle; Condo was likely trying to combust it. Splitter knew that Condo wouldn't be able to do too much, lest he burn Sussa.

Over on the far side of the room, Cosmic Boy let loose a barrage of metal shrapnel, driving them into the mass of tentacles surrounding him. They recoiled, and Splitter thought he heard a shriek of pain. Cosmic Boy began flying to Spider-Girl. Splitter wanted to scream, to warn him, but the words would not come out. A giant arm extended from the creature they were fighting, slamming Cosmic Boy against the ceiling. As the arm dropped, Splitter was at first not sure that what he was seeing was real; an unconscious Cosmic Boy's torso extended from the arm, arms dangling uselessly; but the lower half of his body was nowhere to be seen. He had been absorbed, somehow.

Condo turned with a cry. This was a fatal mistake; another arm slapped him out of the air, and he crashed into the floor near Splitter. Vapor flew back in, and she rushed to where Spider-Girl was. But before she could reach the Legionnaire, the redhead was yanked back into the middle of the mass of... whatever it was.

With determination etched into her face, Vapor turned to the sole remaining captive of the creature: Density. Turning into a bluish-gray mist, she surrounded the tentacle. It began to wither in front of Splitter's eyes. With a mighty flex, Density burst out of it and fell to the floor, breaking his fall with a crouch. Vapor landed beside him, and Splitter could see them yelling at each other. With one last pained glance, Density looked at where Cosmic Boy and Spider-Girl were being absorbed, and ran towards Splitter. Floyd Belkin felt himself being lifted, and saw that an unconscious Chemical Kid was on Density's other broad shoulder. A concerned Vapor stared up at him, looked into his eyes, mouthed something, then stood up. He felt her hand on his leg, and realized she must be reattaching his leg. She must have freed it from the creature, too.

Then all he could see was the floor, and in seconds he saw the open door they had entered through, as Density carried him away.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) Splitter tried out for the Legion in Legionnaires 43. He made it to the finals, but fell apart (literally) under the pressure of the final exam. Star Boy had commented that Splitter's powers would be useful in unnerving an opponent, but... really?

2) In Volume 3, Splitter was one of the captives who was too weakened upon being freed to join the fight against the Monitor. Check it out here.

3) In Legionnaires 49, Splitter, Vapor and Beastmaster appeared together as the Reboot "Heroes of Lallor".

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/13/18 01:45 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #948956 05/10/18 06:08 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Active Legionnaires

Inferno, Dirk Morgna of Earth (USA and Russia); pyrokinesis (probationary pending completion of Legion basic training)

Catspaw, April Dumaka of Earth (Ghana and Tanzania); enhanced agility, speed and claws
Veilmist of Khundia; teleportation

"Ral? We will get through this. I know we will." Hotshot sounded optimistic, but it did little to boost Chlorophyll Kid's spirits. Hotshot placed a reassuring arm around his friend's shoulder, then fell silent. Ral Benem was thankful; Staq was his closest friend in the Cadet program, and knew just what to say or do when he was feeling down.

Ral focused on breathing in deeply, like Legion psychologist Dr. Ryk'rr had taught him. He repeated the mantra he had learned: "you're here, you're okay, just stop and think..."

Dr. Ryk'rr had been such a dear. And sometimes he wondered, if maybe she had been on to something... he was generally a peaceful person, he hated violence... what was he doing, putting himself in dangerous situations like these, which had seen teammates possibly die? Was his self-esteem so low that he needed to be a superhero to feel better?

His hand rested on his pudgy belly as he tried to steady himself. He recoiled as he felt the rolls of fat. He hated it; every time he used the Legion World pool, he would wear a full-body suit because he could not bear being compared to his fitter teammates. Yes, Rebound was fat, but now it was tied to his power! Not like with Ral...

Oh grife. Ral's eyes bulged as he realized Rebound was captured by the monsters, maybe worse.

He closed his eyes and began to breathe again. He didn't want to die here. Not like this...

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Beastmaster sneered in contempt as he watched Chlorophyll Kid bury his face in his hands. Such weakness! Many of the others weren't much better. Hotshot was so rattled he could not control his fiery breath; nearly every second sentence he uttered was accompanied by a blast of fire. Crystal Kid had shut down, and was sitting quietly staring off into space. Tellus was so distraught he could barely maintain the telepathic link between them!

Only Dragonwing and Echo had earned his respect. Dragonwing had fire, no pun intended; she was a fierce and brave warrior. And Echo was just as brave... but he also had wisdom. Beastmaster grudgingly admitted to himself that Echo's restraint last battle had probably been what had saved him from getting captured.

Still, Beastmaster preferred acting quickly. That had saved his life on many occasions...

He stopped as he sniffed the air. In the form of a Kathooni Bloodhound, he raised his snout. Something else else was coming, fast...

"Look sharp!" he yelled as he leaped up using his flight ring. He could not see much in his form, but he could smell his prey. He opened his jaw as he surged forward, and prepared to bite down hard...

