Roll Call
0 members (), 118 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: 21st Century Legion (vol. 1): Remastered
#96469 09/30/05 09:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
--Interlude--

Japan

“They are here, in Japan, and this is an opportunity that we cannot allow to pass us by.”

The aging man said nothing, but nodded, allowing his comrades to continue.

“We have waited our entire lives, built upon the lives of all those in our circle that lived generations before us, on the hope that one day progress would be made and the secret history would once more come into the light.”

“Don’t speak so vaguely, brother,” said the man finally, cutting his friend off. “Two girls so immersed in our history are in Japan together, and one other girl, Sara Romenscue, was with them previously. The Emerald Eye of Ekron exists once more. But most importantly Maziah bint-Mordru bin-Ahmad Al-Nayal has escaped from her father’s sight. These two events confirm that our shared beliefs are true and that our faith has born fruit.”

“Precisely, brother,” replied the other hooded figure, and they all nodded in agreement.

“Now, after long centuries, the Dark Circle can act.”

--end Interlude--

#96470 09/30/05 09:31 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Japan

Things had moved fast, and what seemed like brief moments was actually days, and was turning into weeks.

Jacquie overlooked the beautiful harbor, still trying to let all of what happened settle in her mind. Following the battle, there was absolutely no sign of the Emerald Empress or the Persuader, despite Mon-El and Blok checking the area very thoroughly.

She had wanted to be the one to take down Sara so bad…it was her duty as a member of the Moldavian Royal Family to stop the Romanescu. And Sara had killed her father…

She let a tear fall down her cheek. And she remembered what Dirk said to her. “Its not about vengeance anymore, Jacquie. You have to let it go, and you have to start now. Embrace the fact that your father is dead and remember him. But stop carrying this vengeance with you. We all defeated her together, which is as it should be. This ‘group’ we’ve created, with whatever purpose we’re supposed to have, is beyond anyone one of us. It’s about all of us. I told you we need some semblance of a leader. I hope you’re up for the challenge.”

His words stung, and she hadn’t talked to him since. He felt bad, she knew, but she was mad at him. Mad at him for being so right.

They decided to go to Japan, to accompany Ten Zil Kim to find his brother and mother. The poor boy. Landing on Seoul did one thing important thing above all else in saving his life and stopping that animal the Persuader from torturing him. He had been through so much, and only this morning did it seem as if he was finally starting to relax. The came here to help him find the rest of his family, but so far it had been to no avail. Tatiana already told him they could travel with him if need be, and Jacquie expected him to, since she knew it would be impossible to find his family here, if they even were here.

What were they doing anyway, gathering such a motley crew of teenagers and strange people, traveling around Asia and Europe? Did they have a purpose? She had thought it was the Emerald Empress, but now she felt like there was more. “Don’t kid yourself Jacquie,” she thought, “you know exactly what it is. Maziah’s father. Mordru.”

Hasim suddenly was next to her.

“A little cold out here tonight, isn’t it?” he said quietly. Hasim was someone Mon-El met in Rome of all places and ended up with them. Mon had not given them any reason why, and neither had Hasim. The boy definitely felt distant, moreso than the rest, and there was something about him that was untrustworthy. But he was dangerous, and that might not be such a bad thing. Despite herself, Jacquie liked him a little.

“A little, but the view is worth it. We’ve been here for a little while now, and it feels like we haven’t even taken a step back to enjoy it. I’m a long way from Moldavia,” she added.

“Yes, and I am from Turkey. You miss your father?”

Jacquie looked at him, wondering why he would bother to ask when he knew she did.

“I recently lost mine too,” he continued. “Ten Zil, you and I, all suddenly orphans. It doesn’t feel right.” He stared further. “I’m here if you want to talk about it, but if not, I don’t mind that either. I’m not much of a talker when it comes to my feelings. More of a man of action.”

Jacquie gave him a quiet smile. Hasim smiled back. He had been waiting for this moment for days.

-------------------------

Tatiana looked in the full length mirror, unsure if what she was seeing was true. Her skin, which had become a pale white, now almost looked like it was starting to get so white that it had a hue of blue in it too. “This can’t be…” she couldn’t help but say aloud.

“But it is,” said a voice, which she turned to see Mon-El, “and after all the strange things you’ve seen, how could you even doubt it?” He had his ever serious look on his face, but something about him told her he was slightly smiling and amused. “Especially myself.”

“A very valid point,” she replied. “You have abilities unlike anything I have ever even heard of. And that is not even including the part about being over two thousand years old.”

“I have always been able to do these things. But it is you that is truly impressive. The way you were in the fight with the Empress…I don’t know if I’ve ever seen such ferocity and bravery. It was staggering.”

She turned away, smiling, looking away from him. “Thank you. I was caught up in the moment.”

“I’m glad. You saved our lives. Thank you,” he finished, as she turned to be face to face with him, only inches apart. For a moment, their eyes locked on each other. She stepped back and now he actually did smile.

The small, posh Japanese hotel room felt roomy and extravagant, which was a tribute to the talented architect who designed the place.

“I don’t know how long we’ll be able to live off the Princess’ dime,” said Dirk to Blok, who didn’t seem to be listening. “Unless you feel like giving me a hint on what it is we’re supposed to be doing…?” he added. “No? Great.”

“Hey Sun Boy…”

“DON’T CALL ME SUN BOY,” said Dirk to Ten Zil. “That kid Hasim is having a little fun at my expense. I hate that name. They gave it to me when I was like fourteen, and I’ve grown to hate it.”

“Uh, right. I was thinking of going back out tonight,” said Ten Zil.

“Tenz, look. I don’t think that’s such a good idea. Let’s just stay put tonight and go out tomorrow again.” Ten Zil looked like the words stung more than they were meant for. “Tenz…we need to start considering that your Mom and bro aren’t here in Japan.”

-----------------------------

Blok had moved across the room by this point, closer to Maziah. She was sitting quietly, enjoying the sound of running water in the fountain in the section of the open room. “Hello Blok,” she said.

“Hello Maziah,” he replied. “In quiet contemplation?”.

“Yes,” she said, then blushing slightly, “I’m trying to figure out what we’re doing here.”

“We are here for Ten Zil, I presume. He will see soon enough that his family will not be found here. Tatiana wishes to go back to her manor, which is where I assume we will go. Of course, that is not what you are asking me.”

“I-I’m not sure what you mean, Blok” she replied.

“Maziah, I can assure you that you can confide in me. You are worried that we will have to cross the area of the world where your father Mordru has the most power.”

Maziah turned even whiter than usual. “Yes. But he holds power in all parts of the world, so it is a useless fear. I won’t be able to teleport us back this time, and Mon-El can’t fly us all there and back. We have to travel the normal way. After I spent so much time with Nura escaping in the first place.”

“Amazing, is it not, that you and your sister became friends with the heir of the shadow wielders, the heir of the House of Romanescu and the Heir of the Moldavian Royal Family, despite being spread across the world?”

“Yes Blok, it is amazing. It was Irma,” Maziah quickly said.

“I have no doubt that Irma’s role was to bring you all together. Now the three of you are here, as well as Monius Elysius of two thousand years past, who also fought your father.”

“Mon-El fought my father? Blok…that makes no sense. Blok, you—“ her voice trailed off. “Blok, how do you know so much about my father and me?”

“I know a great deal. And the time is coming for you and I to tell the others what are real mission must be.”

“Real mission?”

“In regards to your father.”

21CL: Workforce #6, part 5 - Blood
#96471 10/06/05 10:50 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Mano sat with a knife, carving at the bit of wood. He didn't know what he was making - he'd barely started, but in these days of Nightmare, it was one of the few things which brought him any pleasure.

Elsewhere, Tellus "sat" - if you could call what his deformed body did "sitting" - reading The Three Musketeers, flicking the pages with the tip of his tail. He didn't complain about what his lot in life had proven to be - what was simply was.

Elsewhere still, Micro was at a nightclub, talking constantly to anyone who'd listen about anything and everything he was allowed to talk about.

Finally, yet another elsewhere, Wolf howled. The body of a man, blood still warm as it leeched onto the uncarpeted floor, lay beneath him. His claws were red. Again, Wolf howled.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#96472 10/12/05 08:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Roberta Skye Herrera gazed at the view from her home in Baguio City. No amount of pushing by the city council of the Summer Capital of the Philippines for modernization would ever make her wish that the beautiful greenery would give way to a sprawling cityscape.

She checked her things once more. She had packed her jacket, toiletries and enough clothes to last two weeks. She double-checked her passport, tickets, visa and wallet. She had enough money for two weeks' worth of expenses, with enough left over for a ticket back home. And that was if she was frugal. Everything was all set.

She walked down the large wooden stairs, looking at the family pictures on the walls. Her parents, smiling at their wedding. Her grandmother, twenty years gone now. Her lolo, her grandfather, the one who had given her her second name - Skye. He had always dreamed of flying through the skies in a plane, and he finally had - not as a pilot, though, but as a passenger. Roberta had inherited his love of heights and the sky - and something more.

Around her, the air began to whirl.

"Berta! What did I tell you about using your powers in the house?"

Roberta clicked her tongue angrily. This lack of control would not do if she was to impress the Legion! She let the breeze die down before it could do more damage, then thought again. She used her powers to fix the picture frames she had moved with the wind. Satisfied, she continued down the stairs.

"You must not get distracted, Berta. The Americans are tightening security now, and we would not want them to mistake you for a terrorist."

"I'm sorry, inay. I will be careful."

"Ay, you listen to your mother, Skye. You may only get one chance," her grandfather said, not unkindly.

Berta smiled back at his wise, weathered face. "Yes, lolo. I'll join the Legion and make you proud."

Her mother smiled too. "Just think what your ninangs (godmothers) would say when they find out that you have such wonderful powers! They already say that God has blessed you with so much."

Berta wondered what her friends would say, too. She imagined their excited reactions - her closest friends would definitely be thrilled with her, while her acquaintances might become even more plastic. She could tell they were jealous of her intelligence, her good grades, her leadership skills and the high positions she held in high school, and now her acceptance into the University of the Philippines and in Ateneo and La Salle. She had also made it into the University of Santo Tomas -and as a nursing student, no less! She had been having trouble deciding which to enter, but then the news about the Legion had reached them, and she was quick to seize the opportunity. Her lolo had backed her up, and her parents, after a bit of hesitation, agreed as well. An opportunity like this did not come by often, and if it somehow didn't work out she could always come back and enter college.

"I'm sure they'll be proud, mother. I just hope that no users will take advantage of us."

"Ay, hija, don't you worry. We can deal with them if there are any. We are used to that. Now come, let us have breakfast. We still have a long drive to make before reaching Manila. And we have a lot of things to take care of before you leave."

Berta grimaced. She wasn't looking forward to the almost eight-hour drive. It would be faster to fly there on her own power, but she understood the risk in doing that. There was no telling what would happen if the media got wind of her powers. It would be nice to fly again and feel the wind in her face, but... no matter, she'd have plenty of chances to do that in America. As she sat down to a hearty meal, she relished the thought of that. Soon, soon, all her dreams would come true.

#96473 10/12/05 08:38 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
"Jenni." Jazmin whispered her teammates' name calmly, but with a hint of urgency in her voice. "I have a new lead."

Jenni nodded. It was all she could do to hope. She waited impatiently while Jaz caught her breath.

