Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » JMS Legion in "Brave and the Bold"

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JMS Legion in "Brave and the Bold"
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's the article:
JMS Legion story in "Brave and the Bold" (scroll down)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Aiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Oh, my, GAWWD!

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
JMS is probably one of the few writers who could pull off this kind of story. There were character bits on Babylon 5 that were hilarious yet they did not demean the characters. Rather, the comedy worked because it sprung from the characters' reactions to the situations they found themselves in. (I'm thinking of Ivanova learning to speak Minbari or her explanation for Garibaldi's hair falling out.)

JMS refered to his work on Thor as a "comedy of manners," didn't he? Now he refers to this story as a "comedy of errors." He seems to enjoy the comedic aspects of super-heroes.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Legion of Substitute Heroes and Inferior Five!?!?! owwwwowooooowwwwhhooooooo !!!! LSH and Doom Patrol? Hmmmmmm. oh boy can't wait to get those books! Hope to see Infectious Lass!
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Rather, the comedy worked because it sprung from the characters' reactions to the situations they found themselves in. (I'm thinking of Ivanova learning to speak Minbari or her explanation for Garibaldi's hair falling out.)

and having sex to confirm a treaty.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Brave & Bold has been FANTASTIC since JMS took over. Even well-respected Legion World poster Cobalt Kid thinks so! [Big Grin]

It's easily one of DC's best books right now and any of you not buying (and judging by the sales that's a fair few of you) should really check it out.

Especially now that we're getting a double dose of Legion goodness. These two issues sound awesome!

I love the chances JMS is taking on this book. And I've always wanted to see the Rashomon technique used in a comic. You'd think it would be a fairly easy/common device to use in this medium but I've never seen it before (someone else may have though). Having the LSuperH and the LSubstituteH as our two viewpoints of the same story should make for entertainment gold.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Aiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Oh, my, GAWWD!

I thought of you when he said "Lex Luthor and the Boy Commandos". It's not a bad thing either. [Smile]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. I don't know what to say. Except...

Does anyone have any scans for Questar and Marella Tao's Who's Who entries?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Aiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Oh, my, GAWWD!

I thought of you when he said "Lex Luthor and the Boy Commandos". It's not a bad thing either. [Smile]
Didn't Mark Waid just have the Boy Commandos in one of his issues? I can't remember who they were partnered with - Flash maybe?

I still remember it as being a good story though.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This looks so awesome I hardly have the words! I can't wait for these issues. Blacula is totally right--this is one of the best series on the market right now and JMS is delivering in every way possible. A quick view of the thread in Gym'll's will give you the last few pages of reviews of the first five issues of his run and they all are different ways of saying just how terrific his writing has been thus far. I can't wait for him to use the Legion (and with the Doom Patrol--really cool!). I also think its pretty damn ballsy to use the Subs and I applaud him for that. He's one of the very few creators I trust to pull it off.

Blacula - Waid had the Boy Commandos team up with the Blackhawks early in his run. I think it was one of his best stories (it was one of several stories within the issue and the best of that issue IIRC).

JMS's Brave & Bold is currently the great smoking gun piece of evidence that proves there are still really excellent superhero comics being put out by the Big 2--and done in mostly single issue stories. Now he'll prove to Legion fans that there are still excellent Legion stories being done.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
This is great news!!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.