... and then his world exploded into blackness.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
"Brawler, Pete, Sizzle, no! Stand down" Night Girl watched as Inferno held his hands in front of the rest of her squad. Brawler, already angry at being taken out so early in their last battle, had been itching for a fight; Lydda was not surprised that he had met the attacking Bloodhound head on. She was a bit surprised that an animal native to her homeworld was here; Kathooni fauna typically only functioned well in darkness and relative quiet, and McCauley Industries was anything but.

She made her way to the felled animal cautiously. With all the light around, her strength was almost entirely gone. She tried to bury her frustration at that; she had known ever since she gained her powers that she would be ineffective on most UP worlds and in most situations. Sometimes she wondered why she still stayed on Legion World; Cosmic Boy was dating Kid Quantum, after all. Maybe it was her natural tendency to see things through. Although, Umrba's darkfield had given her hope. If there were some way to harness it... Maybe she could keep her strength...

She put her thoughts out of her mind as she turned the Bloodhound over. Good, it was still alive. "It's out, Inferno," she called. As the probationary Active Legionnaire, he was definitely in charge. Lydda thought everyone except Brawler accepted that, but then Brawler was no team player. And maybe Rainbow, but with her frequent mood swings...

She didn't finish her thought, but instead gasped as the Bloodhound changed shape in front of her. An unconscious Beastmaster lay in place. "Uh... Inferno?"

"Night Girl! Inferno!" Lydda looked up to see Echo, Hotshot and Dragonwing approaching. Without realizing what she was doing, she ran up to Staq and gripped him in a bear hug. "Oh my grife, we thought we were the only ones left!" She smiled as Staq held her back.

Another familiar voice nearly caused her to fall over. "We did, too," it called. Lydda quickly dropped Staq and ran over to Spectrum. "You made it, too!"

"Yeah, we did," Calorie Queen sighed as she set an injured Tomb down. "So I see that three of the squads made it."

"I think it's time for a council of war," Inferno mused as he looked Calorie Queen up and down. Echo nodded in agreement. "I see that the Active Legionnaires with you are missing..." he whispered. "It looks like the same thing happened to all our squads.

Lamprey noded in the affirmative. Lydda felt a chill run down her spine. If the veteran Legionnaires were gone...

She involuntarily squeezed Spectrum's arm more tightly. What chance did the rest of them have, then?

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

The Legion of Substitute Heroes appeared in Legionnaires 49 in the Reboot. I established that they continued on until they all enrolled inthe Legion Cadet program. Members included Blizzard and Microbe (now full Active Legionnaires); Night Girl, Hotshot, Chlorophyll Kid, Stone Boy, Porcupine Pete and Rainbow (all Cadets).

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/11/18 06:18 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #948967 05/10/18 11:53 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
This is great, IB! I love all the misfits coming together, can't wait to see where they go from here! laugh

oh re the giant leech thing.....I never actually got around to writing my one, but when I read your description it was pretty much the exact visual I had in mind....synchronicity strikes again!

Invisible Brainiac #948976 05/11/18 03:29 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks raz! it’s one big group of 42 (or it will be soon), but with so many, their numbers might be whittled down soon...

lol at synchronicity. great minds think alike wink

Invisible Brainiac #949028 05/11/18 06:13 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

********************************************************************************************************************************************************
"Comet Queen, keep low!" Gravity hissed, a little louder than he had intended. He began thinking of an apology, then shrugged it off. Grava wouldn't have cared anyway; you could yell at her and she would barely register your annoyance. And besides, none of the Active Legionnaires were here to monitor his behavior...

... and he was more worried about Jed, anyway. Tel sighed. Jed could be so easygoing... he wanted to be a Legionnaire as much as Tel did, but sometimes he didn't realize the implications of things. Just before they split up, Jed had joked about the mission being more dangerous than your typical gay male party...

Tel wanted to shake his head. Times like these, he wondered whether he was being too ambitious for his own good. Becoming a full Legionnaire seemed exciting, but now he understood firsthand the danger they were in.

Still, this was the best chance for him and Jed to remain together AND live comfortably. Everyone knew that a Legionnaire's duty allowance easily beat most salaries anywhere, and he and Jed wanted to live MORE than comfortably, if they could. And joining the Science Police or the Workforce or any other private security team would not give them the freedom or flexibility to demand they be assigned together...

"Tel? I... we... need you to keep focused," Amp whispered into his ear as she touched his forearm. Tel nearly jumped. Despite his revealing costume, he wasn't comfortable being touched unless it was by an attractive male humanoid. He forced a smile. "Sorry, Amp. I know, you need someone else to help calm our group down..."

