Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » M'onel: why the power down? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: M'onel: why the power down?
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I find it interesting that some of the suggestions proposed for M'Onel's weakness are psychological in nature. Is this because, preboot, he was shown to have repressed traumas over his Phantom Zone experience, or because it's the only believable weakness for an all-powerful character?

I like the idea of Mon's anti-lead serum inhibiting his powers. There is at least a real-world precedent for that. People who are psychotic and creative claim that anti-psychotic medication inhibits their creativity.

I also like the idea of him being inhibited by public adulation of his Valor self, but, since the general public still doesn't know he was Valor, that's moot.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I think I like the idea of his recent "power down" being psychological because it just strikes me as more interesting and informative of M'onel's character. In this case, it's also plausible in my mind.

The fact that people don't know he's Valor might only make him apprehensive about being "outed". It could also be why he's in the Legion or why he joined President McCauley's team -- he's surrounding himself with teammates in an attempt to not stand out.

For me it seems to fit M'onel not because of the past depictions of his mental trauma, but more of his reserved demeanor and natural humility. I don't think it should be a huge issue causing him to fail in battle all the time or be shown as an out and out "weakness", but just an aspect to his character -- that he tends to hold back more than he should.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:

For me it seems to fit M'onel not because of the past depictions of his mental trauma, but more of his reserved demeanor and natural humility. I don't think it should be a huge issue causing him to fail in battle all the time or be shown as an out and out "weakness", but just an aspect to his character -- that he tends to hold back more than he should.

OK. But I think we're talking about two different things. Having a tendency to hold back does not necessarily indicate a psychological hang-up, unless it turns into a phobia. I think even if Mon did prefer to hold back, his long experience would have taught him when not to (e.g., with Ra's al Ghul). If he becomes a liability to his teammates, then this becomes a point at which he's not thinking rationally.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
Although he has received qite a bit of panel time IMO Monel's character development has been virtually nil.

It mut be difficult for DnA to develope this incredibly powerful person, just think, he's Superman + level physical power,has 1000 years of memories and is a major religious icon in the flesh.... where can you go with this? Well lets see him interact with "ordinary" people, lets see him use some of his wisdom and experience, lets see him kick some major ass, lets see him have a bit of depth...

that'll be my soap box out again, sorry...

I love Mon and strongly dislike the way he's being used at present, I'm sure either it'll grow on me or there'll be a change in direction... just soon already please!

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I think the easiest way to address all of Lar's issues would be to get him involved in a relationship -- he'd have someone to talk to, someone to ask the hard questions and a focal point for his issues as opposed to them coming up depending on the situation.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I would really like to see him get involved with Luornu. She would provide a very interesting sounding board, with various opionions, etc...

I really just don't want him involved with Tasmia again. I don't know whym but I have never cared for her ( I think this stems from her Levitz era personality)

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I've said this before, but not on this board so I'll say it again -- I don't think M'onel should get involved with Triad. She obviously worships him (more than just a crush) and it'd be odd for M'onel to get involved with someone who was so into his "valorious" past. I'd think it would make him uncomfortable as well.
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I still want to see some interaction between Mon and Shikari. They both like to travel and explore, she's not going to be overwelmed by the "Legend of Valor" deal, and Shikari's curiosity is probably the only force in the Legion more powerful than M'onel's reticence.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Rereading some issues last night led me to reconsider the power-down to some extent. One thing that irked me was that Lu was able to defeat Ra's al Ghul where M'onel could not.... mea culpa, I really misread that scene.

Ra's al Ghul was thrown totally off-balance when he and M'onel entered the clone chambers. Ra's had no idea that the clones existed - he is confused, almost frantic - disturbed to the point of perspiring. He must realize for the first time that he does not have everything under control. He actually turns to M'onel and asks for help. In this state, Lu knocks him around with her tri-jitsu, and kicks him into an empty clone container; a stasis field is engaged which holds him.

Presumably, Lar was also pausing to consider the ramifications of this turn of events when he was blinded (?) with a fiery blast from Ra's. Triad merely capitalized on the situation. It's not necessarily a reflection of physical weakness in M'onel. It's sloppy reading on the part of FC.

And I like this odd relationship that Ra's and M'on have - maybe a bit co-dependent. It merits further exploration.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Regarding the M'on / Ra's relationship:

I think the intereting aspect to their dynamic was mentioned by Ra's himself in the redroom. These two are historic figures who have taken the destiny of worlds into their own hands -- they're almost like elder gods, but rivals in that they're totally opposite in terms of their motivation.

M'on probably sees Ra's as the reason why he's so reluctant to assume the role of Valor that has been built up. Ra's is the evil that can come from one person wielding too much power over others. (not that M'on fears he would become like Ra's, but the end result is almost the same regardless of which individual becomes elevated to that level of near godhood)

Ra's sees M'on as having done what he himself has wanted to do -- but only to a degree. M'on's reluctance to assume the role and exploit its potential probly annoys Ra's -- like when you see someone else take the job you wanted but then does a crap job at it because they're really not as qualified as you are.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.