"I was on monitor duty the other day, and an alert came from a military installation in the Arctic. But before I could do anything, a second message came in, saying that the situation was contained. Following protocol, I called up a live feed to make sure - and I caught a glimpse of what looked like Chu."

Jaz looked Jenni straight in the eyes.

"This could be it. Ostensibly, the place's purpose is for research on counters to known chemical weapons. Chu definitely has no business there."

Jenni nodded. "I'll get tickets to Norway pronto. How long will it take from there?"

"Forty-five minutes, about. I can't fly near as fast as you can run, though, so I have no idea how long it'll be for you. Probably half that."

"Okay. Either way, we do this together."

#96474 10/13/05 02:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Jenni's mind flashed back to the conversation she had had with Jazmin earlier that week. Her pulse quickened as she thought about what it would feel like to see the end of her search. She imagined herself racing in, grabbing the monster who had killed her mother and...

... and what?

She'd thought about that moment many times over the last few years, but she'd never gotten farther than that. It all seemed one of those movies where the heroes move heaven and earth to battle the villains, and you can only imagine what's running through their minds while they do. Jenni couldn't quite imagine what was in her mind. Why had she left her surviving family, joined the Legion, worked with her new teammate to track down the people they had both been looking for for ages - and why, now that it seemed like they had finally found them, was she suddenly not sure about it all?

"Jenni?"

Jenni jerked out of her trance to see Zoe Saunders, Kinetix, floating above her. The beautiful telekinetic had a green glow around her, and was wearing yet another costume. "Finally! I've been trying to get your attention for the past minute. I mean, that's like a lifetime for you, right? I was about to give up and leave you here. Would have saved me from the horrible curse of Monitor Duty!"

Jenni stood up, face burning slightly. Inwardly, she kicked herself for that. What if her teammates got suspicious? "Sorry, Zoe! I was just - thinking." Her mind raced, telling her to change the subject. "You wouldn't really have left me alone, would you?"

"Oh, if I were sure nobody had noticed me coming in, I would've." Zoe answered with a mischievous grin. "Tina and Nura want to head to the beach tomorrow, and I wanted to talk them into going today. Why wait, right? Besides, I'm almost done with the Halloween costumes. You'll LOVE yours, Jenni. Want to try it on right now?"

"Uh, no thanks. Surprise me. I'm sure you did a great job on the design."

Jenni was relieved to see the green glow around Zoe die down. "Yeah, I guess it'd spoil the surprise. Say, you think I can talk Cos or whoever's in charge into opening the party to the public? I'd love to have my old classmates over."

Jenni thought she detected a touch of - something flash in Zoe's eyes. Anger? Jealousy? Whatever it was, it probably wasn't serious.

"Oh, you still keep in touch with them? I thought you couldn't, what with all the travel you did with your mom."

Zoe shrugged, a tad too violently. "It was tough, but I did e-mail them. They replied often enough, though we did lose touch a bit. That's why I want them to come, so they can see me now. Anyway - I've gotta get to work. Don't want Gene or Irma to catch me slacking off."

Jenni sensed that she had touched a nerve. "I - Okay." Now wasn't the best time to fix it, though. Besides, it wasn't like she did it intentionally. Not like Zoe would hold a grudge because of that. "See you around. Hey, it'll be too late to go to the beach later, but maybe you want to jump in the pool? It's almost as good."

"Sure." Zoe gave a little smile. "Why not? But only if you let me design your suit."

"Deal." Jenni smiled back, thoughts of her search almost gone. Maybe she wasn't looking for revenge, after all. Maybe she just needed some friends to fill the gap in her heart.

#96475 10/13/05 03:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
"Jenni." The word hung in the air for but a second, but the sound of her voice almost frightened Jazmin. She sounded hard. Very hard. "You've been avoiding me. We need to talk."

Jaz paused as she took in the surprise on Jenni's face. It lasted only a moment, though, before being replaced by a short look of guilt, then calm once more.

"You're right, Jaz. I'm sorry. I just don't think..." Jaz saw Jenni swallow, almost imperceptibly, but it was there. "I think we should take this info to Gene."

Jaz felt her temper flare up, but she willed herself to calm down. She had been exhausting herself lately, keeping up with her training AND keeping an eye out for Chu. She had no solid proof that Chu had been behind her brother's death, but it seemed likely. Like the rest of the team, Jenni had supported her. Unlike the rest, jenni had been a big help. At first. Lately, though, she seemd to be getting cold feet.

"We can't. He'd turn it in to the police or the military or confront Chu himself. You know that. Rex and Irma would too. So would most of the others. We agreed we had to do this ourselves, Jenni. Don't bail out on me now."

"I just don't think revenge is the best reason for us to do this.

"It doesn't have to be. We'll be stopping them from ever doing this again. Look, Jenni, I know revenge isn't all that. I admit it's part of the reason why I'm so focused on this, but for me it's just a small bonus. I'm doing this to stop Chu. Period."

Jaz watched Jenni closely. It was true, what she had said. Mostly. She hoped Jenni believed her.

She did. "You're right. I'm sorry. We should get ready."

Jazmin let a smile creep back on her face. "I'm glad, Jenni. Let's go."

#96476 10/13/05 03:22 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Sally grew back to normal height as she watched Jenni and Jaz walk down the hall. She had come to join Zoe at monitor duty, knowing how much she hated spending her time alone. She hadn't meant to eavesdrop, but she was glad she had dropped that pin on the carpet.

Sally knew she had to put a stop to this, but she wasn't sure how. She was a bit afraid of what might happen. Almost anything she could think of could end badly for Jenni or Jaz.

This wasn't the time for inaction, though. Sally had learned long ago that just because you're not sure of yourself doesn't mean you can't act. She needed help, though.

She'd have to tell Zoe.

#96477 10/13/05 06:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Osaka

Jacquie, Ten Zil, Dirk, Hasim and Maziah walked through the streets—an odd group of teenagers in Osaka if their ever was one. Monius Elysius had elected to stay behind with Blok, and Tatiana did too for her own reasons. Ten Zil assumed it was because she was feeling embarrassed by the changing pigment in her skin. Dirk knew better—despite him being a good four or five years older, the brave young girl was on the verge of being a love-sick girl around Mon-El.

Despite Blok telling a few of them in private it was a waste to continue looking, Jacquie had agreed to one last trip into the city to find Ten Zil’s mother and brother, if for no other reason than to remind Ten Zil, who was doing an amazing job concealing how bad he was hurting, that he had friends now. Dirk was proud of the Princess that he was quickly becoming friends with, but they were still not on speaking terms.

Maziah seemed happy to be with them. “I…felt the need to be out and about with you all. Too much quiet mediation and not enough interaction with all of you,” she continued, “we still all hardly know each other.” Hasim smiled on the inside—an obvious white lie for the ‘white witch’. She was more uncomfortable around Blok than all of them, and it was no small feat for any young person to feign comfortableness around a giant creature made of Earth and stone.

Hours passed, and they questioned people here and there, thanking Maziah’s spell for the ability to communicate in other languages. Finally, two fisher-man appeared to be startled by their appearance, in a way that led them to believe they might know something.

“You speak flawless Japanese,” said one, “a better dialect than me!” he laughed. “But I can tell you are of Korean decent,” he said to Ten Zil now, “and are not the first person to past through here who has been.”

“Ah yes,” said the other. “The boy. Younger than you. We did not catch his name. He tried to steal a fish, but we could tell he was starving so we let him think he got away.”

“That might be my brother, Ren Kil,” said Ten Zil quickly.

Jacquie stepped forward. “Is there anything else you might possibly know?” Dirk looked at Hasim and Maziah—Maziah seemed to think they were genuine and they seemed to be. Hasim didn’t trust anyone.

“Well,” said the fisherman, “we saw him when many ships were coming in and out. There’s a chance he most likely boarded one, as he had the look as if he was running from something,” added the fisherman, this time raising his eyebrow as if to say, ‘I know he looked suspicious and so do you.’

“Any idea where?” said Jacquie, grasping at straws.

“We can check the ship-log inside,” said the other. “It should be no problem, although it might not help much—there are many ships that pass through here.”

“We’ll come with you,” said Jacquie, and she, Maziah and Ten Zil stepped into the tiny shack, not enough room for all five. “Great,” thought Dirk, looking at Hasim.

“Boys,” said a man suddenly, approaching. He was aging, and looked very distinguished. A business man, most definitely.

“Yes, sir?” said Dirk.

“I could not help but notice that you are American, and you are Middle-Eastern/European, most likely of Turkish decent. We do not get such a variety of cultures here on the shipping docks of Osaka often, and I was curious to meet you. You see, I often travel and have many colleagues around there world, and am interested in such matters.”

“Well, we’re just hear, visiting Osaka,” said Hasim. “It’s lovely,” he added begrudgingly.

“That’s amazing,” said the man. “You just spoke flawless Japanese.”

“We are very fluent in languages sir,” said Dirk.

“I see. Amazing enough, I was speaking in English.”

“We understand English too. I’m American.”

“And what am I speaking now?” replied the businessman again.

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t play the fool with me boy. Tell me. What language now?”

“You have no right to talk to us like that—“ started Hasim.

“—Oh, but I do,” cut in the man. “I know what language you’re speaking quite well. I believe the term you would call it is: magic.”

Suddenly, Hasim felt a crack over his head as many men were on him. Dirk felt as if he was being jumped.

“Amazing, isn’t it? Here on the shipping docks of Osaka, of all places, is the day the Dark Circle stepped out of the shadows of society.”

#96478 10/13/05 06:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Maziah, Jacquie and Ten Zil entered the shack. The two men led them to a schedule they had tacked onto the wall.

“Here. This is a log of all the ships coming in and out today.”

“Thank you,” said Jacquie, as they took a look at it. Maziah stood to the back. “I’ve never been on a fishing boat,” she said to the man quietly.

“No? It is very difficult work, you would not like it I’m afraid,” said one.

“I’d love to try it,” she replied.

“Would you? We can’t have that! A young pretty lady like yourself working so tirelessly?”

Maziah seemed taken aback by this obvious compliment. “I can work hard. I value that much more than being pretty.”

“We know you do,” said the other man. “We have a lot of faith placed in you, Maziah bint-Mordru bin-Ahmad Al-Nayal, daughter of the Dark Lord Mordru.”

“What?” said Jacquie out loud, suddenly turning, as she felt a cloth go over her face. She looked up and saw another man, in a hooded purple costume doing the same to Ten Zil. The men were screaming.

“Your day is at hand, daughter of Mordru! We have come for you! You will grow to love us, as we will love you!”

“NOO!!!” screamed Maziah, obviously scared beyond all reason. A glow began to emanate from her hands, but one of the fisherman grabbed her by the waste, and began pulling her outside.

Men seemed to be coming in from everywhere. How many were there?

Ten Zil looked up and was overwhelmed, and then suddenly a gigantic tidal wave crashed into the shack, destroying it instantly. He could see Dirk and Hasim.

Water was everywhere. They were underwater now. Drowning. Ten Zil didn’t understand what happened, but was trying to breath. No chance—they were all going to die, and he had no idea what was happening.

Suddenly, Ten Zil snapped back to action. All the Dark Circle men were on the ground, gasping for air, apparently under the illusion they were drowning. Dirk and Hasim were recovering just the same. Jacquie was standing in the midst of all of them, ending the battle with her powers.

“Nice Jac,” said Dirk, breathing heavy.

