Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Get Rid of the Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass Now!! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Get Rid of the Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass Now!!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Young adults.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
someone ask Paul Levitz on facebook!

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Friend of mine is 28 years old. We all call him Junior.

Couple friends of mine are often referred to as The Boys.

I'm ok with Ladd/Lass/Damsel

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I always imagined the team as college-aged young adults and therefore had no problem with their names. It's just another aspect of what made them unique.
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Believe it or not, I'm pretty indifferent on this front. I'm okay with the suffixes or without them.

[shrug]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I used to agree, BB. But for now, I'm content to let it be.

In the 31st, human lifespans could be around 200 years, for all we know. They might have a different cultural use of words like Boy and Girl, etc. mid- or late-20-somethings (or even older) could be in that grey area that equates to late tens in our era.

I'd favor a slow transition. Starman and Superman are first, fine. Maybe one now and then, starting a couple years from now -when/if there's reason to switch. Definitely not a whole big bunch at once.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It could be that "boy", "girl", etc. actually just translate Interlac words that are much broader in scope than what we use to render them in English...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't want Boy George to start calling himself "Man George".
And he's like, 80 or some junk!!

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... this could easily inspire a "Ways the Legion is like the Culture Club" thread...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It wouldn't be the Legion without some boys, girls, lads and lasses. I look on it as a comfort thing for the members of the team. They've used those code names for years and probably don't see any reason yet to change them. The code names are as much their names as their given names.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I could care less what codenames they use. I'm more interested in their characterization and presentation being similar to what they have been in the past.

I like names like Apparition and Triad and Umbra better than Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl and Shadow Lass anyway...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
It really doesn't matter if they change them or not. When they were Apparition, Triad, and Umbra, I always read them as Phantom Girl, Duo Damsel, and Shadow Lass anyway. Changing the names just confuses things and the Legion has had enough confusion with all the reboots, alternate timelines, multiple Legions, new costumes every 3 issues, etc. etc. Back to basics I say.

I think it's a bad idea to assign specific ages to comic characters. And I think it's a terrible idea for them to have children. It's one thing to ignore the fact that adults don't seem to age across decades, but it's another matter entirely for toddlers to stay toddlers for decades. In Fantastic Four, Franklin seems to be a toddler again, yet Luna who is what? 20 years younger than he in real time? now (after 30 yrs as a toddler) appears to be a young adolescent. WTF?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
probably new members will be w/out the boy/girl/lad/lass/etc. just as Tyroc/Wildfire/Dawnstar/Blok/White Witch were in the past. we already have Gates and Xs. but changing the boy to man and the girl to woman for existing characters sounds awkward. it doesn't fit. marketing is everything. that's why we don't have a "Bat Boy". it sounds lame. logic is not sales figures.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think that the Legion is the only example of young adults in fiction or history using boy, kid, lad or lass as a moniker. Billy the Kid, Pretty Boy Floyd and the Cisco Kid for example.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

maybe Tyroc will be Pretty Boy Troy.
hee hee.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.