Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews! (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20   
Author Topic: EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Samachson and Kane’s “The Balloons that Lifted a City!” is a kind of odd story of a scientist who accidentally discovers an anti-gravity material in his lab. Unfortunately, while he lets go of the flask containing it, it flies out the window! Discovering that the factory from which the chemicals came had shipped their entire supply of the chemicals needed to make the formula to a balloon supply company, and the balloons were subsequently sold to a carnival, the scientist sets about collecting all the carnival balloons he can! Hopefully he can collect enough anti-gravity chemicals in time, because the city is about to be destroyed by a tsunami!

I dunno. I thought this was one of the goofier and less memorable tales in the book.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

By contrast, Samachson and Greene’s “The Game of Science!” was goofy but definitely memorable! In this story, Dr. Mark Carwell, director of a scientific laboratory, discovers that the lab’s new invention has been stolen by their secretary, Mr. Kenton! The story basically concerns Carwell chasing Kenton around the country-side, while at the same time watching children play games at key points in the chase and using those games as an inspiration to help him catch Kenton! So, watching two boys play tag, and one crawl through a pipe that the other one is too big to fit through, only to be caught on the other side by the smart “it” who runs around the pipe to the other side instead of crawling through inspires Carwell to avoid Kenton’s trick of blocking the entrance to a cave he enters by going around the hillside to find the back entrance to the cave through which Kenton is planning on escaping. And that’s the basic premise of the story.

This story definitely seemed to me like they were up against a deadline, waiting to see if any Martians might walk in and give them a story, and just threw together this kind of half-baked idea to fill space. I suppose, though, maybe the idea was that it would appeal to the kids who were the targeted audience of the magazine? I guess there’s even a deeper message that the games children play actually serve as good training for the kind of situations you will find yourself in as an adult? Er… if you make a habit of chasing criminal thieves who steal secret inventions from your laboratory, that is!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I'll get back to Strange Adventures soon, but first a quick comment about Batgirl:

Sheesh! Talk about a character that they can't quite decide what to do with!

First she's a mousy, "plain Jane" librarian who becomes Batgirl for the adrenaline rush.

Then she get a makeover to become super-hot librarian chick and Gotham socialite, who seems to have no problem getting dates.

Then they ship her out of her series and off to DC to become a congresswoman, and date Clark Kent! [Eek!]

Eryk Davis Ester

Currently reading Adam Strange!

Wow! I had no idea it was going to be this awesome! Love Rann as a setting! Love the fact that they even joke about the fact that some crazy menace just happens to appear everytime Adam travels to the planet!

Eryk Davis Ester

EDE's groovy new acquisition:

Showcase Presents Young Love, Vol. 1

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Almost picked up the Adam Strange one. If it's there the next time I have money...maybe I will.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers! Just read the first story from "The Private Diary of Mary Robbin, R.N."!

On her first day as a nurse, she get taken out and kissed by this doctor, who later turns out to be a total manwhore! She also gets kissed by a patient right as his girlfriend walks in, and then has to reunite them! There's crazy romantic tension all over the place!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I take it your new sig is from that no-doubt timeless tale?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yep!

Other groovy things from Young Love #39:

A story about a Texas heiress coming home after three years in Europe to try and re-unite with her foster brother/guardian whom she's always loved! Also featuring Texas-style fist fights and people being pushed into pools!

Then there's the story of this poor girl who's lost her boyfriend to her dumb but beautiful best friend and has to suffer as the bridesmaid at their wedding! She's haunted by memories of their great times together when they used to climb mountains and perform experiments in his chemical lab and stuff! Fortunately, a car accident caused by his inept driving presents the opportunity for her to prove herself as the one who really loves him!

Eryk Davis Ester

*Gasp!* I haven't actually read any more of YL Showcase, but today I got in the mail none other than SP: All-Star Squadron!

Must read!

KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm expecting Showcase Presents: The Losers to come in the mail either today or tomorrow.

And coming out next week is Showcase Presents: The Spectre!

(I would have gotten the All Star Squadron one, but I own the originals)

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I have about half the issues, but haven't read them in probably about twenty-five years.

Anyway, read the first arc tonight. Not bad, but the fairly convoluted use of time travel to use cool villains that wouldn't actually appear for several more years definitely seemed more forced than it did when I was a kid and was just wowed by the raw number of cool old heroes and villains I'd never seen before.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree the time travel elements are forced, but within the context of Roy Thomas' career -- he had spent the previous several years going through the motions at Marvel, and was finally getting a chance to work on the characters that got him into comics in the first place -- it has a certain joyful energy that I think compensates for its flaws.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The stories definitely show an excitement and enthusiasm for the characters that's missing from a lot of today's comics. And there's just so much story packed into them... no wonder I read these things over and over as a kid. Even granted the fact that each issue is about 20% longer than most modern comics, there's just so much grooviness on each page!

Anyway, I read #4-6 yesterday, which gives us the Holy Grail excuse for why A-SS doesn't attack Japan, and the A-SS traveling to Mexico to prevent an uprising of mind-controlled pureblood Mayans from seizing control of Mexico and allying with the Nazis, a plotline that also doesn't hold up as well now as it did when I was a kid, but is nonetheless fun.

Eryk Davis Ester

Read #7-9, all about Churchill's trip to he U.S. and Baron Blitzkrieg's attempts to assassinate him and Roosevelt. Now this is prime stuff! A beautiful blending of history, obscure bits of continuity and dynamic super-hero action! Love it completely!
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.