Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Mr. Waid's writing - Brave and Bold vs. Legion (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mr. Waid's writing - Brave and Bold vs. Legion
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's pretty common for young people to model themselves after various social movements of the past as they try to build their own identity. Though often, as you suggest, they end up mixing different eras, like all the retro-punk kids with the piercings and tatoos and late seventies fashions going out swing dancing like it's the 1930s. Though most of the swing-dancers I know are actually pretty conservative.

I do remember when I got to college and first saw people on campus dressed in armor, calling each other "thou" and stuff, and beating each other with swords, I thought it was kind of weird, but whatever...

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
When I got to college in 1999 there was a whle 70's Kung-Fu retro-trend going on for a little while, all the time combined with Dave Matthews Band. I won't begin to explain how many times I raised my eyebrows to that...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
The question now becomes "Where are we?" as far as the next year of Legion stories is concerned. Will the new writer Mr. Bedard try to stick to the template Mr. Waid has established, or will it go in a different direction. The extreme possibility is of course another reboot, but I for one am against that, even it comes from the JSA storylines.

Still, I can't help but expect we'll have a bunch of Elsewhere stories for the 50th anniversary year, then a completely different version from what the last three years have been (look how far we've moved away from what DnA established!)

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbucks Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starbucks Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd say that the issue was Mark and Barry came in w/ a relatively good, fresh concept that got muddled down with all this cross-selling #@$%# that is the mess of DC today.

It's not just the Legion's sales that are falling, it's DC in general. The direction has been poor lately.

I think they need to sack Dido.

Oh, and Kid Quislet, moving away from the mess that DnA established was probably a good thing [Smile] . What did they turn zoey into again??

Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I really wasn't commenting on whether moving away from DnA was good or bad; I was just commenting on how the Legion and its direction has changed so much in three years. In another three years, the Legion probably will not even resemble this current version.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
When I got to college in 1999 there was a whle 70's Kung-Fu retro-trend going on for a little while, all the time combined with Dave Matthews Band. I won't begin to explain how many times I raised my eyebrows to that...

But it sounds cool. Taking the old and mixing with something new I don't mind. Guys like Busiek and Waid already did a cool retro feel good thing in the late nineties. I don't mind retro but from a new angle? I bet a guy like Morrisson would be able to pull it off.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I still believe that the whole plot concept to focus on the generational conflict as a kind of main plot device just did not work. it stood in the way of a decent storyline from the beginning. Add Terra Firma, a lame villain group with a major villain whose power was that everybody forgot about him - how symbolic!!! - and you see why the Waidiverse never really lifted off.

What I thought was especially weak were the huge conventuions of youngsters standing around the Legion HQ, doing nothing but waiting. The whole idea of young people going somewhere to make a political statement (which one was it???) is very idealistic but as a plot device, it just did not work. Lacking a decent plot for over ten issues, Waid really lost the book on a very primary level.

It is a pity that he is leaving now that he finally seems to get a grip in the story, even though the main Legion characters still don't seem to be right in my eyes.

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Whereas in Brave and the Bold, he can do anything - because when George Perez is drawing it, everything looks better no matter what the plot :-)
From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, the kewlest part of # 1 for me (which was my least fave of the earliest issues) was the revelation that the pseudoLegionnaires outside the HQ were there as a sort-of "human/sentient shield" of protection against the SP's.

Of course, that didn't end well, but still...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Oh my, and now that I read #2 - which I thought was way better than the first issue - I can only repeat what I wrote earlier: George Perez is simply perfect, he is a God among comic artists. This issue was pure fun. Please let there be a Perez Legion :-)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.