Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Justice Society of America: the best LEGION of SUPER-HEROES book? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Justice Society of America: the best LEGION of SUPER-HEROES book?
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
NON-SPOILER but TEASER-POSITIVE

Could the sudden resurgence of old familiar names (though not necessarily faces) in LSH be the result of the resurgence of much-missed and VERY FAMILIAR LSH faces in JSoA?

*IS* Justice Society slated to become THE LEGION book to watch??!?

[ January 11, 2007, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, we should maybe have seen this coming, given that they used Mordru in the very first arc of the last book.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I like it. We can have the Legion no one seems to have the balls to bring back, combined with the classic SH team of all-time!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yep, the two books DC was intent on crapping on in the 80s/early 90s are now joining hands in a display of ready-to-whupass popularity!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
To answer the question: Yup.

It's the writing. Last year, the Super Villains in Superman/Batman was the best Legion story. This year, the JSA Legion features will probably be best. Mr. Waid's Legion has been a snoozer - hopefully it is now turning around, but the excitement for now for Legion fans lay with the JSA.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, I just had a thought. We ARE celebrating the 50'th anniversary of the Legion next year. What if... Star Boy and Dawnstar appearing in JSA are happening so as to set up...

The return of the one, true Legion of Super-Heroes for their 50'th anniversary in 2008.

Could it be?

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, God, we can only hope. But we need to keep Barry, though. [Smile]

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Check out the spoilers for JSA # 4, and you'll see that JSA is indeed the best Legion book at the moment!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
*choke*

I really want Thom to rescue her!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Dream Girl lives!!!!!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Uhhhh-- did everyone catch the last page of the latest JSoA???

Click Here For A SpoilerMORDRU'S back and he's ready to whip the JSA's collective kiesters!

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I took care of that already.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly I've been reading JSA for awhile and enjoy but I find

Click Here For A SpoilerMordru to be pretty bland as a JSA villain. First I thought they handled him pretty well a while ago (was it as far back as Prince of Darkness where Mordru sees his future?) and really feel that his connection with the JSA is pretty much over.

Also, I found Willingham's writing of him pretty weak. The opening sequence was good enough, but after awhile he sounded less threatening. I've noticed Willingham's villains all have a tendency to sound like this and I don't mind it in Fables where there is a level of quipiness that has existed throughout the book, but in JSA it just seems to make him seem less threatening. Maybe if we saw a villain or two with a different voice before seeing this one again it wouldn't bother me but right now it does.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

current JSA SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!!!

This actually got me wondering-- just how effective a threat has Mordru EVER been really?

His untold first appearance in a 1-panel flashback looked impressive, and of course the 2-parter in Adventure is impressive, but I mean-- and this is going to sound awful and I don't mean it to-- but he was beaten by a team consisting of Duo Damsel, Shadow Lass and Pete Ross (yeah Supes, Mon and Lana were there too). He was easily fooled by Jeckie, Nura and Mysa.

His threat level during the Cockrum era was pretty low. His appearance in "Lord Romdur's Castle" is probably better off forgotten, where Star Boy soundly whipped his ass. Darkseid defeated him easily from the looks of it.

"Earthwar" might have made him a big threat but I could barely sit through that once James Sherman left the art chores. I can remember Element Lad defeated him there, with a mental boost from Imra and the rest of the LSH iirc.

I submit it wasn't until the Bierbaums got ahold of him that Mordru was depicted as a REAL threat to the galaxy. TMK set that up earlier in their Mordruverse story.

So maybe seeing Mordru gat whupped by Mister America and Dr. Mid-Nite and Hooty isn't at all unexpected...

[ January 03, 2010, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
His weakness has always been his ego. I can see why an overlooked opponent would have an edge.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.