Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #6 Preview (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #6 Preview
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
This was a boring issue. The clear highlight was Nura picking up Thom and carrying him. It's impressive that she's that strong.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved it! Portela came back from his month off to turn in some beautiful work. Everybody looked great, lots of cool background detail and excellent coloring. I'm enjoying the relationship that is developing between Jan and Hadru. It really makes me wish that Jan and Condo had developed a friendship back in the day. Dragonwing's story, her sister and dog all have me intrigued. And yay, more Dominators. Things seemed to wrap up too quickly a couple of issues ago, so I'm glad to see that was more of a prelude and we still have the main event to look forward to.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
When they first appeared in the Legion Academy, I did not like Chemical Kid or Dragonwing. But now they are growing on me. It seems like going into the big leagues made them grow up. Chemical Kid is not all cocksure anymore and Dragonwing actually Click Here For A Spoiler called for help

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
This was a boring issue. The clear highlight was Nura picking up Thom and carrying him. It's impressive that she's that strong.

Haven't seen it, but back int he day they used to explain things like that as the effects of "Legion Combat Training". Plus Nura's power isn't physical so if they're trying to show she has the sense to put extra effort toward being fit, all the better.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:

Haven't seen it, but back int he day they used to explain things like that as the effects of "Legion Combat Training". Plus Nura's power isn't physical so if they're trying to show she has the sense to put extra effort toward being fit, all the better.
Flight rings!!!!

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Just as Mon-El has spent a lot of time getting used to 'action in the dark,' perhaps Nura has built up some muscle from gymnastic bedroom pursuits with a man who can increase his (or her) weight?
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It really makes me wish that Jan and Condo had developed a friendship back in the day.
That's the one thing that never made too much sense for me why did they not utilize them together better and more. I can only think of one time they shared a team together was when Jan was after Roxxas and Chemical King changed the gun's laser that Jan was gonna use on Roxxas.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
And that wasn't exactly using them together, was it?
[Frown]
I can see Jan making a few elements from other elements and Condo creating the catalystic combination to make something amazing from them.
sigh

Well, I got to read it and I found the suns on the thoughts from Dirk, even if they didn't make much sense, other than ironically.

I loved the dog and Dragonwing's family was interesting to me.
I can hardly wait to see where this goes, as well as finding out if Dirk is successful and what that will mean for that area of the Earth.

The head Dominian monster was right out of Star Wars or Startroopers or something equally weird, maybe Grimm.?
[LOL]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoyed this issue! It flowed quite nicely, and it's good to see that while the new recruits have injected some new blood into Levitz's writing, they're sharing the stage with the existing Legionnaires rather than stealing it.

The bit with Cham actually took me by surprise - well done!

The bit with Nura and Thom...I am still baffled as to why Thom needs physical therapy, but it's obviously not being used as an excuse to write him out of the book so I can deal with it. Nura carrying him doesn't bother me. She has used her flight ring to simulate increased strength in combat before, I don't see any reason she wouldn't think of it outside of combat.

The art was amazing again - from the lake of fire to the moody setting of China in the rain to the Dominion world, it was all dynamic and well-visualised. I was especially happy with the Dominion world given that I previously had been a little unimpressed with the way Portela did their ships.

Admittedly Dragonwing's sister was a lot less impressive as a threat than I was expecting her to be. It was good to see Dragonwing strutting her stuff anyway though.

Speaking of Dragonwing, is it just me or do we not ever actually see her power in effect? There have only been a few instances where we've actually seen her use her power at all, but I can't remember the last time I saw it actually having an effect anything like either acid or fire...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
There was a lot to like this issue, but I definitely found the Dragonwing section less compelling than it should have been. It felt like I needed a bunch of extra background to understand what was going on that just wasn't provided. Maybe this stuff will be filled in during the next issue, but I think it made this one less effective on its own.

I'm really hoping that at least some reference is made to Dragonmage as this story goes along, but I just kept thinking that he would be the perfect fit for this story.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
The bit with Nura and Thom...I am still baffled as to why Thom needs physical therapy, but it's obviously not being used as an excuse to write him out of the book so I can deal with it. Nura carrying him doesn't bother me. She has used her flight ring to simulate increased strength in combat before, I don't see any reason she wouldn't think of it outside of combat.

It doesn't bother me either. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I think it's awesome that Nura is depicted as being physically strong.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
I just love Portela. He's on track to rival Legion's top artists.

And I must give props to Levitz who always shows interesting things about 31st century Earth.

Dragonwing's sequence reminded me so much of Blade Runner, but considering her visual look was inspired from that movie that probably was intentional.

Another thing I liked was Dream Girl working because both Mon-El and Brainy were out. She's a born leader.

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Floatin' Hood & Holo-shades are growin' on me, but I ain't warmed up to Dragonbreath yet. Mebbe next ish.
Thom was smokin' hot!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Portelas artwork: Great, and still getting better!

Levitz' storytelling: Good, had fun reading, nice twist focussing on the "newbies".

I really like this new run, not too convoluted, not too much action, not too much been here, done that. To me it feels fresh and intersting.

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So I ***finally*** made myself read issues 3-6 just now. I did NOT hate them.

Nor was I jumping up and down with excitement.

It's gonna be impossible to top THE TERRA MOSAIC for a Dominators story, and I'd imagine topping THE GREAT DARKNESS and WHITE TRIANGLE storylines for a Daxamites-gone-bad tale will prove difficult as well. I'd like to see something different.

I *THOROUGHLY* enjoyed # 5... seeing everyone in one issue was a real treat, as was Walt Simonson's art (BLAST Jack Abel for making Simonson's 70s issue unrecognizable as SImonson art!) I enjoyed checking in with everyone and the hint that a Stone Boy story is coming up was nice. I've missed this kind of issues. It occurs to me that this may be the first time we have ever seen a Legionnaire blind stinkin' shitfaced drunk.

Not really that into the China/Phoenix/Dragonwing storyline but the Cham-dog was j'adoorable.

Portela's art is a delight.

My BIGGEST complaint is-- WHY was Shady depicted as passing out after using her shadow power in --issue 3 I think it was-- against Renegade? LAME SAUCE. Shades of 1960s Marvel Girl and Scarlet Witch.

I was actually afraid I would not like these issues at all; I'm glad that wasn't the case.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.