Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
For my money, John Wetton pretty much defines "smexy" in this classic video from Family, a band I might never have gotten around to listening to, if it weren't for the magic of Youtube!

Quite a find, Eryk! I'd never heard Wetton's work with Family before. (Loved the xylophone!)
I also found where someone had uploaded Mogul Thrash's album, featuring Wetton and what would eventually become the brass section of the Average White Band.

Anyway, here's Wetton's future Asia-bandmate Steve Howe at only seventeen!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a great remake of the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49doPwp0bc&feature=related

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Great stuff, Eryk and Rick.

Here's another '70s classic.

The Ozark Mountain Daredevils were from my home state, Missouri. In 1985, I actually took a class with the ex-wife of one of the later band members.

This song always puts me in the mind of a particular girl I knew when I was growing up. Her name wasn't Jackie, but it was close.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of Ozark Mountain Daredevils, I hadn't heard this song in 35 years, but it's as funny as I remembered it!

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, great thread! I've never seen it before. I need to give this thread the listening to it deserves when I get the chance (aka: when I'm not at work and people will look into my office funny).
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Glad you like it Cobie. I've found some great new stuff here and been reminded of some great old stuff as well.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

One of my favorite songs of the '70s is this catchy ditty from 1974.

Redbone was a band of Native Americans led by brothers Pat and Lolly Vasquez (a.k.a. Vegas). Pat plays the bass, and Lolly is the guitarist and lead singer on this song.

I was saddened to learn of Lolly's recent passing on March 4, 2010.

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Thats a great one, He Who.

I still love this one. Abc even used it as their promo music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbH_sDyWZqo&feature=related

--------------------

Something pithy!

rickshaw1
Leader

This was a dirty little sexy thang from the seventies that I loved as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4cZ_CV3Xw&feature=related

--------------------

Something pithy!

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I loved Orleans, Rick! I was going to post one of their later hits, "Love Takes Time," but I couldn't find a video I liked.

Instead, here's an altogether different band. Bachman Turner Overdrive was led by former Guess Who guitarist Randy Bachman and featured bassist C. Fred Turner on vocals. Though this concert was filmed in 1988, it captures the early '70s glory of the band. I love the guitar in this song.

[ March 22, 2010, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Alice Stuart in 1971, singing and playing electric:

"Freedom's the Sound," from 1971's Full Time Woman.

Stuart is still actively playing, just one state up from me. The last time she was scheduled to come to town, the roads were closed from a flood. [Mad] But I vow to see her live-- someday!

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
This was a dirty little sexy thang from the seventies that I loved as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4cZ_CV3Xw&feature=related

I loved this song, too! It took me years to figure out the lyrics. I finally found them on the Internet about 15 years ago ("Just a 5'9", beautiful, tall . . .").

True story: The Hollies were formed by lead singer Alan Clarke and rhythm guitarist Graham Nash, although the latter had departed in '68 to form Crosby Stills & Nash. Clarke left the group around '71 and was replaced by Swedish singer Michael Rickfors, but when "Long Cool Woman" became an unexpected hit, Clarke rejoined the group and Rickfors was dispatched from whence he came.

--------------------

Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
What a cool thread. I haven't heard some of these songs since I was a little kid... thanks for remedying that.

Let me make my own contribution from 1970, with former Animals front-man, Eric Burdon, leading the funk band, War in the coolest version of Spill the Wine ever.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

That's fantastic! I [Love] Eric Burdon!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Continuing on my "early appearances by members of Asia" theme, here's a very young Carl Palmer playing with The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.