Roll Call
1 members (Reboot), 8 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/25/24 01:32 PM
Why doesn't anyone here say 'chuffed', damnit?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 05/25/24 01:31 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/25/24 06:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/25/24 06:56 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:39 AM
What Turns you Off!!!!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:36 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #1 (2019) - SPOILERS
Nightcrawler #978647 11/10/19 07:59 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
The "dad tags" are an interesting idea in principle, but I'm really not getting how they are used. They seem to show up kind of randomly (maybe the reader isn't being shown them all the time?). But the fact that they seem to be behind the character seems to vastly reduce their usefulness even in-world. It looks to me like they'd be really difficult to read because the person is always blocking them. "Excuse me, can you move out of the way so I can see who you are?"

Eryk Davis Ester #978660 11/10/19 04:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
The "dad tags" are an interesting idea in principle, but I'm really not getting how they are used. They seem to show up kind of randomly (maybe the reader isn't being shown them all the time?). But the fact that they seem to be behind the character seems to vastly reduce their usefulness even in-world. It looks to me like they'd be really difficult to read because the person is always blocking them. "Excuse me, can you move out of the way so I can see who you are?"

Good point! An interesting idea but perhaps not a great execution.

I was going to ask if anyone knew about the "Frichtman" name when I came across this article on nerdist. I guess from your reference to "dad tags" EDE you already knew about it but for anyone else here is the link.
https://nerdist.com/article/legion-of-super-heroes-brian-michael-bendis-x-men-easter-egg/

Nightcrawler #978661 11/10/19 04:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Nerdist also have another interesting interview with Bendis about his crafting of Legion and issue #1 in particular. Good insight into what he is trying to achieve.

https://nerdist.com/article/legion-of-super-heroes-brian-michael-bendis/

stile86 #978662 11/10/19 04:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86
Oh and what is with the "Long Live Kandor" phrase and bowed heads? Another of Bendis' hooks which certainly hooked me.

I totally forgot about Bendis "Man of Steel" miniseries from last year in which ...
Kandor was destroyed along with presumably all its inhabitants by Rogol Zarr. I kept waiting for some miraculaous save but it never happened. I guess they are all really dead ... until Bendis or some other writer retcons a solution, which in this case I would be totally happy with.

Nightcrawler #978664 11/10/19 04:37 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
^^I assumed that was the setup for something unrevealed. That sounds like it's in need of a retcon, asap.

Nightcrawler #978669 11/10/19 06:24 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
To reiterate, I expected much worse.

I get the feeling that Bendis and his editors are trying to make as much of a clean break with the Legion's past as is possible for them.

Ideally, this would be a 100 percent fresh start, like what DC did in the late 1950s/early 1960s with the JLA-rather-than-JSA, Barry-as-Flash-rather-than-Jay kind of stuff.

But I still think it's working out pretty well so far. That's why I have been so quick to forgive Bendisboot Ultra Boy's panel-hogging and Bendisboot Wildfire's wishy-washiness and outright stupidity. They're not *really* Ultra Boy and Wildfire in my mind, and it's been a much easier adjustment for me than I thought it would. The redesigns are growing on me, too, except for Tenzil, Blok, and Chuck (who I think looks creepy with light-brown hair, like a sleazy game-show host or something.)

No complaints from me about Ryan Sook's art. I can sympathize to a point with readers who feel cheated by the big, open layouts, but I'm so dead-set against the whole Giffen School of "More Panels, More Story" that it was never going to be much of an issue with me. Besides, I find Sook's layouts and compositions so breathtaking that I linger on them extra time. And I love his faces, always have since his very brief run on the first 2.25 issues of X-Factor.

No quibbles with the portrayal of Mordru, either. Better, I think, than trying to outdo the ridiculous power levels of this villain's past iterations.

Finally, I wouldn't rule out the appearances, a few years down the line, of at least one previous version of the Legion, a la Earth-One/Earth-Two.

LSH is the *only* book from the Big Two that I'm buying right now, and for the moment, I'm glad it is.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Nightcrawler #978672 11/10/19 06:33 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by EDE
I really liked the opening sequence on "Planet Gotham".

Me, too. Sook really hit a home run with that one.

Originally Posted by EDE
"Horraz" could easily be the subject of puns for many years to come.

For some reason, the first thing it made me think of was Heinz ketchup, and the Heinz jingle from the 80s "It's the thick, rich fun." lol

Nightcrawler #978673 11/10/19 06:39 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Nighty
Also, all that build up for Rose to be ignored, was a bit weird.

I myself was relieved. wink

Originally Posted by Blacula
It was certainly a choice to have one of the most famous and powerful villains in Legion history get jobbed in one punch right at the beginning of the issue like a 3rd rate minion... but I actually didn’t mind it. I feel like that, more than anything else this issue, told me that this was a brand new Legion. I also liked the Starbreaker-ish “space vampire” look that Sook gave him.

Total agreement.

Originally Posted by Blacula
Even the hated (by me) Threeboot had a better opening issue than this.

But at least this one had poppin'-bright colours, which I consider an essential ingredient for the Legion. Threeboot, whatever its relative pros and cons, was undenaibly muddy and washed out, so very much of its mid-2000s time. Good riddance, says I.

