Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH 12 Preview (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: LSH 12 Preview
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
THE GOOD:
The "ragtag team" kicked an awesome amount of ass. Very happy with Chuck, Lu, Nura and Thom's performance.

The art was excellent as usual. My hat goes off to you again, Mr Portela! [Smile]

THE BAD:
WTF was the point of the whole Sensor Girl thing? As a million other people have pointed out, the one thing Jeckie is famous for above all else is that she projects illusions. So who in their right mind would think her actions on their own would change the Council's minds?

The annoying thing about this is that it would be so easy to fix as well; just have a few Titanians on the Council to verify that what she was showing them was true and then it could have been a stroke of genius. Instead, it looks like Mon-El wasted all this time sitting on his thumbs when he didn't actually wait for the UP's approval anyway before heading off on his rescue mission. So what exactly WAS the point?

While I am not sick of Brainy, I am a little sick of not seeing the rest of the team. Glorith has been a member of the team for twelve issues now and hasn't been on a single mission. She is taking a spot on the team from any number of characters who are more loved by fans, and she's not even DOING anything with it! When's the last time Vi did anything? This kind of mission is tailor-made for the Espionage Squad, and seeing Vi or Tinya take out the Dominion's pet Daxamite clone-thing through a clever internal attack would have been more interesting than seeing Mon-El and Ultra Boy fly in for the umpteenth time and just beat things up again.

Comet Queen's betrayal last issue was kind of a big deal but she didn't even get a line in this issue. And with next issue being a focus on Brainy, I doubt we'll have any follow-up then either.

I'm also really really over Levitz's inability to wrap up a storyline properly. This has been a problem with literally every single multi-part story he's written since the start of the LAST series. It's like he gets to a point where he just doesn't care anymore so does whatever he needs to do to wrap it up so he can move on to something else. It's REALLY ANNOYING. I actually was really enjoying this storyline up until this issue, and then the whole thing was deflated, and I really am on the verge of just not buying the book anymore because I have better things to spend my money on than a bit of a poor exercise in nostalgia.

I feel like with every storyline, the quality of the writing improves and then slumps back down again by the final chapter, and then the cycle starts again with the following story. Not really loving it. [Razz]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdpinball
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdpinball   Email jdpinball         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree completely with your statement about Paul's inability to finish a storyline on a strong note. I really did enjoy this story till the end. It just wrapped up too quickly. And it didn't make sense for Mon-el and the team to sit back and just wait or to let two Legionaries resign and then go?

I have a feeling their was editorial changes at the last minute and that's why we had fill in pages the last two issues. Perhaps certain elements were changed at the last minute and Frances was unable to redraw those pages so another artist was brought in and those pages inserted over two issues?

And on a different note; didn't Bouncing Boy essentially kill that whole tree of the new Dominators?

From: EARTH | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jdpinball: And on a different note; didn't Bouncing Boy essentially kill that whole tree of the new Dominators?
Pretty much, but this whole arc started with a battle in which Sun Boy, Phantom Girl and Polar Boy were competing to see who could blow up the most Dominator ships, which, as Cham found out by picking one randomly to infiltrate (he even flat out noted to himself that he was lucky, and guessed the right ship to infiltrate, which proves that neither he nor his teammates had any clue which was the command ship and whether the others were full of people or not), were full of Dominators.

The Legion code against killing seems to have gone the way of the Fatal Five.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Having the Legion's code against killing *include* unborn Dominators, or in fact unborn anything, opens a really big can of worms and may end with the Legion raiding abortion clinics.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdpinball
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdpinball   Email jdpinball         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's just look at it as ruining a science experiment and move on....sorry I even brought that up
From: EARTH | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:

This kind of mission is tailor-made for the Espionage Squad, and seeing Vi or Tinya take out the Dominion's pet Daxamite clone-thing through a clever internal attack would have been more interesting than seeing Mon-El and Ultra Boy fly in for the umpteenth time and just beat things up again.

I heartily agree. This reminds me of the old Annual Levitz wrote, LSH Annual 3 (where the Legionnaires prevent some sorcerers on Zerox from reviving Mordru). A bunch of Legionnaires were involved but in the end, it seems only Mon-El, Ultra Boy, Wildfire and the White Witch saved the day AGAIN. I get that Jo and Mon are the fastest and strongest, but the Legion has always been about a) strength in numbers, and b) even the less powerful ones have something to contribute.

quote:
Originally posted by jdpinball:
Let's just look at it as ruining a science experiment and move on....sorry I even brought that up

No, don't be sorry. Your point was valid and this board welcomes open discussion [Smile]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
No, don't be sorry. Your point was valid and this board welcomes open discussion [Smile]

Yeah, I agree...nothing to be sorry for. [Smile]

For my part, I didn't have that much of an issue with Chuck knocking the tree over because I interpreted it not so much as killing fetuses, but just keeping them from waking up...I figured they needed to be supplied with whatever nutrients/chemicals/etc as part of the blooming process to take on full consciousness, and until that point they were just blank templates? I could be wrong, but it makes me feel better about it thinking of it that way anyway [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
And why is Element Lad shown wearing a very old costume?

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:

THE BAD:
WTF was the point of the whole Sensor Girl thing? As a million other people have pointed out, the one thing Jeckie is famous for above all else is that she projects illusions. So who in their right mind would think her actions on their own would change the Council's minds?

Well, if written correctly, no one outside of the Legion is supposed to *know* Sensor Girl is Projectra in order for her to keep her effectiveness. That's kind of blown when she mentions her position on Orando though. I assume that they expect people to trust her vision, as she's never given reason to doubt her and it is part of her power upgrade to "see things beyond what others do". I agree it was messy though. There should have been a dozen other ways to collect evidence that Brainy and Dreamy were taken by Dominators.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
It does appear that the 'mystery' of Sensor Girl is no longer relevant. Everybody seems to know that she's Projectra.

Perhaps that was the point. The UP council might be willing to accuse a Legionnaire of falsifying evidence, but they might be a little less likely to accuse the Queen of Orando of falsifying evidence to her face...

About the only thing I really liked about that scenario was Mon-El admitting that the events were occuring beyond his range, and then Projectra turning out to be capable of beating that.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Finally read 12--

Well done, Mr. Levitz! I was terrified he was going to mishandle Chuck and Lu but he did all of the crew justice! Plus he threw in the old "last minute rescue by stronger Legionnaires" Levitzism. Now let us not see that trope again for a long while. Find a way for the crew to emerge victorious themselves next time! [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
^^That trope goes back at least to the Super-Stalag of Space!

Maybe Levitz can borrow the "three girls save everyone" trope from Mordu the Merciless next!

Except Click Here For A Spoilerin all probability those three girls would be Harmonia, Dragonwing, and Glorith! [Disgusting]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
That would literally piss me off!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved the art on this issue, and the team - both newbies and vets - performed well. Have the Dominators been portrayed as eating humans before?

Regarding the rushed ending, the part that bothered me most was lack of resolution regarding Brainiac 5's force field belt. Too much time was spent setting this plot point up for it not be resolved. This series is just rife with unresolved plot threads. This has been true of the past few Legion series, and it's getting old. I guess it is one of the disadvantages of working with a large team, but really wish more effort would be put into answering all my burning questions.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
As far as I know, the Dominators eating humans (as well as one another) was an innovation of this storyline, as were the different caste/subspecies of Dominators.

I'd assume the force field belt will be followed up on /n the Brainy spotlight next issue.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.