"Yeah," Amp smiled. Gravity had rarely seen her do so, since the liberation of Legion World. She had been so focused on improving herself, that it was nice to see her relax again, for a bit. And admit that she wasn't Supergirl. "I mean, you're the most responsible one here, and you know how headstrong our classmates are..." She gave a sideways glance at Comet Queen and Flying Fox, who were flying a little bit too high despite either Amp or Gravity calling them down every few minutes; Arachno was prone to wondering off due to her strong predatorial instincts; and Veilmist was just spoiling for a fight. Gravity sometimes wondered how much of Veilmist's aggression was due to her Khundian nature, and how much was due to her Khundian mother's influence growing up...

"Anyway, I'm glad you're here," Amp smiled at Gravity as they flew along. They were using their flight rings to reduce the sound they were making. Gravity smiled back warmly. "Hey, I'm good for more than just study groups on UP law and interplanetary relations..."

Before Amp could reply, the relative silence above them was broken by a piercing scream of rage.

Amp nodded at Gravity and shot forward. Tel sighed to himself as he followed. When this was over, he was going to get a robo-massage and treat himself to a double sundae, diet be damned.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Veilmist, stop!" Comet Queen wrung her hands as she watched her teammate charge at a shadowy figure up ahead. "Like, nova burn... Arachno? Fox???" Grava squeaked her two other teammates also jumped forward. But what if these were survivors? What should she do? Last time she tried to use her comet gases, she made such a mess...

"What's happening, Grava?" Gravity said as he and Amp flew up alongside her.

"Veilmist made eyes on some lurky shadows over there," Grava pointed. "I tried to tell her to cool up, but she zipped over there and started attacking... then Arachno and and Fox did too... but I'm like, not absolute-zero that they're hitting enemies, you know?"

"A few minutes earlier, I would have said to use your comet gases to stall everyone," Amp mused. "But I think we need a more direct approach."

"I'll handle it," Gravity smiled. With a wave of his hand, he pulled Veilmist, Arachno and Flying Fox towards them. "I could have made them sink to the ground," Gravity noted. "But that would have left them vulnerable..."

"Thank the grifing grife nothing happend to you!" Grava wagged a finger at her three teammates. "You two are, like, the universal best!" she gushed at Amp and Gravity. They were so sensible!

"Cowards!" Veilmist spat, face contorted in rage. Without another word, she teleported away from them and back into the group she was attacking.

"Sigh, this is getting tiresome," Amp shook her head. She zipped off after Veilmist. "Veilmist, stop this instant until we know what we're dealing with!"

"No!" Veilmist shrieked as she cocked her fist. Amp could see that the half-Khundian was straddling a humanoid figure that had its arms held out in defense.She thought she heard sobbing. Not an aggressor, it seemed. Amp quickly grabbed Veilmist's elbow, and increasing her own strength, used Veilmist's own backward momentum to flip her over. A blast of webbing shot out and covered Veilmist's eyes; it seemed Gravity had talked some sense into Arachno. Good.

Amp turned her attention to the figure Veilmist had been pummeling, and recoiled. "Oh no..."

It was Retro.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/11/18 06:16 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #949039 05/12/18 03:46 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Retro moaned as Amp tended to him. "It looks like you're okay, though Veilmist almost broke your nose..." He stifled a scream as she put something on said nose. "That's not necessary!" he snapped. Using his power on himself, he rewound time a few minutes to just before Veilmist had hit him. "See, good as new?"

"You're very welcome," Amp said sarcastically. Behind her, he could hear Comet Queen muttering sarcastically, "What a gracious nasshead! You light the room up like a red giant!" He didn't care; he just wanted to get somewhere safe. His squad hadn't been able to protect him, and his rewind power wouldn't have helped if his head had been separated from his body by one of those creatures...

"Where's your squad?" Gravity asked, hands crossed over his chest. Retro wanted to roll his eyes. Tel Vole had never seen fit to speak to him; he usually hung out with the other serious students. Though Retro did think Tel and his boyfriend Jed had ogled him from time to time. Well, let them look; as long as they didn't mess with him.

"They're... somewhere behind me."

"How far?" Amp asked. She started uncomfortably into Retro's eyes. He returned the stare defiantly, then wavered.

"I... I..."

"You left us, is what you did!" A translucent gray cloud coalesced into Vapor; the Lallorian heroine was livid as she turned completely solid. Retro had rarely seen her do so, but he knew she took special care in the presence of those whose powers might react with hers, such as Comet Queen or Hotshot. "I wasted precious seconds catching up with you when you first ran out of the room, so I could give you Spider-Girl's Omnicom! You were the only one in a position to safeguard it! If you had stayed closer, I might have been able to save her and Cosmic Boy!"

Before Retro could retort, Veilmist had pushed Amp aside and seized his collar. "You ran away and abandoned your team?! You miserable vermin!"

"Easy, Veilmist," Amp said as she pulled the half-Khundian up and away from Retro.

"I.... I had to get the data safely away...!" Retro stammered.

"You ran away BEFORE I gave the data to you," Vapor fumed. "And you ran away again after! I had to leave the others behind to find you - and I was only able to do that because Chemical Kid and Splitter had recovered enough to help Density carry Stone Boy!" Staring daggers at him, she brought her flight ring to her lips. "Condo, I found him. Come on over."

