Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Get Rid of the Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass Now!! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Get Rid of the Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass Now!!
BouncingBear
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BouncingBear   Email BouncingBear         Edit/Delete Post     
These are Adults not Children!!!
From: San Francisco | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Completely disagree!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Completely disagree!

Me too. This is an essential part of the Legion's charm that separates the series from the X's and the X wannabes.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Nah ... it's too soon to get rid of the "Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass" parts of the Legionnaires' codenames.

I realize that almost all of them are now full out adults but to change character code names now would be creative suicide to the contemporary new readers as well as us veterans.

Maybe Levitz will do a special story in the new book which could help clear up the actual ages of all the Legionnaires?

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with the disagree-ers! The Lad/Lass/Kid/Boy/etc names are as much a part of the Legion as the 31st Century setting IMO.

And what would they be changed to anyway? We've already been through the Reboot where there was a mixed bag of successful and unsuccessful changes and none of them were as impactful or had the staying power of the original names anyway.

And just upgrading them to Cosmic Man or Lightning Man or whatever is no way an acceptable substitute. I hate the Adult Legion names with a passion.

The writers (and readers) needs to quit trying to fix what ain't broke with the Legion and just give us good stories with the team as they are!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoy the code-names... what IS kind-of bugging me though is that now there's a few "fill in blank"-MAN characters on the team with lots of boys, girls and damsels and kids.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

^ Totally agree. Though isn't Star MAN the only one? As soon as he returns to the Legion he needs to go by Star BOY again. I cannot handle having him as a MAN while everyone else is still BOY or GIRL or whatever.

Wait - I just remembered Earth MAN. Eh - hopefully he won't last long. Is there anyone else?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Superman, but I can let that one slide...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

^ [LOL] Yep - I think it would be a lonely battle trying to get DC to revert his name back to BOY just to keep him consistent with his Legion comrades.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It would've actually made a lot of sense to change them to Man/Woman, etc. when they "reintroduced" the team as Superman's contemporaries. I'm not sure I'd want to see them switching right now, however.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Thom will revert back to his old nom de guerre once he gets back on his meds.

The name "Earth-Man" is an offensive reminder of his racist crimes, so it would be politic of him to look at using Absorbancy Boy, Green Lantern, or something else expressing the combination of his abilities and/or his new alignment.

"Cosmic Man" simply lacks charm. I do not welcome it.

[Absorbancy Boy]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
It would've actually made a lot of sense to change them to Man/Woman, etc. when they "reintroduced" the team as Superman's contemporaries. I'm not sure I'd want to see them switching right now, however.

I'm not sure they are his contemporaries though (in age I'm assuming you mean).

Frank and Perez definitely drew them all as slightly shorter and younger-looking than Kal in Action Comics and Lo3W.

If Superman is in his late-30s (I think that's his default DC age) then the Legion all look to be about mid-20s to me (similar to their ages in the Baxter era).

That's still enough of an age difference for them to get away with BOY/GIRL/etc codenames while he uses MAN. IMO.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought they'd reverted Superman to the "about 30" zone (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I thought Johns or somebody had said that). And the Legion would be about the same, assuming their timeline works the way it did pre-Crisis (one leadership term = one year).
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Ah who knows?

Ages in comics = [X-Bomb Betty]

BouncingBear
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BouncingBear   Email BouncingBear         Edit/Delete Post     
Answer this question. Are they children? teen-agers? or Adulsts?
From: San Francisco | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.