Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » How many Legionnaires have their own personal nemesis? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How many Legionnaires have their own personal nemesis?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Smith's The Wealth of Nations is really the foundational text of modern economics, and the classical statement of "free market" economics. Ironically, though his name is associated with "capitalism" [a term of much more recent vintage], he was opposed to much of what we think of as "capitalism" today, however. For example, he was opposed to corporations and had major concerns regarding the tension between the economic efficiency of specialization and its negative consequences on civic virtue. And while one of major ideas is that, as a general rule, people acting in their own self-interest in the economic sphere will produce results that are generally beneficial to everyone, one should not think of him as a naive Ayn Rand-style egoist, as is made clear in his other major work, The Theory of Moral Sentiments.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Merriam Webster defines "nemesis" as "a : one that inflicts retribution or vengeance b : a formidable and usually victorious rival or opponent." Some of the above do not seem to apply to this definition.

Mordru abused Mysa when she was his wife; while this makes him a cad, he was (apparently) not motivated by vengeance.

Micro Lad participated in the capture and senstank deprivation of Violet for political, not personal, reasons.

I agree with you on the others....and in the case of Micro Lad vs Vi, it might be fairer to say she's HIS nemesis...she does definitely harbor a grudge against him over the sensory deprivation incident and has shown that she enjoys beating the crap outta him for it, whereas he doesn't seem to specifically hate her any moreso than the rest of the Legion..

I would definitely say Mordru and Mysa are each other's nemesis though...Mordru fits the second definition of that word to a tee, and I would argue that there have been more than a couple of stories where either Mordru or Mysa have been motivated primarily by vengeance on the other...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Superboy: Luthor

Supergirl: Satan Girl

Bouncing Boy: Hunter Jr.

Brainiac 5: Stargrave

Rond Vidar: Infinite Man, Universo

Mon-El: Timetrapper

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Merriam Webster defines "nemesis" as "a : one that inflicts retribution or vengeance b : a formidable and usually victorious rival or opponent." Some of the above do not seem to apply to this definition.

Chameleon Chief, for example, apparently had no personal reason to inflict vengeance on Chameleon Boy, nor was Chief all that formidable in his few appearances.

Ditto for Esper Lass and Saturn Queen, who were merely power counterparts of Saturn Girl...

I would definitely agree that some were better developed than others, but the whole "player on the other side" thing was already a huge part of the Legion before I started reading it. I always think of it as one of those things that can be done well, but too often, it isn't.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Karate Kid:Nemesis Kid
Timber Wolf:TYR
Sunboy:Dr.Regulus
Blok:League of Super Assassins
Brainiac 5:Computo,Omega
Colossal Boy:Talok the mute

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Colossal Boy: Starfinger 2

Sensor Girl/Projectra: Nemesis and or Emerald Empress

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Nemesis Kid is really Karate Kid's nemesis. Jeckie might have killed him, but he wasn't really her nemesis.

The Emerald Empress, on the other hand, fits the bill better at the close of the Baxter series.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Rather than list who's fought who and pushed each other's buttons, it might be more to the point to think about which *villain* would list a single Legionnaire as their 'nemesis', rather than the team as a whole.

That'd exclude some of those named, I think.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, I'd say Brainiac 5's greatest personal nemesis is...Brainiac 5! Fair or unfair?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
Honestly, I'd say Brainiac 5's greatest personal nemesis is...Brainiac 5! Fair or unfair?

Computo was of his own making and his battles with Pulsar Stargrave and Brainiac always have a hint of self loathing. Then there are the hormones! [Razz]

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.