"Oh, thank grife Jed is okay," Gravity said, positioning himself between Vapor and Retro. "And it will be good to boost our numbers. We can find the other three squads together."

"Numbers are useless if not everyone in the group contributes," Flying Fox said with a pointed glance at Retro. "All H'lvenite kits are taught that as soon as we can read." Retro glared at the little mammal, who glared back.

"Easy," Amp said, standing up. "We have to stick together. I'm sure Retro won't abandon us again, right?"

This time, her gaze was even more intense. Retro made it a point not to look away. "... Yeah. I won't." He wished he had as much conviction as he sounded.

"Luna to Stone Boy, wake up!"

Stone Boy shook his head as the world came into view again. It usually took him a few minutes to rouse himself, but training with Dreamer had improved his time significantly. Now, he could wake up fully in seconds... but no matter her patience and wisdom, she couldn't do anything about how long it took his power wore off. Once it did though, he was probably the fastest Zwennian alive in getting to alertness - a fact he was extremely proud of.

He sat up from his lying position in a flash. "Did we do it?"

The somber faces of Chemical Kid and Density stared back at him. "Sadly, not..." Condo said quietly. "We lost Spider-Girl and Cosmic Boy. Everyone else is okay though, and we've met up with Amp's group.

"What?" Stone Boy's jaw dropped. How could that be? Cosmic Boy was a founder, and Spider-Girl used to work on Luna for McCauley Industries! He had expected this team to be one of the most successful! "How did we lose them?"

"Many reasons," Vapor said grimly as she stared at Retro. Behind her, Splitter looked crestfallen. "Oh, not you!" Vapor put a reassuring hand on Splitter's shoulder. "You didn't abandon us..."

"Oh grife..." Stone Boy buried his face in his hands. "Maybe I shouldn't have turned to stone then... I could have done something else..."

"I needed something to use as a weapon," Density said calmly. Gravity was already by his side, holding his hand. "We did the best we could..."

"We'll just have to do better," Chemical Kid pointed out. "Come on, I finally made contact with Inferno. The other groups are all together, and we're going to meet up."

Stone Boy watched the grim faces of his companions as they turned to follow Condo, Amp and Vapor. He was almost afraid to ask for full details of what had happened.

As a child, he had been taught the benefits of his Zwennian hibernation. It refreshed physically and mentally. But now... he was beginning to wonder if he really had a place on a team of super-heroes.

Flying Fox crept forward stealthily. Though his powers allowed him to fly, he decided that crawling on the ground was the better approach. He was confident he wasn't making any more noise than was needed, and he was more confident he could keep out of sight that way.

Focusing his eyes, he observed the meeting point carefully. He had heard the discussion; those who had taken leadership had decided to do this to keep their hotheads from "beating each other up". Sometimes, these humanoids made Fox want to hit them all on the heads with acorns. On H'lven, everyone knew who was in their group and who was not; more importantly, once a leader was established, everyone fell in line. These humanoids with their constant power struggles...

He kept watch, hidden in an alcove. "All looks clear. And you, Catspaw?"

"Same, little rodent," she replied teasingly over the flight ring network. Flying Fox chuckled. Before joining the United Planets, H'lvenites would have run away from someone like this feline female. But now, they knew they could trust other species... to an extent.

"I detect nothing as well," Tellus added telepathically. The poor thing still had trouble communicating verbally over the flight rings, and preferred to broadcast in this manner.

"Okay, then," Echo said. "Let's meet up, gang."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/18/21 04:47 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #949041 05/12/18 04:24 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Dragonwing rolled her eyes for the umpteenth time as she listened to the "ruling council" debate. That was the nickname Sizzle had given those who had taken charge. Marya thought her teammate - and some others - held a bit of resentment, but Marya didn't mind so much. She herself wanted to be a Legionnaire to help others and to beat up bad guys - it was good work, and exciting. Leadership never really appealed to her, and she was all too happy to let these others take on the responsibility.

What she herself did dislike was the endless talking in circles.

She glanced over to where the "ruling council" were standing. Brawler and Beastmaster and Veilmist were on one side, arguing for a full-frontal assault rescue mission to find the captured Legionnaires. Chemical Kid, Inferno, Amp, Vapor, Echo, Gravity, Calorie Queen and Night Girl were also taking part; and to a lesser extent, Density and Lamprey and Mandalla. Most of the others chimed in from time to time, even Sizzle and the usually quiet Tellus and Vision. Towards the edge of the group, Dragonwing was sitting with Arachno and Catspaw, commenting from time to time but mostly silent - neither of the three particularly liked talking, but they were making an effort for the good of the group. It was really only Splitter and Retro who seemed the most out of it. Chlorophyll Kid had too, at first, but Marya had seen him doing those breathing exercise things he usually did. And Crystal Kid had pulled himself out of his funk too. Marya had overheard Echo talking to him, telling him to stop worrying about freezing during their earlier battle.

