Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Chew: The one title EVERYONE here should try! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Chew: The one title EVERYONE here should try!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So in addition to the awesome humor, the exciting art and the crazy-cool premise, I'm enjoying the larger story that Layman and Guillory are developing, and I'm curious as hell as to where they are taking the series. We're about 1/4 of the way through and if anyone is on the brink of adding this series, I HIGHLY recommend jumping in right now.

I'm loving Savoy as a character and his reappearance has really upped the ante in tension and intrigue.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I have got to catch up reading this...amongst others.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! Issue 15 was frickin' OUTSTANDING!!! It was pretty much nothing but a chance to meet Tony's large family on the occasion of Thanksgiving dinner but was a tour de force of comedy and entertainment! Terrific gatefold cover in "Last Supper" style, a revelation or two and at least one WTF moment! What a great, great series! I hope Layman allows us more time to meet the entire family.

Word to the wise: Never read thru an issue of Chew too quickly! Artist Rob Guillory fills the background with tons of messages and sight gags. My favorite from this issue was from newspaper clippings framed on the Chu family wall:

"Toni Chu wins spelling bee!"
"Chow Chu Hit Show!"
"Tony Chu Eats a Dude."

[LOL]

Anyone who posts a review of an issue in the future simply MUST post what their favorite background was in same! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^You weren't kidding! #15 was absolutely excellent, and every panel was simply hilarious.

Love, love, love the comedy from panel 1 all the way to the end. Every panel was dripping with it, and like you say, the backgrounds were awesome. I'm going to have to reread now to see what I missed (since I didn't see those newpaper clippings) and then tell you what I thought was the best. I loved the panel where Tony's boss is waiting for Tony's partner to join him for Thanksgiving--complete with candle dripping last bits of wax to showcase how long he's been waiting, and a radio with "smooth listening" on the background. [LOL]

Tony's sister Toni is suddenly a fast favorite. She's awesome!

Olive was a major shocker!

The twist at the end seems ready to take the series to the next level.

I also just love the evil smirk Chow Chu has on throughout the whole dinner.

Just in time for the end of the year, Chew #15 may just have been the funniest comic book of 2010!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Chew #16 kicks off the next phase of Chew (as we know it ends with #60) and I couldn’t help but feel things were moving into high gear as some of the larger mysteries presented at the end of the last arc are ever-present and the story is slowly bringing us some resolution and answers. Meanwhile, it’s fun as hell to sit back and enjoy the ride as each issue continues to deliver hilarious and surprising moments where I can’t help but smile, laugh or yell “holy shit!”.

The opening sequence showcasing how chicken-related fast food joints have changed over the years, complete with post-Avian Flu disaster sequences, was fantastic. Jonathan Layman and Rob Guillory really deliver on scenes that help the larger picture but awesomely stand on their own! Guillory’s humor was also full-on when he had the morbidly obese FDA agent later in the series, which was over the top and hilarious (and also disgustingly terrifying).

I also really like Tony’s sister Toni! I hope we see more of her. Her personality is just really cute, and she adds a little something extra to the series.

This title is firing on all cylinders. It’s still early enough too for people who haven’t joined in on the fun yet to do so!

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally caught up reading through issue #15. GOD! This book is all kinds of awesome!

Chu's family could have a book of their own, great stuff. The banter between the characters is superb. The manic speech pattern of his sister is great...and the last page...WTF!

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
WOW... I was wondering what the stuff with the observatory and Altilis-738 waaaay back in #4 was all about...looks like that plotpoint is being thrown front and center! The third trade (#'s 10-15) RAWKED! [Yes]

As an added plus, we got Layman's take on the "Last Supper" cover, with Guillory's original layout... cool! [Cool]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
At this point, anyone who hasn't gotten aboard the Chew bandwagon has no excuse! They are truly missing out on one of the best series around. It's hilarious and suspenseful and has one of the best lead characters in comics.

