Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion in JLU Cartoon/Legion Series...Official Thread (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  39  40  41   
Author Topic: Legion in JLU Cartoon/Legion Series...Official Thread
Klordny
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klordny   Author's Homepage   Email Klordny         Edit/Delete Post     
Just FYI, Bruce Timm has said this drawing (from James Tucker) is an early preliminary concept drawing, not the final version of what they'll look like. Apparently it'll be Timm-ier than this but not exactly what we saw/will see in the JLU episode.
Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Infectious Drura
long live the lesions

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infectious Drura   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Opiniated as ever, I have another thing to say about the cartoony style of artwork that seems beloved by the recent DC-related cartoons, that relates to what I said earlier about the possible LSH cartoon artwork.

I saw an episode of JLU, and I was irked by the excessive 'wasp waists' of the women. Yes, it even offended me a little. I don't expect the artists to slavishly adhere to reality. Yes it is stylized. Yes, the artists could draw totally accurate anatomy if they had to (unlike Rob Liefield and the godawful early 90s 'bad girl' artists.)

But-just as the perfectly spherical basketball breasts of the badly drawn, sword wielding blood spattered bad girls irked me because-women's bodies don't look like that dammit!-

The wasp waists of the JLU women irked me for the same reason.

Women's. Bodies.Do.Not.Look.Like.That.

I am a woman. My waist is more than 1 millimetre wide. Even cartoon women should look like they have room for internal organs.

So yeah, I probably am taking it far too seriously. And no, real men don't look like steroid packed muscle creatures either. But dammit, it irks me.

Personally I just don't like cartoony stylized anatomy. And that is that. But misrepresentation of women's bodies irks me greatly. There's enough body- facism about women's bodies as there is. Kids' cartoons don't need to add to it.

Death to wasp waists I say! No wasps waists for the Legion! Even Shrinking Violet has kidneys...

--------------------
Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!

From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayniac5
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayniac5   Author's Homepage   Email wayniac5         Edit/Delete Post     
Wasp waists and otehr insane female anatomical silliness are not just the private domain of bruce tim animation. Look at the ridiculous breasts of most female superheroines or there costumes. It's ridiculous.

I have a beautiful Jill Thompson Lightning lass that looks like a REAL woman. I'd love for Jill to do the LSH.

Barry is doing a fine job though as well.

--------------------
[img]http://www.nuvo.net/blog/wayneb/archives/popculture.jpg[/img]

CLICK to hear the Legion Techno Remix
http://www.nuvo.net/blog/wayneb/archives/008577.html

From: indianapolis | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
The Bruce Timm style women goes way back to Batman: TAS. Since they were invoking a 40's/50's feel to the show, that heavily influenced the way the women (and men) were drawn. Many of his women look like pin-ups from that era and it's entirely intentional.

I can understand that not everyone will like it but not every guy is built like Superman either....

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone intersted in a look at the working logo for the Legion series? No? Okay, I'll just go home. [Wink]

From Comics Continuum:

-

The article also spoke with Andy Milder, the voice of Lightning Lad and gave a list of Legionnaires we'll likely see. Click the link to the CC to read the full thing.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I understand that it's only a working logo.

But it's butt-ugly.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like it. It is simple, kind of harkens back to previous Legion logos without really being tied to one and the use of the "S" symbol keeps the word Superboy from taking over.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Boy
Lovin the Art!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Ultra Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Me likes it too. [Smile]

--------------------
UltraBoy

From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
My first impression echoes Matthew E's.
-heh-

Makes it look like the Legion is a Superboy spin-off doesn't it?

...waitaminute...

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I'm waaaay behind the times, but I finally saw Far From Home tonight. Mm, the joys of having an external harddrive!!

Anyway. I absolutely adored it. Sure, the romance was pushed a little (lot) hard but I didn't really feel like the story suffered for it. I actually liked Supergirl more in this episode than I have, like, ever before.

Overall, I thought the story was clever and fun. I really liked the Emerald Empress, in both design and voice acting. She was bad and it was good. [Yes]

The animation could've been a bit better, I agree, but I was just happy to see so many Legion cameos!! Even if some were in statue form... [Frown] That was a major bummer.

I wish Cosmic Boy could've had more of a role (shocking, I know) and was very disappointed to see so few actual members of the Legion. I'd love to see Lyle (not the 3boot version), Nura, Jan (not the reboot version), Vi, Ayla, Dirk, Dawnstar or Jeckie show up in the cartoon. Jenni too but I'm not really that deluded.

I agree with the nitpicks on Shadow Lass's powers-- the first time I watched it, I wasn't even sure it was her! Also, why wasn't Cham orange? Has he been grey before? It struck me as odd...

I'll be curious to see if Valor or Andromeda show up, since the new cartoon is apparently Superboy's Legion. And the origin stories and whatnot, too. I'm excited, though I hope the animation is more toward the Timm style too. Actually, I was thinking the Evolution style would be great for the Legion-- it worked really well for the X-Men. But that's just my two cents...

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You know, even though it is just a working logo, I actually like it.

It echo's the legions book and, from a non comic book fans point of view, the S symbol is so iconic that they are instantly going to recognize it and know who is involved. I think its a great "hook" to get fans watching

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the logo and was apparently so excited about it, I had a dream last night that I was watching TV and during the commercials, the logo pops on screen, except it was more a red version of a TMK era-ish logo, and there was a bar between the Legion and Super-Heroes part where it said, "Year of the Legion."

Then it went into the promo for the cartoon. The animation was pretty straightforward, not stylized at all, and everyone was in their Cockrum-Grell-Levitz costumes. I saw Tyroc, Wildfire, Dawnstar (she had some dialogue, and I remember thinking she sounded more Middle Eastern than Native American), Bouncing Boy (he had some dialogue, too, but I don't remember what he said either) and Brainiac 5. There were more, but I'm losing the image. At one point, they did a closeup on Dawnstar, she started chanting, and the star on her forhead glowed. I thought that was an interesting way to visualize her power. And then for some reason, the animation got really ugly.

Then the logo came back, only it had a blue band around it with a tab at the top that had the word "Atari," and their logo inside it, like we're getting a video game, too! That would so rock!

The last thing I remember in the dream is getting up and posting the following to this thread, "I may have fallen asleep watching TV and was dreaming, but I swear I just saw a promo for the Legion cartoon."

Isn't that weird? I only remember my dreams this well a quarter of the time, so I was glad I could wake up and share it with you before I totally forget it as the day progresses.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klordny
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klordny   Author's Homepage   Email Klordny         Edit/Delete Post     
Assuming that the Superman: The Animated Series is within the same continuity as JLU, we've already seen Saturn Girl, Chameleon Boy, and Cosmic Boy, with a cameo by a bunch more. See my Animated Legion Page for pictures.

Now, seeing as how that episode had the Legion in the upside-down rocket ship and the JLU episode had that as their old HQ, it's not unreasonable to assume that this episode was a few years in the future from that one. That would explain the costume changes and Brainiac 5's mullet.

Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hurrikane
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hurrikane   Email Hurrikane         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry this is late, I've been away, but as promised, here's Braniac 5(I know this is gonna get some reaction from everyone... [Wink]
 -

From: Ca | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Hurrikane.

You wonder why they even link the series to the comics at all when they try so hard to change everything.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.