Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Vandal Savage and the LSH (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vandal Savage and the LSH
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
The problem isn't the immortality or even resurrection, it's the return to "Status Quo".

Look at the Pulsar Stargrave stuff. Brainiac was now required to show up in the 30th century as his old school green and bald self, undercutting the "New" Brainiac skeletal design, because he was eventually destined to return to his less-deadly incarnation as the robot Coluan dude.

Darkseid proved it can be done, but you have to be very careful (even in GDS there's some question as to whether he's a ghost or not when he's fighting Orion). I'd rather not risk it unless it's extraordinarily well-done.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
That sounds right, BRM.

I vew Vandal Savage as the ultimate loser - in 50,000 years or whatever, he's accomplished Nada.

I once brainstormed up an idea that he was the Time Trapper, having continued his losing streak straight through the end of time.

I love this idea. This could be one of those "behind the scenes" elements that is understood by the creative team(s) but not dealt with directly. These elements tend to flavor and add dimention to a title.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rouge:
The problem isn't the immortality or even resurrection, it's the return to "Status Quo".

Look at the Pulsar Stargrave stuff. Brainiac was now required to show up in the 30th century as his old school green and bald self, undercutting the "New" Brainiac skeletal design, because he was eventually destined to return to his less-deadly incarnation as the robot Coluan dude.

Darkseid proved it can be done, but you have to be very careful (even in GDS there's some question as to whether he's a ghost or not when he's fighting Orion). I'd rather not risk it unless it's extraordinarily well-done.

And for me, seeing a 1000 year old Superman showing up out of nowhere has the potential to be extraordinarily done. Or Vandal Savage. Or Solomon Grundy or Swamp Thing. It depends on the creative team.

The Great Darkness Saga is one of the best Legion epics-- I would hate to have not have had it created because they wanted to keep Future DC and Present DC separate.

(Besides, how many Legions has Superman met now?)

[Big Grin]

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
in my view, you can't write Legion with too much attention given to modern-day continuity; the carpet keeps getting pulled out from under you, so why not just assume the carpet will be eventually restored?

Imagine Paul Levitz worryingabout the 1987/8 "end" of the GL Corps, and re-writing Rond to be a Darkstar or something. Then, a few years later, there is a Corps. Then, 1993ish, there isn't. Now, there is again...

Worryingabout who is "dead" or changed is irrelevant. At one point Pulsar Stargrave was given a non-Brainiac origin; that didn't diminish the impact readers in the 70s had on seeing PS as the survived Brainiac. If Ra's was "permanently" killed in 2005, the 3002 Ra's could have been an imposter, but that didn't retroactively unweave the surprise of "The" #3.

I'd rather see creators worry about good stories than "continuity." DC "continuity" is like a river that floods every so often; writing the 3007 while worrying about the possible floods of 2008-2020 (and beyond) is ridiculous and counter-productive.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Kent.

Good stories are a lot more important to me than whether the latest issue of comic X contradicts the continuity established in comic Y three years ago, etc. In fact, I'd argue that the over-emphasis on continuity and the "shared universe" idea is a large part of what's led to the decline of American comics over the past forty years. Consistency within a particular title or family of titles is important, but trying to tie a multitude of titles featuring vastly different characters that have been published for decades and written by numerous different authors together as though they are one seamless story is just being unnecessarily pedantic.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The differences between LSH and the modern DCU actually build excitement for me. So in the modern DCU, there is no Justice League. But if I read LSH, and they mention the League facing a Braalian threat- you know my curiosity is piqued. Maybe another writer picks that story up, maybe not. It's the hints, the suggestions and the possibilities both time periods have on the other

As for Savage, let him face the Legion. By then, he should have marshalled some bank and some forces to make a serious threat. Imagine him becoming the Jabba of some remote UP world. Or he's become a Luthor type villain- respectable veneer of a businessman, with a seedy, untouchable side.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe the question that needs to be asked is...

If Vandal Savage is immortal why hasn't he shown up in LSH?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
If Vandal Savage is immortal why hasn't he shown up in LSH?
After his experiences with 7-man super-hero teams in the 20th century, he's probably (wisely) chosen not to pick fights with any 25+ person super-teams in the 30th. [Smile]
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.