Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The Old Movie Thread

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Old Movie Thread
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
A.K.A. - "That One Movie Whose Name You Can't Remember and It Drives You Insane" Thread

Hey guys! So, this is a new thread I've decided to start, which is meant to be a place where people can talk about old movies, and where they can help other members search for movies that they've seen before but are having difficulty locating because they can't remember certain details, like the title.

This one movie I'm having trouble finding was on Turner Classic Movies network a few weeks ago. Black and white, I believe it took place in turn of the century America. It concerned a lawyer and two of his daughters. He expects one of them to be a painter, and the other to be a pianist, because he wants a painter and a pianist in the family.

I think the painter wants to sing, and the pianist wants to be a lawyer.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... that's not ringing a bell.

Here's the full October listings for TCM:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2011-10-01

From your description and the timeframe, I'd suggest maybe one of the films on October 10th, as there seemed to be a sort of "Father/Daughter" theme going on that day.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, there was one other detail.

The father hires a young, new lawyer to help defend a black man.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

The Vanishing Virginian! That was it.

The daughter he wants to be a painter really wants to be a writer.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Exnihil

OK, in keeping with Sarky's intent for this thread, I have a memory of one scene of a movie I saw when I was a kid, but I have no idea what the movie is.

This would have been a mid-eighties film that I think used to be in heavy rotation of HBO. I have no idea what the main plot is, but I have a feeling it was one of those "two people from diverse backgrounds form a friendship" things.

Anyway, the scene is between an old lady living in an urban apartment building and a young African American boy. She has been through some sort of traumatic experience and has installed a bunch of additional locks on her door. In the scene, the young boy shows her how ineffective the locks are by standing outside the apartment and picking them all in like a minute as she watches in horror.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I have no idea, Ex. Here are a couple of scenes I remember from old movies or maybe even TV shows.

1) A guy puts a gun in his mouth, while a female watches in horror. He then says, "Whatsamatter? You don't like licorice?" as he bites into the gun.

2) This is a variation of the pit and the pendulum. Anyway, there is a sharp pendulum swinging, getting lower with each oscillation. It has a crescent blade on the bottom. A man is tied up beneath the blade, while a fat guard watches. At the last moment, the man rolls over, the blade severs his bonds, and he then pushes the fat man into the blade and escapes.

Anyone?

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

So after a tricky IMDB search (turns out I had both the year and the network wrong) I figured out that the scene I remembered was from a 1980 made-for-TV CBS movie starring Bette Davis, with the unfortunate title of "White Mama".

I looked it up on Youtube and, sure enough, that movie has the scene I was describing, but I didn’t seem to have much recollection of the rest of the movie. The weird thing (that is to say… the weirder thing) is that it apparently it ran in March of 1980, on a Wednesday, from 9-11 at night. That would mean that my parents let a six year old stay up that late (on a school-night) to watch a Bette Davis movie about urban squalor? I'm not buying it.

Here’s what I think must have happened: It turns out that Bette Davis was actually nominated for an Emmy for this movie, the same year that Patty Duke and Melissa Gilbert were nominated in the same category for "The Miracle Worker". I used to be nuts about "Little House on the Prairie" as a little kid, and I think I probably convinced my parents to let me watch the Emmys that year to see Melissa Gilbert. I betting that when that award came up, the clip they must have used for "White Mama" was the one I remembered.

And nearly thirty-two years later, I'm still remembering it. Memory is such a strange thing.

Speaking of "Little House on the Prairie"...

Lance, the licorice-gun thing that you are describing above is also from that show. It was Willie Olson who ate the gun during a strange turn of events where the town was trying to run off some bandits.

--------------------

lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Really? Hmmm...I coulda sworn the guy was wearing a 3-piece suit. I don't suppose you have any idea which episode this is, do ya?
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

It's from an episode called, "The Legend of Black Jake".

But...

When I just googled the phrase "licorice gun," I came up with this movie clip (which, now that you add the suit thing, is almost certainly more likely what you're looking for) :

Adam's Rib

--------------------

lancesrealm
amiable

That's it! Thanks Ex!
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Oh! I saw that episode!

Two bumbling crooks take Nels Olsen hostage, and he decides to play along with it by pretending to be their leader, because his wife refused to pay the ransom they were demanding. And pretty soon everyone's getting tied up.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember this movie where they are on an island and it had some of the trappings of 'Voodoo': curses using poppets, zombies that followed the orders of the lead bad guy. Then a couple of people escape from the island on aboat right at the end only to find that the mainland is over run with more typical 'Night of the Living Dead' type zombies. Any ideas?
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I believe you're thinking of Zombi 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombi_2

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that's it!
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I've never seen the Zombi movies, but the theme from the trailer for Zombi 3 carves into your head it's so cheesy and good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKnSKyyn5cc

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.