Marya wanted to shake her head. Bobb would need to learn that fights were scary. Sure, there was more to being a Legionnaire than that; but nobody could avoid violence in that job!

"When will they finish?" Catspaw said silently as she stretched her back. "I know we have to be "team players", but this is getting tiring."

Arachno nodded as she shifted into a more comfortable position. "Our teammates don't seem to understand how difficult it is for us to sit and plan. We are all, by nature, very instinctive, no?"

"I don't have instincts like you do, Arachno," Dragonwing began. "But I know what you mean. I'm more of an acting type than a thinking type."

Catspaw sighed. "At least we are better at controlling ourselves than those three..."

Arachno and Dragonwing nodded in agreement. By now, everyone had heard about Brawler, Beastmaster and Veilmist all going half-cocked. With a bit of shame, Dragonwing thought that she was almost in that category; Rebound had sacrificed himself to save her.

She fell silent as she replayed that event. Grife, if she had moved when told to, Rebound might be here with them...

Catspaw cocked her head as Dragonwing began to tune out. "Hey, Luna to Marya."

"Oh...!" Dragonwing snapped back. "Sorry, ladies. I just..."

"What is it?" Arachno asked. Catspaw cocked her head again. It wasn't like Dragonwing to hesitate. "Come on, Marya. We know you well enough. When you want to say something, you say it. Something else else's bothering you."

"I... I just..." Marya swallowed, then continued in a stream. Catspaw nodded as Dragonwing poured out her guilt over not breaking off in battle, and how Rebound had had to save her.

April nodded sadly as Marya finished. She remembered her own team's encounter, and how she had attacked a monster insteaf of retreating like the others had said. Would Insect Queen and Karate Kid have been able to escape if she hadn't?

"Believe me, Marya, I can relate..." she began. And she poured out her own feelings. As she watched Dragonwing and Arachno listen in empathy, she began to relax a bit. Maybe talking wasn't so bad, after all.

Arachno stretched her legs out as she listened to Dragonwing and Catspaw. Or Marya and April, as they preferred to be called while relaxing. This was another thing alien to her; on her world, nobody had names. They could identify each other based on their other senses, so there was no need for names.

Except for Tangleweb, of course. She still shuddered. Tangleweb had kidnapped and killed humanoids and eaten their brains to become more intelligent. He had adopted the worst aspects of technology and corrupted them in order to terrorize her homeworld. When the Legion came and caught him and his followers, there had been celebrations as her people were freed from his tyranny. And when her world had finally been accepted into the United Planets, she had been chosen to go and learn more about the outside universe.

She approached her task with curiosity, but she often felt genuinely bewildered.

Like with her earlier actions. Sometimes, she didn't understand when she should help a teammate in need, and when she should leave them alone as she would only "be getting in the way". How to determine which was which?

She settled down as she listened to Marya and April discussing. This could be a good way to learn even more.

Invisible Brainiac #949043 05/12/18 06:24 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Sizzle was starting to get bored. Brawler and Veilmist were not showing any signs of backing down, though Beastmaster seemed to. Vapor had a lot of influence with him, and had finally gotten him to listen. These other two, though...

She didn't really have any strong opinions on either of the two proposed courses of action. A full assault on the monsters? Okay, if they could find out where the monsters were nesting, why not? She felt the group had enough power and stealth to scout for the other Legionnaires - if they were still alive. She definitely opposed the full attack that idiot Brawler was pushing for.

The other course of action did seem more sensible, though. As Amp and Chemical Kid and Echo and pretty much everyone else had pointed out, there were many advantages to finding a ship and trying to get off-planet. They could regroup, those who wanted out of the mission could rest on Legion World, and they could bring in more Legionnaires to help out. They hadn't seen any other survivors since arriving on Luna, anyway. And most importantly, they could get the precious data back to Legion World. With communications and Thresholds to LW still cut off, this was probably the most important priority at the moment.

She watched as debates erupted again. Nearly everyone had agreed with the "find a ship" option; but what people disagreed on was what to do about Brawler and Veilmist.

"If you don't want to follow orders, then go ahead," Calorie Queen snapped. "If we get through this, I'm going to recommend you be kicked out of the Cadet program! We all know what you two did, and your actions put your teams in danger!"

"I'm not comfortable letting you go and endangering others, though," Chemical Kid said. "I doubt as many as ten others will follow you if you do... but that's blood on our hands, if you get wiped out and captured..."

"Look, I feel as if we've been discussing long enough..." Inferno pointed out. "We can't keep going around and around in circles."

"Why not a vote?" Lamprey noted. "The Legion Constitution does provide for voting..." Ah, Lamprey. Always wanting everyone to get along.

"Lamprey, that's only for administrative questions," Echo rebutted politely but firmly. "In the field, though, the team Leader has supreme authority except where orders violate the Constitution."

"But we're not exactly a military organization," Lamprey pointed out. "There is room to question leadership decisions in the field!"

