Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » CALLING THE ROLL of LSH #7-- spoilers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: CALLING THE ROLL of LSH #7-- spoilers
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:

Brainiac 5- Querl Dox gets the biggest update to his personality here and its very good for those whom want to like this version. Querl isn't dismissive of his fellow Legionaires by habit but because he expects the best of them. There's some implications about his personality and background too. The most startling is that Querl isn't a genius actually. He's an idiot in fact. Given that Colu has 16 trillion inhabitants, it seems very rarely do Colu leave their home planet and Brainiac is an exception. Specifically, he seems to be an exception because...

"Without intellect. You have nothing! Yo are nothing! If you are percieved as intellectually inferior. You are told you are stupid and you are considered worthless and you are an outcast."

If this is true, I find it more compelling (if slightly dissapointing) as an origin.

Hmmm ... I'd better look at that scene again. I interpreted that, not as something that had actually *happened* to Querl, but as a (possibly) irrational fear of his. But my reading may have been influenced by memories of stories showing the childhoods of the previous versions of Querl.
Expectations for Dox descendants ran very high on Colu in previous continuities. It's easy for someone subjected to such expectations to believe that anything less than perfection is complete failure.

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Mystery Lad wrote:

"What do you think of the visual of Colu as one gigantic circuit-board? I liked it. "Force fields and miniaturization... we have gradually and uniformly compacted our bodies... BOTTLE PLANET OF COLU."

- The giant circuit-board visual was neat, but I didn't care for the "bottle planet" conceit. I like Silver Age analogues as much as anyone, but this one struck me as kinda silly. It didn't add anything positive to the Colu mythos, imo. I was also surprised to learn that Colu has a population of some 16.3 trillion. You'd think a planet full of geniuses would have perfected birth control long ago.

"Where does this leave Imsk? A miniaturized also-ran?"

- Barry mentioned there's a link between Colu and Imsk. Stay tuned.

"Cortex... central router... clever."

- Perhaps that's how Lemnos "sowed forgetfulness" so quickly. Not unlike Universo using the Titanet to usurp billions of minds.

"Does the slash through the 'o' in 'God' Brainy utters while flying above the 'societal degenerates' enjoying their 'external combustions' have any significance?"

- On Colu, even G0d is a binary equation.

"I think Brainy's got the hots for Light Lass... "

- You might have something there. Why else would he be so stuck on the idea of Ayla "giggling about lingerie"?

"Aarrgh! Is that Brainy's mother or not? Why bring it up if you're not going to tell us?!!"

- I'm pretty sure they did tell us. Unless she was Brainy's nanny. Nah.

"A snippy as he's presented here, I'm finally enjoying 'this' Brainy. ... I suspect that's a long-range journey for this character... assuming he still *is* a teammate after the next couple of issues."

- I'll reserve judgment on Brainy until I see what "secrets" were dredged up from his lab. If they find Violet in a sens tank, for example, I'll be pretty mad at him.

"LIGHT LASS: From Winath... hmmm. What does mean for Garth-from-Trom? "

It probably means that Waid is yanking our chains. I'm just relieved that Winath still exists .... unless, as the food basket of the U.P., it's Terror Firma's next target.

"'If you do say.' Shakerish. "

- Never heard the expression before. I wonder if it's Alabama dialect (Waid's from there). A rural/anachronistic speech pattern would suit someone from an agrarian world. But since Ayla otherwise talks like a "modern" girl, it just sounded peculiar.

"'Konapple' Was this invented by the current Superboy?"

- Maybe it's a cross between a kono fruit (from which kono juice is made?) and an apple.

"It's a major demonstration of power... similar to Lightning Lad's a couple of issues ago. Fitting."

- Very impressive indeed, but I felt Brainy's explanation of her power was unnecessarily wordy and pedantic. The stunning visual of Ayla hovering over the plaza would have been enough for me. A picture is worth a thousand words.

"SATURN GIRL: "Is that really the size of my forehead?" Hahahaha! "No alibi." Zingers for Saturn Girl-- who knew?"

- For a character who's never been playful and often seemed to lack even a rudimentary sense of humor, these scenes were a welcome change. One thing bugged me, though. After seeing how aggressively she dealt with Brin in issue #5, I was surprised that Imra was so passive when B5 screamed at her.

- It's not clear why Imra was even sent on this mission. Dream Girl apparently saw roles for Cham and Ayla, but what was Imra's function? She didn't really contribute much, even before Brainy had her stop telepathing outside the group. She might have been there to keep an eye on B5 while the break-in took place, but my theory is that she was sent to Colu to get her out of HQ.

