Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Lost 6.... (Reviews and Spoilers) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legion Lost 6.... (Reviews and Spoilers)
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
I like this title but I really like some of these characters. Tyroc and Dawnstar were the first members I got to see join shortly after I started reading Legion so they both have a soft spot in my heart. It's nice to see something different being done with them, or in Tyroc's case, being used at all.

Things I wish we could see:

1. Timber Wolf using more acrobatics

2. Timber Wolf and Dawnstar becoming a couple

3. Other heroes getting involved in the hypertaxis situation ( Yeah, I know it's coming.)

4. Infectious Lass!

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought Gates was merely injured, but his undamaged hand has only two "fingers" while his damaged one has four. They also look completely different... Am I missing something? I hope the next issue finally reveals what happened to Gates.

Loved seeing Dawnstar kick ass; the debate between Tyroc and Wildfire; and Timber Wolf both kicking ass AND greeting Gates.

And I agree, would love to see Drura join up!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I've paired Dawnstar and Timber Wolf in my thoughts, posts and art projects before, but I've also done the same thing with her and Tyroc.

I'd love to see her with either one of them.

And I really don't want to see Gates morph into a chicken.
[No]
Great catch on the hands, IB!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, I'm kind of glad I had already decided to drop this title after Fabian leaves, because I didn't really love this issue so much. It bugs me to say this because I have been a huge fan of this series since it started, but I just ain't feelin' it no more.

I am really loving Fabian's characterisations of the individual team members and it was great to see them being really effective at what they do for a change, but everything that happened in this issue could easily have been covered in half the pages.

In fact, what has happened over the past 6 issues? Everything that has occurred so far really should have been wrapped up in the first couple of issues. It's not an epic storyline that has taken place, it's just establishing the setting for the series...and you shouldn't need to take half a year of publishing time to establish your heroes' setting.

Alastor has done nothing to endear himself as a recurring villain/antagonist....he's just a plot device with deus ex machina powers. Boring.

I don't know what the deal is with how interconnected the superhuman community of the new DCU is, but this issue's guest star arbitrarily declaring time travel to be a one way thing makes absolutely no sense at all when you consider that he must have picked up Tyroc's memories of Superman having been associated with the Legion when he was younger.

All in all, I feel like this series started off with a bang and then kind of whimpered away towards the end....maybe it's not that surprising though; the Legion being stranded in our time makes for an interesting story every now and then, but I have to question how anyone thought it was going to be enough on its own to sustain an ongoing series....

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The premise had challenges from the beginning, but with editorial cooperation and strong writing, I think it could have rocked hard.

The nature of time travel had to be changed, to keep the Lost team 'lost,' which has ripple effects to titles involving other potential time-travelling characters like Booster Gold or Etrigan.

Alastor has to either be beaten, or remain a recurring threat, with an explanation as to what happens after and / or how his presence interacts with the rest of the DCU. Is he still running around, and, if so, are the Justice League or Stormwatch or NOWHERE or whatever trying to stop him or, at least, stop the plague he's spreading?

The plague itself becomes an issue. If it's randomly mutating people, ideally, with the whole DCU relaunch thingie, various super-characters with powers derived from the hypertaxis plague should be all over the place, perhaps explaining where, for instance, people like Skitter are coming from, or the boom in teenaged metahumans all of a sudden.

It's a great sort of 'shared origin' place to come from, but I'm not sure the rest of the DCU writers were on board with it, making it seem like Marvel, where, for many years, the X-Men seemed to live in a radically different world (where the government regularly sent giant killer robots after it's own citizens) than the Avengers or Fantastic Four (where there were superhero parades and even freaky-looking *mutant* superheroes like the Beast were treated like rock stars and celebrities).

Alastor's power level also doesn't really seem to make much sense. He 'shapechanges so hard it creates a shockwave?' Really?

Watch me put this book down so fast it makes the air catch on fire. Really.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm afraid I won't be able to 'put it down', fast or any other way.
sigh

The Titans/Superboy/LOST/Ravagers crossover would seem to suggest that DC is going to use at least a few of the hypertaxis creations in the rest of their books, or maybe SOME of their other books.
[shrug]

The virus has been shown to be airborne, and probably touch, but they haven' shown conclusively that anyone passes it along but Alastor, although they probably do or it would be too easy to contain once he was found to be the originator.
It will be interesting to see if J'Onn gets it from Brin and/or Yera.

