Roll Call
0 members (), 39 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I think Lo3W's suffered...
rickshaw1 #970664 05/06/19 05:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I want to add to the posts above me that that rebooting the Legion so many times has divided the fandom very much. Also, the lack of a Legion title means that the main exposure they have gotten was from the cartoon and CW shows (first Smallville and then Supergirl). That is why Mon-el and Brainiac 5 won the last leader poll on the DC website; they were the characters with the most exposure in the DCU at the time (Mon-el from the Superman comics and Brainiac 5 I would guess due to Supergirl comics and the cartoon). It is kind of like Star Trek at this point, in which there are so many versions it is impossible to make everyone happy.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
rickshaw1 #970679 05/07/19 10:36 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks for the insights and the updates, Emily. Being largely out of the pop-culture loop as I am these days, I feel blessed to have friends who can keep me up to date.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #970684 05/07/19 11:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I grew up with the Postboot / Reboot - it's MY Legion, and even after finding out it was not the first canon version, it still remains MY Legion.

That said, I empathize with how Preboot fans felt - especially after the Threeboot came and erased the Reboot / Postboot.

Ah well, what's done is done. But I wonder: the Preboot probably does have more fans because it lasted longer. But can a revival return to the Preboot roots while incorporating elements of other 'boot?' Migrating XS and Gates to the Retroboot was one attempt. Perhaps this can be done again. It's not everything, but it's a start. I know that having XS and Gates jump to the Retroboot made me want to pick it up... at least for a while.

rickshaw1 #970693 05/07/19 02:14 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I'm not sure why we can't have all versions of the Legion. Freaking multiverse.

The biggest problem with the retroboot, imo, was trying to hammer the square peg of the Legion into the round hole of current DC continuity. In a way, that's really been the problem since Crisis. So if you're going to do a "preboot" version of the Legion, it's not enough to simply bring it back, without bringing back all of pre-Crisis "Earth-1".

Eryk Davis Ester #970695 05/07/19 02:46 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I'm not sure why we can't have all versions of the Legion. Freaking multiverse.

The biggest problem with the retroboot, imo, was trying to hammer the square peg of the Legion into the round hole of current DC continuity. In a way, that's really been the problem since Crisis. So if you're going to do a "preboot" version of the Legion, it's not enough to simply bring it back, without bringing back all of pre-Crisis "Earth-1".

Ah, yes, continuity.

Can't live with it, can't ignore it.

Personally, I think DC should just say "To hell with it," and damn the torpedoes!

But I know that won't happen. sigh

Invisible Brainiac #970697 05/07/19 03:28 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
But can a revival return to the Preboot roots while incorporating elements of other 'boot?' Migrating XS and Gates to the Retroboot was one attempt. Perhaps this can be done again. It's not everything, but it's a start. I know that having XS and Gates jump to the Retroboot made me want to pick it up... at least for a while.

That's interesting. I felt bad for postboot readers seeing the unique characters from their 'boot being appropriated outside of their real home.

I didn't see why the retroboot couldn't have been continued with a different writing team. I think the Levitz issues, certainly v6, had good moments. There were a fair number of average issues in v4 too. I did think it struggled with the shorter page counts. Levitz used to leave subplots hanging for quite a while and added plot seeds into the book too. In v6 and v7 it seemed that some of those plots were either editorially mandated, the editor told Levitz to drop them and move on or the editor should have been firmer. Lightning Lord's twin comes to mind; the Mon-El as Green Lantern and Legion Leader; Earth Man etc.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #970710 05/08/19 03:25 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Good points, Thoth.

I actually quite liked the whole thing about Glorith and her emerging time powers, introduced right before the 1.5 issue-long Giffen murder-fest. I also still think (taking into account both the ongoing Legion series and the Levitz/Batista Legion Secret Origin, that Harmonia Li was meant all along to be revealed as the Time Trapper, but Levitz never got to tell that story.

And that Levitz/Maguire final issue was a surprise delight, which at least put a pretty bow on that whole erratic run.

thoth lad #970719 05/08/19 03:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
But can a revival return to the Preboot roots while incorporating elements of other 'boot?' Migrating XS and Gates to the Retroboot was one attempt. Perhaps this can be done again. It's not everything, but it's a start. I know that having XS and Gates jump to the Retroboot made me want to pick it up... at least for a while.

That's interesting. I felt bad for postboot readers seeing the unique characters from their 'boot being appropriated outside of their real home.

I would rather the whole team stayed together. But I knew that would not happen, given the Preboot's relative popularity. So, better to see 2 beloved characters "survive", than see none at all.

Problem with keeping only one version of the Legion, is that I only have an emotional connection to one - and that one wasn't picked. So pick the Preboot to continue, and I have no connection to it because I'm a Reboot reader.

Then again, it also doesn't make business sense to have ongoing series for both Preboot and Reboot, which I understand.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/08/19 03:43 AM.
rickshaw1 #970739 05/08/19 04:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't really know which version I would prefer. I grew up with Pre-boot. I started collecting with 5YL (which I enjoyed). I read and enjoyed Reboot. I was never sure about Threeboot but thought some of the writing was terrific. Retroboot was nice and semi-familiar but didn't quite work for me on the whole. The occasional "recent" guest appearances have been great to see, even when the stories were average.

I guess I would be glad to see any version. Just get them back into publication again.

stile86 #970747 05/08/19 07:38 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Originally Posted by stile86
I guess I would be glad to see any version. Just get them back into publication again.

Be careful what you wish for.
Don't forget Eclipso's Legion of Death

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
stile86 #970777 05/09/19 01:36 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Why, the moment Doomsday Clock is over, they'll rush it... hmmm... it'll *be* the 30th century by then. smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #970779 05/09/19 01:50 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by thoth lad

Why, the moment Doomsday Clock is over, they'll rush it... hmmm... it'll *be* the 30th century by then. smile

ROTFLMFAO lol

Doomsday Clock, superhero comics' equivalent of the albums "Chinese Democracy" by Guns n Roses and "Push and Shove" by No Doubt.

Klar Ken T5477 #970788 05/09/19 05:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

Be careful what you wish for.
Don't forget Eclipso's Legion of Death

Ouch! I missed that one. Lucky maybe?

Edit: Ah I see. Justice League 3001. I kind of grew tired of JL 3000 and never read that far.

Last edited by stile86; 05/09/19 05:22 PM. Reason: found with research
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Reboot
Reboot
The Mainframe