Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Wanderers - worth getting?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Wanderers - worth getting?
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm slowly but surely completing my collection of all things Legion. I noticed someone on ebay selling a complete run of the Wanderers series from the 80's. I have never seen this available in any comic book store I've been in. I've never really cared much for the Wanderers or even understood the appeal they had to some, but I was wondering if this series was worth getting? I know it's in the 30th century but is it really Legion related? Any thoughts from anyone whose read this? Will I be a bad anal-retentive Legion collecter if I don't get this?
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, the LEGION does make an appearance around issue # 3.

If you can get for, say $1 or less per issue, then I'd say go ahead and do it.

The series itself has a couple of interesting ideas (especially the idea that Quantum Queen's costume would actually stay ON), but really, if you *don't* get it, you're not missing a whole lot.

I knew we were in trouble from the get-go of issue 1, when they offed all of the original Wanderers and then tried to bring 'em back as the X-Men.

Those sure were some nice Steve Lightle and Ken Steacy covers, though.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, but those were the best things about them. I have no axe to grind against Dave Hoover, but his stuff was really static and flat. And the poor stories didn't help much.

I have the entire run somewhere, but i can't lay hands on it right now.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
The stories started off very poor, but got much better later in the run, IMHO. I agree with Lash - if you can get them cheap, and are a die-hard fan of all things Legion, then get them; otherwise, pass on them. A shame the series got cancelled when it was getting so interesting...
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
If you consider beastiality interesting...

I really liked the characters in this series, especially Psyche (so, of course, she was the one that went nuts), but I haven't bothered to look up the issues in years. It's a pity the stories were so weak, the concept was good.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I have the series. Not a wonderful read, and the actual Legion connection is pretty limited. A nice lighning lass on the cover on one is about it.

As its not even the orginal Wanderers I would question getting this unless you can get it cheap.

A

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
It's a curiosity thing. Not really good or terrible, but just kinda there.

Worth it if it's priced cheap enough.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
If you like wierd French films...I say go for it! I enjoyed...something very different...more of a Vertigo series it seems.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree the interior hot wasn't great (but it's not bad either). The Lightle covers were AMAZING.

And the concept deals lots with cloning...sort of ahead of it's time if you ask me. But I got them all for 10 cents each at a sale. [Wink]

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quilty
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quilty   Email Quilty         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought these on eBay recently, as part of a mad quest to build a full run of Legion-related comics. I wasn't very impressed. The first few issues were filled with exposition and somewhat dull but the entire point of the series meandered from one rationale for the team being together to another. Hoover's art was rather flat, as stated above. Although the Legion and SP show up in the series, the stories themselves show little sign of taking place in the 30th-century DCU -- the setting could have been some generic SF settting.

In short, buy 'em if you can get 'em cheap. [Smile]

From: New York City | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll agree with just about everyone here... I got my set for about $13 on ebay a few years back.

Only get them...

A. If you are an AR Legion collector.

or

B. If you are having trouble falling asleep.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I got outbid for them by someone who upped their bid on it at the last minute. Looks like I'm not missing out on too much, though. I would like to get it some day just so I can feel complete as a Legion collecter. Oh well, better luck next time.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
If you don't mind my being nosey, what was your max bid, SLK?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

I just bid $7.00 on it. There was only one other bidder and he just joined in on the last day. I can't help but wonder how much he was willing to pay for it. I'm very new at ebay buying so I haven't learned all of the strategies of bidding yet.

Based on everyone's comments here, it sounds like I can file the Wanderers series away as a "get-when-you-get-around-to-it" addition to my Anal Retentive collection. I still have many Legion issues to go before I have to worry about this. It can stay in that classification along with those last two issues of Timber Wolf I've been meaning to pick up since, what 1993?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.