Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Broken Couples... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Broken Couples...
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
 -

Tasmia & Lar. Last time together... Legion Of 3 Worlds 3.

-
Though in the former continuity they broke after the Great Darkness Saga... everything seemed to indicate that they were together again in this retroboot.
Last time together in Adventure Comics 8.

-

Lydda & Rokk were looking like a couple joined still in Adventure Comics 9.

-

Yera & Gim, Happy together in Legion Of Super-heroes V6 06.

Who will be the next to break?

Tinya & Jo?
Nura & Thom?
Luornu & Chuck?
Imra & Garth?

Only the next writer will know it....

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
If they ruin Imra and Garth so help me God I will open five different cans of a$$ kicking on them and leave them in a ditch by the roadside.

...or burn them at the stake, I'm cool with whatevs.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
They would only break up Imra and Garth if they killed off the kids...only thing less sexy than boring married couples is boring single parents amirite </sarcasm>

And given DC's history with characters who are minors....geez we probably shouldn't remind them that Graym and Garridan exist [Frown]

If the Garridan/Validus reveal were done these days, I have no doubt that story would have ended with one of the parents being forced to kill him and the marriage dissolving over it [Razz]

Re the broken couples we've already seen....Mon&Shady and Gim&Yera are the only ones that really bother me. It never made sense to me that Ayla would go back to Brin anyway, and I think Cos & Lydda's breakup is a rare case where you can actually get more stories out of them as exes than as a couple (plus I think a lot of the breakup had to do with Rokk's over-dedication to the team, so once he learned to relax a bit they could always have gotten back together)

I didn't realise till it was pointed out that every single one of these couples broke up off-panel...that is some seriously lazy storytelling!!

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Brin & Ayla was a two-fer.

The got back together off-panel (between their last appearance and the Action appearance, IIRC) and then broke up again off-panel (between that appearance and their next post-Lo3W appearance).

I do not get the existential terror that Didio and Quesada seem to have over the concept of heroes in stable relationships. Spider-Man and Mary-Jane had to be broken up. Clark and Lois had to be broken up. Jan had to be killed off because some idiot thought that they couldn't write compelling Hank Pym stories while she drew breath.

It's a miracle that Reed and Sue remain married, after all these years.

The average comic book buyer is not a fourteen year old boy any longer, and it hasn't been that way for a long, long time. We're mostly grown-ups, and it's disingenous to state that we won't be able to identify with grown-up super-heroes who have had teh secks.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's supposed to be more that we can't identify with grown-up superheroes who have healthy stable relationships where they treat one another as equal individuals. Cuz you know, we're all emotionally stunted shut ins.

I seriously wonder what some of these guys are like in real life that they just can't deal with depicting any kind of adult experience in a healthy light... :\

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I got the impression that the editors of both companies had ugly divorces, and the thought of their heroic characters having happy marriages annoyed them. [Smile]
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm slightly reminded of the ending of Mrs. Doubtfire, where the parents didn't get back together because both actors, divorcees themselves, felt that it set an unrealistic precedent for children of divorced parents.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
I think it's supposed to be more that we can't identify with grown-up superheroes who have healthy stable relationships where they treat one another as equal individuals. Cuz you know, we're all emotionally stunted shut ins.

I seriously wonder what some of these guys are like in real life that they just can't deal with depicting any kind of adult experience in a healthy light... :\

I have some ideas about that. Makes me glad I never married one.

[Roll Eyes]

And we've had how many of these relationships conveniently end off-camera now? They're so lazy about storytelling and so hostile towards stable relationships that they can't even be arsed to make its demise a real part of the story. It's either explained in a way that makes zero sense or it's not explained at all.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I'm slightly reminded of the ending of Mrs. Doubtfire, where the parents didn't get back together because both actors, divorcees themselves, felt that it set an unrealistic precedent for children of divorced parents.

To be honest, that actually gives me more respect for the actors than I might have had otherwise.

In the past, breakups have been handled in the Legion-verse differently. I mean, I thought Brin was a jerk to Ayla and deserved to get dumped. Other fans feel differently. But at least the writer and editor gave us something plausible to work with no matter how we felt about it.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I never understood why Brin and Ayla were back together in the first place.

I can understand a fixation with the Silver Age, but presenting Ayla/Brin alongside Garth and Imra being married confused people, and Geoff Johns should've realized it.

It actually comes off as a little homophobic by having Ayla going back to Brin, and if he ever touched upon her previous relationship with Vi, would he have said she's bisexual or she was "going through a phase".

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

cleome46

Agreed.

I've always liked Ayla/Salu as a couple better than Ayla/Brin. At least they were together in the Simonson issue. But I guess there's no point in counting on that, either.

(I think Ayla probably is bisexual. Doesn't mean she couldn't be a faithful lover/wife to Salu.)

I admit that I sniffled a little bit when Ayla and Brin were being friends again in 5YG.

I think you can attribute the Ayla/Brin reunion to bad editing, personally. An awful lot of this nonsense is likely attributable to Editorial dropping the ball.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Braylet shippers have an easy fix for annoying continuity issues regarding Ayla's relationships! [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember in the 5YG Ayla had a few jealousies of the relation between Brin and Mysa.
Maybe she loved him still, in spite of being with Salu.
I think Brin can be a great lover of the current Projectra. They worked well in the 3boot.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

I liked 3boot Brin and Projectra, too.

--------------------

cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Braylet shippers have an easy fix for annoying continuity issues regarding Ayla's relationships! [Wink]

Get out of my brain, Ester!!11 [Mad]

(Unless you're ready to start paying rent.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.