Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Shadow Lass (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shadow Lass
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the idea of Shady's powers being effective defensively against radiant energy....it gives her something to do other than just making it dark, and it's a more original way of handling darkness powers than the typical comic book life-draining or black energy constructs.

I also think that the one definite way Umbra was an improvement on Shadow Lass as a character was in her fighting prowess. The only time off the top of my head I can think of having seen Shadow Lass show any kind of fighting skill was when she faced Lady Memory and the Persuader in that one issue with Grev, and in an early issue of V4 where she beat the tar out of a probe.

I hope that we see Shady, Phantom Girl and Luornu as more accomplished hand-to-hand fighters in this series, it's something that I think fits them all really well.

I also kind of liked the big scythe thing that Umbra carted around on occasion....Tasmia is from a pretty brutal world, and while I don't necessarily want her turning into Xena, I think it would be cool if she busted out some awesome weapons skills every now and then and really took the Legion by surprise.

She is the champion of a barbarian world and she has no real offensive power; she should be in Batman's class when it comes to hand-to-hand combat IMO.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
I like the idea of Shady's powers being effective defensively against radiant energy....

I mostly just thought of it as an excuse / rationalization / fanwank for why a non-invulnerable person runs around in a darn bikini, in a future full of energy weapons and explosions and stuff.

Still, as you say, it is a new twist on shadow powers that doesn't go the easy 'darkforce' route.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Shady was shown a number of times to have powers effective in shielding from all forms a radiant energy.
Her issue with Tyroc and then later on the Science Astroid, to mention 2.

She also showed the ability to use her power to disorient and isolate the senses by using her powers to go through the optic nerve directly to the brain.
She did that back in the mowhawk days.

Umbra did it also against Mordru.

Umbra had something that Tasmia couldn't have for most of ther original run, the abilities of Lyddea Darkstar, her dotLEGION ancestress.
The power was not connected to the cave rite powers of darkness, but to genetic manipulation on her infant self.
It was an offensive black energy power that killed her mother and could crash through space cruisers, destroying them.

Umbra was also connected to the Dark Realm of the Shade and Obsidian during that time.

I totally prefer Umbra to Shadow Lass, in look and personality, especially after she mellowed some.
It was interesting to have someone who actually acted like a planetary champion from a long line of planetary champions.

I hope TPTB get her out of the bikini and into a fighting outfit.
I think that she should be a physically strong and skilled fighter with body and weapons, as well.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:

I totally prefer Umbra to Shadow Lass, in look and personality, especially after she mellowed some.
It was interesting to have someone who actually acted like a planetary champion from a long line of planetary champions.

I hope TPTB get her out of the bikini and into a fighting outfit.
I think that she should be a physically strong and skilled fighter with body and weapons, as well.

Agreed on all counts. Umbra kicked ass (though I did miss calling her Shady). Got so tired of SL doing nothing but hanging on Mon-El and being catty with PG in Levitz's earlier run. And her current costume is a joke. She looks like a lingerie ad, not a warrior.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
In fact, Shadow Lass was capable of fighting prior to the reboot.

I Googled up http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/4038.htm/ which has some interesting panels, including one where she punches out the Emerald Empress, and another against Lady Memory.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, but somehow Shady's fighting abilities didn't stick as much. Umbra, on the other hand, was shown as a capable fighter in almost every appearance. Guess that's why a lot of us see her as far more kick-ass.

I'd chalk it up to the cattiness.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Somebody said that Levitz mentioned that Shady and Lar are gonna be done with each other soon.

I don't know how I feel about that.
[Frown] [Smile] ?????

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Yes, but somehow Shady's fighting abilities didn't stick as much. Umbra, on the other hand, was shown as a capable fighter in almost every appearance. Guess that's why a lot of us see her as far more kick-ass.

I'd chalk it up to the cattiness.

I think there was also a really deliberate effort to make Shady a more defensive rather than offensive fighter. She very rarely actually took someone on to defeat them, but concentrated on protecting/hiding herself or others from the bad guys (not in a cowardly way, I think she was just portrayed as being more comfortable with indirect combat).

She was shown to be an effective fighter when it was necessary, and she never shied away from a challenge, but she preferred to use her powers to avoid taking it on directly.

Contrast that with Umbra, who was always a VERY direct combatant, and rarely used her darkness powers simply to hide from someone..

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.