- I'll bet you a konapple that Imra sides with Brainy. Maybe she's been conspiring with him all along. It seems unlikely that B5 would plan a "coup" alone. Plus, she was the one who unseated Cos in the original continuity.

"CHAMELEON/ LIGHTNING CHAM/ SATURN CHAM/ PROTY(?)/ BIG BRAINY CHAM"

- Big Brainy Cham = Brainy + Meglaro. That how B5 *should* have been reimagined!

"The overstimulated antennae make sense for Durlan biology, though they could get annoying if overplayed, here they make for some great scenes... ultimately helping to save Colu's day."

- It's a plausible and welcome power extension. Cham could probably suss out IK as well. His bio-scanning may even be more valuable in certain situations than SG's telepathy, since it's presumably immune to psi-filters, brain scramblers, etc.

- I have the same involuntary reaction to 3boot Cham as Ayla did. EWW! It's not only the squiggly antennae that seem to have a life of their own, it's those blank, lidless eyes. He's been cuter.

"COSMIC BOY: It's difficult for me to read a Cosmic Boy who's this unlikeable...

- Far be it from me to defend Cosmic Boy (yeah, he's a creep), but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. If I knew that an underhanded co-worker was planning to stage an internal coup - and had ambitions to overthrow the government to boot - I'd probably do whatever was necessary to get the goods on him, too. This is not really a Watergate scenario, as I see it, and depending on what "secrets" they dredge up from Brainy's lab, it might turn out that the end justifies the means.

"SUN BOY: Smart. 'If Cosmic Boy believes that we don't know he's playing us sometimes, then he's fooling.' "

- Shouldn't that line read "... then he's fooling HIMSELF"?

- I was ready to discount Dirk, but this scene turned me around. If he's the one to quit, I hope he "flames" both Cos and Brainy on the way out.

"TRIPLICATE GIRL/PHANTOM GIRL: Helloooo, espionage squad!"

- I get the impression TG, despite her obvious intelligence, is still very naive. I wonder if she has a crush on Cos, and that's the reason she's so willing to act as his "eyes and ears". It would make her kinda pathetic, though.

- I was a bit disappointed that Phantom Girl's powers were rendered moot when she couldn't figure out how to phase-disrupt the door.

- It's unusual to see Lightning Lad take part in a stealth mission (couldn't Cos have busted down the door himself?), but I suppose his presence was necessary to identify him as a member of Cos's inner circle. Does Cos trust Saturn Girl as much as he trusts Garth? I have my doubts.

- All three of the aforementioned are senior team members (I'm guessing that's true of PG), which somewhat explains their personal loyalty to Cos, but Lyle's motivations are harder to gauge. I have a feeling he'll come to rue his decision to go against Brainiac 5.

"Really, though-- this issue was a joy. "

- I'm merely grateful that the story's FINALLY kicking into second gear. For less enthused readers like myself, it's been a looooong seven months.

Additional thoughts:

LEMNOS: I'm disappointed he was outed so soon. If he had enough time to break Brainy's shoulder (how strong is he?), he certainly had time to zap his memory again. He's not only lost his cover, he's lost much of his mystery.

- Is Lemnos' ability to cloak himself derived from Invisible Kid's blood serum?

- How does he know what's going on in HQ? Who is acting as HIS "eyes and ears"?

FINAL THOUGHT - Two issues later, and we still don't know what happened to Brin in Otherspace! Gaaaah!!

[ June 25, 2005, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Tromium ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
The most startling is that Querl isn't a genius actually. He's an idiot in fact.

I doubt it. Historically, "Brainiac" was a title granted only to the cream of the crop. His power of "unparalleled intellect" contradicts that notion, too. More likely he's considered an aberration even among Coluans *because* of his preternatural intelligence.

[ June 25, 2005, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Tromium ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Regarding Triplicate Girl, I've had the thought that whole "Cosmic Boy's eyes and ears" thing might be a way of distracting us from the fact that she's actually Lemnos's spy within the Legion (thus explaining how he knows what's going on in Legion HQ).
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Saturn Girl:

Imra has again her old days of glory.
And from the Levitz era her freindship with Brainy.

Brainiac 5;

Cold and hysterical at same time, like every mad doctor. But always brillant.

Light Lass:

I never be a real fan of Ayla. For me she was the least female legionnaire. (She must died in the Super Villains over Orando saga in the place of Karate Kid)
But this time I believe she can like me, I'll wait a little more time.

Chameleon :

Simply fantastic!

Sun Boy :

A real beat in the face for Luornu. The true never can keep hide. Nice guy, I hope he don't leave the team ,really.

Cosmic Boy :

What is the thing Rokk wait find in the Brainy's Lab?

Phantom Girl :

I need more about her powers and personality, but she's more sophisticated than the previous Apparition.

Triplicate Girl:

An spy for the Rokk love? Can be the beginning of a torrid romance....

Invisible Kid:

A good Brainy's pupil , and maybe the next traitor....

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
loved the issue. nice complicated character moments and plot lines converging. love the hefty size of the issue!!
- WnK's version of Cham has finally won me over. As well as Light Lass and Brainy. Saturn Girl still needs a hair make-over IMO.
loved the detailed art. still too gloomy in the colors for my taste.
- i didn't get the impression that Brainy's hysterical outburst meant that he was an intellectual inferior and outcast on Colu. i felt that it's how he was raised/trained to intellectually achieve at any cost. that without excelling he would be nothing. i was a bit shocked to learn that this Brainiac 4 (if that's HER title and not Brainy's father's title) actually sang lullabies to Querl. the previous incarnation of her was quite anti-maternal.
- Lemnos's cape seemed out of place to me. either give him a striking memorable visual and costume or keep him generic. but not a bland super-hero costume. i also wished he looked obviously more older than the legionnaires. he doesn't really look any older than Elysian or Brainy for that matter.
- after Lemnos' comments implicating Cosmic Boy as the true adversary, i started wondering how much of Cos' behavior is being manipulated by Lemnos. in additon to his power to manipulate memories, it seems he must be omniscient somehow. he calls for Terra Firma to teleport him outta there so he doesn't have his own teleportation powers. how does he know what's going on back at legion HQ at that moment? maybe this is where the Mon-El link comes in. Maybe he's somehow using or controlling Mon to be his eyes/ears from the Zone and reports back to Lemnos...? possible, no?
-i'm definitely interested in this storyline. i enjoy seeing the various teams at work. the one lack for me is that Lemnos and Terra Firma don't quite have "it". "It" being a striking visual or a way of resonating with evil or power that makes them memorable and fearsome. so far, there's no real Doctor Doom or Fatal Five moments that make a villain great. the closest we've come is the back-up last issue where Lemnos visit's Brainy in his lab and taunts him in a bit of hubris.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
I admit, Lemnos needs a new name.

Memory Master or something cheezy like that.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the "Brainy as an inferior intillect on his home planet" idea. To me it helps explain why he wants to change things, why he's off planet, and maybe why he has those implants. I didn't see too many other coluans with them.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
BRAINIAC 5: "Why do earthlings even have fingers? What did you do, you gathering of carbon?" So just what is Brainy's bod primarily composed of-- nettles?

Silicon? Just a thought. Maybe it's just an insult, but some of the Coluans looked a bit strange (circuitry in the eyes, for example).

Which means that we see the mission to Colu aboard a good ol' spacecraft. No sweat off my brow-- I'd prefer this mode of transport for the Legion, because it can result in scenes like the one we had here.

Another fan of spaceships here - although the transmatter visuals are pretty cool, and they seemed to use something like that to get onto the planet Colu.

"Level twelve", huh? New jargon for a new boot. All Earth's a nine... Brainiac hyperbole, perhaps?

You know, I read this as the planet itself having a consciousness/sentience- Lovelock's Gaia theory. Maybe I'd just like to think that our little old mudball is smarter than its current inhabitants.

Given later events, it looks like Brainy owes Dream Girl a thank you for her choice of mission-mates, at the least.

Over drinks, maybe?

What do you think of the visual of Colu as one gigantic circuit-board?

WELL-- an ambitious bit of worldbuilding. Always appreciated, by me, at least. And it raises several questions.

1). Will the Brainiacs appearing in SUPERMAN/TEEN TITANS/OUTSIDERS, etc honor this vision of Colu?

2). Does this mean Coluans are born tiny? Does Brainy share the abilities of Micro Lad/Colossol Boy (and, presumably, Atom Girl)? Artificially or with tech-assist?

3). Where does this leave Imsk? A miniaturized also-ran?

At any rate, Colu made for some nice visuals... though I was disappointed by yet another world of drab gray buildings. Is paint a precious commodity in the 31st century?

It's not my favourite version of Colu (preference #1 was from Superboy's Legion) - but it's certainly interesting and visually arresting. Those poor people, though - no trees?

Good questions - hopefully we'll get the answers over the next year - or two or three. Speaking of good questions... "That's a good question - that my people answered while your people were still searching for fire." Was that a continuity blip? Brainy seems to be addressing Cham (or maybe just all non-Coluans) - does this imply that Colu is already miniaturized in the 21st century?

