Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Wildfire (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wildfire
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
I don't think he's ever been shown to actually 'lose' what he expends.

At the end of the story I mentioned above, Brainiac tells Wildfire that he actually did have a finite amount of energy to expend and that from that point on, the more energy he used, the more he was essentially killing himself. This was never a follow up to this though.
For me this was a missed opportunity from Legion of Three Worlds. The scene where reboot Wildfire restores original flavour Wildfire would have been much cooler if he had at least mentioned that even though he only has a little energy left and htis coulr be the end of him he was wiling to use it up to save Classic Drake.

Not that I would have wanted him to die and certainly not to save Wildfire but if you have to kill off a Legionnaire heroic sacrifice is a far better way to go than having a lump of Kryptonite thrown through your chest or being blasted by heat vision.

Unfortunately this would not have made Prime look good so obviously Geoff Johns ignored it.

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I'd say it's long past time that Drake had a few different types of suit she could jump into, even a fleshy one that looks like his old human self.

"It's a suit, made out of meat. It's a meat-suit!"
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I'd say it's long past time that Drake had a few different types of suit she could jump into, even a fleshy one that looks like his old human self.

Let's not forget the more antural-looking version Drake adopted in the late Baxter era. Remember the kiss that burned Dawnstar? So that was one notable experiment that still reinforced the character's pathos nonetheless.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Set:

...I'd expect the only reason he hasn't developed the ability to turn into a human form in this (or some other) manner, and, albeit in a limited fashion, regain a sense of a human existence, is the same reason why Charles Xavier always ends up in the wheelchair, Spiderman is wearing blue and red again, Ben Grimm can be cured a dozen times and always turns back into the Thing, etc, etc.

Editorially-mandated pants-wetting terror at the concept of character growth.

[LOL]

Too true.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I just don't see what stories we could tell with this plot development that have not been explored with other Legionnaires. If Wildfire is happy/well-adjusted then how does one use him? What would make a Wildfire story different from a Sunboy story?

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
All of the below is just me playing devil's advocate, I'm not really invested one way or the other; while I quite like Wildfire being a tragic energy being, I wouldn't object to him regaining human form if good stories came out of it. Anyway, to answer your question:
quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow:
What would make a Wildfire story different from a Sunboy story?

The same thing that makes a Sun Boy story different to a Lightning Lad story...or for that matter, a Lightning Lad to a Lightning Lass story. Every character should bring different things to the table aside from just their dominating characteristic.

Have we ever seen or heard anything about Wildfire's family? How do his parents feel about the changes he's undergone? Did they turn away from him when he became energy? Do they even know their son isn't dead? Did Wildfire himself cut ties with them when he lost his human form because it was too painful a reminder of what he'd lost? How would he cope with having all of that suddenly back when he's been living for years with the expectation that it was gone forever?

Etc etc...that's just off the top of my head, but there are things you can do with him that you can't do with any other Legionnaire and they don't preclude him evolving as a character.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow:
I just don't see what stories we could tell with this plot development that have not been explored with other Legionnaires. If Wildfire is happy/well-adjusted then how does one use him? What would make a Wildfire story different from a Sunboy story?

Well, for one thing: even as "average" dudes without powers, Drake and Dirk would not have had interchangeable personalities, backgrounds, histories, et al.

[shrug]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Drake did have significant growth since his inception. I think he's less the hothead, he developed into a mentor to the Academy students, and has become more open with his softer side.

Either way, how much "growth" do the other characters exhibit? Most characterizations circle around one clearly defined trait and rarely deviate much from it. The other gimmicks that have been tried with Drake - the energy body, using Dirk's corpse, the merged people origin, introducing mortality etc... none of that really improved on the original blueprint anyway. I think most of us walk around with a set of issues whose severity varies depending on where we are during our lives, but from my experience people don't really change all that much.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with you. Classic Wildfire is one Legionnaire that has shown the most growth over the years (I can't say the same for reboot Wildfire who came in too late). I think his crush and later friendship with Dawnstar has had a lot to do with him evolving as a person.
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I just want to ask, what other energy beings are there in the 30th century? I listened to a podcast about an energy being in Adventure 308. Is there others?

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
There was the Anti-Matter Force Thing that Brainy used to defeat Computo, but I'm not sure if I would call it a "being".
In the reboot, there was a character named Lume, who was made of light.
In the threeboot, there were those "inklings" on that information planet.
That's all I can remember, offhand.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
There's the Positive Man, who I always thought should've become Wildfire's arch-enemy.

The inhabitants of planet Huop.

Quislet and the Teallians of course.

I'm sure there's more.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
maybe its time to evolve drake into actually becoming wildfire in a human form.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Thanks for the info!

Superboy-Supergirl: How would you tell that story?

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought something like that might happen to Wildfire post-Legion-on-the-Run. Eventually he'd be able to repair Dirk's body but it would still be his mind in it. I've imagined him adopting a variation of Dirk's old costume, but with his color scheme and symbol.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.