Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Random childhood memories (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Random childhood memories
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
When I was old enough to stay at home by myself I knocked a knicknack off the wall trying to do a handstand. It broke but I told my parents it fell off the wall because they were blasting over at the rock quarry, which did in fact shake the house from time to time. Just not that day.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The recent death of author Russell Hoban has triggered a ton of memories about his books for children about Frances the hedgehog.

This one was my favorite:

-

I first read it in fourth grade, a particularly tough year, what with my school moving to a new, hideous campus out in the sticks, my parents going through a difficult phase of their marriage, and my grandparents divorcing.

I was an only child, spoiled and selfish, and this book, in which Frances is tempted to eat the Chompo bar she bought for her little sister as a birthday present, but in the end does the right thing, taught me an important lesson without talking down to me or preaching.

I'm feeling very wistful right now...

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
My mother took my sister and I to the public library each week when we were children. She would read the books we checked out to us each night. I have a very vivid memory of crying when Frances was scolded by her mother in "Bread and Jam for Frances". Mom wiped my tears and told me that Frances's mother wouldn't stay mad and really loved her.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for sharing that, Jerry. I'm glad there's at least one other Legion Worlder who remembers the Frances books.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
When I was about 13 or so, I was alone all day during the summer while my parents were at work. One day I rode up to the Library and got out a sound effects LP.

I spent the next several hours practicing getting the spots on the record right for my master plan.

That afternoon, my father got home and went into our den to watch television...my plan went into effect.

I started with the sound of a motorcycle revving it's engine and squawking it's tires, then hit a good motor roaring sound, followed by screeching tires and a crashing sound.

My dad came tearing out of the den and looked out the front door for the accident...which was about to happen as he turned and saw me laughing hysterically on the ground by the record player.

After a brief chase...thankfully I was always faster than my dad, he was impressed by the amount of effort it took to get the three sounds down seamlessly on the record.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of the Frances books (they were big favorites in our house back in the day), and plastic tea sets...

I remember that when I was five or six years old, we lived on a street in suburban N.J. called Whalepond Road. Our neighbors were the Manzos, of Italian-Roman Catholic stock. Their twin daughters were around my seven-year-old sister's age. A few days before Xmas, they brought Jenn and me a big gift-wrapped box: It was a very detailed plastic tea set. They told us that Santa had stopped by their place early and said it was a gift for their friends.

In retrospect, I guess that was an awkward moment for my folks, who taught us that there was nothing wrong with not having a tree and the other trappings of the Christian holiday, but we were thrilled at the though that Santa remembered US!

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I used to go walking late at night, because I barely ever slept as a teen, sneaking out of the house after midnight, wandering around town and sneaking back in around 4 or 5 AM.

I remember one winter, out for a walk, and it started snowing, just a little bit, and I stood there, looking up, at the snowflakes coming down towards me (lit by the streetlights) and imagined that I was flying through hyperspace, and the snowflakes were stars streaking past. I must have stood there, arms outstretched, imagining that I was flying through space, for a half hour.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember once, when I was about six or so, I got the idea in my head that I hated my real name and I was going to change it to... wait for it... "Jackie".

I have no memory of why I thought that was a cool name. I think I would have been too young to know of Jackie Gleason or Jackie Cooper... maybe I was a big fan of Jackie Jokers from Richie Rich... but in any case, I remember writing "Jackie" on the first page of all my books.

It passed after about a month or so but, man, what a strange kid.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
I remember once, when I was about six or so, I got the idea in my head that I hated my real name and I was going to change it to... wait for it... "Jackie".

I have no memory of why I thought that was a cool name. I think I would have been too young to know of Jackie Gleason or Jackie Cooper... maybe I was a big fan of Jackie Jokers from Richie Rich... but in any case, I remember writing "Jackie" on the first page of all my books.

It passed after about a month or so but, man, what a strange kid.

So...you're saying the strangeness passed, or just being wanted to be called Jackie?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Well... I guess the strangeness "passed" in the sense of a car passing me on the road... that is to say, it blew by me and I've been traveling in its wake ever since. [Smile]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Exnihil, the plastic bag on the highway of life, buffeted by passing cars only to get stuck in a ditch.

*Hopefully, that ain't true, but I liked the imagery. "sometimes, I get facinated by a plastic bag blowing in the wind, and then, there's a chick, and someone shots someone an.... on , no, wait, that was some crappy chick flick." [Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Focus on the little plastic bag, Rick....

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Ketchup. I put it on most everything - bacon, ham, cheese, meatballs, french fries, chicken, potato chips, bread, crackers...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.