Also, Alastor might be dangerous, but his morphs aren't that powerful. I mean, against a Martian Manhunter or a Superboy or a etc.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
J'Onn seemed very cold.
Is that a 52 'thing' because he never seemed to be that withdrawn in the past boots, did he?

He's been booted out of the JL's history and sent over to be the token DCer in the Authority Stormwatch.

Enough to make anyone grumpy.

IMO, Stormwatch is the best new 52 book that I've read so far. And I'm intrigued by Jonn's slight recharacterization and slightly colder and more enigmatic personality.

Just to explain to those who aren't reading that book (yet), Stormwatch is a secret vanguard solely against alien threats. It doesn't belong to any nation, but some sort of mysterious executive committee or somesuch where you have to technically be dead to belong (in fact, nobody outside of the team even knows that it exists). And the group doesn't consider itself to be a superhero team, but a force of "professional" metahumans who don't play at fighting crime as amateurs but rather devote themselves to the serious business of protecting the earth from dire alien threats. Jonzz says that he can play the role of costumed superhero as necessary, but that his true (and clandestine) role in life is to serve Stormwatch.

Anyway, beyond this, I though that the latest issue of Legion Lost was a bit of a improvement over past issues.

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
At the risk of going off-topic I have to add that Stormwatch has members with the most original powersets I know of in mainstream comics. Where else can you find: a woman who can (and does) control the world's media; a prince of lies that hides that ability behind the fact that he is the world's greatest swordsman; and my own favorite: a guy in a suit and tie who communicates with (and is dependent on being in or near) cities? Truly unique stuff. I just hope they didn't kill off any of these in favor of more conventional meta types like Apollo (my least favorite cast member).

As far as Legion Lost goes, it is one of those books that I forget almost as soon as I'm done reading it. If I wanted that kind of experience I'd be a Marvel fan, not a Legion fan.

[ February 13, 2012, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: the Hermit ]

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
I wonder where the Earth organization got a Durlan from and was it a corpse when they got it or did they make it into one?

A possible DCNu version of Invasion maybe...

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Considering J'onn's past ties with the legion

Bouncing Boy & Duo Damsel's wedding *does that still apply to this legion in the future/past?

- his being RJ Brande in the reboot (that was the original plan)

- his coming to help Mysa at Dream Girl's request in the 5 year gap

...its very interesting to see him with part of the legion here. Other than Superman I think he's the only other member of the 21st century group of heroes to have major contact with them...I think Batman is only after him.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to say that the whole hypertaxis and Alastar storyline has mostly disappointed. Dawnstar, Wildfire and Timber Wolf are three of my favorite Legionnaires, but this storyline didn't really do anyone any favors.

I guess the point was to have some of the Legion in DCU continuity -- for those who never liked Legion because it was in the future -- and not tied into current events. Then, maybe people who liked LL would check out LSH. But the stories in LL just aren't that great.

When Fabes is on, he's on. But I don't think that was the case here. Don't see journeyman Tom DeFalco doing any better, but maybe he'll surprise me.

Both Legion titles have been very disappointing -- as is Star Trek and Origins. There is so much Legion on the shelf -- and sadly, the material is not deserving.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
... still lovin' this title. Much better than the main book, but not as good as Secret Origin.
I love Tyroc's personality & demeanor.
Brin's too.
Poor Tellus seems to be suffering the most. He feels everyone's pain acutely.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYG
Once a Legionnaire...always a Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MYG   Email MYG         Edit/Delete Post     
I personally don't care much for a 21st century based Legion title to be honest. One of the main attractions of the Legion for me was that they were based seperately from the "mainstream" which made them unique and a true universe unto themselves, without continuity issues. I love the characters, just not the concept. I would much rather Legion Lost were based in a "lost" pocket universe in the 31st century. I understand the marketing angel for readers of other titles, but the Legion's large oyal fan base never had the need to "recruit" I can't wait until this group of "lost" Legionnaires returns home!

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Unlike the regulat book, I am not at all happy with this spin-off. Don't see where it's supposed to be going. Too many action scenes, not enough characterization. Don't care for any 21st century agent stories, for Martian Manhunter and all this other "been ther, done that" stuff.

I'm dropping at least one DC title every month, this could be the next. Maybe I'll stay a little longer cause I believe it will be canceled soon anyway...

...what makes it worse is that there is a dumb crossover on the horizon. Certainly won't pay 5 bucks for a lousy Teen Titans Annual...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.