Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Help File

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legion Help File
Doc Nimbus
Legion of Virtue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Nimbus   Email Doc Nimbus         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone know when the Legion help file will be updated? It's missing everything after Legion Lost #12.

--------------------
"Your plan didn't work, now let's try it my way...brute force!"

From: Founder's Falls, Paragon City | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Chaim lost his original a while back and had been unable to do any updates. I recently was able to tear apart a copy of the file and send it to him in a format that would be editable for Help.

I'm sure he's working on it as time permits.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
It helped me immensely

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
If you read this Chaim, I just have to say great job on the Help File! Thanks for creating such an invaluable guide. [Smile]

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Since he did this, the "compiled" Windows Help files (ending in .chm) have become more common. Their advantage is that they are self-contained in a single file, without a separate .cnt (contents) or .gid (index). They also open up a bit faster, though I never found the Legion.hlp to be slow.

Chaim Keller has his own takes on Legion history and casting, o'course. What should be noted is that his Legion.hlp doesn't exclude them -- making it indeed a superb guide, as I see it, using his points of view, far more than a strict reference work.

The differences I and others have with his views aren't so crucial as to diminish the value of what he does (and, I hope, can again do some day).

One change of method that I again hope he'll make, though, in any future edition is to adopt the terms that the rest of Legion fandom uses for the various volumes of "Legion of Super-Heroes."

The Overstreet price guide and nearly all fans call the early-'70s reprint series "Volume 1," and Keller has not. That makes the series that ended before "Lost" into "Volume 4" for the rest of us, and "Volume 3" for users of Legion.hlp. This gets terribly confusing, and I hope he'll reconsider if he goes back to this project.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
As Lightning Lad has stated, I'm doing my best to find the time to update the Legion help file.

Greybird, I'm thinking that I might just do that this time around.

Thanks for the kind words, all!

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Since he did this, the "compiled" Windows Help files (ending in .chm) have become more common. Their advantage is that they are self-contained in a single file, without a separate .cnt (contents) or .gid (index). They also open up a bit faster, though I never found the Legion.hlp to be slow.

Actually, .chm files are (literally) an order of magnitude slower than .hlp files. Computers have just got fast enough that opening 10 times slower is miniscule by now.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggard Lad
S'up?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haggard Lad   Email Haggard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh wow! The guy who made the Legion Help File posts here? Cool!

I've only been reading the Legion books since the Zero Hour reboot, so finding this file helped me a lot in understanding the history of the Legion. It's especially helpful now that I'm a member here at Legion World. Now, whenever someone mentions Kid Psycho or Condo or Antennae Boy, I don't have to ask about them.

I swear I end up using it every time I log on here. [Smile]

So, thank you very much, Chaim, for putting the time and effort into making it! You rock!

[ January 20, 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Haggard Lad ]

--------------------
The Secret Origin of Haggard Lad!

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix
Active

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kinetix   Author's Homepage   Email Kinetix         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved the LSH Help File. Would love to see some more.

Came in really handy when working on my LSHRPGs.

Pick an issue at random, see if it sparked any ideas... [Wink]

As well as character bios and details.

J

--------------------
"Why must power be so elusive?" - Zoe Saugin
Enter Zoe's Closet

From: Everywhere, nowhere... | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.