Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Your imagining of the Legion (formerly Captain Marvel in the Legion)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your imagining of the Legion (formerly Captain Marvel in the Legion)
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
What do you think? Personally, I think a lot of grief could have been avoided if they'd simply said "All of Superboy's adventures had occured under Captain M"

Marvel Marvel and Brainiac 5!

Thunder is an interesting character but one I didn't think was honestly needed because it added further confusion to the time business. I think personally Marvel is best in and of himself

[ January 19, 2005, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Charles Phipps ]

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pizza Delivery Girl
Fighting world hunger for glory and tips!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pizza Delivery Girl   Author's Homepage   Email Pizza Delivery Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay Charles, I'm oddly curious now.

If you were in charge, who all would be in *your* Legion. You've campaigned for Kyle, Bart, Captain Marvel, and possibly Superboy, but what's the complete list of names in your head?

Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
The Legion of Superheroes "Charles Phipps" style...

Since you asked who would be in, I might as well tell you what I would do with it as well.

THE LEGION OF SUPERHEROES

The story would pick up in the Silver Age of the characters at the start of thing as we basically find that the Legion (without the younger versions, Glorith, and only the original Controller Time Trapper)

The Legion of Superheroes

The "main" Legion is the officially sanctioned team of Earth. It's the old guard of Saturn Woman, Lighting Man, Cosmic Man, Sun Man, Ultra Man, Chamelon, and Mon'El

Timberwolf, Lighting Woman, Cosmic Boy, Shrinking Violet, Night Girl, and Dream Girl become recurring guest stars

A key appearence would be Green Lantern aka Kyle Raynar who is their age bracket and has been banished to the future by the Guardians for whatever reason. Due to his rogue nature and the fact his ring is magical (It's Alan Scotts ring), he's allowed to work in the UP after some heroism.

This team handles itself BY itself and unless there's a serious retcon where the Silver Age is restored, only Superman and Superwoman would have been allowed here.

The Legionaires

The Teen Titans version of the Legion would be a resting place for the Legion of Superheroes younger members and members in training. Superboy (their leader) would be here almost nonstop and Supergirl Linda Danvers/Andromeda might be here as well as the "warden"

Impulse, XS, Thunder, and a routinely changing crop of "new" Legionaires would be involved here. This is the "teen legion" people want and new versions of old names would be tested out here.

Captain and Mary would only work if Superboy and Linda weren't there, which they'd be of course.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a big Billy Batson/Captain Marvel fan. Don't care much for the Marvel family...a bit too silly for me.

I didn't care for Thunder being in the Legion either. I rather have Mon-El be the big guy rather than Superboy or Captain Marvel.

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Though I might not mind seeing what the 31st century equivalent is of Captain Marvel and his legacy (or if Shazam is still around), I would only want to see it for one story rather than have the Legion and Marvel (or any other hero's) legacy/mythology become merged. A 31st century Green Lantern would also be very cool, but only as a recurring character - not a team member.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
The Legion of Superheroes "Charles Phipps" style...

Since you asked who would be in, I might as well tell you what I would do with it as well.

THE LEGION OF SUPERHEROES

The story would pick up in the Silver Age of the characters at the start of thing as we basically find that the Legion (without the younger versions, Glorith, and only the original Controller Time Trapper)

The Legion of Superheroes

The "main" Legion is the officially sanctioned team of Earth. It's the old guard of Saturn Woman, Lighting Man, Cosmic Man, Sun Man, Ultra Man, Chamelon, and Mon'El

Timberwolf, Lighting Woman, Cosmic Boy, Shrinking Violet, Night Girl, and Dream Girl become recurring guest stars

A key appearence would be Green Lantern aka Kyle Raynar who is their age bracket and has been banished to the future by the Guardians for whatever reason. Due to his rogue nature and the fact his ring is magical (It's Alan Scotts ring), he's allowed to work in the UP after some heroism.

This team handles itself BY itself and unless there's a serious retcon where the Silver Age is restored, only Superman and Superwoman would have been allowed here.

The Legionaires

The Teen Titans version of the Legion would be a resting place for the Legion of Superheroes younger members and members in training. Superboy (their leader) would be here almost nonstop and Supergirl Linda Danvers/Andromeda might be here as well as the "warden"

Impulse, XS, Thunder, and a routinely changing crop of "new" Legionaires would be involved here. This is the "teen legion" people want and new versions of old names would be tested out here.

Captain and Mary would only work if Superboy and Linda weren't there, which they'd be of course.

This doesn't sound like the Legion to me. I wouldn't buy it.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
They couldn't have pulled a Captain Marvel = Superboy retcon (rather than the Valor 'con) when the Superboy edict came in because CM was in flux at the time - the Thomas post-Crisis version had flunked so badly that they junked it in a guest appearence in Dan Jurgens' Superman, and Jerry Ordway wouldn't re-reboot (working with the Jurgens issue for the most part that said) for another few years yet.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

Forgive me but how the devil does that not sound like the Legion?