“Maziah. Now. They’re taking her up ahead.” They ran.

#96479 10/13/05 06:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The men from the Dark Circle moved with Maziah, as she tried to gather her thoughts and see what was happening. Concentrate, she told herself. She had more than enough power to destroy this entire group.

“Daughter of Mordru! We, the Dark Circle, will change your life! Our sacred history can come to light! What man has long forgotten, has left in the dark, you will be our guiding light!”

“N-no!” she said. Their yelling was distracting her. But “daughter of Mordru”! “Dark Circle”! Why were they yelling such things? Why were they interested in her and her father?

“Help,” she whispered, bringing her hands to her lips. A simple spell, which she always had prepared, and a golden butterfly flew into the air from her hands. The men evidently saw it and stopped.

“She cast a spell,” said an older, aging Japanese man. “The witch has cast a spell. What was it?!” he yelled. “Did you call your father?!”

“N-n-no!” she yelled. “Leave me alone! My father is the least of you worries!”

The butterfly flew into the air and sped through the city, stopping above a posh hotel.

“Nonsense girl,” said the older Dark Circle leader. “We know all about magic, far more than you! We know all about your family and your people too. You can be our greatest hope—but you must first give us a chance to show you the dark, so that you may be our white light.”

Above the hotel, the butterfly turned into a cocoon, and dropped into the hotel, phasing through all around it. It landed on its intended destination, and turned into a small caterpillar, crawling up the side of the creature it was intended to find, and into his ear. And Blok knew.

“You say you know magic,” Maziah whispered, “you might. But you do not know it like I do. There are none that have been forced to know it like I have.”

“She speaks truth,” said a voice, as all turned to see Blok standing there before them, holding two members. “She will always speak truth,” he finished, slamming them together.

“What is that thing?!” yelled one man, turning his back to Maziah, and catching a magic dagger through his back. It did not kill him, but it made him feel the pain it would if she had. She was terrified.

Blok said nothing, moving them into walls and surrounding objects. He moved to Maziah. Their numbers seem endless.

“They are too many,” she said to him.

“Trust us Maziah, and will not let you down. They are numerous indeed…but we are Legion.”

Fire blazed into the sea of people, as Dirk ran into the fray. Ten Zil, Hasim and Jacquie were behind them, but the Dark Circle were already scattering. The older leader was already no where in sight. Hasim ran forward at full speed, “let’s grab one for questioning!” he yelled above the roar of the fight, but it was not to be. The Circle was better at escaping than actually fighting—a telling attribute of their organization.

They gathered around Maziah and Blok. No one said anything, until finally Jacquie asked “Maziah, are you alright?” Maziah walked forward, silently, and put her arms around Blok, hugging him. “Yes.”

“OK, enough is enough. We’re getting Mon and Tatiana, and we’re talking this through,” said Dirk. “No more secrets. You’re all going to tell us finally: Who is Mordru?.

#96480 10/13/05 06:11 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Interlude

Yemen, the Secret City

Riding a horse, the man stuck out more than he realized, or cared, when compared to the other men on camelback. How the horse survived in the heat was a question among the locals, although they had no idea that it never drank or fed anymore. At least, not in the traditional sense.

He was in all black leather armor, and he had a sense that he cared not for how he looked. He enjoyed knowing he was a relic from yesteryear. Yester-century, in fact.

The man road up to the opulent palace and paid no heed to any guards, any maidens, or anything whatsoever. He had seen the beauty of the halls before many times. He did not waste time—indeed, that was why he was one of the most called upon of all the mighty wizard’s agents.

He approached the great throne and saw the old man, today adorned simply in fine red silk. His white beard neatly combed and an aroma of sweet cedar in the air.

“Milord,” he said, bowing.

“Lord Vykros,” said the old man, “you know why you have been called?”

“I do,” he replied. He was not supposed to, but he never lied to the wizard. The wizard raised his eyebrow, but knew this and appreciated the direct honesty. “I have dispatched your brand of justice for loose tongues.”

“As you always do. Then I send you off, Lord Vykros, on the most trusted of tasks that I have asked an agent to do in many a century. I need you to bring me my daughters. Use your discretion and do whatever you must to ensure their return, save the restrictions you are aware of for my most earnest goals. Do what you wish to any who stand between you and them.”

“Thank you Lord, I shall leave at once.”

“You may take rest here for the night if you wish,”

“I thank you, but I must leave during nightfall.”

“Of course.”

“Good day, Lord Mordru.”

End Interlude

#96481 10/14/05 09:08 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
They sat together in a circle, food and drink spread out before them, but none of them touching a bite. Their bags were packed, although that was a humorous statement in and off itself—they had very little valuables on them, almost nothing at all. They would be leaving Japan shortly, as it was no evident that Ten Zil’s mother and brother were not in Osaka, or even Japan. Blok had said as much already, and a few of them were starting to believe that when Blok spoke, his word could be trusted implicitly. Ten Zil had not given up hope, but he could not help but feel the others were right and the Dark Circle were just lying to lure Maziah away.

They were gathered because all of them were of the same mind: it was time for answers.

Dirk spoke up finally. “I’m sorry if I seem frustrated, but I have waited in the dark (and feeling like an idiot) long enough. Guys, we need you all to be honest with us. We need to know: Who is Mordru? What is this all that’s going on? I thought we were fighting the Emerald Empress, or Sara of Romanescu, or whatever she’s called? Who is the Dark Circle?” Dirk continued. “And Maziah, I like you and I’m glad we met, but I don’t really know you at all. Who are you?”

“I have to agree with pretty boy Dirk,” said Hasim speaking up. “I might be new to this little group, but if you plan on having me traveling with you, and I get the sense that Tenz and I are going to be, I want to know too if we’re going to keep getting attacked.”

“Yeah guys, why can’t you be as open as Blok?” said Tenz suddenly, and they all laughed. Blok smiled. He held secrets the others couldn’t even begin to comprehend. Not yet at least.

“They’re right guys,” said Tatiana, turning to her old friends Jacquie and Maziah. “I promise I’ll stand by you no matter what.”

“Then I will start,” said Jacquie, “although my role apparently is very small compared to the others,” she added. She looked around. For the first time, Jacquie looked tired, despite the stress of her father’s death weighing on her these past few weeks. She had taken to the role of leader well, the others all agreed. Now, in explaining herself, she felt for the first time she and her family might be validated…or condemned.

“I am of the Moldavian Royal Family, Princess Jacqueline Proiectra, although the name ‘Projectra’ has also stuck. For the last four centuries, my family has served the nation of Moldavia, despite a long of our area of the world having history of violence, upheaval and unfortunate location amidst a plethora of European powers that have eyed our lands to add to their massive empires.

“We have served our people well, and we have never put ourselves above them. However, our family did have one other important task: to guard the bloodline of the Royal Family of Romanescu, and keep them from ever again gaining access to the Emerald Eye of Ekron.

“Much of what my family knew of the Romanescu has been lost, save that the family once gained a large kingdom in the Middle Ages called Venegar, following their role in helping Rome ‘fall’. A mix of Roman aristocracy, Persian royalty and Germanic chieftains, the Romanescu held power for a long period of time. The reason, beyond their blood-thirst and harsh monarchy, was because they held control of the Emerald Eye of Ekron.

“At some point in history, Venegar was invaded and destroyed, and little of this history still exists to this day among my family. None now, in fact, since I am the last and it was all destroyed by Sara…”

Jacquie drifted off.

“Jacquie,” asked Tatiana, “why has no one ever heard of Venegar before? Surely someone in history would have evidence—“

“I do not know,” replied Jacquie.

“Mordru,” said Blok suddenly. “That is why. Continue your story Jacquie,” he finished.

“The Emerald Eye was separated from the family, and hidden in a secret place. The females of the Romanescu family, you see, have a secret connection to it. Something else else mystical and inexplicable. They can gain control of it in a way that most cannot. So they had to be kept away from the Eye at all costs, less the have it again, and their reign of terror continues. My family was put in charge of overseeing them, and their line became the traditional royal servants for my family, in the Kingdom of Moldavia. Our traditional illusion powers, which are more based in sorcery than anything, have allowed our kingdom to survive in these last war-filled centuries.

The Romanescu were inherently wicked and my family hoped that we could help them grow into something more benevolent. Apparently this was not so. As time past, the location of the Eye was long-lost, and generations moved on and on. Until this generation, with me as Princess of Moldavia and Sara as the heir of Romanescu. Years ago, I was contacted by Irma Ardeen and her circle of friends, and although we were spread throughout the world, Maziah, Tataina, Maziah’s sister Nura, Irma and myself were able to speak. Sara was also a part of this group, and in truth, I secretly hid who I was and why I joined to watch her. I…I deceived them, save for Maziah, who saw through it. I suspected Sara had ulterior motives, and now I think I was justified.

“I’m sorry Tatiana,” she said, turning to Tatiana. There were tears in her eyes.

“I forgive you Jacquie. Go on,” she said caringly.

“Then somehow the Eye was unleashed again. I do not know how. It came directly to Sara, seeking her out, as the heir of Romanescu. And she—she destroyed my kingdom and family.”

They were all quiet now.

“And then I met all of you,” said Jacquie. “And now I have hope again.”

“Yes Jacquie,” said Blok, “and hope it enough. It was Mordru who freed the Eye, after centuries of searching for it. He, in his arrogance, sought to maybe control it directly, thinking he might have overcome the ancient curses. He could not and it fled. But it kicked off a series of events that have linked us all together. Which may, unknown to Mordru, have begun a turning of the tide.”

“Mordru and the Eye are connected?” said Jacquie.

“Oh yes,” said Blok. He turned to Maziah. “Maziah…tell them your story.”

#96482 10/14/05 09:29 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Maziah looked around, nervous now, and fearing more than ever before that she would be hated and judged.

Jacquie felt calm now, and very relieved. “It’s alright Maziah, go ahead,” she said to red-haired ‘witch’. Dirk had put his hand on Jacquie’s shoulder and smiled at her. Hasim was close to her too. Near Maziah, there was only Blok.

“I…my name is Maziah bint-Mordru bin-Ahmad Al-Nayal, as you all know. A few weeks ago, my sister and I escaped from our home, to get away from our father and our surroundings. We were going to New York City in America, to meet the Legion of Super-Heroes. But on the way there, I sensed Jacquie was in trouble and needed to join her, since I knew her secrets concerning Sara. That is how I came here. But before all this…my life has been different than most.”

“My father’s name is Mordru, which would not recognize off-hand. Yet, I am overwhelmed that some of you actually know it. I should not be. My father is without a doubt, the most powerful mage in the world, and one of the strongest beings on the planet.”

“No Maziah,” said Blok suddenly. “Your father is the strongest mage in the history of the world, and is undoubtedly the strongest being on the planet. I apologize for the interruption. Continue.”

“I never knew my mother. But Nura and I did have a good life. Nothing was denied to us, and we were treated like Princesses. My father is not a king or a emperor, but he is very powerful and owns much land, wealth and people.”

“People?” she heard Ten Zil whisper.

“He loved us very much and was kind to us. We were the apple of his eye. But as Nura and I grew older, we saw he was not so generous to others. He was…cruel…” Maziah trailed off, and images of the things she witnessed growing up flashed through her eyes. Men eaten alived. Women burned to death. Horrible tortures, horrible spells. Horrible creatures.

