Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Adventure Comics #6/509 Previews/Spoilers (Spoilers!) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adventure Comics #6/509 Previews/Spoilers (Spoilers!)
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Did not see a thread, and since the Legion Time Sphere got a mention...I thought I'd put this here.

Good issue that wraps up this story. A drawn out story to be sure. Overall though, it was a decent read.

Liked seeing Krypto used properly in this book. Not many writers seem to know what to do with him, but Geoff does. Manapul draws a great Krypto. Playful in one scene (running from the dinosaur) and very upset looking in the next (staring at Lex after returning from said Dino adventure.)

All this to prove that Conner is not like Lex, and that yes...Lex can be that cruel. Also seems to be setting up Brainiac's Daughter. That should be interesting down the line.

Glad that this is done though, a few more issues till we get the Legion back in these pages.

Anyone get it and read it?

[ January 15, 2010, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The campfire scene was really cool as well. They should do this every now and then with these characters. Give them a few pages to just be friends.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoy Conner now.
I like his relationships with the the Titans, Krypto, Lar and Ma Kent.

It's too bad that Conner doesn't appear to have inherited any of Lex's intelligence (I'd say Clark's too, but he really hasn't been shown to be all that smart, lately, imo.)

Conner obtained ALL of the ingredients and stood there watching Lex put them together, but he doesn't have a clue how to make the medication.
It can't be a terribly complicated process since Lex made the 'stuff' in Lori's kitchen.
sigh
Am I asking too much?

If Conner can't figure the formula out on his own, couldn't he take that borrowed time bubble (or borrow it again), regather the ingredients and take the whole mess, along with Lena, to Brainy 5?

Anyway.

Krypto was cute, and well used, although he should have realistically ripped off Lex's/Brainiac's arm(s), or at the very least, grabbed him/him by the throat until one/both of them was knocked out.
Those are a dog's instinctual moves, really and Krypto is physically super fast & strong and Lex/Brainiac aren't.

That doesn't even take into account Krypto's superior intelligence, which we've seen when he gathered all of Conner's enemies and plopped them in the yard.

Consistency.
I just want consistency (and good science) from writers.
Especially the SAME writer, on the same characters.

Sorry.
I seem to have griped quite a bit and I didn't start out that way with these comments.
[Frown]

Oh, well.
[Krypto]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Good points on consistency though Shady. The problem with Krypto is that he is smarter than the average dog, and super powerful. I think Geoff has handled him best over the years.
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
I think Geoff has handled him best over the years.

Oh, absolutely.
No contest!
And Manapul is just a phenom with Krypto!
Beautiful and unforgetable.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the issue ... like "Metropolis 900 miles" from Superman #9, it portrays Luthor's "evil" well ... Conner does come off a bit dim but is such an appealing character ... I find him more interesting than Kal at times ... Manapul draws an amazing Krypto ...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
If my testtube daddy/evil doer were super intelligent, I might just want to keep mine as an ace up my sleeve, for that mega summer cross-over that finally gets around to shining a spotlight on me and let the pooch have the glory for now.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Krypto was the real star of this story arc. The campfire scene where he's resting his head & paw on Superboy's thigh was perfect.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Johns and Manapul did a more than sufficient job of reintroducing Superboy to the DC universe in the Adventure Comics relaunch. Too bad the story got derailed a bit by the Darkest Night issues. Manapul gave us some images that will endure. Conner's relationship with his Young Justice and Teen Titans cohorts was handled well and with respect. Conner came across as good hearted, determined, and a bit dull witted. He has lot to learn, but he is trying. There is a lot of potential here. I hope he finds a home in another magazine soon. Most surprising, the Superboy and Krypto relationship was updated and presented in a manner that works for modern audiences.
Kudos, gentlemen. Best of luck on the Flash.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Brainiac's Daughter? If only Duela Dent's DNA were incorporated into this character, she'd be a favorite, sight unseen.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This issue was an adequate end to Superboy's struggle between his two 'parents'. Too bad so much else (Smallville, the Legion) won't see print as Johns and Manapul might've intended. I'll miss them on this book. I hope they can capture the same spirit in THE FLASH.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The art here didn't seem as clean as in issue one. It's still very nice to look at, and the storytelling is still perfect for the tale Johns' gives us.

I like that this book has been about the small moments and not big brawls.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
I quite enjoyed the issue but I was left feeling like "is that it?!?!"

It seemed that six issues was a really long time to get us nowhere.

Why did Conner think Lex might just be misunderstood in the first place?!

The best thing about this whole series is Krypto. I hope he stays around!

More ranting here.

http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/2010/01/adventure-comics-6-so-thats-it.html

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Of course I'll be thrilled when the LSH takes over but I can't say I didn't enjoy the Superboy arc and even the Prime/BN issues.

Good and fun stuff.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't in a rush to read this, but quite enjoyed it! A good way to show what a nasty person Lex is, just demonstrating his power over people.

Where does he usually get his Whisk Fern Tea? Does he have his own time travel tech? Or is he just acting like he drinks it regularly?

Nice one-panel visits to Bizarro World, Paradise Island and Atlantis.

Krypto is wonderful, he's acting like a real dog, and so perfectly drawn!

My first thought at the final panel was Brainiac 4. How she gets the 4 can be worked out later.

One criticism: the standard kiss-it-and-make-it-better solution, Bruce Wayne's money to help the victims.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.