Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » How Would YOU Have Done the JLA/JSA/LSH Teamup?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Would YOU Have Done the JLA/JSA/LSH Teamup?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've never read the story, but my understanding is that it's not that great.

So how should a team-up between the Silver Age versions have worked?

[ December 08, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, I have a soft spot for the story. It was a favorite of mine as a kid... but I can see how LSH fans wouldn't care so much for it, as the Legionnaires aren't portrayed as powerful as they should be.

Me, I wouldn't have had a tale where all 3 teams join up. Instead, I would have come up with some plot element that begins with the 1940s JSA, pops up again during the Satellite-era of JLA and turns up a third and final time during the Grell-era LSH.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lame Lad
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lame Lad   Email Lame Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Was that the one with the Bell, the Jar, and the Wheel or something like that and three demons?
From: Spokane | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, Mordru and the Demons 3-- Abnagazar, Rath and Gast (spellings iffy there) vs. the JL/SA and LSH.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
right, the story that didn't make much sense -- too many characters crammed into a very tiny plot

i was a huge fan of the JLA/JSA team ups, and already hooked on the Legion, but i felt bad for folks who might have their first exposure to the Legion through that story

the Legionnaires were particularly formless in it, with neither personas nor abilities showcased well

if i was gonna do it silver age, i would have had a dilemma that necessitated rescue from the future -- the Infinite Man, for instance, who could pull the Golden Age JSA into battle with the sattelite JLA and the new All-Stars JSA members (Star-Spangled Kid, Huntress, Power Girl -- Doc Midnite, Wildcat and Dr. Fate were also usually integral squad members at the time) ... throw in the Cockrum-Grell sexy Legion (maybe Karate Kid, Brainiac 5, Dream Girl, Element Lad, Collosal Boy, Princess Projectra) and you've got a juicy bunch, ripe for conflict and interaction

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
How funny - now that I think about it I think this story probably was my first introduction to the Legion. The JlofA was the first series I ever collected fanatically so this would probably have been among the first comics I ever read.

I can't remember much of it though but what I do remember wasn't good. Weren't only something like 4 Legionnaires (Shadow Lass, Sun Boy, Princess Projectra and Lightning Lad from memory) spot-lighted? That's hardly a good indication of what the Legion or a Legion story is like. The worst thing for me though was probably the *extremely* tired JLA plot of splitting the teams into smaller groups so that they could each go off and search for some missing item or person or something, all encountering some not particularly difficult or interesting obstacle along the way. This plot was used over and over and over in that series and I think by this story I was tired of it.

How would I have done it differently? Well I really liked MLLASH's idea of having a foe that tackled them all at different points in history, but that would've meant missing out on seeing the teams fighting together which is something I'm sure most readers would've really wanted to see.

I like Andy's idea of some villain from the future driving the plot too. Maybe a time-war could have started betweeen the JLA villain the Lord of Time and the JSA villain Per Degaton and during the fight to stop them a handful of members from both teams could have been flung into the timestream and stranded in the 30th Century. Here they would have had to team up with the LSH to not only stop the two baddies (and the person that was really behind it all - the Time Trapper) but also find their way home too. Or something like that. [Big Grin]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, it definitely wasn't a classic, though I expect someday it'll see a reprinting in the "Crisis On Multiple Earths" series of trades.

I like Andy's ideas as well. With something like this, you need to do a JLA/Avengers kind of thing and pull in everybody.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.