Does the slash through the 'o' in 'God' Brainy utters while flying above the 'societal degenerates' enjoying their 'external combustions' have any significance?

I'm still wondering about Brainy and his views on God, god or G-O-slash-D. That fire scene was nicely reminiscent of the one in Magic Wars.

I think Brainy's got the hots for Light Lass... Is it a case of Brainy Boy getting more and more unpleasant the more he's insecure and upset? He's pretty harsh in his assessment of Light Lass (sort of a 'so there' to LL detractors in Legion fandom, perhaps...)

Nice point about the LL! Brainy certainly seems to have been devoting some thought to Ayla as well as Nura. No doubt it's just professional interest....

Aarrgh! Is that Brainy's mother or not? Why bring it up if you're not going to tell us?!!

Really, she could be anyone - a sister, aunt, grandmother, friend of the family .... please don't make her a dangling plot! Did you notice how asexual she and the other Coluans look? The first one they tried to speak to, Saturn Girl addressed as "he" - but he had a bun, not the crewcut one might associate with the "male" Coluans - so I guess hairstyle is not a factor. They all dress the same and look the same, so maybe they got rid of the gender thing when they miniaturized?

It's a major demonstration of power... similar to Lightning Lad's a couple of issues ago. Fitting.

I love it when they're highly competent! Funny how Light Lass got upgraded to major player in my own mind with that scene, while having essentially the same power as before.

The overstimulated antennae make sense for Durlan biology, though they could get annoying if overplayed, here they make for some great scenes... ultimately helping to save Colu's day. Maybe that's what Nura foresaw, after all.

Cham also used them to sense the Coluans before they came crashing through the ceiling - because they were Zombie Coluans and somehow changed? Like the different variety of konapple?

It's difficult for me to read a Cosmic Boy who's this unlikeable (the boy needs his Night Girl to relieve some stress... or maybe he should break out the Rokky Horror corset...).

Quite unlikeable indeed... but a lot more interesting than the old boy scout.

I thought this issue was supposed to mark the end of 'nonspecific' covers? Why wouldn't Cham and Triplicate Girl or Phantom Girl be featured rather than Dream Girl and Star Boy? At last the non-appearing pair are mentioned in the story, with Dreamy even contributing to the plot.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the cover thing, if it's supposed to have some significance. And the title, "Follow the Leader" - blind obedience to Cos? Or follow which leader?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
BRAINIAC 5: "Why do earthlings even have fingers? What did you do, you gathering of carbon?" So just what is Brainy's bod primarily composed of-- nettles?

Silicon? Just a thought. Maybe it's just an insult, but some of the Coluans looked a bit strange (circuitry in the eyes, for example).

I don't think Brainy's line implies that Coluans are made of something fundamentally different than carbon-based lifeforms. I think the emphasis is on Lyle being a mere "gathering" of carbon. Like a lump, a heap. Rather than say carbon organized in a useful form, like a Coluan.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Regarding Cham's antennae, the konapple scene is a little misleading, in that it implies that Cham's antennae only activate when he encounters a new type of thing, when presumably they activate whenever he encounters a new individual (which seems to be implied during the rest of the issue).
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:

"SATURN GIRL: "Is that really the size of my forehead?"

She should've asked, "Is that really the size of my BOOBS?" Cham's are much bigger than hers. Maybe he's not as asexual as everyone thinks.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion Man
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlion Man   Author's Homepage   Email Merlion Man         Edit/Delete Post     
I enoyed the latest issue and love the semi-spotlight on Light Lass and the impressive display of her power.

So far, the story is intriguing with lots of speculation from us. My worry is how disappointed we will be if our theories do not materialise.

A comment on Cham. If his/her antenna is sentient-sensitive only, does that mean he cannot immitate
a) objects?
b) mythical creatures?
I raise this because I was reading the Mayfair Guide to THE LEGION preboot and it was stated that he could imitate mytical creatures. Is this retconned out?

From: Singapore | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
yeah there are a lot of little things in this version of the legion that just don't add up.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
True DB, but for people like me that haven't read a lot of the Pre-crisis Legion or other old DC space stories, those inconsistencies in nature of powers alien worlds and origins can't bother us.

Some of the stuff the really deliberate reveal of why the legion exists or what's so bad evil about the UP adults government are more problematic.

This book is my favorite right now. However is the style a throwback to the single issues building subplots into a big resolution or is it so decompressed that actions that could happen in two pages of those old comics taking an issue to play out? Detractors could easily argue the second.

Other than that I'm really happy to read all your commentaries on this board. It really adds to my enjoyment of the comic.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.