“My sister inherited a power of foresight, of being able to predict the future in her dreams. This, we believe, comes from my mother. I had none of these powers, but that made my father even more happy. From age 3 onwards, I began my magical training and have continued since. Being Mordru’s daughter, I have a natural inclination towards magic. I,” she paused, “am very strong at times. My father has many friends throughout the world and many plans, but I know little about them. I know among the magic community, he is the lead figure.”

“Magic community?” said Dirk. “There’s a magic community?”

“It is very small, I assure you,” said Maziah. “It has to be. My father kills any who might threaten his power one day.”

“And the Dark Circle? The Emerald Eye?” said Hasim.

“I had never heard of the Emerald Eye until I met Jacquie, and had no idea until now that it was connected to my father in anyway. And I have never heard of the Dark Circle before. I’m scared. My father…you don’t know what he’s capable of. What he can do. And how much he’ll hurt all of you if he can for keeping me away from him.”

A cold, eerie silence pierced the idea, and all of them wanted to speak up, but none it seemed could. None, except once more, Blok. “We will stand by your side Maziah,” he said. “Please stand by ours.”

“Ironic, is it not, that the daughters of Mordru, the heir of Romanescu, the heir of the Moldavian Royal Family and the heir of the shadow-wielders all communicate telepathically for years as children?” said Blok suddenly.

“I was thinking the same thing,” said Dirk. “And the girl, Irma.”

“Irma Ardeen, I believe,” said Blok, “was to bring them all together. That was her role there. Her future, in the Legion of Super-Heroes, will be much greater. But in the grand scheme of the war with Mordru, that was where she stood.”

“Her role?” said Tatiana. “Blok, I had never heard of Mordru, the Emerald Eye, the Dark Circle, and other things until a few weeks ago. I had no idea.”

“No, you didn’t. But your ancestors, the shadow-wielders have guarded this Earth for centuries. Over two millennia in fact. Irma didn’t know this of course. But fate, and this planet, directed her to do it.”

“Fate? Blok, c’mon…” said Dirk.

“Fate. Or whatever he calls himself these days,” said Blok, equally as vague as before. “But you were brought together for a purpose. The war with Mordru begins anew.”

“How do you know so much Blok?” she asked him.

“I have been fighting your father for many centuries. Longer than even Monius Elysius.”

They all turned to Mon-El. He looked stern and stood upright, unafraid. “Very well,” he said. “I will tell you my story.”

#96483 10/14/05 09:49 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Mon-El turned to all of them. Tatiana stood on one side of him, her skin, it appeared continuing to turn so pale that it looked light blue now. In fact, it was not even really pale any longer. It was turning blue. On the other side stood Ten Zil, who was in awe of the warrior.

“You know my story briefly. A few weeks ago I awoke from a two thousand year slumber, because the Emerald Eye of Ekron woke me when it was reactivated by Lord Mordru. I flew towards it immediately, and met all of you. I have helped you track the Emerald Empress since, and will continue to help, because I feel you all have a great degree of honor in a world I cannot understand.

I was born Monius Elysius, and I have always had these abilities. My family was Roman and I rose in rank and legend. I helped destroy whole armies and the Romans cheered me on. I was a living deity to them, like Hercules or Achilles. Tatiana tells me that legends still exist today because of me. By seventeen, I had achieved every glory possible, and helped defend the Empire under the reign of Augustus, in a period that breathed new life into Rome after decades of internal conflict.

But there was a force so great, so destructive, that the Roman’s feared it above all else. Far away, towards Persia, it existed. It was not only an empire, or an army, it was a ruler. One man. One monster. His name was Mordru. We believed he was a mad god. There were none in the world who did not fear him.

The Persians feared him too. Feared him so greatly, as did the Romans, that the two long-standing great enemies, the East and the West banded together for the first time and led one great army against him, to destroy the wizard. Persians and Romans! Unlike ever before in the history of Rome or Greece. We marched on his empire, and prepared to battle. I was a hero among the men, but it was not a role I wanted. Too much focus was on me.”

Memories flooded Mon-El’s mind. He remembered the meetings and the careful diplomats. The Romans and the Persians took some careful planning to ally. In hindsight, he could almost picture Blok there. There was a shadow-wielder too, of Persian decent. He as brave and Mon and he became friends. He had a little daughter that looked up to Mon-El too.

“Before the battle could ever begin, Mordru’s agents poisoned my water supply with lead, and I fell ill. I should have died. My fall truly affected the men’s morale and hurt the great army. Only Augustus himself, the Persian diplomat Ralex Jorg and my Centurian, a man known as Devious Emorius knew how to save me and placed me in the zone of Phantoms. Mordru had defeated me, and he was able to do it by discovering my weakness—something that no living person had ever known save my parents and myself. I cannot fathom how he knew. I should have died. And now, I have awoken two thousand years later, and still he stands, still he plagues the Earth.

“Then, thousands upon thousands fell before him. Empires crumbled and people were crushed. He is as crafty as he is powerful. Cunning and infinitely patient. His enemies wither away and die, or are poisoned in the night, and he lives on, waiting and gaining control.”

“The Emerald Eye existed then too. It was under Mordru’s control then, and was his most powerful tool in wiping out whole armies. His concubine used it for him, as he could not master it. The Emerald Eye of Ekron. It was legend then, as it is now. He has always been connected to it, as it was once his.”

“Now Blok, you must tell us your story. Because despite all we know, there are holes in this history.”

They all turned to Blok now. “Finally,” said Dirk.

21CL Workforce #7: Hallowe'en, part 1
#96484 10/15/05 09:00 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Hallowe'en
Part 1

Spark was very uncomfortable, physically and otherwise, even before she looked at herself in the mirror. She could feel the skintight leather of the one-piece costume that covered her whole body from the neck down chafing places she most certainly didn't want chafed. She could feel the sweat building up already. She could feel the stupid high heels that made walking difficult - she had never worn high heels before in her life and on the basis of this never wanted to again, especially since these were high heels. And she could feel the weight of the metal spikes running down her spine, along the outside of each arm and down the middle of her front that reminded her that she'd have to keep her distance from everyone, literally.

And on top of that, she looked in the mirror and saw the red. She hated red clothes. With a passion and a vengeance. And now here she was decked out neck-to-toe in red leather that chafed and made her sweat a ton and... there was a knock at the door.

"Ella, can I come in?"

"'Sif I could stop you," Ella muttered before adding "Sure" out loud.

Andromeda walked into the room. She looked almost as uncomfortable as Spark, albeit for different reasons - right at that moment, Ella would gladly have swapped with her for the Power Girl costume, even with the big stupid gold button and red cape. At least her skin could breathe.

Laurel herself was more concerned with the gaping hole in the chest area of her white leotard than minor accoutrements. She was struggling not to keep her arms permanently folded and gave Spark an "at least you're covered" look in reply to Spark's expression. Both were wishing they'd never made the bet.

"The plane's ready, and we need to be onboard in the next ten minutes."

"Fine. I'd better move - it'll probably take me ten minutes to walk to the plane like this," and Spark hobbled from the room in an ungainly fashion.

«Well, you made this bed Ella...» Laurel thought as she looked down, wondering if pulling rank and making Enrapture get Reflecto from his room would be a good idea.

"Thanks Paul," Spark said, as Polarity - very carefully, given the spikes - helped her down from the helicopter that had taken them from the airport to the helipad atop the Richards building, where the Legion was currently housed. Before taking the elevator down five floors to the Legion's reception desk - the team had the whole top five floors of the building to themselves, three of which were designated as living quarters for the team, including the penthouse - they walked over to the edge of the precipice and looked down.

Andromeda and Dragonmage, both fliers who had gone higher than this under their own steam, were nonplussed. Ultraboy, who could fly but always kept relatively near the ground because of his power limitation, nervously concentrated on keeping his invulnerability on. Spark and Polarity, who could hover a little with great effort, felt dizzy as they looked down. Enrapture, who was fully bound by gravity's laws, refused to even look, in the same way she'd kept to the middle of the helicopter on the trip from the airport. And Reflecto, who couldn't fly but wouldn't have been hurt in the slightest if he fell, leaned right over, pulled up the Deadpool mask, spat down toward the street and started counting, before feeling Andromeda's hand on his neck firmly pulling him back.

"No," she said, and pulled him - just gently enough for it not to backfire on her - toward the lift. The others followed at varying paces.

When they entered the reception lobby, only a few Legionnaires were there. Most were in the training room - bigger than the Legion's rec room, it was where the party was due to be held.

Of the ones who were there, Cosmic Boy was sitting perched on the edge of a table, wearing a Golden Age Green Lantern costume (but no wig), watching them come in. Leviathan, next to him, was standing straight in his Captain America suit. Off to the side, Tela and Spirit, dressed in a Fantastic Four costume and as Secret from Young Justice respectively, were chatting. Behind, Live Wire was sitting nervously in a chair in various pseudo-paramilitary gear as Cable. Quislet, a small silver ship with a few vaguely Star Trek-like parts bolted to it, bobbed in the air around them.

Cos and Leviathan had been waiting there for about ten minutes. They'd been about fifteen minutes early for the Workforce's expected arrival time, but as effective co-leaders, they had decided they should wait in the foyer early just in case. Leviathan had said to be there twenty minutes early, Cos said ten, and eventually they split the difference rather than go down separately.

Since then, things had gradually filled up - most of the team were now in the training/party room, presumably helping Kinetix finish decorating or starting things early, while Irma, Garth, Tina and Quislet had chosen to wait with them. None of the other five quite understood why Quislet was there - he was absolutely awful at waiting, as shown by his periodic swoops round the room while asking "Are they here yet."

The exceptions were Jenni, who everyone knew wouldn't miss the party for the world and was probably out for a run trying to bleed off her excitement - presuming that she hadn't slipped past them between blinks, of course - and Quentin. Who there was a sweepstake on whether Andromeda's presence would make him come down of his own accord or whether Kinetix - who had had the idea for the party, had done much of the organising, costume-making and decorating personally and had been the one to rope others in to do the rest - would end up going to fetch him.

Leviathan stepped forward, intending to offer a formal greeting to the Workforce. Cos noticed, decided it wasn't worth it and would spoil the tone for the night.

"Snap!"

Polarity had noticed Cos' movement and they naturally greeted each other by holding their fists out and mock-punching their "Green Lantern" rings together.

"They're going to think we set this up, y'know," Paul casually noted as the brothers walked off together. Granted, their costumes were very different; between Paul's black and white costume with green mask and Rex's caped green, red and purple concoction; but the fact they had both chosen "Green Lantern" roles without consulting one another was cause for comment.

"Ack, who cares," replied Cos, and the brothers continued talking and walking, pausing only to avoid being knocked over by the speeding Ultraboy.

Meanwhile, having noticed the new arrivals, Tela and Spirit broke off their talk and headed over towards them. Tela headed over to Spark, "Hi, Ella isn't it? I'm Tela, Irma to my friends," she gave a smile intended to convey reassurance, since she could feel the tension ratiating from Spark, who could see Live Wire hanging back behind Irma.

"Hi, um-Irma, sorry but is there a toilet in this place?"

Irma's smile didn't fade as she pointed to a door and said "Sure, first left, second right, down the corridor, it's on your left."

"Ta," Ella replied, and hobbled off in the direction indicated.

