Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Wildfire (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wildfire
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Wildfire....Do we ever see him punch anyone ever? I don't recall any such moments, he always blasts with his enti-energy. In The Legion of Super-Heroes #283(January 1982) its mentioned that he's able to perform amazing feats of strength, agility and metamorphosis. How much of these powers is he considered to have lost after emptying out his containment suit when he fought the Devourer (Agriculture eating machine)? He can't metamorphosis any more and duplicate other powers, but is he still considered to have the Super Strength, Agility and Invulnerability. Seems to me he does, but I would like to clairify that.

This sentance I read in the Encyclopedia Galactica section of this web site.

"He waived personal combat training, as none of his containment suits allow for complex enough movements necessary for effective use of the more sophisticated techniques."

Has anyone every seen Wildfire get into a brawling Hand-to-Hand fight? The above indicates he hasn't had any training in hand-to-hand combat.

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think at one point it's stated that he's the strongest Legionnaire, short of the Kryptonian class members. I don't recall anything offhand of him engaged in hand-to-hand combat, but I believe there are examples of him lifting heavy stuff.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Who needs to fight hand to hand when you can blast 'em with Anti-Energy?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember recently re-reading Drake's first appearance (as ERG-1) and how he displayed more super powers than I ever saw him shown as using as Wildfire. I can't remember them all offhand, but there sure was an ASS of them! Anyone know why that changed after he was brought back? (Other than the writers not wanting him to become Mr. Deus Ex Machina, of course!) Any in-comic explanation or, contrarily, examples where he DID use that range of powers again?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The in-comic explanation was that only Professor Vultan's original Wildfire suit gave him that range of powers. Brainiac Five's duplicate suits didn't work as well.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
I've started statting Wildfire for my Legion rpg and it raised some questions. I was inclined to give him a mid level invulnerabilty, mid level super agility, though higher when flying and some super strength based on the way I recall seeing him presented.

The strength ranges to consider are:
Good/6: 320 lbs.
Excellent/7: 640 lbs.
Remarkable/8: 1,280 lbs.
Astonishing/9: 2,560 lbs
Heroic/10: 5,120 lbs.
Powerful/11: 10,240

What would you folks suggest based on our readings?

Ive never really seen him display great agility unless he was flying, anyone else have a different opinion?

I guess I've always saw him as one of the more powerful Legionnaires, thus as long as its reaconably accurate I'd like to think he is a little below Ultra Boy, but still one of the top guns.

Opinions?

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crymsun Kid
Subs Auxillary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crymsun Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Crymsun Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The only time I can remember him punching anyone was during the Great Darkness.. he punched the Servant Guardian of the Universe.. although he had yellow anti-energy surrounding his fists at the time.

--------------------
Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/

From: Korugar | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
In S&LSH #225 there is a mostly shadow brawl between Wildfire and Superboy and in the same issue it is implied he has some sort of telescopic vision still which he uses to track down the Resource Raiders.

Then S&LSH #227 he and Superboy are shown punching Pulsar Stargrave into a nearby sun.

[ July 09, 2010, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: stuorstew ]

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I think when he was in that alt-dimension with Jacques and the fake Lyle, he *may* have taken a swing at Jacques. Of course, he seemed to be in human form at the time.

otherwise, I can recall no punch.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
He originally had Kryptonian level powers *and* could grow like Colossal Boy, in addition to shooting ridiculously powerful energy blasts, in the first suit. I think he even went intangible and walked through a wall, at one point. He might as well have been the Composite Superman...

The suits made by Brainy, a million times smarter than the guy who made that first suit, are inexplicably incapable of any of these stunts. [Smile] [From a 'meta' narrative standpoint, he pretty much needed to be toned down.]

But he has no need to punch someone.

He shoots (and is made of) energized anti-matter plasma. Anti-matter explosions are four orders of magnitude more powerful than nuclear fission, making one of those explosion where his whole 'body' blows out of his uniform 10,000x the potency of a nuclear warhead the size of his body. (or ten orders of magnitude greater than chemical explosives, so assuming an 180 lb. 'mass' he'd detonate with the force of 1,800,000,000,000 lbs (or 900 million tons) of C4. (Note that these numbers assume that he is in a place with material for his anti-energy to react with. In the vacuum of space, he'd make much less of a boom, as the free-floating atoms of hydrogen and such would be few and far between. The results might be more like a hand grenade, than an atom bomb... He'd explode nicely in atmosphere, and even more spectacularly in denser atmospheres, such as underwater.)

In Drake's case, being 'the most powerful Legionnaire' has nothing to do with how much he can bench-press.

If anything, punching someone could be a bad idea, as he could crack open the gauntlet of his containment suit on a suitably tough-skinned opponent (like the Silver Slasher) and, after the explosion, be helpless.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I DO remember that punch with Superboy against Pulsar Stargrave!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
The suits made by Brainy, a million times smarter than the guy who made that first suit, are inexplicably incapable of any of these stunts. [Smile]

I always found that odd too ... but then Wildfire was one of those characters I tried not to think too much about in terms of plausibility ... he was one of my favorite during the original Levitz/Giffen run ... the scene when he blew himself up after Dawny left to seek her soulmate always stuck with me ...

But, to stay on topic ... I don't remember off-hand if he ever punched anyone ...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

As the Stargrave punch with Superboy was mentioned, only then did I recall it. I'm just trying to stat the character for the game and my research was lacking. I had always considered him to be one of the more powerful Legionnaires and I'll having to categorize him in a grouping based on overal power, skills, and traits. I'd like him to be put in the highest of these four groupings if possible, along with Superboy, Supergirl, Mon'el, Ultra Boy and maybe Blok. That is of coarse if wildfire appears to be in the same league as the rest of them.

The next group below that would be individuals such as the three founders, maybe Element Lad and Sun Boy or Star Boy as well.

--------------------

future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone ever wonder how Drake would make out power-wise if the energy that makes up his unstable form were put to use other than in a human form body containment suit to act as a hero (by his own choice)?

I mean if you think about it he could basically "possess" the circuitry of a interstellar battle cruiser, let's say, and turn it into a powerful mega monster battlecruiser capable of now quickly dispatching any invading unknown alien forces, etc.
Or how about assist a scientist by donating his energy into an instrument designed to, oh I dunno, cut through the core of a planet or sun or something? Can you imagine how Wildfire could influence any man-made instrument by amping up its power level?

I wonder why Drake was never utilized in this fashion in any past stories. Maybe no writer has thought to do so yet. Maybe someone should.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember a reference to him being one of the most powerful Legionnaires during the Earthwar story when he, Ultra Boy, Mon El and Superboy "contained" an explosion by surrounding the bomb.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.