"I understand the need for democracy," Amp added. "But we're wasting time, as Condo said. And I also think we'll be better heading out as a group, then potentially splitting into two. I feel like most of us will follow the majority vote, anyway."

"Isn't there value in voting, then?" Night Girl spoke. "We can see how many will agree to get the ship..."

"I have watched the files," Gravity noted. "There are many instances where members voted on the field as to course of action..."

"Open discussion WAS used to draw up the plans for fighting Mordru*, or developing the Chu sting*, or thinking of the plan to storm the Blight stem*..." Density added.

"I think that's a good idea," Inferno agreed. "But Brawler, Veilmist, if you lose the vote, will you join those of us who want to leave Luna?"

Everyone looked at Brawler and Veilmist. Veilmist bristled, then sighed. "I won't like it, but I understand the Legion is a different organization from the Khund army... and I have tasted enough freedom to know that I prefer the Legion way over the Khund way...."

Brawler shrugged his admittedly broad shoulders. Sizzle had always thought he would be attractive, if only he weren't so sprocking stupid and arrogant. "Fine, whatever. It's not the way we do it on my world, but if it's the Legion way..."

Sizzle's eyes narrowed. Veilmist, she could believe. But Brawler? She would definitely be keeping an eye out on him...

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
"You know, we're just as powerful - even more so - than some Legionnaires. But now I'm beginning to understand why people like Rebound or Spider-Girl or Triad are on the team, and why Matter-Eater Lad was offered membership..." Crystal Kid muttered.

Vision started to speak, then quieted down. He usually avoided discussions about powers; as one of the more versatile, and relatively powerful Cadets, he didn't want to risk offending those whose powers were not quite up to the Legion standard. But he took another look at Crystal Kid, who had been one of the more confident Cadets before this mission. His powers were definitely in the top tier; much like the 20th century Teen Titan called Kole, and Vision had studied her file carefully. No, Crystal Kid was undoubtedly quite powerful. But now he seemed... humbled.

"I mean, they showed good judgment in battle. They work well in a team..." Crystal Kid continued.

"Yes, these are all values the Legion prizes..." Vision added. "If power were all that was needed, Brawler and Tomb would have graduated long ago..."

Bobb nodded as he looked at Rhent. "You know, back there I froze in battle. I realized that it's not easy, making snap decisions. Making a mistake is deadly..."

"Remember what XS told us?** She was afraid on her first mission too," Vision mused. "But she managed to work past her fears. It doesn't happen overnight."

"No, no it doesn't..." Crystal Kid said. He continued to stare into the distance. Vision wasn't sure what to say, or if he should even say anything...

"Guys, come on," Echo called. Vision jerked around; he couldn't see Echo, but he must be using his powers to boost his voice. "We're going to discuss our next move as a group."

Saved,, Vision sighed. He empathized with Bobb on one thing - sometimes he wasn't sure what to do or say. Rhent reflected. Maybe that was one thing he should work on... there were times he had hesitated too much in battle. But then, there were times he had acted too rashly, as well...

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Hey, Veilmist," Brawler whispered to the pink-skinned girl beside him. "Nice job arguing for our plan."

They had just finished addressing the gathered group; and now it was Amp who was arguing for the other plan. Brawler didn't bother listening, he had heard it all earlier. "How do you think people will vote? I think we won't get the majority."

"We won't," Veilmist said flatly. "We could not convince the others earlier, and we cannot convince them now. We might as well accept that we have to follow the new plan."

"We can begin to follow the plan, but if I see an opportunity, I'm going to bolt," Brawler said confidently. Veilmist looked up at him in surprise. Brawler shrugged. "Come on. Remember, even Invisible Kid*** disobeyed a direct order and ended up saving Cosmic Boy and Spark from Tangleweb."

Veilmist looked at him considering. Brawler smiled back cockily; if there was anything he knew about Khunds, it was they didn't know the meaning of backing down. Granted, Veilmist was only half-Khund, but Brawler was confident she would follow him. If they could find and rescue the captured Legionnaires, it would pave the way for Legion membership for sure! Just think of the glory that would come from that.

Before Veilmist could answer, Inferno's voice sounded. "Okay, both plans have been presented. Let's take a vote."

"Tell me what you think," Brawler winked at Veilmist as he turned towards the center. He would go along with the majority, but if the right opportunity presented itself, he would go off on his own. Let the others run back to Legion World in shame. He would show them all.

Rainbow watched the proceedings with dull disinterest. A few times, she had wanted to ask and clarify and suggest; but her earlier failure against the monster had rattled her confidence. She had attacked with too intense a light, weaking Umbra at a critical moment; if she hadn't been so rash, perhaps Umbra and Ultra Boy would still be here.

It was clear to her she needed to learn a lot more about being a Legionnaire.

No, she didn't want to fight any more monsters. Not right now. She realized now what scared her the most; accidentally causing someone to die because she wasn't cut out to be a hero.