Eryk Davis Ester #978674 11/10/19 06:45 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by EDE
Forgot to mention this, but when the villain is talking about eating children, I was kind of expecting/hoping for one of the Legionnaires to throw in something like "Eat this, Grandpa!" or some such variation on the threeboot slogan!

That would've rawked so hard.

Originally Posted by doublechinner
I thought I would be more upset about the shattered earth, but, it’s kind of cool looking, gotta say. And, honestly, it’s a perfect metaphor of gen Y kids born into post 9/11 world. It’s just the world to them, they haven’t known anything else, and it’s a logical contrast with Jon, who feels the calamitous horror of it.

Very well put.

Originally Posted by Director Lad
I'm in for the duration. I've said for years that what the LSH needs is a total re-imagining and that seems to be the direction that Bendis is leaning. I'm willing to give him the space to explore it and travel with him on that ride.

Likewise.

Originally Posted by Harbi
The introduction to the team was fun, excited kids talking over each other is pretty accurate really so Bendis got that right.

Bendis does have a gift for that sort of thing, which, unfortunately, got placed on the backburner for a long time while he was doing Avengers and Guardians and such. Now's a good time, I think, to recommend the first few trades of Ultimate Spider-Man to anyone who wants to see more of this side of Bendis. Also the early Miles Morales arcs with the fantabulous Sara Pichelli on art!

Nightcrawler #978677 11/10/19 09:01 PM
Active
Active
I haven't purchased the comic yet. The nearest comic shop is 2 hours away and motivation is an issue.

I was VERY put off by the drastic changes in the entire cast. I've voiced my opinion before and will spare you the speech. Its not a thing different then others have said.

So I read the updates before the comic came out. Most of what I saw did not sit well with me. Adding Robin and Gotham....Agghh!

I saw two you tube videos that blasted the writing and story. However the people doing the reviews were impossible to take seriously for their unneeded dramatics, so I took what they said with a grain of salt.

Now I have read nearly all of the comments you folks have posted and was pleased to see that the vast majority enjoyed the comic. Thank you for your opinions.

I read about Mordru going down without a fight, the new earth cities thing, aquaman trident, and the UP president and thought that most of it sounded good... at least it sounded Legion-like to me.

So I will probably continue to wait 3-5 issues and see how it goes before buying it or deciding against it.

I am particularly jaded when it comes to the appearances of the Legionnaires. I will do my best to convince myself these are not the same persons as the Silver Age through the 80s. If I can get past that, perhaps I will ask my wife to buy me the comic.

Please continue to post and help me find it in my heart to like the comic book enough to buy it and re-read it, adding it to my complete collection.

LONG LIVE THE LEGION!

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
Nightcrawler #978836 11/17/19 01:25 PM
Substitute
Substitute
As stated above, most of you enjoyed the issue. I value those opinions.
However, for me, nothing has changed. I just don't like seeing the 21st century in the 31st.
That's me, and it'll never change.
I'll keep checking back issue by issue to see how the book progresses.
If there's a trade - and i assume there will be - I may pick it up......Bendis reads better that way.
I don't dislike Bendis, but he takes so long to tell a story. I just don't care for his dialogue and tempo.

Waiting on #2 and everyones reviews.

Nightcrawler #978840 11/17/19 03:51 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
The last DC wide reboot I read bits of seemed to go to great lengths to tie books into existing titles. Jonah Hex with Gotham etc. I think this is mainly sales driven to get people interested in those books to give the Legion a try. Superman, Batman and Aquaman so far.

To help me, I just think of all the Superboy issues; the imaginary Batman joining the Legion issue; Tenzil at the Batcave dig; Don and Dawn Allen; Ivo after the JLA descendants and Green Lanterns of the 30th century.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #978913 11/20/19 02:49 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
A bit late, but I finally got out to my comic shop and got issue # 1. Some thoughts:

I like the dialogue.
Not crazy about Mordru's re-design. He should be one of the real big bads, and that does not come across here.
Not crazy about the Legion feeling the need to tie into current-day DC lore. That worked out badly with the Green Lantern Corps (gone, back, gone again, back again...?). Better to not commit to something which another writer might negate by 1000 years.
Is "Horraz" the race of these thieves? Or does it mean "gangster" or some such? Supposedly this is the era of ultra-inclusiveness, equality, tolerance, etc., for the Legionnaires to refer to "filthy Horraz" (or similar) feel wrong, unless I am misunderstanding
Am I the only one whose mind pictures Marlon Brando in Apocalypse now saying "The Horraz...the Horraz..."
"It's a bird!" I love that this Brainy has a sense of humor
I'm glad that the Rose/Thorn thing is being kept visible (albeit barely), since I just bought two issues of her just to get to the Legion
Last page stinger is interesting, very reminiscent of the Post-ZH Legion.

I'm definitely in.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Nightcrawler #978923 11/20/19 08:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Beware the horraz of the horrazible Horraz!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #994094 11/06/20 07:54 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
One Year Later...

Nightcrawler #994099 11/06/20 08:55 AM
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
Oh my God it's one year later

Nightcrawler #994145 11/08/20 05:50 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
It seems like no time at all. Mainly as none of the plots in #1 have moved forward much.

thoth lad #994193 11/09/20 10:36 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by thoth lad
It seems like no time at all. Mainly as none of the plots in #1 have moved forward much.

Yep, and we're ~2-3 issues behind if they were on the 1 issue a month release schedule.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,024
Posts1,045,692
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP