Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lightning Saga Legion in Action! (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
Now, I'm not reading any of this... stuff... so obviously I don't know (or, honestly, wish to know, really...) all the details...

But it's an alternate post-Crisis Legion. That makes it a Legion whose history was also "screwed up" by it's recreation from Infinite Crisis just as much as the post-Crisis Legion was "screwed up" by CoIE, if in a different way. Exactly how "original" that makes it is up to you.

One last little point in the same vein... if you're saying it's the same LoSH, no history changes as such, just untold stories never heard of... how could a 70s/80s Supergirl have been involved, if a Kara Zor-El only turned up in recent times and all the others are now retconned away? Since they needed to pluck a Kal-El from Earth-IC...

Those are very good points.
As far as i'm concerned, I understand that the new "original" Legion will be as "original" as the new Superman is, meaning that we'll get differences to their stories linked to the fact that this is a world that's post Infinite Crisis and things may be sligfhtly different.

Karate Kid seems to be unaware that Triplicate Girl is Una, which could indicate he comes form a different time period than the others... of course, with this costume, he should know her as Duo Damsel. At the same time, he knows that Sensor Girl is Jeckie... That seems to indicate a few differences...

But I don't mind. Even if the chronology is slightly modified, it means that the characters I grew up and loved are back, not the Archie imitation, and not the Mark Waid debacle...

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pariscub:
As far as i'm concerned, I understand that the new "original" Legion will be as "original" as the new Superman is, meaning that we'll get differences to their stories linked to the fact that this is a world that's post Infinite Crisis and things may be sligfhtly different.

Hm, I see this point that you and Eryk have made and that makes things quite a bit clearer on where people stand. I agree that the current Superman "is-essentially-but-isn't-truly-the-Earth-1 Superman". I'm cool with that to a degree, though I wish he was more like the Earth-1 Superman. In that same token, this Legion will be largely similar to that notion. Its basically the same for Batman too.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
My first Legion comic was #202. It contained a Cockrum-drawn/Grell-inked new story with Colossal Boy and Shrinking Violet that reintroduced Erg-1/Wildfire -- whom I had never heard of. It has the Swan-era reprint of the Super-Stalag of Space. Different artists, different outlooks, for all practical purposes, different Legions, all crammed into a 50-cent 100-page spectacular. I was more delighted than confused. I was 10.

I look at the legions of Legions spread across the DCU today -- animated Legion, including their revisions for next season, Lightning saga Legion, WaK Legion, Mon-El in Action -- and frankly, except for having to spend $15.00 instead of $0.50 -- I am just as delighted and confused as I was 33 years ago.

I think I'm in an ever-shrinking minority, but I like the WaK Legion, and I also like the mystery of the relationships among the LS-Legion, pre-Crises Legions, and the WaK Legion. It is potentially the strongest Legion storyline in a generation.

From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think a lot of the problem is that the notion of the "original" Legion is just so ambiguous to begin with.

For me (and this is what I really agreed with in Matthew's post), the original Legion is this thing that survived the Crisis while having a bit of its history altered, then having a bunch more of its history altered in v4, and was finally wiped out in End of an Era. If one is going to genuinely bring back the original Legion, one needs to explain how that team survived their "whiting out" in End of an Era. If you want to go on to retcon their history even more at that point, then I'm not incredibly happy with that (unless it's the kind of retcon that undoes previous retcons), but I'd still count it as the original team.

Assuming what appears to be the case, which is that the Lightning Saga Legion is from another one of the 52 earths, then the "origin" of this team is basically that it started out as a duplicate of the WaK Legion on another Earth, only its history was eaten by Mr. Mind until it resembled that of the pre-Crisis Legion. If someone wants to count that as bringing the original Legion back, then I suppose that's their choice. And if the continuity were literally identical to what it was in 1985, then even I might be inclined to say for all practical purposes that they "brought back the pre-Crisis Legion", and would probably be much more enthusiastic about it than I am. But it seems to me they've complicated things so much with all this cross-dimensional "New Earth" Superman stuff, plus whatever else it is that they've changed, that I'm not inclined to feel anything for this version simply because it's the "original" Legion in some really loose sense of the term.

Of course, if they write good stories featuring this version of the team (which imo they haven't thus far), I'm certain my view of it will change. But I can't ever imagine considering it anything more than a simulacrum of the "original" Legion.

[ July 20, 2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
More random speculative thoughts, this time probably spurred on by the human parainfluenza virus I'm trying to get out of my system:

--what if Superman is persona non grata because the LS Legion HAS gone looking for other Kal-Els, and ended up with Superboy Prime?

--what if the LS Legion is responsible for wiping out the history of Superboy? Maybe New Earth had a Superboy, and the Legion wiped out that knowledge for some reason, but the memories are starting to leak back?

--what if the LS Legion hooked up with New Earth Supes to PREVENT a Superboy? Maybe all Superboys are destined to end up like Prime, too powerful, all alone, whatever? The LS Legion makes it their mission to mentor young Clarks so they end up as heroes?

--the LS Legion can time/dimension hop with relative ease, while the New Earth Legion can't. Is their Brainy smarter? Or can they do this because they have outside help? Like a captive Flash? Or a Pet Monitor?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
So to anybody who is reading Countdown: How do we have to understand the disclosure of the identity Karate Kids mysterious Legion friend after the end of the Lightning Saga? Any feelings? I for my part feel totally confused, but as long as it's the "classic Legion" confusing me, I will be going along...
From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I went to Wizard online to see if they had sketches. They didn't have Dawnstar but they did have Frank's Supes and it appears the main villain.

Click Here For A SpoilerDarkseid

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Gary Frank's sketches SPOILERS

Some people have commented his Superman is very Curt Swan. I agree.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
No comments on the Countdown storyline here? It IS Lightning Saga Legion in action after all... I don't dare to say who it was that Karate Kid met because I don't know how to include a spoiler here - that is, how to hide a spoiler - but hey, does nobody feel like discussing this?
From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

There was a thread...somewhere about Legion members appearing in other titles. I can't find it? I'm I still half asleep?
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Chemical King --

Check out page 46 of this thread for the discussion you're looking for.

Also, to post a spoiler, click on "Full Reply Form." You should see a menu called Instant UBB Code. The "Spoiler" option is in the fourth column.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DOX-Line-5
STILL have a secret crush on Brainiac-5 Shhhh....I'm Superwoman ...back.from an IMPORTANT mission.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOX-Line-5   Email DOX-Line-5         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi,fellow Legionworlders...been a while since I've been this forum...I miss being here.
I just got ahold of "The Lightning Saga" recently... tell me if it's really true... the REAL Legion is really comming back?
I've put up with the the "current" Legion, being a LSH fan, but my FAVORITE Legion??? returning??? it's too good to be true...one question though? How would Supergirl fit into this?

From: New York-one tough city ! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Based on how Johns and Meltzer wrote 'The Lightning Saga', it's not clear to me that this Legion is meant to be exactly the original Legion. Although clearly they're a variation on the original Legion. And DC does seem to have some plans for them, but it's anyone's guess how that's going to turn out.

Best I can figure, Supergirl doesn't fit into it at all.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone notice that the Legions in Booster Gold?

A small panel just past the middle page that featured the three founders and Clark (they look SO young!)and B5 in the purple jumpsuit on the last page.
Well, they could be the same Legion from different eras...just which Brainiac lost that flight ring anyway?

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Anyone notice that the Legions in Booster Gold?

A small panel just past the middle page that featured the three founders and Clark (they look SO young!)and B5 in the purple jumpsuit on the last page.
Well, they could be the same Legion from different eras...just which Brainiac lost that flight ring anyway?

Over here Art.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.