Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » DCDirect "First Appearance" Action Figures (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DCDirect "First Appearance" Action Figures
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone interested in a Legion "First Appearance" deluxe 3-pack from the cover of Adv#247, including their desk?
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Bah. I hate the fact that characters who already have figures made of them...multiple figures in some cases...are getting new iterations thereof, to conform to what they looked like when they were drawn by a less-skilled artist. I mean, does anyone think that Bob Kane's Batman is nicer to look at than Jim Aparo's or Brian Bolland's?

If they'd re-do the original three Legionnaires, looking as pretty as their current figures, but with decent articulation, then I'd be interested in buying. But this "First Appearance" business sounds dumb to me. I guess people are buying them, and I'm happy for DC Direct to be bringing in money that for all I know may be helping subsidize low-selling figures like the Legion.

But not me. I'll always prefer to see new characters rendered in plastic rather than new versions of characters already produced.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
While that would make the centerpiece of my desk and cause more discussion than my Legion HeroClix and PocketHeroes that currently are displayed there (to say nothing of the Bob and Doug McKenzie that sit on my monitor) I'd have to agree with Chaim. I want to see more figures that haven't had a chance yet. Namely the Legion women!
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not even picking up the "popular" First Appearance Figures, and I'm almost a completionist when it comes to DC Direct super hero figs.

That said, I would buy Legion first appearance figures, but I would rather have the other undone figures done first.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
You mean they're actually DOING the RokkGarthImraKal cover? The four of them? This isn't a probe as to whether we like the idea?

I give up. This makes four versions of them in a decade. DC isn't even trying to diversify. Yes, we need more, we need the women, and we need well-done free-standing artworks, not mere commemoratives of "first appearances."

Can't we find another Internet billionaire who's a Legion fan, will buy the characters (well, except the Kryptonians) from DC, and will do up four monthly comics series and dozens of action figures, and do them right? *sigh*

[ April 26, 2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Not that I've heard of, Grey. I was just asking around to see if anyone would WANT DC Direct to do something like this.

Actually, I'd prefer to have the cover of ADV 247 done as bookends, for all my Legion Archives... [Smile]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Actually, I'd prefer to have the cover of ADV 247 done as bookends, for all my Legion Archives... [Smile]

Hmm. I think I'd prefer to have the upside down Clubhouse and a statue of the Founders as bookends.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, I wish DCDirect would get on the ball and produce some bookends for their archived series with the most volumes... and no end in sight!

I'd prefer the 'left' end to be Adventure era heroes... the founders plus Brainy, Cham and Mon-el, maybe. The 'right' end would be Cockrum-Grell costumed Element Lad, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Wildfire, Star Boy and Dawnstar.

A second set (yeah, right!) could have TMK characters on the left and rebooted Legionnaires on the right.

Would six on a side be too many? The JSA bookends looked pretty good, I thought. How many characters were on a side of that set?

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

4 to a side.

Six Legionnaires to a side could work, especially if they were sculpted as front and back rows.

I would guess DC Direct hasn't done Legion bookends yet because of the long and varied history of the LSH. Even concentrating on a Silver Age theme, as they've done with teh action figures, there are so many ways they could go with this. And of course, it's not like they've solicited for input... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Man, I would have loved to have gotten those JSA bookends, but it's a little much for me right now, even on eBay.

As for Legion "First Appearance" figures, I can't say I'm too interested in the idea. I was never a fan of those designs.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat.

But, I'm really looking forward to the First Appearance series (Yes, I'm the one). I LOVE the golden age and I don't mind different designs for the same character as long as it makes "sense" and not something like Batman with spikey armor and useless accessories.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:

Hmm. I think I'd prefer to have the upside down Clubhouse and a statue of the Founders as bookends.
I'd prefer Colossal Bot for one end, and Validus for the other.

What I really want is a LSH/LSV chess set.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
But, I'm really looking forward to the First Appearance series (Yes, I'm the one). I LOVE the golden age and I don't mind different designs for the same character as long as it makes "sense" and not something like Batman with spikey armor and useless accessories.

I'm definitely in for the Superman and Batman figures as it may be the closest thing to the Earth-2 versions that we ever see. Might get the Robin for the same reason.

And I agree about the Batman stuff. Mattel....geez.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
WOW! I got my first four "First Appearance" figures (Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, and the Flash) yesterday and they rock!

They really captured the characters well from those early beginnings.

Bring on the ADVENTURE COMICS #247 set! I'm there!

Click for fullsize image

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

They're out! Aaargh!

Hope they'll still be some left at shops around here.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.