Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Numbers in Legion History (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Numbers in Legion History
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Soooooooooo since I already asked the same question over in the Science Police forum, and this is now a duplicate thread, I was thinking let's just edit this thread and make it a game thread.

We start with #1 and keep counting up. Each number must have some sort of significance in Legion history.

I'll start in the post below - http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=001091&p=2#000015

Here's the Science Police thread btw -

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000299

I posted this in the Legion forum since it's Legion-y related, kinda.

The user titles list from our FAQ - http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=faq#usertitles

Posts Title
0 Applicant
24 Candidate
31 Honorary
58 Substitute
199 Reservist
247 Active
1000 Deputy
1958 Leader
2958 Legionnaire!
5000 Wanderer
10000 Time Trapper
100000 Miracle Machiner

Okay, so I get 247 - Adventure Comics 247, Legion's first appearance.

1958 was the year it was published, and 2958 adds 1000 years.

1000, 5000, 10000, 100,000 I get too.

What's the significance of 24, 31, 58 and 199 though? Do these numbers mean anything in particular in Legion history?

[ May 09, 2012, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure on 24 or 31, but I would think 58 is just an abbreviation of 1958 and 199 would be the issue of Superboy where the cover added the Legion of Super-heroes to the logo.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
31 might be the 31st century.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
wasn't 24 the membership cap in the early 70s?
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
^Actually, that was 25.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Malvolio:
. . . and 199 would be the issue of Superboy where the cover added the Legion of Super-heroes to the logo.

Actually, that was # 198.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
As I recall, the 5000 title was added most recently--and by most recently I mean at least four or five years ago--when He Who reached 5000 posts. Nightcrawler named it in He Who's honor. [Smile]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am a third of the way to being a Miracle Machiner

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Seems like Legionnaire should come before leader or deputy.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
As I recall, the 5000 title was added most recently--and by most recently I mean at least four or five years ago--when He Who reached 5000 posts. Nightcrawler named it in He Who's honor. [Smile]

Yep. That makes me the only LWer to have a user title named after him or her. [Yes]

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Seems like Legionnaire should come before leader or deputy.

Legionnaire should also be synonymous with "Active," I think.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Wow, interesting history on the titles. Was He Who the first to reach 5000 posts? [Smile]

So that leaves 24 and 199 possibly still without explanations, if we assume 58 is 1958 minus 1900, and 31 is 31st century.

Maybe I should just PM Nightcrawler and ask him [Razz]

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Wow, interesting history on the titles. Was He Who the first to reach 5000 posts? [Smile]

No, I was not the first, merely the most vocal. [Smile]

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

To clarify my responses above (and since the same question was asked on a different thread):

-- 25 was the cutoff for Legion membership, not 24. From Action Comics # 387: "You have 26 members! But according to Earth's law, all private clubs with more than 25 active members must pay full taxes!" (p. 3).

-- The Legion became co-stars of Superboy with # 197 and their logo was added to the front cover beginning with # 198. Issue # 199 featured Tyr's gunhand and Adam Orion as villains. No milestone is represented by that issue, although it does feature Bouncing Boy's final adventure before losing his power and marrying Duo Damsel.

I was around when the user titles were created, but I can't recall the rationale behind them. If 24 and 199 had been selected for those reasons, I or someone else would surely have pointed out the errors.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Here's what Nightcrawler said over on the Science Police forum - http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000299

So 199 is the only "unknown" number at this point.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.