Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LEGION LOST Is History With Issue #16! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LEGION LOST Is History With Issue #16!
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
The sad thing about Legion Lost's (apparent) terribleness is that it really was a great group of characters. Some really interesting stories could have been told with that bunch IMO.

So great then that even in their last issue, some crappy, random Teen Titans villain gets the focus instead. [Roll Eyes]

So true. We could have had some great stories dealing with the 21st century state of Marzal (focus on Tyroc) or Starhaven (focus on Dawny) or the Durlan technology that's been floating around the earth since the old Invasion series (and been used much more recently as backstory for other characters, allowing a secondary mission for Yera, to collect misappropriated Durlan tech, some of which might actually be made from living Durlans!).

Would political animal Gates get the wild notion to teleport to the coordinates where Vyrga should be in this time period, in the hopes of giving his species a head start (or just some governmental advice!), after having discovered that the Vyrga of this 'classic' universe no longer existed in the 31st century? (Being willing to change history to save this universes version of his homeworld!)

Does Iris Jacobs / Diamondeth still exist, and would the Legion Lost be called upon to connect with one of the few 21st century humans to know of their existence?

Would they hook up with Superman, a past ally? Or Booster Gold, who may or may not have time travel experiences with them as well?

So many Legion / DCU-related plots, pretty much never touched upon, with the 'Legion' focus being mostly about government teams, retconned conspiracies, or that Harvest / Culling garbage, any of which could have been done with any seven random characters DC wanted to throw at the wall, instead of Legionnaires.

For a book with 'Legion' in the title, other than having seven Legionnaires in it, it wasn't very 'Legion-y' at all. (And the longer it went on, the more out of character the characters became, with the secrets and conspiracies, and the hints of Dawny dumping Drake for Brin.)

At the end of the day, I think to myself, 'Was this worth breaking up the Gim / Yera marriage off-panel? (The same way Mon & Shady were broken up, come to think of it...) I think not.'

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's a testament to how awesome these 7 Legionnaires are, in concept, that I found the character interactions between them the highlight of the book. If it had been a different bunch of Legionnaires I may not have remained a reader as long as I did...

quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Although it was nice seeing some focus on these 7 Legionnaires for a bit (especially the underused Gates and Yera)... YAHOO! THEY'RE GOING HOME! At least, I hope so...

Gates isn't... [No]
Makes me [Frown] beyond compare.

quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
I am sick of Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, Ultra boy being panel- hogging!

IMO those three seem to be consistent panel hogs in every 'Boot [Razz]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
I also think issue #10 was a lost opportunity to re-write the series when the lost Legionnaires found themselves lost in a changed future. It could have been a great storyline had they been lost in time and space searching for the rest of the Legion and what had happened to earth, rather than returning to the failed 21st century backdrop.

Plus Pete Woods could have been allowed to showcase his amazing sci-fi art talents. He really needs a chance to draw for a good sci-fi book. His aliens are fantastic.

From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
I cannot say I am going to miss the book as the few issues I did read were not very good and it features some of my least favourite Legionnaires.

The bit I still cannot really understand though is how they ever thought this book would be able to attract enough interest to be viable beyond a maxi-series.

So I suppose in that sense it should be applauded for lasting as long as it did.

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac: IMO those three seem to be consistent panel hogs in every 'Boot [Razz]
*BLUSH* I would read a series devoted to Brainiac 5. Seriously. I've had a crush on almost every incarnation of him i've ever seen. I even *sort* of liked the Threeboot version, despite only seeing 9 issues of it.

I'll be over here being ashamed of my fangirlism.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I think that's one of the neater things about the Legion--there isn't some set corporate standard that these characters can be, they can die, or retire, and either new characters can fill in the roles, or new characters can steal the spotlight.[/QB]

And then they can be rebooted to mostly the Adventure Era cast plus more completely new people! [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
quote:
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
It seems like he is wanting to keep the team at 15 members or something. [Frown]

I think he wants his new Academy kids to be the center, with the "real" Legionnaires forming a setting around them. It's time to take those younguns back to another Academy book (the previous book was much better than Legion Lost has been) and let us have the real Legion of Super-Heroes back.
I wouldn't want to say the "real" Legion of Super-Heroes, since I'm sure there were people who were saying the same thing when, say, Ferro Lad, Karate Kid and Princess Projectra came on, and then again with Wildfire and Dawnstar.

I think that's one of the neater things about the Legion--there isn't some set corporate standard that these characters can be, they can die, or retire, and either new characters can fill in the roles, or new characters can steal the spotlight.

Calling them the "real" Legion was just snarkiness on my part. I discovered the Legion right after Ferro Lad died, some 40+ years ago, and since then I've bought and read every Legion book as it came out. I've seen all those new members join over the years and I've liked most of them. I've seen all the deaths and transformations and reboots. You're right, Jay Kay, about how the creators' freedom to play with these characters is a neat thing.

I'm not the same reader I was back when I started reading Legion, of course, so I don't know what my 14-year-old self would think of the current books. But the "now" me thinks the current "Legion of Super-Heroes" book is an inferior doppelganger of anything it used to be. We can't figure out if these are really the characters we used to know from any 'boot, although they're strangely close enough. Past stories we've read are referenced but the impact of them on these characters' lives is not explored in any depth. And instead of giving us that fullness of character and story exploration, the writer gives us several new kids who, in my opinion, aren't bringing the essence of Legion-ness that's made me a fan all these years. The kids were much better in that regard, and I enjoyed reading about them, in the Academy stories in the Adventure book. But when they have such prominence as part of the Legion they're a distraction from what I really want to see. But then, I'm sure I'm not the target audience for this book.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I hear you, man--any blahness with the book doesn't have to do with bad characters, but from not really utilizing them well.

As for the history, like with a lot of the New 52, I'm kind-of presuming that at the very least something very similar happened until proven otherwise. I honestly don't understand how Flashpoint could have even affected the timeline in the 31st Century.

If anything, I would think doing that would open up some more fresh, interesting ideas for the book, especially since you basically have stuff from two whole universes to play with.

What if a Daemonite joined the Legion?

What happened the the Parliament of Trees and the Red? Is it possible that other planets in the UP have their equivalents as well? What if they united?

Considering how the young, t-shirt Superman's been characterized in Action Comics, was his tenure as Superboy in the Legion different? I would imagine he would probably be more bombastic, and would actually require the flight ring.

We know what happened to the Green Lanterns--but what about the rest of the Emotional Spectrum?

And so on and so forth. There's a LOT of interesting potential they could play with here, but instead we get the Legion fighting bland Daxamites and Dominators for a year.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac: IMO those three seem to be consistent panel hogs in every 'Boot [Razz]
*BLUSH* I would read a series devoted to Brainiac 5. Seriously. I've had a crush on almost every incarnation of him i've ever seen. I even *sort* of liked the Threeboot version, despite only seeing 9 issues of it.

I'll be over here being ashamed of my fangirlism.

I have no issues with Brainy being a "panel hog" since he is also one of my all-time faves. I think any "panel hog" complaints for any character come when the writers ignore some [Razz] Like in the DNA era, Gates and XS and Violet were noticeably dumped in the background while Brainy, Imra, Ultra Boy and Kid Q II kept getting spotlighted. In the current series... well, Invisible Jacques is living up to his name, for one. And where the heck is Quislet?

As for the New Kids, they definitely have potential - but now we have Chemical Kid being an arrogant lost new kid, Glorith not doing anything, and Harmonia still being as annoyingly mysterious as ever. Urgh.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.