Simultaneously, Reflecto was starting to bug Leviathan; "So what was going on with you and that kid - Ricky or Buffy or whatever anyway?" Leviathan tried to splutter a response, that he wasn't Captain America, and the Captain had been a great hero, but Reflecto continued, "I saw those pics of you two in the War, you with your hand around him. Wasn't everywhere the hand went, huh? The comics whitewashed it, but..."

At that point, Quislet intervened, bobbing around Reflecto, "Hey, d'y'wanna be my friend, huh, huh?" Reflecto's caustic comment to the negative didn't dissuade him, "C'mon, it'll be fun fun fun! You know you wanna!"

"Get away!" Reflecto started to move away, but Quislet followed.

"Okay, you wanna go in there, let's go friend!"

With that, Reflecto drew his sword - part of his costume, but also the sword he used day-to-day as a Workforcer - and threatened Quislet, but then the sword said, "C'mon, let's just go to the party, silly!" and he dropped it and ran for the party room.

"What fun!" said Quislet and followed.

Meanwhile, Enrapture had strode into the party room with the look of someone with a purpose, Dragonmage had excused himself for a moment and flown outside for some air, while Live Wire had gone without anyone bar Tela noticing - she had followed to try and talk him down.

"...and so how does it feel to lead the Workforce?" Spirit was asking Andromeda.

"Depends what you mean - I'm the captain of the team, but not the manager or coach. So not as bad as it might be." Andromeda replied."

"Does it make you nervous, then?"

"Sometimes, if I'm honest. I was nervous as anything at first, but now, it's not quite as bad..." Andromeda continued as her and Spirit walked into the party room together, leaving Leviathan alone in the foyer, head spinning slightly after Reflecto's taunts as the backwash from Jenni running into the room in front of him and Kinetix (in a green Phoenix costume) simultaneously flying behind at speed behind him to fetch Quentin ripped his shield from his hand.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

21CL Workforce #7: Hallowe'en, part 2
#96485 10/21/05 09:08 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Hallowe'en
Part 2

Inside the party room, things were getting busy. As Leviathan entered, everything was ready and everyone but Dox, Kinetix (gone to fetch Dox), & Trinity were there now.

Shifter was running the "traditional party games" he'd insisted on having - when it was pointed out to him by one of the staff how many of the people there could cheat, never mind how silly it was for a group of late-teenagers to be bobbing for apples, etc, he just replied, "Well, we shall just have to hope they won't, shan't we" with a twinkle in his eye, ignoring the latter part.

Just then, Trinity entered the room. Trinity-Neutral was in the lead of the three, resplendent in a deep green wig and flowing green Polaris costume and cape, showing a fair amount of smooth skin. T-Orange followed closely behind, wearing a far more modest, even baggy, two-tone blue Shadowcat costume - strictly speaking, she should also have worn a long, curly wig, but she had foregone this in favour of her own, short hair. T-Purple then followed last - not because of any modesty, her choice of costume precluded that - but because she wanted to be seen freely in her Wonder Woman red and gold bustier and boots, with only blue and white bikini bottoms covering her modesty, and she didn't want the other two to distract from her.

"Hola mi señora," Cos greeted her, and kissed T-Purple, T-Orange and T-Neutral's hands in turn. "Nice," T-Purple said, "so what do you do for an encore?"

---------------

"Go on, say it!" Kinetix could be heard to shout. "If you pick that costume, you have to say it!"

"Okay, okay..." the guy in the Wolverine costume paused before adopting a pose and saying "Rarr... I'm the best there is at what I do!" Numerous camera phones could be heard clicking

"AndjustwhatDOyoudoChuck?" Jenni was giggling so hard at Rebound's self-effacement she forgot to slow her speech down again.

"Why, my dear Miss Flash, you have to ask?" Chuck said in a mock-poshEnglish voice before bouncing over her head and down the room.

---------------

Jan and Sally, dressed as matching Wonder Twins, were both a bit shy at parties, but were trying their best to stay the course, minding Shifter's games for a few minutes to give him a chance to mingle.

Right now, that meant Ultraboy, clothed in a yellow and blue Sentry costume - though he'd forgone the blond wig that came with it - was engaged in a friendly arm-wrestling competition with a Thing-shaped Shifter, neither giving an inch, as Kinetix, talking to Jazmin about nothing in particular, grew tired of her green and gold Phoenix costume and telekinetically remade it into a purple, blue and yellow Batgirl suit without pausing for breath as she talked.

---------------

"Are the arms comfortable then?"

"Fairly. They're a bit heavy, but..."

"Sorry, I know. Not much I could do on short notice though. What made you pick that character anyway?"

Nura bint Mordru bin Ahmad Al-Nayal, Dreamer, grinned and replied "I saw it in a dream"

Lyle Norga, Invisible Kid, smiled back, "That settled it for you then, huh?"

"Always."

Kinetix was leaning against the bar sipping lemonade, now dressed in a Hawkwoman costume complete with wings, watching Lyle examine the four posable extra arms he'd made for Nura's Spiral costume she'd done the rest of, when Catalyst came over to get a drink.

"Those two have been spending a lot of time together recently, haven't they? It can't just be the arms, I bet they must be up to something..."

"Don't think Lyle goes for her type myself," Catalyst smirked.

"Waiter!" Enrapture called.

"Yes...?" the waiter came over, his low voice dragging behind him.

"I'm ready to order. Could I have the gazpacho soup please, followed by a fillet steak, rare, thank you."

"Of course, madam..." the waiter noted down and walked away, as Enrapture overheard him thinking «...and so he goes about his menial task, not stopping to ask for respect or even a moment's relief from the terrible pain down his left side.»

Trinity-Neutral caught her glance at him and said, "Don't worry, we don't like him much either, and he certainly doesn't like us. No-one seems to know why though."

Enrapture regarded T-Neutral for a second and asked, "Have you been getting many headaches recently?"

Lorna-N shifted slightly in her seat, slightly uncomfortable at the sudden change of subject. "Now and then - why?"

Enrapture put on her best apologising face and said, "Oh, nothing, just that I'm getting feedback from your headache right now and I'm just curious if there's a problem."

"Oh yeah, you're the Workforce's telepath, aren't you? Rapture or whatever."

"ENrapture." Meta's carefully-judged smile dropped ten degrees. "I was just wondering if I could help?"

T-Neutral shuddered slightly. Something else else about Enrapture didn't seem right. "No thanks, I'm okay."

Meta said "Fine," out loud, and «Drat» inwardly. Fulfilling her mission was going to be harder than she'd thought.

---------------

"So, how long have you been a member of the Workforce, anywhy?"

"'Anyway'..." Spark felt trapped, between Spirit - who just would not shut up - on one side and Dox, who between eating and staring at Andromeda didn't seem to want to utter a word. "...and its been a couple of months since it was set up." Spirit seemed just a bit too friendly, and it was rubbing her the wrong way. She decided to try and shake Dox out of his trance.

"Ow!"

"Oh, sorry." She'd made a little spark - just big enough to catch his attention and no more - jump from her elbow to him as she'd taken a bite of her meal, "I usually catch that before it happens, my mind must have been a thousand years away." Inwardly she winced at the way she'd said that - it made her sound like some sort of ditz.

He glared at her for a moment, but his voice said "It's okay."

"Dox, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Ah. One of the Trinities was saying to call you 'Brainy', but I thought I remembered. How're'you?"

Dox mentally added a tick to Trinity-Purple's 'Brainy file' for future use. "Not too bad, you?"

"Okay." This wasn't going well, she thought, then remembered an argument she'd had with Polarity a couple of days previously, "I was having a debate with someone else the other day about computers that could think for themselves. I thought they were pure sci-fi, he thought it wasn't far off. Given how smart you are, I was wondering if you had any thoughts about it?"

"Crude versions already exist, actually, that can think on the level of rodents. If you mean human-level sentience, the problem is the hardware..."

"Not fast enough?"

"Yes and no. Getting hold of enough processors and batteries to keep them going would be difficult, but they're simply badly designed for the task. Binary processors simply don't work like the human brain. Supercomputers are objectively far more powerful than a human, but making one truly sentient would be difficult, and waste much of the power."

"So..." Spark twirled some spaghetti round her fork, placed it in her mouth, chewed and swallowed before continuing, "...couldn't you just design your own processor if you're as smart as you're meant to be?"

"Certainly, but I haven't tried as there's no point - I have no means of manufacturing such a processor, and no way to obtain such means. The capacity does not exist, and persuading a manufacturer of processors to create it would be a hopeless task without essentially paying for the whole thing. Sentient machines are an intellectual challenge, but have at most niche appeal - a machine that could disobey orders or neurotically obsess about its' task would be of no value," he finished and bit into the chicken.

Spark suddenly remembered the Talkie Toaster and sniggered, "There's that. Still, I'm sure there must be things they'd be useful for - space probes at distances with a huge time lag in the signal and other stuff where people couldn't send people but wanted to. Plus gimmicky toys - although that might count as cruelty to toys," she smiled and ate more pasta.

Even Dox couldn't suppress a chortle at the last one, as visions of stuffed toys marching for Toy Emancipation danced across his mind.

Sally was nervously trying to get a dance with someone, and finally plucked up the courage... "Hi... José, isn't it? Do you wa..."

She'd made a bad choice. "No," Ultraboy said as he walked straight past her, heading for Spirit.

"Y'wanna dance doll?"

Spirit looked him over for a moment. "Yes, I love to dance. To walk on air, to feel the rhythm of the music," she glanced over at Vi as Ultraboy reached for her, "but you could not keep up with me," and Ultraboy stumbled and fell as she suddenly wasn't solid for Ultraboy to grab. Leaving Jose sprawled on the floor, she walked over to Vi and Kinetix.

---------------

Reflecto was hiding in the toilet, hoping the little silver pest would finally leave him alone.

"Hey!?"

«Oh no.» He stood up and looked down.

From the bottom of the bowl, the voice came up. "What's takin' you so long anyway? Come on, hurry up!"

This was too much for Reflecto. He yanked up his trousers and ran out as fast as he could, Quislet innocently following behind.

A few minutes later, Leviathan came in to use the same toilet, and noticing the smell glanced into the bowl, grimaced and flushed the plug before using the toilet. «I do wish people would flush the toilet once they're finished,» he thought.

---------------

Dragonmage and Valor were standing off to the side, both drinking plain water. Neither were speaking, both understanding that the other didn't want to be there either, but had been dragged along by their respective teams, and were taking refuge as best they could out of the way.

---------------

«Come on Paul, just ask her,» Polarity thought, playing around with his mask. He was watching Spark dance - somewhat carefully, given her costume - with Invisible Kid, and trying very hard to pluck up the courage to ask her to dance.

Eventually, the song finished and Ella and Lyle went their separate ways. Deciding that it was now or never, he strode over as confidently as he could muster and asked her for a dance. She assented with a smile, and they headed out to the middle of the floor. Even then, the song was nearly finished by the time Polarity got round to speaking.

"So, Ella..."

"Paul?"

"I was wondering - would you like to go out some time, the two of us I mean?"

"Sure, we hang about together most of the time anyway."

"No, I mean out to dinner, sorta."

Suddenly, it clicked in Ella's head. She struggled to find the right words, "I'm sorry Paul... but I just don't think of you that way"

Polarity tried hard not to look as if Spark hadn't just sent him into a deep dark pit of despair, and failed miserably.

"I'm sorry," she said and meant it, as she pulled him close in a big, but unmistakably platonic, hug.

Polarity was in two minds about how to react. On the one hand, he felt like he was being pitied, or patronised. On the other, he wished she would never let go.

