Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » E2 Alan Scott is the ex-straight "iconic male" DC character to be rebooted gay (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: E2 Alan Scott is the ex-straight "iconic male" DC character to be rebooted gay
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Shining son:

quote:
Which political trends would those be? Seems to me in the last decade it's been far more likely to be accused of doing so than I recall it actually being done.
You haven't noticed a trend toward greater equal rights for gay people and legitimate marriage for gay couples in most political arenas in the western world?
It is one thing that there is more support for gay rights in the western world and another to have the embodiment of America be gay. I mean some people still have a problem seeing anyone who isn't white as an American.

And I would see the embodiment of the American spirit as not having any particular sexual orientation but emcompassing all sexual orientations.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
What about the Hawkman, or even Hawkgirl of Earth 2. That would certainly create a new wrinkle in the whole Hawkman / Hawkgirl thing.

Just a thought, as she is being reintroduced soon.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if they are planning a Hawkman for Earth 2. I think that the popularity of a Hawkman-less Hawkgirl on the Justice League cartoon may mean no Earth 2 Hawkman. We do know the gay character is male, so that rules out Hawkgirl.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe they'll merge two Golden Age characters: The Spectre and the Gay Ghost. [Smile]

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
CMK, Quis beat me to it. My comment was indeed responding to your exact statement, not what was perhaps your more generalized meaning.

I don't recall any such symbol portrayed as gay, with the possible exception of Rawhide Kid, who as a cowboy could reasonably fit as representational of the American spirit.

But certain insane elements of society have claimed several characters as secretly gay, if not all American, such as Tinky-Winky the Teletubbie just for being purple and carrying a magic bag that looks like a purse.

And of course it happened decades ago too, with Dr. Wertham accusing Batman of pederasty.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Dr. Wrentham was right!

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=32&Itemid=50&limitstart=67

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=32&Itemid=50&limitstart=70

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=32&Itemid=50&limitstart=72

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
I don't know if they are planning a Hawkman for Earth 2. I think that the popularity of a Hawkman-less Hawkgirl on the Justice League cartoon may mean no Earth 2 Hawkman. We do know the gay character is male, so that rules out Hawkgirl.

Yeah, forgot about the male thing.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Dr. Wrentham was right!

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=32&Itemid=50&limitstart=67

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=32&Itemid=50&limitstart=70

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=32&Itemid=50&limitstart=72

If he was really Doc "Wrentham," it would help explain his fascination with flying creatures.

Also, on the left of that last link there's an ad for "Quilting Queens" or something. You've gotta' love the internet...

[Rainbow Girl]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
d a r k s i d e LIVES!!!!!!

[Sprock That!] [Ambush Bug] [Robin - Tim Drake] [Smash] [Arm-Fall-Off-Boy] [Alloy 12] [Darkseid]

[Happy Birthday!]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
More and more, it's looking like Alan Scott. And from the get-go, a lot of people (like Quis) were guessing he'd be the one. Make me wonder:

- why was he the first to come to mind? I ask that because A LOT of people guessed Alan Scott. Is it because Obsidion no longer exists, therefore DC lost a well known gay character, and therefore having his father assume that role fits?

- when can we start joking about his weakness to wood? [Big Grin] [Razz]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid: - when can we start joking about his weakness to wood? [Big Grin] [Razz]
Oh, it's never too soon!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
- why was he the first to come to mind?

Because, as the E2 GL rather than one of the main guys, he's not in the main [real] DCU, and so is "safe" just like how Marvel feel able to have a black Spider-Man in the zombie-like Ultimate U?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
But certain insane elements of society have claimed several characters as secretly gay, if not all American, such as Tinky-Winky the Teletubbie just for being purple and carrying a magic bag that looks like a purse
Yes, and how are those elements of society regarded these days?

And especially amongst comics creators, who have hitched themselves to the gay-rights bandwagon en masse for years already?

I think that these creators would see civil rights as an American value, and a gay man, gays being the currently trendy civil-rights cause, as the ultimate expression of that value.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
This thread has jumped the shark

Are you saying it will be our own Sharklad who will be revealed to be gay?
I do hope there is no S&M storyline involving Roy Scheider.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
But certain insane elements of society have claimed several characters as secretly gay, if not all American, such as Tinky-Winky the Teletubbie just for being purple and carrying a magic bag that looks like a purse
Yes, and how are those elements of society regarded these days?.
As way too normal by a certain voter base and specific radio assholes, from what I see.

It sounds as if you're intimating that they've viewed as loons, but I see way too many voices in agreement with the loons. And not enough voices pointing out the lunacy. The Birthers are still going at it, and even Senators are still outspoken among them, so if you're trying to imply America is in any way more rational than before, we'll just have to agree to disagree and leave the politics out of this thread. (Oops, too late.) Things may be hopeful statistically, but there's still way too many squeaky wheels for DC to do these things casually and without great deliberation over expected benefit vs fallout.

quote:
And especially amongst comics creators, who have hitched themselves to the gay-rights bandwagon en masse for years already?

I think that these creators would see civil rights as an American value, and a gay man, gays being the currently trendy civil-rights cause, as the ultimate expression of that value.

There's a big difference between how the creators see values and how much backlash the publisher is willing to deal with. Making a seriously popular hero (aka a valuable property) gay is a financial risk and this is a business, first and foremost, so I don't think their values have the last word.

(There's also some pretty rabidly antigay creators out there, who fortunately also don't get to toss their values into stories willy nilly.)

I just don't see DC making, say, Superman gay unless they simultaneously HAMMER HOME WITH GREAT EMPHASIS that this is but ONE Superman on MANY MANY EARTHS, and even then they'd be dealing with the Million Moms.

If DC wants to take that stand, bless them. But I'll believe it when I see it.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.