As Inferno asked for votes for the plan to find a cruiser and escape Luna, she raised her hand. Lips tight, she ignored the surprised looks on Catspaw's and Dragonwing's faces. "Sorry, girls," she whispered to them. "Sometimes action isn't the best way..."

Spectrum shrugged as his former Substitute Hero teammates looked at him in surprise. He knew that Ral and Dag would definitely follow Lydda's lead; but he thought maybe Staq or Pete would join him in voting for Brawler's plan.

"Come on, it's not that surprising, guys," he hissed. "My squad did pretty well, using my powers to cloak us. I think Brawler's plan makes sense. We need to act fast if we want to save the Legionnaires."

"Hm...." The others exchanged looks. With an impulsive smile, Pete raised his hand too. Staq thought a little more; he had been making an effort to consider his actions more carefully, ever since Dragonwing had joined the program. Everyone knew how much Staq and Marya considered each other as rivals due to their similar powers, and Staq had taken Blizzard's and Microbe's advice to differentiate himself by acting as a leader and team player. Staq kept his hand down, and it stayed down until Lamprey finished counting the votes.

Ulu settled back as he waited for the vote to finish. He didn't think Brawler and Veilmist's plan would win, but he was happy he had made his thoughts clear.

Tellus quivered with the strain of blotting out the psychic chaff from his companions. Was this what it was like to be a non-telepath? On Hykraius, he had been taught as an infant to guard his thoughts and share only what he wished. Here, it was so easy to pick up stray emotions.

That must be why Saturn Girl and Mentalla were so much more adept than he. They had been exposed to non-telepaths from a much earlier age, after all. He reminded himself to redouble his efforts on training with them; he was getting better at blocking out waves of negative emotions, but the ones here were so strong. Fear, resignation, distress, anger, sadness, regret. Most worryingly, pride and contempt. He wondered how humanoids dealt with this; why wasn't anyone exploding from bottling all these emotions inside?

"Okay," Lamprey announced. Majority wins in favor of finding a ship, 21 to 10, 1 abstention.

Though there was little audible muttering, Tellus' mind fairly exploded with thoughts. Surprise, weariness, frustration. He closed his eyes, focusing on drowning them out. This would be very difficult indeed.

IB's notes:

1) L*48-50 for Mordru, we saw Invisible Kid meeting with RJ Brande and the UP military commanders, presumably they drew up the battle plans then; L*36, Cosmic Boy mentioned he would be getting the input of Espionage Squad members in deciding how to deal with Chu and Winema Wazzo on Earth; L* 79-80 and LSH 122-123, we saw the free Legionnaires doing a "Council of War" to plan their assault on the Blight.

2) In LSH 62, the Legion's first official mission. XS panicked and ran away in battle, but quickly recovered. She faced up to her fears in L* 19, single-handedly saving the Legion from a bomb.

3) In LSH 67-68, Lyle disobeyed Cosmic Boy's orders and followed the team to Tangleweb's homeworld. Lyle's presence saved Cosmic Boy and Spark from Tangleweb; Cos admonished Lyle for disobeying orders but didn't punish him because he did save their lives.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/18/21 04:55 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #949044 05/12/18 08:29 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Porcupine Pete looked with interest at those who voted for Brawler and Veilmist's plan. He himself had only been convinced by Spectrum, and he knew they were the two most surprising. Crystal Kid wasn't so odd; he had had his cocky moments in training. Comet Queen was always optimistic. Catspaw, Dragonwing, Arachno, Beastmaster. With Brawler and Veilmist, that made ten.

And Tomb didn't vote again. The Sarccan Cadet always kept to himself, despite everyone else's best efforts at engaging him.

Well, everyone had made their arguments for and against both plans. Pete was happy to go along with the majority.

"I'm surprised you voted with us," Brawler said. Pete made his face wooden. He didn't like the cocky Cadet at all.

"I think we could have made it work," Pete said carefully. He didn't want to encourage Brawler too much.

"Well... we still can..." Brawler began. Pete's eyes narrowed. "I'm going with the majority, Brawler."

Brawler smirked back. "Oh, so am I, Pete." Brawler quickly left.

Pete stared quietly at Brawler's back, a vague feeling of unease in his belly.

Inferno watched as the first squad set out, led by Chemical Kid. Vapor and Density were in the lead, as the two with the powers most likely to keep them safe from attack.

Dirk was pleasantly surprised at the level of professionalism among the Cadets. Yes, many were still far too immature or unsure; but many more were stepping up. Though he and condo were probationary, they had been included in Active membership discussions. And he was pleased to see that most of the Cadets to watch were stepping up. Echo, Amp, Calorie Queen, Night Girl, Gravity, Density, Lamprey, Mandalla, Hotshot had all contributed actively to planning; so had Veilmist and Beastmaster and even Brawler, despite the defeat of their proposal. Many others had chimed in from time to time, but the ones he mentioned had shown leadership potential, in particular.

