Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Moments that Made You Go "WOW"! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legion Moments that Made You Go "WOW"!
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Or "Squee", or "Hell Yeah", or "I don't care who sees me, LONG LIVE THE LEGION!"

For the Post Zero Hour Legion, best moment was at the end of LSH 80 when the team free themselves of UP interference. In a single stroke they expose President Chu, beat the Fatal Five, get RJ Brande as UP President and all the "lost" Legionnaires save Apparition return. Man, so satisfying.

on a more "squee" level, the recent Power Boy - Gravity Kid relationship made me squee when Gravity Kid tells Power Boy he'll bring him home if he ever rots on Takron-Galtos. Awww. You two have a nice, long, happy relationship while teasing each other all day with your sex costumes!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The end of the Universo Project, where Imra *apologizes* to the mind-controlled Ultra Boy and Mon-El, because she 'doesn't have time to be gentle' as she shuts off their brains, leaving Universo gaping in shock. "Two of the most powerful men in the universe, and they fell over because you just looked at them?"

Such an 'Oh yeah!' moment for me.

I'm also partial to Karate Kid kicking Darkseid in the head during the Great Darkness Saga. "Astound this, stone-face!" No fear, no hesitation, no fretting that he was 'out of his league' or that a roundhouse kick wasn't going to do more than surprise Darkseid.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

The end of Legion of the Damned was also a nice moment for me. Seeing the Legion, together again, with everybody present after a harrowing four issues of the non-Blighted members having to fight their teammates was satisfying.

So was the end of the postboot Mordru battle, Legionnaires 50. The Legionnaires totally outsmarted Mordru care of some great illusions and teamwork.

Not to mention the conclusion of the White Triangle Saga, when some split-second timing by RJ Brande, Jan Arrah, Brainiac 5 and the 3 founders saves the day.

For individual Legionnaire moments...

Postboot Brainy using multiple miniature forcefields to reflect dozens of shots back at some terrorists, in Legion 1.

Gates rescuing Kid Q II and taking Ra's al Ghul's arm off in the process, in Legion 8.

Live Wire leaping into the mouth of the Element Lad/Omniphagos creature and stopping it by himself, Legion Lost 12.

Andromeda standing up to, and almost beating, Roxxas in Legionnaires Annual 2. With some help from Violet.

Shrinking Violet taking down Micro in LSH 66.

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
The end of the Universo Project, where Imra *apologizes* to the mind-controlled Ultra Boy and Mon-El, because she 'doesn't have time to be gentle' as she shuts off their brains, leaving Universo gaping in shock. "Two of the most powerful men in the universe, and they fell over because you just looked at them?"

I also liked when she goes to have a chat with Darkseid at the end of the LSH Annual 2.

After all that she goes down in his cave, tells him she has never been afraid of him, it comes of as if she is scolding him for stealing her child and he had better watch out.

I also loved how the Legion walked out of the light in Legion #1. It was my desktop wall paper for ages ... They came to reignite hope to the UP.

In Legion of the Damned, when XS breaks free of her "cell" and rescues Imra .... I never liked XS any more than those panels where she runs. And Saturn Girl as well ... reaching out the whole time to someone in order to escape.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

For the Post Zero Hour Legion, best moment was at the end of LSH 80 when the team free themselves of UP interference. In a single stroke they expose President Chu, beat the Fatal Five, get RJ Brande as UP President and all the "lost" Legionnaires save Apparition return. Man, so satisfying.

That's one of my favorite post-boot moments, too.

Another is when Gim realizes he's not cut out to be the leader and turns the reins over to Cosmic Boy. The early reboot was set up with the government interfering in the development of the Legion far than it did in the preboot. Much of this was interference was meant to answer the question, so how could a team of teenaged heroes truly be on their own? (Plus, governments just like to interfere.)

On paper, Gim was the ideal leader: a Science Police officer who had risen through the ranks (due, albeit, to political machinations). But his first mission as Legion leader ended in disaster with one Legionnaire dead.