---------------

Dox, forcibly clothed in a Superboy costume, complete with black leather jacket, kept trying to speak to Andromeda, but it seemed like every time he plucked up the courage, someone else got a dance off her, or called her over to the other end of the room for something.

He was not having a good time.

---------------

As Dox was thinking this, Andromeda was dancing with a somewhat nervous Blizzard, who was trying very hard not to stare at the hole for her cleavage - not helped in the least by the fact that she was considerably taller than him - when something outside the building caught Andromeda's eye as she absent-mindedly cycled to her X-ray vision. "Excuse me please," she said to Blizzard, ran out at top speed while pulling her cape into a makeshift hood - she didn't want recognised, in that costume, and caught Reflecto, who was bouncing up past the fortieth floor as she reached him.

"I. Do. NOT. Want. To. Know." Andromeda was livid as she took Reflecto's gun and remaining sword off him, flew into the building and locked him in a broom cupboard, picking up the sword he'd dropped in the lobby earlier as she headed back to the party.

At this, Reflecto actually relaxed. Out of the way like this, he felt safe.

"Whatcha doin' hiding in here?" something in the dark, dark cupboard went.

---------------

Spark was still bummed from the talk with Polarity. She loved the guy - just not in "that way" - and seeing him that down made her feel down. But saying yes when she hadn't meant it would have been worse long-term after all... right?

"Ella!"

She looked around to see who was calling her. Garth's timing stunk.

"Garth, please, I'm not in the mood right now."

"Ella, we've got to sort this out, we can't let this go on."

"Garth, please, not right now." Spark's tone was low and tired, but Garth seemed to miss it completely.

"Ella, I'm sorry about before, and I'm sorry I left you behind, and..."

"Garth, please..." Ella's voice was strained, not with anger, just with exhaustion, "not now."

Garth stopped and watched as Ella walked over to the edge of the room and slumped in a seat. His head fell.

"You're pushing too hard, you know."

Garth heard Irma's voice, but didn't look up, until he felt her hand grab his. "What am I meant to do, just pretend I didn't see her?"

The speakers started playing Free as a Bird, and Irma pulled him onto the dance floor so he'd have to look at her. "Garth, she'll come around, but you'll have to give her time. If you go up to her and say 'We make up now or we never will', y..."

"But I di..."

"Shhh..." Irma raised one finger and pressed it to his lips. "I know. But even if that's not what you said, it's what she heard. And if you care as much as I think you do, you have to accept that your snapping your bond like that really hurt her, and you can't just say 'I'm sorry' and expect her to forgive you."

Garth knew that Irma was right, but... "It hurts."

"It should hurt, Mister Raines," Irma smiled and moved closer, "After all, you wouldn't want to make the mistake again, would you now?"

"Wouldn't I need someone to make the mistake with first, Miss Ardeen?" Garth had caught on, and his smile was building too.

Irma looked at him, at his piercing blue eyes. After she'd escaped from Cadmus, from Checkmate, Garth and Rex were the first two guys she'd actually got to know, which made them the first two guys she'd really met in almost six years between the isolation, training and time as an agent. During her imprisonment, she'd found Maizah and her other telepathic friends, but they were all girls. During her brief, horrid time as an agent, she'd been forced to search through the minds of men and women, and seen all sorts of lives, of love, of abuse, of death and of heartbreak. None of which she'd expected to have until she met Garth and felt... something... at first sight. Not love, not then, but something. Over time, he'd driven her nuts more than once, playing the fool, calling her "Satin Girl," playing up to the crowd, but she'd also talked, really talked to him, and on the plane when Cos had been knocked out and she'd taken over and he reassured her, something jumped between them.

His breath was ragged, and so was hers. Neither of them were aware of all the eyes turned in their direction, when suddenly, simultaneously, their lips melded into one.

---------------

Ella saw Garth and Irma's kiss. She was happy for her brother, but between her talks with Paul and him, she felt so, so very drained. So, at that moment, while all eyes were seemingly elsewhere, she slipped out of the room.

Paul saw it too and watched Ella slip away. He wanted to follow her with all his heart, but knew that if he did, they'd both probably end up feeling worse rather than better. So he stood where he was, while his brother noticed his drooping head and clasped his arm around his shoulder.

Enrapture then took advantage of the preoccupation of the crowd in general and Cos in particular, heading in the direction of Trinity-Neutral. She found her standing in a corner, sipping lemonade and brooding, as Lorna had done a lot since her capture, and it took Meta only a second to ensorcel her through the trapdoor left in Trinity's mind. Silently, Neutral went and collected her two "sisters" to allow Enrapture to collect the inside information on the Legion McCauley demanded. After that, what happened depended on Meta's mood...

Later, the party was at an end. Reflecto had been retrieved from the broom cupboard, and if he was even more incoherent than normal no-one noticed. Dragonmage showed every sign of someone who was just glad to be out of there, and gave a nod to Valor as he was leaving, while Spark and Polarity's moods were both through the floor, Ultraboy was in a sulk and Andromeda was still livid at Reflecto. Only Enrapture showed any sign of satisfaction.

As the helicopter took off again, Reflecto finally thought it was safe to relax. Then his mask said "Bye friend," at which he pulled it off, threw it on the floor and had to be physically restrained by Andromeda to avoid him jumping on it. It would be a while before he recovered from his party.

[PS: Thanks to Cobalt for a couple of ideas I used in here, and apologies to the New Mutants writers for one small scene I stole outright smile ]

21CL: Inheritor of the Táloc, part 1
#96486 10/25/05 05:39 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
"There is no hope?"

"None. His wounds were mortal, and only the Elen preserves him now for his last task."

"Very well." The man left the doctors' tent, and entered the deep blue tent beyond.

Inside, a young woman sat crosslegged upon a woollen mat which was laid upon the ground. At the sound of entry, she visibly tensed and opened her eyes, her hand upon Calíburn, her sword. She relaxed only slightly when she saw who it was.

"What news?" she asked.

"As feared, his wounds are mortal." He would have continued, but she knew perfectly well what it meant, and stood and walked to the entrance of the tent, Calíburn in her hand.

She entered the tent thereafter and bade to be left alone with her father, then spoke with him at length for the last time.

Thereafter, she called from inside the tent and had two men carry him out, placing him upon a bench. He looked up at her and nodded, weakly.

"Goodbye father," she whispered, and brought Calíburn down, cleaving his head from his body.

As soon as life left his body, the Elen - a glowing artefact that none but Tazmin could gaze upon - left too, sitting atop his corpse. The fact that she could was sign that it had accepted her as its' new host.

She took it in her hands, and thrust it into her torso, where it vanished.

Michael Tomas, Arren of the Táloc, was dead. Long reign Tazmin Tomas, Arra of the Táloc.

#96487 10/28/05 12:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
“Finally,” said Dirk, as the seven young teenagers looked at their eighth companion and waited for him to finally speak.

Blok smiled, and Mon thought to himself that seeing Blok smile like this from time to time was far more nerve-wracking than when he never used to smile at all. “I know nothing of the Dark Circle, I’m afraid,” he began, “but about Mordru…I know a great many things.”

“Mordru is a great many things to a great many people. But one thing he is to all who think they should be able to live in peace, independent of some outside, tyrannical will. To them, he is the enemy. And he has been since the dawn of civilization.”

Blok became quiet again. Jacquie looked around to see what the others were thinking. They might not have the experience she had in watching people speak. She knew what Blok was thinking: ‘how much should I tell them’…’how much can they handle’.

“Before Rome, before Persia, before even Greece or Eygpt, there were civilizations on this planet. Mordru lived then too. Not many knew of his origins, but they didn’t have to, since his purpose was not hidden then, as it is now. He sought to unite all the world, to achieve one grand kingdom. But this was no mere age of enlightenment he wanted. He wanted a grand kingdom, where he, the great Emperor Mordru, would be king.”

“His power was immense. He was the greatest sorcerer of his time, and remains the greatest sorcerer of all time. It’s far beyond sorcery…its his ability to manipulate the ebb and flow of energy within the Earth itself, and the way he has been able to altar what should be physical limitations around universe.”

“His presence is beyond commanding. I hope that none of you ever see him so. He could wipe us all out with in the blink of an eye without magic at all, for his prowess in battle is unmatched. His powers over the mind are immeasurable. And he controls a cadre of forces, creatures and agents long-thought lost to this world, that would terrorize modern man if they ever became aware of these creatures’s existence.”

“That’s outrageous!” said Dirk suddenly.

“Yeah,” added Hasim. “How come he’s never taken over the world then, if he’s so damn powerful. No one is that strong.”

“An excellent question. Because there are those that resist him, and have always done so. I, myself, have been fighting him for what you would quantify as over one hundred millennia. The planet itself has been in danger for that long, that it has given me my mission. Mordru must be defeated.”

“He has worked in shadows when it seemed it would be more beneficial to do so. Other times, he has been open about his conquests. In Ancient times, the Roman Empire and the Persian Empire united for the first time in their respective histories to combat the devil himself, who had amassed a power-base so large that they feared he would take over the world itself. History has not been kind in recording things Mordru would not like us to know. His agents have always been very proficient with pens over swords.”

“It was then that Monius Elysius, along with a great number of other contemporary walking legends battled the armies of Mordru. It was there that Monius was poisoned, betrayed, although to this day he does not know by who.”

“The Emerald Eye was the most powerful tool in Mordru’s arsenal, though he could not use it himself. It was wielded by his concubines, whose direct lineage from one female to the next gave them unique genetics and inclination towards the specific type of chaos magic needed to use the eye. Thus, Mordru’s lovers from one generation to the next were his greatest generals, and their daughters, bred for this specific use (and by the best young warrior in the empire available) were trained for this their whole lives.”

“The army was successful, and Mordru was defeated. But Mordru is never truly defeated, and the Persians and Romans suffered far more in the subsequent years than on the battlefield, which was immense. In Rome, Mordru infiltrated the aristocracy and ensured the empire would stop expanding under Augustus. He corrupted the Emperor’s line, ensured madmen and puppets followed. The Persians fared no better—insurrection was a way of life.”

“Ah,” said Blok, looking down, “how time passes. The old man’s patience proved his greatest virtue once more, as years became decades and decades became centuries. Humanity approached what historians call the Middle Ages, although in the middle of what, I cannot say accurately. Rome fell to inside corruption and outside pressure. North of it, a new kingdom arose in a people once believed to be Barbarians, but just as sophisticated and incredibly similar to the Romans. A mixture of this Barbarian blood, Roman aristocracy and a unique Middle-Eastern heritage among the ruling class. Venegar was its name. Mordru’s female generals had created their own empire, using what was left of ancient Roman aristocratic blood to inter-mix with their own. Mordru, of course, truly pulled the strings. Later, with an early Frank element, the name “Romanescu” became the family name, to signify the Roman heritage. Each Empress ruled her kingdom with an iron grip, terrorizing her subjects with the powerful Emerald Eye of Ekron. History has forgotten this era as well.”

Jacquie looked on quietly, as they all did. It seemed too far-fetched to be remotely real. They were no scholars—most of them where young kids. But it just didn’t seem right. Blok could sense this. “Mordru’s abilities are stronger than you think young ones. Venegar as very real, and lasted for a long-time. When Charlemagne finally decided to crush it, Mordru’s enemies saw that they had a window of opportunity, and they rushed to join him. I fought once more against the Dark Lord, and once more the struggle was immense. He withdrew to his true home, in the Peninsula to the Middle East, near Babylon and the Dead Sea.

