Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » For real real... do I need to start buying the SUPERMAN books? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For real real... do I need to start buying the SUPERMAN books?
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Get the Actions; skip the rest.

ooops! I thought Action was the title Lar was starring in.
Get Superman, skip the rest.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:

Supergirl is much improved these days but not enough to make my pull list. But I've never been a big fan of the character anyway.

I'm a big fan of Gates' structure on the title. He will have his 'trade' arc, his mandated crossover and the stuff DC demands but where he excels is the one shot character issues like 'Why the world doesn't need supergirl?', 'guilding day' and the lead story in the recent annual. Gates is touching on the 'real world' aspect of the storyline that no one else is doing. The only time we see what the random DCU population think is when Gates is writing. As for the character, I've loved her since I saw Helen Slater fly about so I'm a bit bias there. I want to learn more about how she views the world(s) where Gates writing of her she is very reactionary to the events around her rather than contemplative

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The Feb solicitation for Superman 697 states

“Man of Valor” Part 4! With the Legion of Super-Hero members in the 21st century now revealed to Mon-El, the Man of Valor learns of a greater destiny he and Superboy share; one that ties directly in to the fate of New Krypton and Kal-El!

Part one kicks off in #694 this month, so that may be a good jumping on point.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up Superman when Mon started being in it, but dropped it because Robinson was going nowhere. sounds like i should give it another shot.

I dunno guys, has it picked up the pace or are we just loving it because of more Legionnaire goodness (and the fact that it's Jeckie, awesome)? Last question, how would you rate Jeckie's characterization under Robinson?

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by stephbarton:
Picked up Superman when Mon started being in it, but dropped it because Robinson was going nowhere.

I dunno guys, has it picked up the pace or are we just loving it because of more Legionnaire goodness

The latter I'd say. It's bait, no fish.

quote:
Originally posted by stephbarton:
Last question, how would you rate Jeckie's characterization under Robinson?

Jeckie hasn't been characterized really.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I really find this hard to manage. I mean, just reading the Previews promo text, I often find it hard to see if this or that issue of Supes or Action or whatever is important to me as a Legion fan.

I started buying Superman with #685 and stopped again with #690, part because I thought it was just mediocre stuff, part because Mon-Els role seemed to be not that big at all - and part because he was no longer even mentioned in Previews!. Thus, I obviously missed Sensor Girls revelation in #691. Go figure!

But I just refused to buy the other titles of this recent "Codename Patriot" (come on,, how lame does that sound?) Supes crossover, so instead of buying more, I chose to buy less - did the same with the Titans when that promising-to-be-lame "Deathtrap" thing came up.

Now with the next storyline being called "Man of Valor" and focussing on Mon-El, I guess I'll have to return again. On the other hand, I skipped Secret Origins cause I had my Legion appearance there and all in all, this book feels so much like the Smallville TV show that I feel it's better to watch the original (fourth season right now, lots to catch up I know).

Justice League, yeah I'm gonna pick up that one again (skipped it with #26) - hey, there's not only Mon-El but STARFIRE coming to the team, and that is really on of my all-time favorites...

Action Comics I do not touch at all, even the tie-in into "Man of Valor". I always went by the rule "you can only buy so much", though in recent times, I rather have to change it into "you can only read so much" due to time issues (BUYING comics cheap on German Ebay is no problem at all [Smile] )

I really appreciate you guys giving information which issues are essential to AR Legion collectors though - so let me finish this post to hunt down that sprocking #691 on Ebay... [Wink]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a preview of Superman 694 on DC's the Source http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/11/19/mon-el-makes-his-metropolis-return-in-superman-694/

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Superman 694:

Click Here For A Spoiler"LOOK-- --HE'S EATING THE CAR!"

[Matter Eater Lad]

There'll be no living with Lash, now. [Smile]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KB
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KB           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Superman 694:

Click Here For A Spoiler"LOOK-- --HE'S EATING THE CAR!"

[Matter Eater Lad]

There'll be no living with Lash, now. [Smile]

It was great [Smile]
Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
SUPERMAN: Officially added to my pull-list!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it goes without saying that I'm loving the exposure that Mon is getting these days. Since he's my all time favorite superhero (superhero not just Legionnaire) I've been picking up all the Supes books on the off chance that he'll be shown. Because of that, I've gotten so much Legion goodness. Good golly! And with this month's Supeman (694) I immediately thought "Oh my god! Lasher is going to have palpitations!

Great fun these days.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.