Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » M'onel: why the power down? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: M'onel: why the power down?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thinking this a.m. about Dannell and her love of the character Lar Gand....

Many have commented on M'onel's apparent weakness in recent stories. The bad guys seem to be taking him out fairly easily, or at least knocking him around.

Some have suggested that the anti-lead serum may be wearing off. I've wondered if there isn't some underlying psychological conflict going on, maybe he's holding back on his power for some reason.

Any other suggestions? Do DnA just not like the guy? Or will all be explained in some future issue?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
The explanation, FC, is that if Mon-El is present, many of the other Legionnaires become superfluous. M'Onel gets taken out early to give other Legionnaires screen-time.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
If we're to explore possible psychological reasons, I'd guess that he's simply holding back. He's been shying away from his identity as "The legendary savior Valor, seeder of worlds" so maybe there's a part of him that doesn't want to act too "godly" and makes him restrained in battle despite himself.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree with the comment about M'Onel getting taken out early so that the other Legionnaires can have something else to do.

I think a trick to writing Lar successfully is giving him something worthwhile to do that keeps him separate from the team members who he would overshadow otherwise. Hopefully, the mission to Kwai space will keep him busy in a more positive way than the tripping over his shoelaces we've seen thus far in TnT's run. I think they ARE quite fond of the character (he's definitely had his share of the spotlight in their run--more so than Vi, anyway.) Hopefully, in the future, he'll acquit himself with a bit more Valor. :-)

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
I have to agree with the comment about M'Onel getting taken out early so that the other Legionnaires can have something else to do.

No doubt -- that's why Wildfire and Ultra Boy used to get more battle-time (and were part of the "advance scout" with Dawny). These two are power houses but each have an Achilles heel that can be exploited to get them out of the way for the others to get in there.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
No doubt -- that's why Wildfire and Ultra Boy used to get more battle-time (and were part of the "advance scout" with Dawny). These two are power houses but each have an Achilles heel that can be exploited to get them out of the way for the others to get in there.

I think this is an excellent point. Perhaps Mon does need an Achilles heel that's more accessible than lead. So long as he has his anti-lead serum, lead is not a problem. Take away the serum, and he's a goner.

Since Mon is my favorite character, it may sound sadistic, but I wouldn't mind him having a few drawbacks to his powers. Back in the '60s, Marvel did the same thing with Giant-Man/Goliath, by having his power of super-growth backfire on him, leaving him stuck at ten feet tall for awhile. It made for a pretty good subplot as he searched for a cure and felt like a freak in public. While Mon doesn't have to experience anything quite that crippling, it would be interesting for him to have to deal with new limits to his powers.

[ July 10, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I agree with kid Prime on this one -- just create situations that will require someone of M'onel's strength (and maybe a few others) to deal with while another part of the team deals with the bad guy -- or just make the bad guy that much more powerful. Otherwise, pushing a weakness on M'onel would seem forced.

Regardless of who it is, that's always a big challenge for the Legion writers - to make sure everyone gets some screentime regardless of power level.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
At least in the last issue, he looked like the battle leader he should be. There was a great panel with him, Jo and Cosmic Boy, in silhouette, confronting Shikari and Sensor. Lar was in front, where he belongs, with his starfield uniform lit up and his eyes aflame. He looked the part and acted the part there.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:

Since Mon is my favorite character, it may sound sadistic, but I wouldn't mind him having a few drawbacks to his powers. Back in the '60s, Marvel did the same thing with Giant-Man/Goliath, by having his power of super-growth backfire on him, leaving him stuck at ten feet tall for awhile. It made for a pretty good subplot as he searched for a cure and felt like a freak in public. While Mon doesn't have to experience anything quite that crippling, it would be interesting for him to have to deal with new limits to his powers.
Perhaps we should see more of the problems Mon faces as he tries to go about his job, with half the galaxy worshiping him as some form of god. Although not a physical block on his powers the psycological pressure faced, added to his problems adjusting to life outside the Zone should be explored as a possible reason for him being unable or un willing to use his full strength.

or

Maybe the anti lead serum can be used as the reason behind the depowering. The only way he can have full power is to stop taking the drug that is keeping him alive. ?

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

To take your idea further, maybe M'onel can have a patch (or the 31st century equivalent) that he has to have all the time, BUT during extreme emergencies, he has to remove it to regain full strength even though it pains him to do so and if he doesn't put it back on in an hour, he'll die! In terms of the comic book tradition of weaknesses and heroic self-sacrifice it kinda fits.
M'onel
May be Lethbridge's #1 Legion Fan...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M'onel   Author's Homepage   Email M'onel         Edit/Delete Post     
Do any of you think that being depowered then shot in the chest by Ra's would have an effect on his psyche?

--------------------
A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world

From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I wouldn't doubt that it might affect him -- he spent a thousand years as a phantom and couldn't be hurt then as a Daxamite, not much can hurt him now. It'd be interesting and realistic if they dealt with his trauma a bit, but he's made of strong stuff -- it shouldn't be too big a deal (certainly not something to be dragged our for a year before he gets over it).
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

He could even be suffering some sort of post-traumatic stress - how long can that simmer? It can certainly affect even the strongest (in Canada, there is an armed forces general who suffered a breakdown trying to deal with the atrocities in Rwanda) - so maybe getting shot by Ra's was some sort of breaking point. No wonder Lar vowed to chase down Ra's wherever he might escape to.

I understand that there are plot-writing problems if someone like Lar is all-powerful; the story ends on page 2. But it's interesting to speculate on what "rational" explanations could be worked into the story to explain why he isn't all-powerful. There have been a lot of good possibilities proposed in this thread.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

DrakeB3004

I actually don't think it's too hard to write for M'onel in Legion. I mean it's got to be easier than writing for Superman in JLA and they don't seem to have a problem with that...
M'onel
May be Lethbridge's #1 Legion Fan...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M'onel   Author's Homepage   Email M'onel         Edit/Delete Post     
Well in my book Lar's as almighty as Superman is. Still I think he deserves some time in the spotlight in my opinion.

--------------------
A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world

From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.