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I could do without Thunder or any Shazam reference in the 31st Century. To be honest, I'd really only like Superman-centric stuff, Green Lantern stuff and hints of Martian Manhunter in the 31st and no mention of any other mainstream DCU legacies at all besides them. Even the GLs and J'Onn I can do without, although they'd make cool stories IMO.

Otherwise, it just becomes too much for me and I like when the Legion is farther apart from the mainstream DCU.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
* The fact that you have Kyle Rayner there front and centre would turn this into more of a Green Lantern book than a LSH book considering the GL's higher popularity in fandom and as a money-spinner for DC.

* The fact that you've split the team into two smaller groups, rather than one large Legion, kinda defeats the purpose of the name.

* The fact that neither of these teams seem to follow the ideals or purpose of the LSH (to serve and protect the various planets of the UP) but instead are beholden to Earth in the case of the first team and are just a 'training ground for the next generation of heroes' (like that concept hasn't been done to death in comics) in the case of the second team makes me wonder how this comic is supposed to stand out from others on the market.

* The fact that you've got so many 21st Century connections in what should be (in my mind, and I know it hasn't always been this way in Legion history) an isolated 31st Century setting would diminish what should be the LSH comics' greatest hook - that this is a comic about interesting and heroic teens from the *future*.

I'm not trying to pick on you Charles. I just think we look for different things when it comes to enjoying the Legion. But then, I already knew that anyway when I saw that you were a Saturn Girl fan. [Wink]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

I understand.

1. The Kyle Raynar bit will definitely make Kyle an eventual permanent part of the Legion I will admit. The character would develop relationships with all the Legionaires and quite bluntly, never go home.

I'm something of him an an Alya fan. They'd fit together and he'd be eventually part of the Legion's "first family."

Yes, he'd be blatantly there as a draw for fans but so was Superboy. The Legion of Superheroes eventually grew more interesting than Superboy though and fans will come to love the other Legionaires who came for Kyle.

2. I see ultimately the younger Legion in the same manner of the Justice League. The "Legion" of superheroes isn't so much split as its two different groups of decidedly different experience levels. The X-men aren't divided really but "Generation X" was decidedly not about Xavier's "bold and finest"

I hope Waid realizes this when the series gets old, you can't focus on both the adults and kids at once and its best to divide the book up into two (I hope its successful enough, that that's possible) and the two groups have a decided mentor/student relationship.

3. This is largely just interpretation difference because I see the Earth as the capital of the United Planets. They would definitely be protecting many worlds of course but I see the Legion Headquarters as decidedly Metropolis for the main Legion and the rebuilt rocket in Smallville for the Legionettes.

4. This is where we totally disagree, the Legion of Superheroes is set in the DC Universe. There is no isolation whatsoever and they're making a deliberate effort to be connected with their moral descendents. The Legion is a legacy team of the justice league/society as much as Infinity Inc.

I'd redo "The Legion of Substitute Heroes" as well as the "Legionaires for Hire" and basically have the team formed of those whom can't get clearence or whatnot for the team and aside from the usual team of Polar Boy and the rest I'd add Dev-em and have him routinely come to him, exploiting their lack of a connection to the Mainstream League for less than legal means.

Bouncing Boy would also become a member of said team because darnit if he's a true Legionaire but typical of the type of weirdoes that will come and go in this quasi-covert squad.

[ January 19, 2005, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Charles Phipps ]

--------------------

googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
What about Capt Marvel Jr?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

In my Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes retcon I'd have the roll for CM3 (which is good shorthand but a TERRIBLE name, what about "Mister Marvel" or "Marvelman" is it SOOOO difficult?)

Captain Marvel Junior basically gets to play the roll of the jokester and somewhat Spiderman/Jimmy Olsen to CM's seriousness and goodnatured heroics. I think amongst his peers, he might actually only remain his normal age thanks to the Power of Shazam reflecting how one wants to appear. Freddie would always be something of that way.

They wouldn't be "divorced" as they are in this society and instead, the usual hero and sidekick type even though there's no reason for Freddie to be a sidekick really since their same age.

While their powers are somewhat similiar, I see also Freddie as developing a deep affection for Dawnstar (don't know why I chose her) which of course ironically would make him a bitter enemy of Wildfire who would otherwise be his friend.

--------------------

Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
You couldn't use Marvelman. Somebody already tried that and after some visits from a certain big company's legal staff they wound up changing the name to Miracleman.

...and I really like the idea of having a Green Lantern available but personally I'd rather see someone contemporary to the Legion wear the ring.

[ January 20, 2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Yellow Kid ]

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.