Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Fabian talks about death and the Legion Lost characters. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fabian talks about death and the Legion Lost characters.
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Bwahahahahahahaha

He puts it so simply it's funny.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/fabian-nicieza-legion-lost-deadpool-111109.html

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Can't wait for the Tellus-narrated issue. We've had precious little deeper characterization of Tellus.

Not as enamored of snarky writers being snarky towards the fanbase for actually caring about scenes they themselves have crafted (if he didn't want anyone to react to that scene, why did he write it? really?), but, meh, he'll figure out eventually not to mock people for reading his stuff.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Thoughts: geez newsarama, would it KILL you to actually get the names of the dead characters right? We're only 3 issues in, there's no excuse for getting things wrong at this point [Razz]

I am actually really glad that Fabian brought up the idea that he originally wanted them to contact Superman after a few days, which is a completely reasonable thing for them to do. It's still silly that they haven't, but good to know it's interfering editorial and not bad writing...

I like that he sounds so excited every time he talks about these characters and this series. I really feel like this has potential to be as good as his New Warriors or Thunderbolts writing was when it was at its best. [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read that interview.... Wow. He comes across as a completely snarky, unprofessioinal, jerk. Not impressed at all.
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
If he is being bitchy, I am not reading it.

I don't take Gates or Yera's deaths lightly at all and don't want to be mocked for that.

(even if I really do think they will be back)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Long and short of what I read was him saying that he 'killed' a shape shifter and a teleporter...in a comic. wink wink. In other words, he 'killed' the two characters that can return the easiest.

Made it very clear that they will be returning at some point.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Originally posted by NoLongerLegion:
Just read that interview.... Wow. He comes across as a completely snarky, unprofessional, jerk. Not impressed at all.

I thought he was a little snarky with the death issue stuff, but it was more of a funny snarky...like 'duh, they'll be back' type thing.

As for the rest of the interview...I thought he was fine. But mileage may vary I guess.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Dev, that does sound like he's letting us know they will be back... now I am happy, and will read it!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry, he comes across as snarky to me. I don't think many of us really believed that Gates and Yera wouldn't be back. If anybody did, I guess the writer thinks they are really stupid. Nice. So, why bother opening the series by creating the illusion that they were killed to begin with? Just to get a rise out of fans?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Snark aside, it's totally worth reading.

He's got a lot of neat ideas, and with just seven Legionnaires to focus on, and an intent to make this an ongoing series and not just a six month event, he seems really keen on developing the characterizations of these seven, and taking them further than they've gone before. (Which, for Tyroc and Tellus, will be easy. For Dawny, Drake and Brin, he's got to work to differentiate them from the decades of previous characterization (which, for Drake and Dawny, has been mired down in their star-crossed romance for so long that it's hard to remember the last time either one had a scene where they weren't talking about, thinking about or interacting with each other).

I'm not in love with his characterization of Timber Wolf (more Wolverine clonage, IMO), but I'm eager to see him work with Tellus, in particular.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

From what I read Jerry, the point was to start the team off in a totally desperate situation. Taking out two members, that everyone know will come back was a way to throw the team of kilter from the beginning.

Fabian seemed more shocked that there are fans ranting against how he killed two characters, when he himself thought it was very obvious that those two especially would be back.

Other parts of the interview seemed to show a bit of frustration that he had to change his plans around to fit in to what DC editorial (re: Didio - especially if other reports are believed at all about his handling of DC Comics and micromanaging them into the ground.)

He has had to take his plan and reconfigure it...also, given the endings of various other DCnU #1's, it would not surprise me at all to eventually find out that they wanted the Legionnaires to be blowed up real good in the first issue.

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
If we're supposed to think "they're a shapeshifter and a teleporter, so they probably survived", shouldn't the characters think the same thing?

Especially with Wildfire there. Wildfire's *introduction* was a story where everyone thought he "died" but he was really still alive.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno about snark. I read it as something more like a "hint, hint" tone. Maybe he's a little exasperated, but given the editorial meddling I can forgive him that.

I'm really excited to pick up the rest and see how Dawnstar, Tyroc and Tellus "narrate" their issues. Yera and Gates too, when they finally come back for good. Hopefully he'll keep alternating between these 7.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
If we're supposed to think "they're a shapeshifter and a teleporter, so they probably survived", shouldn't the characters think the same thing?

Especially with Wildfire there. Wildfire's *introduction* was a story where everyone thought he "died" but he was really still alive.

Not to mention that (not that I believed it for a second) mere months ago DC announced that the 'revolving door' of death in their comics was being closed and that barring really extenuating circumstances DEAD MEANS DEAD.
So the Jerk has the nerve to be snarky and suggest that those that did believe the characters were dead are some how at fault for believing this? Then there is the really cowardly and unprofessional way over at the DC boards that he more or less blamed the Artist for the nasty 'corpse licking' scene that grossed some readers out: "I wrote the scene as it appeared in print, but we had two different art versions, one tasting, one sniffing.
I am officially on record as being fine with the sniffing version, but clearly, Brian is an even sicker puppy than I am. As for Yera, no, she didn't murder anyone. Red Rage did."
Typical insensitive to the readers (aka Those Without Whom He Would Have No Career) and willing to back track in an instant when confronted on it, DC writer.
Jerk.

[ November 14, 2011, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: NoLongerLegion ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I read the interview before reading any of the above comments. I thought he was funny and winsome. Nothing seemed snarky to me.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.