What makes the Legion unique is that they are young, idealistic heroes who haven't been corrupted by fear and politics (which, sadly, go together more often than not). It was very mature of Gim to realize he wasn't the best choice for leader. This was the beginning of the Legion finding its own way.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Wildfire-led battle against the Progeny battleships in Legion Lost v.1 #10. I've seen lots of space battles in comics, and that one's definitely in my Top Five.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

I also liked when she goes to have a chat with Darkseid at the end of the LSH Annual 2.

After all that she goes down in his cave, tells him she has never been afraid of him, it comes of as if she is scolding him for stealing her child and he had better watch out.

I also loved how the Legion walked out of the light in Legion #1. It was my desktop wall paper for ages ... They came to reignite hope to the UP.

I had that for my wallpaper for awhile, too. It reminded me of the opening sequence for the Justice League animated series.

I would also put the scene from Legion of Super-heroes #5, where Queen Projectra personally executes Nemesis Kid. Truly badass!

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
It was mentioned up above, but one of my "WOW!" moments was Live Wire flinging himself into the Element Lad/Omniphagos mess. I had been expecting some sort of heroic sacrifice, but not THAT character. I was suitably impressed.

A squee moment I had recently was re-reading the Computo story in Legion. Brainiac's face when he helps Computo become "enlightened" is really sweet and adorable. The shot of him reaching up to Computo's "hand" is really very pretty. I rolled around on my bed a little bit giggling and squeeing.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Lots of awesome WOW moments mentioned above [Smile]

Perhaps a lower-key WOW moment, but Kinetix's heartfelt plea to Violet and Spark to turn away from the Anomaly in LSH 113 was a satisfying moment for me, since she FINALLY got over her pwoer lust. I just wish the story had had more impact.

Although Umbra almost single-handedly took down the rejects in Legionnaires 44 by herself, she didn't truly wow me until the Legion 24 when she returned to Talok VIII and not only took control of her darkfield again, but led the planet to restore contact with the UP. Really showed how she'd matured and outgrown her old xenophobic and narrow-minded views.

--------------------

Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
God knows I've said this before on this message board, but my favourite--emotionally high-impact--Legion moment was in the 5-Year Gap era, when Mon-El destroyed the Time-Trapper with full knowledge that it would destroy his reality and everyone he knew and loved.

The thing was, he did so not only out of absolute conviction that it was the right thing to do, but with utter faith that good people would rise up in any (new) reality to fight for justice and protect the innocent--just as the Legion had always strived to do. Fortunately, it turned out that he was right, and a Legion very similar to his own did, indeed, form and thrive.

The cover to this issue really, really spoke to me, with Mon-El gazing ahead with a look of grim determination and nobility on his face, as if staring off into eternity. (As a matter of fact, the cover was redrawn\reused--out of context, if I recall--sometime a few years ago because it was so good/powerful.)

Other than this, two other very small Legion moments have touched me almost as deeply over the years. In the Legionairres book set on 'New Earth' I loved it whenever Vi acted like the young, innocent, and simple teenaged girl that she was meant to be; longing over boys and figuring out life (and perhaps her own sexuality?). And in the Reboot Legion, I loved the class that Monstress and Projectra showed--especially the time that they were discussing the saying of a small prayer of thanks to the animals they ate for sustenance.

[ October 15, 2012, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Mediocre Boy ]

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
When I was just getting into the Legion, one of the things that really impressed me was the full-page splash of the Time Trapper shouting YOU DARE!

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've sad it before, but that shot of Superboy and Supergirl punching Darkseid together in the final part of GDS remains an iconic moment for me in comics to this day.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Rokk facing down Mordru over Elvabird breast during 5YL.

Even with the team disbanded and him stripped of his powers he showed the power that even the suggestion of the Legion holds in the universe.

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
The Dark Man was Tharok!
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
The mysterious Lord of Darkness took out the Time Trapper, Mordru and Mon-el in a single issue.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.