The latest arc, Flambé, has finished up with a great cliffhanger, bringing a character we've all wanted to see more of to the forefront. I'm definitely anxious to see her interacting and having some agency in the title.

The humor aspect has only gotten sharper. Sure, there are the 'on the nose' aspects of it (equally hilarious) but at any given panel there is a subtle joke that will immediately get you smiling or laughing out loud.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
After initially being pissed by issue 20 having no less than 8 consecutive pages filled with 4 double-paged wordless splashes, I was pleased that Layman and Guillory really made the rest of the issue toally rock! The plot thickens with Chu and Colby staking out a cult that is based on the mysterious, now vanished sky-writing. Meanwhile, Mason Savoy is making some moves after a particularly momentous reading he gets off some blood.

It really feels like a lot is coming together in this arc. But it's still a fun read with some delightful art throughout even as the mythology starts to connect some dots. Guillory's art is just FILLED with sight gags in the background and with running jokes like Chu's boss Applebee's slimy armpits! Guillory even puts a framed headline on the wall that says "Applebee awarded for greatest armpits"! [LOL]

I'm still not crazy bout the splashes as three of the images are basically the same thing with minor diffrences. But I get that the purpose was to show the breadth and importance of Savoy's revelation. It was all pretty vague, though.

Chew is perhaps the quirkiest, most genre-bending and humorous book on the stands. I just can't recommend the book enough to anyone who craves a book that will consistently entertain, enthrall and engage them!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Dang, Lardy, what are they paying you to push this book?

;-)

This message board has already started me reading Daredevil, checking out Fables (I just bought #1-5 this evening), and buying a whole bunch of DCnU titles I wouldn't have considered otherwise. Now I have to go look at CHEW. We need to change this place's name to Comics Crackhouse.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
Dang, Lardy, what are they paying you to push this book?

;-)

This message board has already started me reading Daredevil, checking out Fables (I just bought #1-5 this evening), and buying a whole bunch of DCnU titles I wouldn't have considered otherwise. Now I have to go look at CHEW. We need to change this place's name to Comics Crackhouse.

[LOL]

Honestly, the books I push hardest here are the ones I really, REALLY feel strongly about! And mostly, those are the books that are above being just the same-old-shit superhero books. Superheroes are in my blood, but what's keeping me a fan of comics, above all else, are non-superhero, creator-owned "other" genre books. I'm buying and enjoying Waid's Daredevil like you and others here, but it's not something I'd ever hold up as the best the medium has to offer. If it gets to that point, comics (or my patronage of them, at least) would be in trouble, IMO.

<steps off soapbox>

But seriously, no one I know who's tried Chew has given me anything other than glowing positive feedback on my recommendation of it. I helped get Cobie, Dev, Pov and possibly Eryk to try and then get addicted to this book! Hell, my wife loves it, too!

One of the very best effin' books on the market, and still $2.99 and often has 22+ pages! Try it! The first TPB's only $10!

--------------------

Legion Tracker
Veteran

quote:
I helped get Cobie, Dev, Pov and possibly Eryk to try and then get addicted to this book! Hell, my wife loves it, too!

One of the very best effin' books on the market, and still $2.99 and often has 22+ pages! Try it! The first TPB's only $10!

See? Crackhouse.

Seriously, Lardy, I've purposely ignored the non-super-hero books on the shop racks because (1) I haven't wanted to enlarge my addiction and (2) I couldn't tell which ones were really worth reading. You and Cobie and others here offer such insightful and trustworthy reviews, though, that I'm enticed to invest my money and time. Like you, I'm still the superhero geek, but I'm looking for work with more literary and artistic value outside the bounds of the "super" genre.

If this addiction gets out of control, though, I'll have to rat you out.

;-)

--------------------

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:

If this addiction gets out of control, though, I'll have to rat you out.

;-)

They'll NEVER take me alive!!! [Razz]

--------------------

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Okay, Lardy, I bought Volume One today.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Can't WAIT to read what ya think, LT!

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.