Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Adventure 526 (preview, etc.) (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Adventure 526 (preview, etc.)
Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the back up did XS a bit of a disservice. She'd rather work on her craft project than be a proper Legionnaire?!

I agree 100% with the cut-out in Night Girl's cleavage. It's an eyesore! The costume would be OK without it.

I enjoyed the back up more than the main though. I don't like Chemical Kid! And I'd forgotten what was going on since last issue.

Looking forward to the Comet Queen issue though! My hopes are high!

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
<-------- misses Phil's art.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Me too! Feh!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
How is it that this coffin full of green rocks contains CK's genes?

Looks like Green K to me.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Those were awful big 'genes.'

The way it was presented suggested that different green clumps included different genetic codes for traits, too, and that it was the specific clump that Chemical Kid picked up that had the specific genetic code for his chemical mutatation, which is even more weird.

Had they been portrayed as data-chips, or crystals, or vials of fluid, or something, storing the genetic information, I think it would have worked better visually, than the glowing green rocks.

'Cause, in the DCU, as jimgallagher has pointed out, glowing green rocks tend to mean something else. [Smile]

It does seem odd that a culture that has made it illegal to copy Chemical Kings genetic mutation, to the point of fining Chemical Kid's dad 'a starliner full of credits' for doing so, leaves copies of that genetic mutation around on public display, doesn't it?

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I have to wonder if the artist didn't misunderstand Paul's intentions when he wrote 'genes'. Does anyone know if that word is close to another in Spanish or Portugese or something that might mean 'rocks'?

I mean - what artist sees a direction to draw 'genes' and draws large, glowing, green rocks to represent them? [Confused]

That scene totally threw me and I kept wondering about it all issue.

In most other respects, Borges was pretty good this issue though. (Except for depicting Dragonwing's powers coming from her hands - that type of lack of attention to detail is annoying IMO.) But I was surprised and impressed at how capably he was able to mimic Jiminez' art.

The XS story was disappointing. Why did she bother coming to this Earth if she's just going to ostracise herself like that? Whatever mysteries it was trying to hint at were too vague for me to become interested in too. It was nice to see Jeff Moy's art again but like I feared, it was let down by Phil Moy's inking. If anyone wants to see how different and better it looks under another inker, check out his first few issues of Legionnaires introducing the Work Force. That inker suited him perfectly.

The best thing about this issue for me was all the Night Girl attention. I love seeing her get the spotlight she has in this series after however many years of inaction.

Next issue: Comet Queen - VERY far from my favourite character but I have hope it will be a good story.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
. . . It does seem odd that a culture that has made it illegal to copy Chemical Kings genetic mutation, to the point of fining Chemical Kid's dad 'a starliner full of credits' for doing so, leaves copies of that genetic mutation around on public display, doesn't it?

I keep hitting my head against the wall of reality where logic is concerned.
I can't quite tell if the fault lies in my logic or in the world's insanity.
Why should DC snd it's universe, be any different?
[shrug]

I had to make my own logic for the glowing rocks and decided the green kryptonite emitted radiation that preserved the mutated and artifically constructed genetic material.

I had to do the same thing with Jennie's attitude.
She saw something all those months ago that effects her family, including Impulse, her cousin and the timeline.
That's her priority and that's why she said, 'in another lifetime'.
She HAS to make and finish this mosaic or everything might be lost.
Especially if she wouldn't detour to follow-up on the evil 'blue baby'.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Levitz has chosen not to use XS, and likely would not have made the decision to have her stay in this universe at the end of Legion of Three Worlds. I can see why Johns chose to have her stay because of her connection with the Flash family and Bart, in particular. This story served both ends. Levitz has explained why she isn't active with the main team, yet she remains available for Flash family events.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Oh, yeah. Why was Duplicate Girl running around like a whole fleet of waitresses, carrying trays of glasses and pitchers and such? Was she getting ready for graduation day or something? Just how many guests were they expecting?

I think her new name should be Multi-task Lass.

[ May 12, 2011, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: jimgallagher ]

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I mean - what artist sees a direction to draw 'genes' and draws large, glowing, green rocks to represent them? [Confused]

What creeped me out, is you can't really get a sense of how solid those things were, based on the artwork. They looked kinda like green rocks, but what if they were softer, like green bags of glowing gelatin?

Ew...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Levitz has chosen not to use XS, and likely would not have made the decision to have her stay in this universe at the end of Legion of Three Worlds. I can see why Johns chose to have her stay because of her connection with the Flash family and Bart, in particular. This story served both ends. Levitz has explained why she isn't active with the main team, yet she remains available for Flash family events.

That's good information and I appreciate the insight, I do.
But it doesn't help the STORY along, and in the end, that's the only thing that really matters to me.
I don't have control over the writer's choices or the artist's vision of the characters.
I only have what they give me and how I decide to interpret it.

I try to make my own input into the process as positive as I can.
At least, that's how I see it from my present mind set.
sigh

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Read it today...

It's like Paul Levitz read my mind! Last issue my problem with Glorith was that she seemed too deux es machina, this issue he goes to great lengths to address that exact concern! Good work!

I am still not really sold on her, but am more open to her at least....I think now my major issue with her is that I really need to know whether it's a coincidence that she is named after one of the Legion's worst enemies or not...I don't mind if she isn't so much (though it's weird they would have the same name), but the sooner I know for sure, the sooner I can stop seeing her every action through that filter....

Agree with comments about how it's nice to see Lu's non-bitchy side. I quite liked that last page.

Also, I LOVE how integral Night Girl is to this book. The explanation for her being sent to the Academy in the first place sucks, but in true Substitute Heroes style she has taken it on the chin and made lemonade out of lemons. I also like the acknowledgement that at some point she actually WAS a real Legionnaire. It gives her a door back in at some point. [Smile]

I didn't really love XS's backup...the way she's acting, I don't know why she didn't just stay with her home team at the end of LO3W. And I know that's not Paul's fault, but I think he could have found a better way to deal with a bad hand. Considering LO3W ended with Gates agreeing to stay to keep XS company, it seems kind of strange that Gates is on the Legion and XS isn't...

Last thought on the issue, the sequence with Glorith's spell on Alchemical Girl was freakin' amazing visually, but I hope this isn't the end of her as a villain! I would like to see her again! [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:

Agree with comments about how it's nice to see Lu's non-bitchy side. I quite liked that last page. [Smile]

Except that her eye was tiny-sized in that last panel. Should've been at least twice as big.

--------------------

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I had to go have a look after I read that comment Jim, you're right!

Maybe all her dupes are slightly imperfect...half-formed eye here, webbed fingers there... [Wink]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:

Maybe all her dupes are slightly imperfect...half-formed eye here, webbed fingers there... [Wink]

*gasp!* That's revolting, but I love it!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.