“But after all those long centuries, the Empresses had been defeated. The Eye had been captured. A unique group of us set out to hide it from Mordru, for getting it out of his hands was our greatest concern, since destroying such an artifact is impossible. He would look for it for the next centuries, undoubtedly. Most likely, looking to control it himself. The people of Venegar were consumed by the other empires of the day, though a small group moved on, under the protection of Charlemagne for the role they played in the downfall of the House of Romanescu. With their spectacular magic abilities, which had mastered the art of illusion, the family of Proiectra was raised to the rank of king and queen of a new order, and settled in the area of Moldavia. With heritage as far-reaching as Ancient Rome, citizens of their nation, which would spread far and wide over this part of the world, would one day create a community they referred to as Romania. The Romanescu line was not broken, however. And it became the traditional duty of the heirs of Proiectra to oversee the heirs of Romanescu.”

“It is without doubt that the war-torn and violent history of that region must somehow be linked with the interest of Mordru himself in it. His agents roamed there for years and tried all manner of ways to serve his will. The legends there can verify…strigoia, or undead, or vampires, or whatever you call them carried out his will for centuries. The Europeans and Austrians had an interest, as did the Russians and the Greek Byzantines before them. For every war fought in that region, some force has looked for the Eye there.”

Now Blok was silent. No one spoke. “Two thousand years have passed since Monius Elysius began his slumber and the world has not stopped. It has moved forward and immense time has passed. A quiet war, which at times has been anything but, has raged in humanities name. On side stood all who stood for freedom, most all long dead. On the other side stood Mordru, who still stands and still continues his plotting, often winning for long periods of time. And now, quite suddenly, young heroes such as yourself have begun to appear all over the world. Even now, the Legion of Super-Heroes continues to form in New York, presenting what could be the single most powerful assembling of warriors in the history of man. Here, on the other side of the world, a group of young warriors has coincidently come together, as if fate decided that those with a unique connection to Mordru should meet face to face and discuss if this is the time to finally end his reign.”

“You think fate has brought us together, to battle Mordru then?” asked Mon.

“I think that for whatever reason, the very fact that we are all here together means we have a responsibility to do so. Here before me stands the daughter of Mordru,” said Blok, looking at Mysa. “And she is as pure and benevolent a spirit as these ages old eyes have ever seen. How could it be that so vicious a man could produce so good a child? There is hope. And now is the time to act on it. The planet has decided it can take it no more. Fate, coincidence, evolution and history have collided and a war is coming. Mordru knows this and sees this. He will act on it. It is up to us to respond.”

Ten Zil looked at Maziah, saying little. She knew what they were thinking. She looked at Blok. A tear ran down her cheek. “I…I…I’ve always known that he was not a good man. I just never knew…” Tenz walked over to her and hugged her. Jacquie held her hand and Tatiana walked over too. “I know he sees the world as his…I…believe you Blok.”

“I know child,” said Blok. “All these millennia and he’s never had children. Perhaps this was why. Perhaps he knew that despite all he has convinced himself of, he knew that in his heart he was wrong and his children would see that. And that can make all the difference.” And then Blok put his hand around Maziah’s, and she looked up at him, the tears stopping. “I see hope in your eyes Maziah, and I feel re-energized. I believe in it too.”

Jacquie gave Maziah a big hug now, as Dirk turned to Tatiana. “So, Mordru, enemy of humanity for over two thousand years? Ha! I’m a male model! I’ll show him what tough is.”

Tenz smiled and now he talked, “I just want to say that I’m glad I ran into you people in Seoul. In case life was so dull with the torture thing, I’m glad I have this end of the world thing to think about.” They laughed, and even Maziah smiled.

Tatiana smiled at Blok. “This is called gallows humor,” she said, adding “it means it will take us all a long time to process it.”

“Good,” thought Blok, “because there is still so much I have yet to tell you…”

“Hey,” said Hasim. “So this means we’re at war?”

“We’ve always been at war,” said Mon, cutting in, “now we just know we’re fighting for something worth dying over.”

21CL: Workforce #8, part 1 - Reflecting
#96488 10/31/05 05:52 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Tikhik sighed heavily, as he looked out over the sea, as he so often did these days.

It hadn't worked. Their attempt to "borrow" a line to the Legion of Super-Heroes hadn't worked and he was still stuck, thousands of miles from where he needed to be. He shuddered to think what McCauley might be doing to other innocents...

Suddenly, he felt himself pulled up into the air, and began to swirl about like a toy gyroscope. Despite this, he made no attempt to struggle and almost sounded bored as he said "Hello Tom."

"You're not seriously saying you're not impressed! C'mon, I only got the hang of it earlier on"

"It's hard to be impressed when you're swirling about like a top... and you call this 'the hang of it?'."

Tom sighed and lowered Tikhik to the ground as gently as he could - unfortunately, would still have meant a bit of a bump, as he landed on his back, had Tikhik not caught this and opened a gate beneath him, emerging right-side up and slowed by the "upward" momentum. "Tom..."

"C'mon - you needed something to take your mind off stuff... how come you were so calm anyway? Besides, you can't say that wasn't a neat trick!"

Tikhik dusted himself off as best he could and sighed. Tom meant well - he didn't have a bad bone in his body - but he had a habit of not thinking things through. Besides, he wasn't in the mood - depressed as he was, he had better days. This wasn't one.

"Anyhow," Tom continued after a slight pause, worrying about his friend, "I had to bring you in anyway. Mum's making chicken chow mein, and it's nearly ready. C'mon."

Tikhik followed along, trying to push his problems to the back of his mind.

21st Century Legion: Twins
#96489 11/02/05 05:43 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
"Is the cloning done?" His voice had an odd echo to it.

"Not the word "clone". Please. I doubled you. I...twinned you. Equal and original..."

Mark opened his eyes, and saw himself.

They laughed.

21CL: Workforce #8, part 2 - One Bullet
#96490 11/02/05 10:09 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Andromeda felt the impact and turned so that the bullets would ricochet upwards, while scanning for the source.

Dragonmage simply floated as the bullets touched his skin, lost all momentum and fell to the ground.

Enrapture dived into the hollow at her feet and stayed there.

Polarity threw up a shield to protect himself and Spark, who was behind him.

Reflecto asked, "Hey, isn't that a Lockstock 2502 firing .22 SupaAccura cartridges? Nice choice. I wanted one, well two actually, but..."

Ultraboy fell. Hard.

"Are you mine?"

"Yes Meta"

"Always and forever for as long as I please?"

"Yes, Meta," Ultraboy replied and meant it

"Yesssss...."

It was a standard outdoor training day for the Workforce. At that moment, the seven of them were scattered all over the field, Dragonmage, Andromeda and Ultraboy in the air, Polarity and Spark - awkward around each other since the Hallowe'en party - at one end, Reflecto at the other, and Enrapture in the middle, and the first six were practising long-range attacks on a series of targets while Enrapture gauged their responses for report to McCauley later. Simple stuff. Routine - boring even.

It stopped being boring at 1438 hours, when a hail of bullets came from the bushes, with the seven Workforcers in the line of fire. Six of the seven escaped injury. Ultraboy, in flight and thus not invulnerable, was hit by at least four bullets, three glancing blows - one to the head - and one which lodged in his shoulder. He fell twenty feet before landing with a crack.

Dragonmage, Spark and Polarity rushed over to the fallen body, while Andromeda and Reflecto went hunting for the shooter and Enrapture stood stock still - her mind may not have been a million miles away, but it was not in her body.

As he reached Ultraboy, Dragonmage cast a spell to stall his injuries. Spark, worried, asked why he couldn't just heal him. Dragonmage said simply that he didn't know how.

Meanwhile, Andromeda had found and disarmed the machinegunman.

"Bring him to me." Enrapture demanded.

Andromeda complied, dropping him roughly at her feet, as medical personnel rushed to examine the severely injured Ultraboy. Their response time would later find them out of a job.

"He is a radical anti-vivisectionist," Enrapture said, looking into his mind. "When he was a child, he kept rabbits. Two years ago, an old college friend of his visited him and convinced him to join the organisation of which he was part, based partially on this childhood idyll.

Three months ago, he took a job here as a janitor, aiming to assassinate Leonard McCauley over his ownership of several breeding farms for vivisection labs and several actual laboratories, using a relationship with a security officer to smuggle the gun in without being searched.

Two days ago, he became tired of waiting for McCauley to come here and decided to direct his frustrations at us instead."

The others began to react, but Enrapture was done talking to them.

"Kneel," Enrapture ordered him, and he fell to his knees. «He was mine,» she added telepathically, «You do not break what's mine and get away with it.»

A rabbit came hopping along the ground and paused just in front of him. Enrapture transmitted an image of what he would soon be doing.

"NO! No" - he was suddenly cut off.

"And you will enjoy every second of it."

The others stood frozen, even Reflecto stunned into silence. Prevented from interfering by Enrapture; Andromeda, Spark and Polarity looked away, while Reflecto and Dragonmage continued to watch.

"Begin."

"...could you please repeat that?" Even Leonard McCauley was shocked as his underling repeated what Enrapture had done in vengeance.

"Plus, apparently every time he sees a rabbit, or even reads or hears the word "rabbit", he'll relive the experience and how much he enjoyed it."

McCauley took off his glasses and polished them with his handkerchief. Remembering what he'd done and was continuing to do to Mano; and what the gunmen had planned - and thus what he'd probably have done had Enrapture not done what she had - he decided that Enrapture would suffer no penalty, but even by his standards...

"...daughter I never had," he muttered, then looked up.

"So, Ultraboy..."

"Yes sir - all news of the incident has been suppressed so far, and the surgeons brought in have all signed Non-Disclosure Agreements."

"Any next-of-kin to cause trouble?"

"Not that we've found, sir, although in light of events, we're obviously rechecking. Right now though, he supposedly has fourteen mothers, and twenty-two fathers, half or which watched 'their son' grow up. None are expected to be genuine."

"What is his condition?"

"Comatose. Right now, it's 50-50 whether he'll last through the night, although if he does, the long term prognosis is expected to be good."

"We are committed?"

"Yes, sir."

McCauley's face showed the irritation, and he sat through the rest of the report in silence. After finding there were no decisions to be made bar the obvious sacking of the medical team - the question of a replacement waiting until a fuller report on Ultraboy's condition was available, and unfortunately the security guard had already been arrested - McCauley sat up and pressed a button on his wristwatch. Five seconds later, a lilac-skinned elven girl appeared.

He uttered the single word of command "Home," and closed his eyes as she threw a spear at him.

He felt a slight thump, and found himself on the chaise-longue in his anteroom. He stood, and walked through the corridors of his home until he reached the door to his garden, which he proceeded to walk through. He then walked through the immaculately-trimmed garden to one very special statue.

Few knew of the statue's true nature. Fewer still knew of it's location. He had first heard rumours of its existence some years before and spent a good deal of time, effort and money to acquire it, and he visited it often to relax.

The inscription read simply:

"CORPORAL JAMES BARNES. BUCKY. A HERO TO THE END."

And what an end, eh, he thought - not for the first time, patting the statue's arm before turning away.

