Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Faucher vs Portela ... Who's the better inker?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Faucher vs Portela ... Who's the better inker?
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Legion #2 really made it obvious that there's a definate difference is style from one inker to the other, but which one is better? Everyone will have their own opinion.

For me Faucher's style compliments Cinar's far better (and in just two issues they have grown on me in terms of capturing the essence of the Legion and their futuristic world).
There's a realness to the blend of their two styles that's caught on with me.

Portela's work on the second part of issue #2 was, for me, a bit too cartoony and the faces too exaggerated in spots.
He might make an ok fill-in artist from time to time though, but only if he's inking Cinar's pencils.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula Blacula has just turned 40
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue #2 had two different pencillers each with their own inker right? That's what I thought anyway.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes. Portela pencilled & inked pp 20 thru 26. He didn't ink any of Cinar's pages.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
That's correct, he did not. He inked his own pencils......
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Whoever walks out of the dungeon of flames is best.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Yes. Portela pencilled & inked pp 20 thru 26. He didn't ink any of Cinar's pages.

A stand in artist in #2 does not bode well for the artwork on this title

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula Blacula has just turned 40
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ If an equally good stand-in artist is what it takes to keep this extra-size book on time every month then I'm cool with it.

If it was some sloppy, rushed to meet a deadline hack-work though, then I'd be more concerned.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Very few modern artists, outside of Mark Bagley, can draw 30 pages a month. (Heck, most can't draw 22!) For my money Portela's a good second if he sticks around. However, I think the larger question is with a cast of around 30 characters, are we better served with a 30 page story with two artists or with a 22-page main story by Cinar with an 8-page backup focusing either on a subplot or a solo adventure with Portela art?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Element Lad
Reservist reporting for duty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Element Lad   Email Element Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Even for a solo adventure, 8 pages doesn't give you space to tell much of a story. As a general rule, I'd vote for weaving the subplots into the main story.
From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Considering the pace of storytelling for much of the Threeboot I think that many of those issues could have been condensed to a lot fewer pages. If anyone can write an 8 page story it's Paul Levitz.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.