He smiled a little as he remembered the last meeting of Active membership. The Legion was a team of leaders who could follow; too many cooks spoiled the broth, and all that. That's why each of the five squads had nominated their own leader, to ensure a proper chain of command. And they had agreed to stick to the same squads as earlier, to maximize familiarity.

They had certainly taken their share of precautions: Tellus was maintaining a mental link; Spectrum had camouflaged everyone; Comet Queen was using her comet gases to cover them; Vision, Beastmaster, Catspaw were on lookout duty in their respective teams; he felt like they were doing all they could to boost their chances of success. They had also agreed on contingency plans; if anyone got separated, his or her team would search for five minutes. Failing that, the teams would move on. Everyone knew where to meet. And they had duplicated the data with them on every single one of their Omnicoms. Multiple redundancy; if even just one of them made it off-planet, they could still get the data to Legion World. Things were looking good. Dirk was also surprised at how calm the group was, in general, despite the capture of so many Legionnaires. He supposed that the sense of purpose and group cohesion had helped everyone focus and calm down.

He sighed as he watched his own squad prepare. He had spoken to Rainbow, encouraging her to learn from her mistakes earlier; but she was still subdued. Then there was Brawler. Dirk had noticed Brawler cozying up to Pete; he knew they didn't normally mix. And when he had asked Pete, Pete had shared what Brawler had said.

Yet when Dirk had confronted Brawler about it, all he received was a smarmy reply.

Dirk was definitely worried. He had asked Night Girl and Mandalla, the two most mature and level-headed in his group,to keep watch on Brawler. He had also shared his suspicions with the other squad leaders - Amp, Chemical Kid, Echo and Calorie Queen.

He hoped it would be enough.

Mandalla tried to watch Brawler out of the corner of her eye, while she appeared to be chatting with Sizzle and Pete. She knew Night Girl was doing the same while she walked with Rainbow. Some of the other Cadets were stubborn, but having visited Takron-Galtos often as a child had taught her to be observant - and more importantly, to learn fast. Though there had never been a security breach while she was there, well... it was best to be careful.

She was determined to make her way into the Legion - even if she would only ever get as far as Reserve status, it would be enough. Unfortunately, her mother had died a criminal, and had never revealed who her father was. Upon reaching age, Mandalla had renounced her Chironian citizenship; she had never felt comfortable growing up there, despite the kindness of her extended family. That only left her with the rather unattractive Takron-Galtos identity card. No, Mandalla intended to serve as a Legionnaire at least long enough so she could apply for Earth citizenship; this was currently possible imediately for any Active Legionnaire, but required three years' service for a Reservist. She was a little more than halfway there. With an Earth card, doors would open. Currently, she already enjoyed the right to travel freely within the UP, but couldn't yet find employment or reside more than 180 solar days anywhere she wished, except on Legion World and on those planets that had treaties with Takron-Galtos. Which weren't many. That would change once she was a citizen of Earth.

It wouldn't be easy, but she wanted it badly.

That was one reason she voted for this plan. It made sense to get off-planet, but Mandalla also wasn't willing to risk her life for the suicide mission of penetrating the monster hideouts. She was as courageous as most Cadets, she was just more pragmatic. What good to die when the chances of them freeing the captured Legionnaires - if they were still alive - was incredibly slim?

"Hey, Tari?" Mandalla chided herself as Sizzle and Pete looked at her. She had lost focus again; she couldn't allow this to happen. "Hmm, sorry, I zoned out. What's up?"

"Just asking what you thought about trying for Active status, after this mission," Sizzle said. "You know, some of us have been reconsidering."

"I know Ral has been," Pete said cheerfully. Sometimes Mandalla thought his power was super-gossiping. "Poor guy gets awfully nervous. Dag has been very calm, but he's been thinking too. I mean, he totally zones out when he uses his power. Dreamer didn't get in until after she figured out how to stay awake while getting visions..."

Mandalla wasn't complaining about Pete's blabbing, though. As long as she was careful about what she said in front of him, she could get a lot of useful information from listening. "Personally, I'm still committed to the Legion's ideals. And I admit I haven't been on any missions like this, so it's the first time I've really understood what it's like. But I know it's something we can learn to deal with..."

"Exactly!" Sizzle threw up her hands for emphasis. "The danger's not going to go away, you know. I'd rather learn how to deal with it,then just quit and run away. Even civilians might have to deal with nass like this..."

Sizzle's emphatic speech was interrupted by the buzzing of their flight rings. "Everyone, we have incoming!" Echo's voice burst out. "Tellus and I have detected something from under us! And it's big...!"

"Everyone take to the air!" Inferno commanded. Mandalla quickly leaped up with her flight ring, and fell silent as she watched below.

Everybody was silent, as seconds stretched into minutes.

"This couldn't be a false alarm, could it?" Rainbow asked quietly.

"I - it's not," Vision stammered. "I was finally able to adjust my vision. It's... Oh grife, it's..."

Before he could finish his sentence, the ground exploded beneath them.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/18/21 04:56 PM.
Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Positive Man
Positive Man
Lisbon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star