#96491 11/02/05 11:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Interlude

“We are so going to be in trouble for this,” smiled Lyle, and Nura couldn’t suppress her giggle. They had been planning it for weeks, and if Gene or even Cos caught wind of it, there’d be hell to pay. But neither Nura or Lyle were one to sit around and wait for clearance. Leadership came in many different forms.

Nura’s concern for her sister had encompassed every waking thought she had for the last ten weeks. Now, finally, she was going to do something about it. She knew Lyle would be the perfect person to help her, even if neither of them would going on this little ‘espionage mission’.

Before them stood four more Legionnaires: Spirit, Catalyst, Valor and Shrinking Violet.

“A-are you sure this is OK?” said Sally, and Val couldn’t help but suppress a small smile.

“Thank you all so much for doing this,” said Nura. “I cannot tell you what it means to me, that you’d help me like this.”

“Your sister is in trouble Nura,” said Valor. “That is enough.”

“It’s our pleasure Nura,” answered Tina. “and most of us are just sitting around here these days with nothing to do while Cos sorts out our problems with UN and the Health regulators.”

Lyle nodded. “There isn’t a monopoly on power around here. Gene will be furious, but Nura and I will cover for you. You four are about to undergo the first unofficial espionage squad mission, which includes a trip halfway around the world.”

Val could notice Sally visibly shaken.

“We’re Legionnaires,” said Tina, ever confident. “We can handle the travel.”

“I wish you could use your flight rings,” said Nura, “but you know the problems we’ve been having. The Health Regulators are saying that they’re too dangerous and the UN had to confiscate them all. We’ve had so much trouble getting good technology…”

“It’s a constant struggle,” said Lyle. “Which is why I happened to sneak out four flight rings before all Brainy’s stuff was searched through. But you don’t need them, you need stealth. Get out there un-detected. You all don’t know this, but Nura and Irma have been able to telepathically communicate with their friends across the world for years, and now something has cut off that connection. You need to find out what, and find Nura’s sister Maziah. Good luck.”

With that, they said some brief goodbyes, as Catalyst gave Lyle a hug and the invisible hero could whisper “be careful…please.” Nura held Tina close too. “Thank you for doing this,” almost surprised the young heroine agreed so eagerly. There was a strength of character to Spirit that most might not see at first. Tina smiled. Val simply nodded. Sally seemed lost in the shuffle, unsure of why she was going along.

They were off. Taxi by night, plane by day with regular plain tickets and passports, created specially by Lyle these past few weeks. Not the most cosmic way, but certainly efficient.

Lyle turned to Nura and smiled. She smiled back. “We’re in so much trouble.”

End interlude

#96492 11/02/05 12:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Sakkim, India

“Beautiful,” said Maziah taking in all the images around her. “Simply beautiful.”

It had been another ten days since they left Japan, on the road traveling, trying to figure out how to get from Japan to England, without having to pass through Mordru’s part of the world in the process. It was Jacquie who suggested Sakkim, one of the most beautiful parts of India. Known as the “Land of the Mountain Crests”, it is one of the richest parts of India in terms of diverse culture, as well as one of the most central places of the massive country in terms of connections to the rest of the world.

“Good choice,” said Dirk, “I want to try and get into the famous ‘Sky Café’ in Gangtok which I’ve read about. It’s supposed to be as chic as it gets.”

“I’ve read about it too,” said Tatiana, “it’s a place that used to cater to more locals, offering the traditional Himalayan hospitality that the area is known for. In recent years it has become *thee* place for business men, intellectuals and college students too…it’s one of those rare places that is like a center for its time. I’m interested in going there myself.”

And so they choose to come this path, which was not easy. Some quiet boat rides combined with some harsh climbing and attempting to find rides. The Princess’ money was running out. Maybe it was better to have Mon fly them around the world, one by one…

“Wow…we are definitely spending a few days here,” said Tenz.

“Days?” said Hasim “More like weeks…smell that air…”

It smelled unbelievable. Clean, fresh, but with hints of spices like cinnamon and tea. It just felt…uplifting. These past few ten days had not been easy on them. The full notion of what Blok had told them had begun to set in, and they had come to realize they were playing in the grandest of all chess games, with the largest of all prizes. There was an air of dread the would continually make the rounds among them, and would take someone to fit off and lift people’s spirits. Ten Zil’s humor had become a reliable source of escapism, as had Dirk’s cockiness. Jacquie and Ten Zil had recently both just lost their fathers and Ten Zil’s family was still missing. Mon-El was still accepting that he missed two thousand years of history and no one knew much at all about Hasim. Maziah would be quiet for long periods of time, coming to terms with the idea that she was now actively working against her own father. It was not the most easy-going group of teen-agers, who are not ordinarily easy-going in the first place.

They had climbed some portions of mountains, but relied mainly by travel on boat when possible. The journey would only get harder, when they moved from India to Russia. But that was for later. Now, they had approached Sakkim, a beautiful area of the world, which was exactly what they needed after exhausting themselves with quiet travel. The boat they were on was reaching its destination.

Tatiana stood and watched the view, very quiet. Her skin had progressively gotten more and more pale, and had now turned to a shade of very light blue. It had begun to unnerve her greatly. Was she becoming some type of freak? The air was crisp and she felt a chill for a moment. Behind her was Mon-El, standing up-right and tense, not letting the cold wind bother him at all. He stood close to her, but did not touch her. But she could swear she felt his warmness near her. He was quiet too.

“So, the Sky Café then Princess?” said Dirk, with a mock-air about him, enjoying calling Jacquie Princess.

She gave him a sarcastic, but amused smile. “Yes, brave knight,” she said, evidently tired of being called Princess. It was also evident, Tenz noted, that the two were speaking again. He first thought there was some sort of mutual attraction between these two, but wasn’t sure anymore. It may just be a growing, strong friendship.

“Have you been to Sakkim, Blok?” asked Tenz.

“There is very few places on this planet I have not been,” he said, to which Hasim rolled his eyes. Blok sensed it. “But I enjoy the mountainside very much” he added, offering to show a more human side to his personality.

“It is quite beautiful,” said Maziah. Jacquie smiled and held Maziah’s arm. Tenz could seek Hasim actively not getting too close to Maziah, not comfortable to be around the daughter of Mordru. Ten Zil was unsure how to feel. He liked her and at this point in time, that was enough. He had come to accept his life would never be normal again…he may as well ensure that he separates out the weirdness of this new life from the friends he would find there.

“Maybe we can spend a quiet few days in Gangtok then,” said Dirk. “You know, without getting attacked?”

#96493 11/02/05 12:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Gangtok was equally as beautiful. What was awaiting them at the dock, however, caught them unaware.

For a little city on the edge of the Himmalyia mountains, word evidently got around very quickly. Jat Amarjeet, whose role in the city amounted to him being similar to a ‘prefect’ was waiting for them at the dock. Evidently, the ships captain had called ahead of time to let him know that the Moldavian royal Princess was on board. Someone (Dirk or Ten Zil) had let it slip.

“Welcome,” he smiled as the departed the boat and entered the city for the first time. “Welcome to Gangtok.” Jat Amarjeet was a nice man, who seemed please that he could meet them as they entered and offer them hospitality in the city. Hasim thought he was being nothing more than a politician and a businessman, selling the richness of the city for whatever he could. Whatever the mans intentions, they were strictly for his own benefit.

Minutes earlier, Blok had wished them farewell, telling them he’d see them inside the city. Then, amazing the other, he leaped into the water. As Jacquie, Maziah, Dirk and Tenz went out to greet the prefect (for lack of a better term), Tatiana, however, tied to slip past very quickly. Her appearance was making her increasingly uneasy.

“Tatiana, wait,” said Mon, speaking up.

“Mon, I just want to get situated. I don’t feel like being—“

“I’ll go with you,” he said, with some finality. He was not going to argue.

”Ok,” she smiled.

“Ah, you will need a place to stay,” said Amarjeet. “I will gladly find you lodging for your stay here. It is a beautiful city and you should enjoy a quiet time while you are away. This is a vacation, princess?”

“Yes,” said Jacquie without missing a beat, “we are all away on holiday, for, er,--“

“Spring break,” said Dirk finishing for her. “Did the whole Central American-Caribbean thing. Ditto for Mediterranean. Now we’re checking out India, to see what’s going on.”

“I…see,” said Amarjeet, evidently not prepared for that comment. “There is plenty to see here, many beautiful things.”

“We’re really looking forward to the Sky Café,” said Maziah, “we’ve heard so much about it.”

Amarjeet smiled. “Of course. Everybody goes to the Sky Café! It’s unlike anywhere else truly…scholars, businessmen, young people. I can say right now you will find it most enjoyable. I, myself, may stop by tonight and see how the evening crowds are dining. Come now, let’s find you lodging.”

------------------

”Wow Jacquie,” said Dirk, “remind me to always travel with you. We’re like celebrities here.”

“Which is exactly what we didn’t want,” she replied. They were in her hotel suite, which was immaculate. “It’s sufficient to say there will be a certain amount of attention on us while we’re here.”

“In that case then,” he added as Hasim walked in, giving Dirk an annoyed look. “We’ll have to make the best of it,” and Dirk followed by pouring two large glasses of lush wine. “Sorry Hasim, I couldn’t find a third glass.”

“I thought Americans couldn’t drink until they were 21?” said Hasim.

“Well, we’re not in America, are we? With the wait of the world on our shoulders, we’ll need to loosen up a bit for a few days anyway…”

-------------------

“Tatiana,” said Maziah, “you are coming out tonight.”

“No, Maziah. I’m not. I have no desire at all anymore.”

“But only hours ago you were talking about this “Sky Café. You need to come out. We all do.”

“I’d prefer to stay in tonight, I’m afraid.”

“Tatiana,” said Maziah, getting close to her. “I know its bothering you. But its not as bad as you think. You should come out, get your mind off your skin. No one will bother us. Trust me, of all people, I want to crawl in the corner and hide away from everyone. I’ve hardly ever been social in my life. But I think it will be good for us.”

Tatiana smiled. A tear formed in her eye. “Ok,” she said.

-------------------

“He knows much more than he’s letting on,” said Mon-El to Ten Zil.

“What?” replied Tenz. “Who?”

“Blok. There is much more to the story than he’s telling us. I’m sure you could sense it.”

“Mon, that’s so yesterday. We need to focus on going out tonight and relaxing. You can see your lady friend in a nice pretty dress…some candlelight…”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about Tenz,” said Mon, “but I assume you’re referring to Tatiana,” he added. “Which my reply is then…I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Right,” smiled Tenz back. “Are you pouring us a drink? I don’t think I’ve ever even had a drink before?”

“No? I noticed that youths don’t drink much in this day and age. In Rome, it was fairly common for dark wines or frothy beer to be handed out to any able bodied warrior. Given my abilities and your penchant for eating cold steel, I think we count.”

“Did you just make a joke?” said Tenz in shock. “You’re right! I definitely need a drink now…”

Mon smiled, as did Tenz.

“Speaking of secret and rocky, where is he? Is he going to be able to join us? I’d hate for him to be left behind.”

“There is a patio there,” said Blok, suddenly forming out of the Earth on the mountainside by the balcony of their extravagant hotel suite. I can find myself there if you’d like to join me at some point during the night.”

Both Mon and Tenz seemed to have the same reaction of watching Blok grow out of nowhere in the middle of their conversation. Mon tensed up, and then eased himself and smiled. “We’d be delighted.”

“I’ll never get used to that.” said Tenz.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star