Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » A Look Back: L.E.G.I.O.N. #1-55 (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: A Look Back: L.E.G.I.O.N. #1-55
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
L.E.G.I.O.N. '93 # 51 - "Desert Island Blues"

Main Cast: Telepath, Lobo

Credits: Alan Grant, writer - Enrique Alcatena, penciler and inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - "Digital Chameleon," colorist

Plot: On a barren asteroid, Telepath, Lobo, and their bulky, tusky prisoner are waiting for a mechanic because Lobo's space motorbike broke down.

Bored, Lobo intimidates the other two into telling him their life stories.

The prisoner was once a highly respected philosophy teacher on his home planet, until one day he snapped and tried to eat one of his students. When the other students caught them, he machine gunned them all. Then he hung a sign on his classroom door saying "Do Not Disturb - 3 Month Sensory Deprivation Experiment" and spent the whole time eating his dead students. He was caught and arrested. Lobo being Lobo, he finds this story a little tame.

Telepath is very reluctant to tell his life story, but Lobo gives him no choice.

Telepath's full name is 47 syllables long, Qi'qi for short. His telepathic, insect-like species cohabited peacefully with the only other form of life on their planet, giant mushrooms. But though they were a gentle people, they were also sexually repressed isolationists dominated by the queen of their hive.

Qi'qi was considered a radical, pushing for contact with other planets and even carrying on an affair with a female of his species, L'ol'a. When L'ol'a won the ritual tournament to see which female would be chosen as the queen's successor, they decided to escape from their planet, but had no means of transportation. Qi'qi began sending telepathic beacon signals to every spacecraft that passed by their planet. One day, a ship finally answered.

Unfortunately, the ship was that of Dagon-Ra and his band of pirates. They killed the entire hive, including L'ol'a, and forced Qi'qi to work for them. It wasn't until he betrayed Dagon-Ra to L.E.G.I.O.N. that he finally became free, but he still carries a burden of guilt for having unwillingly caused the death of his species.

Lobo being Lobo, he finds this hilarious. The prisoner starts laughing, too, which gets Lobo mad ("Nobody laughs at my buddy 'cept me, see?") and he beats the prisoner unconscious.

The repairmen finally arrive, but Lobo beats the head mechanic for not doing a good enough job last time, and beats his assistant for asking stupid questions. Now Lobo and Qi'qi have to wait until the mechanics wake up.

Thoughts: Alan Grant certainly has a darkly funny way of looking at life, though he also sees the tragedy and the rare bright moments. This helped him become one of the people who revitalized British comics (first as an editor on 2000 AD, and then as the same anthology's head writer.) When he did a lot of work for American publishers in the late 80s and early 90s, his sensibilities didn't always translate well - he did hundreds of Batman stories for DC, but only a handful were memorable, and he did little more than a few fill-in stories for Marvel. It was on L.E.G.I.O.N. that Grant really shined. No other American comic has ever carried that particular wild spirit that originated in 2000 AD across the oceans the way Grant's best work on L.E.G.I.O.N. did. Comics have evolved in the years since (whether it's been for better or worse is a whole other discussion) but L.E.G.I.O.N. is evergreen thanks largely to Grant. Without him, it would have been no more than a quickly forgotten LSH spinoff. So I think it's fitting that the last issue in my collection was written by Alan Grant on a one-issue stand-alone return visit to the book he made great. That it's drawn by the great Alcatena is the icing on the cake.

Not to take away from Barry Kitson, for giving the book a beautiful visual identity and helping Grant with the plots and keeping the book afloat after Grant's reluctant depature, or from Keith Giffen, without whose initial concept the book would have never existed. All three of them are to be thanked for giving comics readers something that was very special while it lasted.

[ September 18, 2005, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for all the great reviews, Stealth!

Like Harbinger I'll miss reading these every morning, but issues 50 & 51 were a good place to stop as the series kind of stagnated after this.

*eagerly looking forward to your next review thread at the Dr Gym'll board*

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by KidChaos:
Thanks for all the great reviews, Stealth!

Like Harbinger I'll miss reading these every morning, but issues 50 & 51 were a good place to stop as the series kind of stagnated after this.

*eagerly looking forward to your next review thread at the Dr Gym'll board*

Thank you, KC. I'm still trying to decide on which book to review on the Dr. Gym'll board, although I'm leaning towards the Alan Davis issues of Excalibur.

--------------------

armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
just the davis WRITTEN books, or all books drawn by davis?

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I've been asking myself the same question. I think the ones where he was both the writer and artist are the best ones by far. What I'll probably do is start by reviewing the Excalibur graphic novel, where the team is formed, and then jump to Davis's first writer/artist issue, # 42. His first story arc referenced just about every relevant plot thread that came before, so it should work out.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm looking forward to reading them Stealth, I don't know all that much about Excalibur so it'll be a real treat to learn.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally, I'd love you to review all of the Claremont issues, but I ain't gonna do it.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Whatta ya know? JIM FERN did this month's issue of JSA. Haven't seen any of his work in ages, and after reading all these reviews, he turns up again. Much better than his old stuff-- I think-- but still, not nearly as impressive as what one comes to expect of the current JSA series.
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I'll have a look when I go to the comic shop this weekend (IF the new JSA has actually arrived there on time.)

I still think Fern's work on Batman Annual # 15 is surprisingly good. I read that before I bought the L-20 back issues he drew. I couldn't believe those childish scrawls were by the same artist.

Then again, Steve Leailoha inked Batman Annual # 15. He probably added a lot that was lacking in Fern's pencils.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Stealth, thanks for two months of immensely enjoyable reviews [Smile]

I'm going to miss reading them each morning, but I look forward to your next review thread in Gym'll's!

Your reviews really captured the essence of the comic, taking into account the stories, the characters, the history of the DCU & comics, and the creators themselves--a rare look at a series and all of its components.

Cheers [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thank you, Cobie.

The next review thread will probably start the first weekend in November.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

[Bump]

Bumped because all the other big L.E.G.I.O.N. threads have been, and because someone has to stand up for Alan Grant!

--------------------

Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
[Bump]

Bumped because all the other big L.E.G.I.O.N. threads have been, and because someone has to stand up for Alan Grant!

You are right: he was an integral part of the team and he worked extremely well with Keith Giffen, not only here, but also in Lobo.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Yes, and he also wrote some great L.E.G.I.O.N. stories WITHOUT Giffen OR Kitson!

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Boy, I wish I'd seen this thread much earlier!
There's so many comments I wouldn't have made that seem so redundent now!

This thread is just wonderful!
Thank-you for all of your time and thoughts, Stealth!
I read half of your reviews yesterday and will try to finish them this afternoon.
This is a great way to get ready for the new series!

I totally agree with your take on Grant, by the way.
I never remember having access to your kind of background information on the creative teams.
My comic shop owner just wasn't interested.
I remember after I got my first computer and went on-line to DC.
What a wonderful shock it was to meet other's with insight and information and enthusiasm!
Actually 'talking' with artists and writers was incredible!

Anyway, thanks again for all of your insight!
I'm going to find that promised Excalibur thread!~

[ November 25, 2008, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.