Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » When would you say the Silver Age started for Superman? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: When would you say the Silver Age started for Superman?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Good Grief! There really is a Krpyton Crawl! And it's more electrifying than Elvis!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Cool it, big daddy!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

BTW, did Lois and Lana ever meet before the Silver Age. I'm sure they must have, but it'd be interesting if they hadn't, since I've always been under the impression that Superman continuity was not the most coordinated until the Silver Age began.

One other thing: when did Mr. Mxyptlck (sp?) first appear?

[ July 27, 2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Mxy's from the 40s.

The other interesting question is when Mort Weisinger took over as Superman editor.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I'm guessing Lois and Lana first met in an early issue of Lois Lane, but I'm not sure.
Eryk Davis Ester

Mister Mxyzptlk = Superman #30 (1944).
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, but that's not true! Mr. Mxyztplk first appeared in Superman 30. Mr. Mxyzptlk appeared later [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I thought Mxy was early, but I didn't know he was that early. What prompted me to ask was that I was wondering when Batman really made the transition (another can of worms). I tend to think of Bat-mite, along with Batwoman and Batgirl, as early Bats Silver Agers, although that could be wrong too.

Good stuff! I think we have a pretty good idea of the transition then. The only other one would be what issue of World's Finest (and maybe Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane) did those titles really join up? And whether it was simply b/c of the year or if any event really ushered them in?

Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I thought Mxy was early, but I didn't know he was that early. What prompted me to ask was that I was wondering when Batman really made the transition (another can of worms). I tend to think of Bat-mite, along with Batwoman and Batgirl, as early Bats Silver Agers, although that could be wrong too.

Batman's pick'n'choose - Batman #1, and other Golden Age comics were referenced in Englehart's run. Personally, I put all the time-travel, aliens, monsters etc on E2 for Bats, with the earlier stuff in both, and E1 picking up with the "New Look" (yellow oval).

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Bat-dates:

1955-- Ace the Bat-Hound
1956-- Batwoman
1958-- Bat-Mite
1961-- Bat-girl (Betty Kane)
1964-- "New Look"; death of Alfred; Aunt Harriet

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Batman aliens covers are some of the most fun to look at. I definately don't count them towards his Silver Age continuity, but they're a blast to see! My Dad hated them as a kid, but when we put them up on display (we have a good amount), it's fun even for him.

I think Batman's transition is accompanied by a few particulur villians: Clayface and Catman. Both were big-time baddies in the Silver Age with many subsequent returns (even in World's Finest). Clayface was almost Batman's Brainiac if you look at it like that. Of course, Bats already had Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and Two-Face, while Supes didn't have that large of a Rogues Gallery.

If we're getting into Batman, I'm curious to know if Mr. Freeze, the Mad Hatter and Dr. Hugo Strange first appeared. I know the Riddler, Calender Man, and Blockbuster are pretty much all Silver Agers (with Poison Ivy a bit later), but I can't remember when the first three I mentioned first appeared.

Bat-mite is another I'm unsure about (when did he first appear?), but I'd say Batwoman and Batgirl are pretty solid as Silver Agers.

Just to make it more confusing [Smile]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks, EDE! See, I'd put Ace, Bat-Mite and Batwoman as part of Bat's Silver Age experience, or at least a prelude to it.

Although 1955 is still a bit early. I guess like Krypto, I'd file Ace and Batwoman under "Prelude to and Beginnings of the Silver Age".

Bat-Mite, in 1958, is definately Silver Age.

Eryk Davis Ester

Here's the site where I got the above data, if you're interested.
Reboot

Like I said tho, Batman's unique among the carryovers in that his Golden Age comics were definately Silver Age (E1) continuity. Because of that, timings become less important, since cuts are going to be made somewhere. And the aliens/time travel/"I'm a human fish" stuff really doesn't go with the later stuff. Although, Batwoman has to be in, I suppose. I wouldn't count on Bat-Mite tho.

--------------------

matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Bat-Girl was in Titans West pre-Crisis wasn't she? So I guess that would move her and Batwoman into Silver Age continuity, if not all the other stories of that era.

So, which do you all prefer: the Krypton Crawl, the Bat-Watusi or the Shurg? Shouldn't more heroes have their own associated dance craze, like the Lobo-Limbo or something?

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.