Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Shadow Lass (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shadow Lass
Darutt
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darutt   Email Darutt         Edit/Delete Post     
Is anyone else worried what the characterization of Shadow Lass is gonna be like in the new series, If they move back to the Pre-Umbra days she's just gonna be a useless character crying over Mon-el all the time. Her character really stood out in the last 2 incarnations of the Legion as a very competent & independent person with some edge, I'm gonna miss that.
From: Saint John | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not worried, since Mon-el isn't currently dying of lead poisoning, but I can understand your apprehension.
At the start of his second run, Levitz' Shady was fabulous & heroic.(Great Darkness Saga & right after)
In the middle of his second run, she became a bit too catty for me.(First half of Baxter series)
Near the end, I wouldn't say she was wimpy, but the search for a cure became her only reason for being, and while that's certainly noble and heroic, perhaps it got annoying because it seemed to drag on for too long.
I'm hoping that in the current run, she and Night Girl are portrayed as a fierce and fearless GIRL-POWERful team!!

[ May 15, 2010, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: lil'rhino ]

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
When she started getting over the top catty is when I stopped enjoying her. The same could be said for Tinya. Hopefully we won't return to that level of cattiness.

I guess that's why i always preferred Nura and jeckie.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I just hope we get to see her in between all the focus on the founders and Green Lanterns and such!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
i didnt enjoy catty tinya and shadow lass. i had that in school didnt need to pay 75 cents for it.

yeah, shady is one of my favorite characters but she got overwhelmed by Mon-El back then. even though she was her planet's champion. hopefully if tehy renew the romance they will show how amazing and cool she is and is the equal of the uber Mon-El.

which was kinda starting to happen in the end of 5YL, when she had a mohawk.

didn't like insecure bitchy umbra from the archie series tho. did like sullen tortured umbra from legion lost. (after she was blighted)

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
 -
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
WOW

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Incredible work of art there, Nighty.

Anyway, Paul Levitz gave an interview on io9.com where he strongly hinted that the Shady/Mon-El relationship might be over*. So we might be seeing a more independent Shady in the new book.

* If indeed, it took place in this reality after all.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
As I said on FB, that watercolor of Tasmia is highly reminiscent of Kali, the Hindu Goddess of night, sex, change & death!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Wait... the Hindus have a goddess of sex changes? [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This rendition also reminds me of Storm from the X-Men.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Wait... the Hindus have a goddess of sex changes? [Wink]

Well, they do have like 10,000 gods, including...

quote:
Ardhanarishvara, the hermaphrodite form symbolizing the marriage of Shiva and Parvati

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The Lo3W presentation of Shadow Lass as being able to drain the yellow solar energy out of a Kryptonian (or Daxamite) really shifts the perception that Shady was in a mix-matched power dynamic with Mon.

She becomes, quite literally, able to shut him off like a light, which is kind of cool.

If her light negating / absorbing fields were shown as able to negate or dampen other types of radiant energy, such as blaster fire (and she should already be able to create an area in which laser weapons won't work...), it might serve to make her a bit more defensively impressive in a universe full of bad-guys who carry energy weapons, instead of pistols.

As for the really important part, her personality, I like that she sometimes came off a bit arrogant. She's *the* planetary champion of Talokk VIII, the equivalent of the entire Justice League, all rolled into a single strong-willed woman, for a *world.* Earth has thousands of super-people flitting about, and some of them, like Superman, have larger than life legacies, but the 'legacy' on Talokk VIII is that of her family, not some alien hero.

I could see her rolling her eyes at the raw ego and earth-centrism on display when fellow Legionnaires, often from diverse worlds with no connection to Superboy at all (and, increasingly being portrayed as pre-existing the 20th century!), get a bit fan-boy-ish about Kal-El.

Have they no pride in their own worlds? What about their own world's heroes? Just because the headquarters were paid for by an Earther (who turned out to be a Durlan anyway...), does that make it right to shun one's own culture and embrace the heroes of earth instead?

[Obviously, out of story, we know that the reason why earth-born or earth-raised heroes are the famous ones with legacies, is because that's where the comic books were written, and not about Vrgxlplat, the universe-saving Cnidarian from Slugor Six, but just because we haven't read any stories about a 23rd century Titanian or 18th century Durlan saving the universe and leaving behind a legacy of heroism that inspired generations of Titanians and Durlans to come, doesn't mean that those worlds didn't have heroes, who would mean every bit as much to them as Superman would mean to Earthlings.]

[ May 15, 2010, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
As I said on FB, that watercolor of Tasmia is highly reminiscent of Kali, the Hindu Goddess of night, sex, change & death!!

If all the Hindu Goddesses look like that, I might convert.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
This rendition also reminds me of Storm from the X-Men.

Odd that this gorgeous pic...

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
 -

...and the costume she's wearing also reminded me of Storm all of a sudden when it hadn't occurred to me before. It's obviously reminiscent of the look Tasmia bore during the Superboy/LSH era. Was Dave Cockrum, who created Storm, also the one who first drew Tasmia in that era's costume? The most obvious similarity between their looks was the tiara thingie holding their respective hair up.

Even more eerie is this post:

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
hopefully if tehy renew the romance they will show how amazing and cool she is and is the equal of the uber Mon-El...which was kinda starting to happen in the end of 5YL, when she had a mohawk.

Tasmia sported a mohawk at some point during 5YL? Who else do we know who had one (and apparently does again) for a long time? [Hmmm?]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.