Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Chew: The one title EVERYONE here should try! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Chew: The one title EVERYONE here should try!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm very surprised that Chew, the groundbreaking ongoing new series from Image hasn't gotten any attention here on Legion World! Is it possible that no one here's reading it?!?!

Well, I do know that there are several of us here who by individual issues of The Walking Dead, and a free b&w reprint of Chew #1 accompanied an issue of TWD a few months ago. All I can say is:

THANK YOU ROBERT KIRKMAN AND IMAGE FOR THAT REPRINT!!!

Chew is the most original series I've read in ages! If you haven't heard about the concept, the main character is what the book calls a cibopath. Agent Chu (Chew/Chu--get it?) gets psychic info from basically everything he eats--except beets! In the first issue he eats some soup contaminated by a drop of blood from a guy who has done some VERY bad things and what Chu does to break the case is both horrifying and hilarious!

I guess you'd have to say the tone (especially that of the art) of the book lends itself more to in the comedy vein, but there's a lot of moments of horror and drama that makes it hard to categorize. Plus, it's set in a world where the F.D.A. is one of the most powerful agencies in the world! I won't spoil it by telling you the backstory, but "tastes like chicken" has an unexpected meaning in this context.

So check it out! The first trade is only $9.99 cover price (and you can get it for less at In-Stock Trades"), and I doubt you'll be disappointed. Image does it again!

Anyone else reading Chew already?

[ September 30, 2011, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Chu/Chew... hmmm... lemmesee... OH! He's a Superpowered train conductor by night! Right? JEENIUS! [Roll Eyes] [LOL]
I've seen it listed in the Image preorders the last few orders and was interested in the premise. Have to admit I was WFTT on it. Your recommendation's good enough for me, Lardie--er, i [Big Grin] I'll go add it to my December DCBS order.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This was way under my radar up until about three weeks ago. Since then I feel like its been one continuous review raining praise upon it after another--all of them extremely positive. Comic Book Resources and Newsarama are especially high on it. Now you're review of it kicks it up another notch, since you've stared me right quite a bit in the last year.

I may just have to check it out...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, Des--you've already got issue #1 on the back of one of your Walking Deads (looked it up--issue 63) you've been hoarding, so read it! You won't have to spend another dime to see whether you'll like it or not! What? You don't trust yourself to read the back half and not the front half? C'mon!

The great thing about issue 1 is that it's a terrific standalone tale that beautifully sets up the series' premise.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Oh, I'll definitely read it! I read every inch of every comic I get--letters pages, editorial pages, house ads, etc. I'm just about to start my run of TWD from #25-present, which should probably only take me a few days so I'll definitely check out Chew. I wasn't aware it was #1 which is even better.

From what I understand it's doing fabulous sales-wise for an independent title (like 15,000+ monthly on the direct market), likely because of that Walking Dead 'back-up/reprint'. I hope they do that more with some more great comics (ipso facto, I hope there are more great new comics forthcoming).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

The next issue of TWD, they did the same thing with the first issue of Viking. I was already reading that one, though. Viking's getting better each issue, but Chew is way superior.

Anyhow, Des, what I'm suggesting is that you read the free Chew-in-the-back nowish instead of waiting to get to that issue in your TWD progression. As much as I'm dying to hear your thoughts on TWD as you go along, I'm even MORE curious to get your opinions on Chew! [Yes]

--------------------

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Can'tcha just read Chew without spoiling TWD, Des? Can'tcha?? [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

(psst--Pov! Ya think he's readin' it right now?) [Hmmm?]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     

...wow.

Well shit Lardy, that was pretty damn awesome! I'm actually thrilled you got me to notice this series and then 'pushed me' to read the Chew #1 reprint in Walking Dead rather than waiting. And I'm thrilled as all hell Image included this B&W reprint with another title.

Because that was really, REALLY good! Not just 'pretty good'. I'm talking good enough to make me want to buy some more. Interesting premise, interesting lead, witty banter but taking itself seriously. And just completely unique.

I will definitely try to get some more issues. But the question now is: what issue is it on now? How hard is it to find back issues? I guess it might be possible for me to try to back track to #1? If not, I could always wait for the trade.

But yeah, Image has done it again--they are certainly on a role with quirky, original series these days. Chew may have just made it onto my pull list.

Just like Unwritten by Vertigo, Chew #1 is one of the best opening issues I've read in quite awhile.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Glad you liked it, Des--shows you've got taste after all! [Big Grin]

To answer your question, Chew came out with issue 7 last month. You can look around online for individual issues, but there's always the trade for issues 1-5 (mentioned above which only costs $9.99). I bought that when it came out in November (after having read the free issue 1) and have started picking it up with issue 6 individually. I suspect the earliest issues will be expensive, but there were 2nd and 3rd printings. I'm pretty sure that if you buy the trade that 6 and 7 will be pretty easy to find and get at cover price. I think you'll find it'll be hard to trade-wait once you're caught up!

I didn't mention the art initially, but it's a really, really good complement to the story. It's on the cartoony side, but very expressive and story appropriate. I LOVE it!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The art was something that made me pause originally but after a few pages I noticed that not only did I get used to it quickly, it lended itself so well to the story that I was enjoying it.

I think I'll probably get the first trade and dig in with #6, going individually from there. So I'll be back in the next few weeks with some updated reviews...

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Sounds like a good plan, Des. I think you'll like how much deeper and expansive the story gets. Just when you think you know the status quo--BAM!

I wonder if Dev, Lash or anyone else who picks up TWD monthly read the Chew free issue. What's up?

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the first issue that was in TWD. I just have such limited monies for entertainment...no can do at this point.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Understood, Dev. But can you share more of what you liked about Chew for those who'd like to make an informed decision on whether to try it? I, for one, always like as many points of view as possible when making that kind of decision.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just reread it. I really liked the whole thing with the Black Market Chicken thing. It's seems absurd, but then again...it doesn't. The dialog was snappy, not overly wordy, but enough to give you what you needed.

Honestly, it felt like issue 8 or 10 of a series that I have already been reading. One of those "great jumping on point" issues. I liked the characters and got a feel for them immediately. There was obviously things happening behind the scenes before the issue happened for the characters. Some of it comes to play immediately...such as the thing with Savoy. They have obviously been working something on Chu for a while...and used the events in this issue to verify and make their move.

The art is edging toward cartoony, but it works for the book...especially considering what Chu had to do to get the info near the end of the book.

You get a feeling that Chu hates what he can do, but does it because it's the right thing to do...he's a good guy (cop) and needs to do what he has to.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.