Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » For real real... do I need to start buying the SUPERMAN books? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For real real... do I need to start buying the SUPERMAN books?
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
ACTION, and all the rest and whatnot? I haven't been but am I missing out? Please advise!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
yes...and also Justice League of America where Mon-El will join soon.

I started buying Superman and Action comics when Mon-El guest-starred (alongside Tellus, and Sensor Girl, to no lesser extent)

[Smile]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
If you want my opinion, I'd say "pass", Lash. I discontinued Action after 3 or 4 issues of this direction and am seriously considering dropping Superman now. James Robinson's return to DC is laying an egg everywhere he goes, and even the presence of Mon-El and Tellus isn't saving it for me. I was high on the World of New Krypton series for a while, but it's really sinking since it starting crossing over with the other titles.

Supergirl is probably gonna end up being the only one I keep buying. It's been consistently good under Gates and Igle, though it's weaker with the recent crossovers. Very good recent Superwoman arc and the January solicitation looks to be an issue no Superman or LSH fan should miss. I hope it's a mislead, but the development has been foreshadowed in Supergirl for a good while now.

So...Lardy says skip the Super-titles but give Supergirl a chance if you want to sample just one.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
JLA is a regular buy for me, so no probs there.

It was Mon-El's presence and the feeling I'm missing out on LSH stuff that was making me wonder what I should do re: the SUPES titles.

Supergirl? I dropped the latest series when it became total garbage... it's good again? I know of Igle, but I don't know Gates (though he has a nice last name for this LSH fan!)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Supergirl is the best one, I totally reccommend it! Its about as fun as you can imagine and its so different from the awful beginning to the series that you'll be shocked.

Superman (with Mon-El) is hit or miss each month. Sometimes its really great, sometimes its only okay. Robinson is writing some real crap elsewhere in the DCU but this is probably the best stuff he's doing...but its not a title I can reccomend wholeheartedly.

Action Comics is getting better but its not exactly anything spectacular. Ditto for the Captain Atom back-up.

"World of New Krytpon" has been excellent but its almost over...

Yet, the Super-titles are far better than the Bat-titles these days.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the Mon-el issues of Superman, but have not liked the last couple of two where Mon-el is not there Click Here For A Spoilerpresumed dead, but really a captive of Gen. Lane I'll be happy next issue when it looks like he is back.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Oh, I totally forgot something! Lash, are you aware that one of your more FAVORITE Legionnaires is currently in Superman? No, not Mon-El. No, not Tellus (he's pretty much in Adventure Comics now). This is actually one of the Legionnaires you like more than them whose currently not in the 31st Century. It was revealed elsewhere but I wasn't sure if you knew. I'll put it in the spoiler below, check if you'd like...

Click Here For A SpoilerSensor Girl / Princess Projectra! And her recent revelatory appearance was pretty awesome and emotional.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Oh, I totally forgot something! Lash, are you aware that one of your more FAVORITE Legionnaires is currently in Superman? No, not Mon-El. No, not Tellus (he's pretty much in Adventure Comics now). This is actually one of the Legionnaires you like more than them whose currently not in the 31st Century. It was revealed elsewhere but I wasn't sure if you knew. I'll put it in the spoiler below, check if you'd like...

Click Here For A SpoilerSensor Girl / Princess Projectra! And her recent revelatory appearance was pretty awesome and emotional.

Hmmm...that must have been in the last issue, which I haven't read yet. Might save Robinson's ass from losing my 3 bucks/month if it's as good as you say....

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, that three page sequence is as good as I say. The rest of the book you'll have to judge for yourself.

Some of it is needlessly confusing (honestly, I happen to have some extensive knowledge of Mark Merlin and Prince Ra Man, but why make it so confusing with readers who won't get it *or* care). And the Morgan Edge stuff is so cliche its boring, but thats in all the Super-books these days.

But yeah, I thought that sequence I mentioned was good.

kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd pick up Superman. I like what Robinson is doing in it. It's not groundbreaking, but it's solid. And now with Sensor Girl/Projectra being revealedd -- maybe more revelations are on the way?

Action Comics -- pass. I've yet to read anything by Rucka that I like. His Batwoman stories are pretty to look at -- but the writing is so so.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
If you're counting $ I'd skip them - you can get the essential plot details here. I'm buying Superman for the Mon-el story, which I've mostly enjoyed but doubt I'll add JLA just for his appearances.

I'm also passing on Action Comics (story doesn't sound that interesting) and skipping World of New Krypton as non-essential.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
For anyone who is considering buying the Mon-El/Tellus books, here's the list of published to date issues (including the pre-Robinson appearances of Mon-El). Some are single panel cameos:
Action Comics Annual 10 Mon-El origin
Action Comics 846 Mon-El in Phantom Zone
Action Comics 851 Mon-El in Phantom Zone
Action Comics Annual 11 Mon-El in Phantom Zone
Superman 674 Mon-El in Phantom Zone
Superman 675 Mon-El in Phantom Zone
Adventure Comics Special (Featuring The Guardian) 1 Tellus cameo
Superman 682 Mon-El cameo
Action Comics 872 Tellus cameo
Action Comics 873 Starman cameo and Mon-El in Phantom Zone cameo
Superman 684 Mon-El in Phantom Zone
Action Comics 874 Mon-El in Phantom Zone, Sensor Girl cameo
Superman 685 Mon-El major appearance Tellus cameo
Superman 686 Mon-El major appearance
Superman 687 Mon-El major appearance, Tellus/Sensor Girl cameos
Action Comics 877 Mon-El cameo on viewer
Superman 688 Mon-El major appearance, Tellus/Sensor Girl cameos
Superman 689 Mon-El major appearance, Tellus appearance
Action Comics 879 Mon-El appearance
Superman 690 Mon-El cameo, Tellus appearance, Sensor Girl cameo
Superman Annual 14 Mon-El major appearance, Tellus cameo
Superman Secret Files 2009 1 Mon-El major appearance, Sensor Girl cameo
Action Comics 880 Mon-El major appearance
Supergirl (V5) 44 Mon-El major appearance, Sensor Girl cameo
Superman 691 Mon-El major appearance
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen Special 2 Mon-El appearance
Action Comics 881 Screens showing Mon-El during Superman 691
Supergirl (V5) 45 Mon-El photo on cover of Daily Planet
Superman 691 Mon-El appearance, Sensor Girl appearance

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Get the Actions; skip the rest.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
Action comics is the worst of this storyline. Superman is decent but could be better if they spent more pages on mon-el and the legionnaires rather than the guardian. Supergirl is excellent. Superman:WONK has its moments but has lots of meaningless violence

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I dropped Action because at its heart, it is a love story, and I don't buy into it. But that's me. Never been into Captain Atom either.

Superman and Superman:WONK are strong but I tend to agree with Para-Dox on the former.

Superman:SO has been fantastic so far.

Supergirl is much improved these days but not enough to make my pull list. But I've never been a big fan of the character anyway.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.