Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION;SECRET ORIGIN #6 (preview) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LEGION;SECRET ORIGIN #6 (preview)
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
From DC Source:
http://www.dccomics.com/galleries/legion-secret-origin-6-preview

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
I have thoroughly enjoyed every issue of this simply wonderful mini-series!
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
Decent end to a decent series.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Meh. Another mini-series with a story that might have been stretched to an over-size anniversary issue back in the 80s.

Tinya's characterization was a lot of fun, but otherwise this series was pretty much Dullsville.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Nice series overall, but the end was very anti-climactic. No big confrontation with the Time Trapper, he was just forced to flee as an unintended consequence, and named as an afterthought. No confrontation with the invaders, no idea of their nature or intentions, just closed off the wormhole.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Nice series overall, but the end was very anti-climactic.

which in this case might be a nice way to say "rushed" and "boring"!

besides, i really didn't feel the need to force the time trapper into the legion's origins. actually, i think the character should totally be forgotten, since it reminds of the confusing continuity reboots and deboots the legion suffered too many times.

i really wish levitz moved on and left the legion to someone new.

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
This series read as "the rug was pulled from beneath us. What DC Universe?"

Superboy and Supergirl are enough a part of any Legion origin that failing to have them actually join is a blatant "well, DC won't let us do a complete origin". The Trapper is bad continuity personified.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duck Call Lass
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duck Call Lass   Email Duck Call Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
In retrospect, I only read this series for the Querl/Tinya interactions.

I sort of miss the classic costumes, which are now officially out of continuity.

Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, we've never seen Tinya and Querl have much in the way of interaction before, so I like it.
It's new & shiny, she doesn't do anything disgusting or out of character, like Imra did in the retroboot.
I actually hope that's not really in the softbooted DCnU.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I quite liked this series, though I agree it was too long for what actually happened.

I'm annoyed that we didn't get an explanation of who the invaders were. I suspect that PL may be linking this to the Dominators arc in the main book.

the panel of Lu with the next candidates was interesting. I assume the middle two were supposed to be Superman and Brainy. On the right I am presuming were Shrinking Violet and Sun Boy but who are the two on the left (assuming we have ever met them)? Given the stars, the male could be Thom Kallor but the female I can't place. An unknown rejectee, possibly?

[ March 29, 2012, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Silver Age Lad ]

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:

besides, i really didn't feel the need to force the time trapper into the legion's origins. actually, i think the character should totally be forgotten, since it reminds of the confusing continuity reboots and deboots the legion suffered too many times.

I agree with this completely. Plus the fact that this storyline made him seem fairly inept overall. I'm not a big fan of the TMK retcon which made TTT responsible for the existence of the Legion, but that version at least made him seem uber-competent and therefore dangerous. His portrayal here made him seem kind of pathetic.

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:

the panel of Lu with the next candidates was interesting. I assume the middle two were supposed to be Superman and Brainy. On the right I am presuming were Shrinking Violet and Sun Boy but who are the two on the left (assuming we have ever met them)? Given the stars, the male could be Thom Kallor but the female I can't place. An unknown rejectee, possibly?

I'm guessing Tinya. If Brainy's not a member yet as of the issue's end, I assume she isn't either... which should drive continuity purists crazy.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimeTrapR           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by gone:
I have Extremely mixed feelings on this series. IF it had been issues #1-6 of the new Legion of Super-Heroes title following the Flashpoint Reboot, then I would be pretty happy with it despite the 'drug-out' story telling. I would even be looking forward to how things were going to play out from here. However, as a flash-back to the beginnings of the current version of the Legion, which is supposed to be the dirrect continuation of the previous version of the Legion, which was supposed to be the pre-Crisis version of the Legion with a few tweaks to fit the (then) current DCU history.... it totally Sucks. It raises more questions than it answers and yet again introduces a bunch of changes-for-change's-sake alterations to the Legion's (tenuous to non-existent) continuity. For me, that makes it is exactly the waste of time and money I feared it would be when the artistt was posting about it here berfore it was released. Sad.

I don't know that I'd call it a waste of time, it was interesting to see what would have been done. And considering all the "reboots" and the claim that this version is the Pre-Crisis version, the only true measurement for "mistake" or "changes" to what we thought we knew was the panel where the Legion is first introduced way back when Superboy first met the team.
The panel that had obscured heads of a bigger team than the founding 3, it seems Levitz simply made aware whom those heads belonged to all those years ago.
Leaving for everything that came after to come after.

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
Another legion lady smitten with the Dox I see. [Razz]

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Half a dozen assassination attempts on Brande got tedious for me and the repeated word motif became annoying. This felt like a few subplots that could've gone in the background of a meaty main story to fill up a couple of issues. Instead it was stretched out to fill 6. There was no sense of drama over blowing up the wormhole at all, and PG's instant return was no surprise whatsoever. The villains in all the Legion books have been pretty much bowling pin opponents for some time now. Stand them up, knock them down. Next, please. There's no sense of mystery, danger, or suspense at all. I enjoyed the art over all, but it was so obviously being stretched to fill space. Look at the panel where the robot thingy deposits the unconscious Brande in a chair. It takes 2/3 of a page for a scene that's really only worth about a 1/6 page panel. 2 pages later, we have Chame walking toward Mycroft taking up half the page. The rest of the issue is more of the same.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.