Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Invisible Kid: Power up

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Invisible Kid: Power up
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Invisible Kid - just how effective is his invisibility? If he picks something up, it doesn't become invisible. If he walks, does he make noise? Do the curtains ruffle when he flies past?

In other words, I think this guy could benefit from some power boost or expansion. In the pre-boot (his death story), he could see into the ghostly realm when he was invisible. So if his "power" results from manipulation of the light around him (?) perhaps he could also have some power to see non-visible parts of the spectrum.

Or maybe being a scientific genius is enough of an extra. It works for the green kid.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think his power's okay as it is. His spy backround comliments his invisibility, plus, there are some cool tricks he can do right now, like that whole flying while invisible somebody suggested in another thread and the turning himself gradually invisible. Also, if gets any more powerful, what's to stop him from turning the whole Legion invisible before battle?
From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duplicate Man
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duplicate Man   Email Duplicate Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Given his spy background, I'd guess Lyle's pretty good at walking quietly.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
If I remember correctly, he can turn other people/objects invisible, but it takes alot out of him. He did this to Zoe's mom and brother when Mysa was trying to get Zoe to find the Emerald Eye.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I say keep it simple. Once you unlock the door with a power up, it could lead to general confusion about the extent of his abilities and in a team like the Legion especially, writers can't always think of, or use these abilities "properly" (i.e. the previous example of Lyle turning his teammates invisible -- why wouldn't he do it all the time if he could?).

I remember a trend in "New Warriors" awhile back where it seemed as though each member's powers were really more than they seemed -- that each was tapped into some fundamental force of nature and had the ability to become a mini-god or something. It's hard to write for characters with that level of power consistently (especially when the parameters of those powers are so vague and mired in pseudo-science).

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't mind seeing Lyle develop tactile invisibility. He could increase his "invisibility field" to include objects or people that he was touching, although I would keep the weakening side effect so that it would remain a power that he uses sparingly. Also, I would think that there would be a size limit to what he can affect. Maybe no more than one or two other people, for instance; I certainly wouldn't want him turning Legion Cruisers invisible (although you would expect that by the 31st Century they would have cloaking technology).

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, but you'd think that by the 21st century we'd have flying cars and jet packs dammit!!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Yeah, but you'd think that by the 21st century we'd have flying cars and jet packs dammit!!

Apparently you don't shop in the right places [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Shouldn't Sensor be the one to make things visible and invisible? In fact, doesn't her range of powers make the mere invisibility thing somewhat obsolete?

I'd go for making Lyle easier to write by giving him a new aspect to his powers altogether. Since his invisibility is just the control of light, why not just give hime more control over light--ala Lazon or a myriad of others.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Lyle also turned the Persuader's axe invisible. He (Lyle) wasn't touching it.

Of course that same story, the team's 2nd(?) reboot meeting with the Fatal Five, also had Karate Kid hearing heartbeats from a kilometer away.

I'm pretty sure Invisible Kid has turned some other folks invisible since the Mysa/Hag story, but the specifics aren't coming to me...

Does this sound right to anyone else?

I like the expansion of his ability to these levels-- with concentration and effort-- but wouldn't want to see the invisibility power stretched too much further.

Lyle Norg should be explored for awhile-- not so much his powers. But- as can happen- a well-told story might change my opinion.

TN [Invisible Kid]

[ July 17, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
The ought to at least ditch the idea that his invisibility only works on visual wavelengths. I mean, thermal imaging is no big deal here and now, so you'd think it wouldn't be in the future either. His limited invisibility really has to just be glossed over to keep his power useful at all. It seems to be time for Lyle to get the spotlight, doesn't it. His last meaningful appearance was a while ago now.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Overdue and then some. DNA have shown they can write Lyle-- in WIDENING RIFTS and in the Kwaispace issue of THE LEGION.

I'm ready for more.

And you have a point about technology making Lyle's power less useful. I think, perhaps, revealing that he's invisible to technology would be a good thing.

Though wasn't that the difference between Jacques and Lyle? THERE's somebody who's *really* due for a new appearance.

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
That Kwaispace issue is probably my favorite IK appearance since he socked Ultra Boy in the jaw. I like him played as a tough no-nonsense kind of guy, though it seems like he's been used far too much as either simply a foil for Brainy or as being the one to get himself into a scrape time after time. I've been let down by Lyle's characterization ever since the Bierbaum's dumped him as leader in favor of their precious Cosmic Boy in the SW6 days.

Him citing the Constitution to Imra was inspired. More of that please.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

I was more disappointed by the shortness of his leadership term in the reboot.

Though I bought his *reasons* for stepping down. In fact, I think it'd make sense for him to *never* campaign for Legion leader-- unless doing so was a part of some larger plan.

Unfortuantely- and traditionally, Legion leadership is the only way to assure the 'spotlight' for a little-seen [Invisible Kid] character.

He's way more effective as a behind-the-throne advisor... if only they'd use him that way.

I *really* want to see Lyle 'work' a case from the time it comes to his attention to its conclusion.

He'd be a perfect central character for a 'Secret Files' issue, wouldn't he?

Or, of course, his own mini-series...

TN

Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Lest we forget, Lyle DID get some good exposure during the Computo/Sharn Nux incident (more so than poor Vi, who is quickly becoming the wallflower of the team--or at her current dimensions, it's more like walltree)

I think I like Lyle where he is... one time he managed to get Kinetix's mother and brother invisible with him, and it nearly knocked the wind out of him. More than making his invisibility undetectable by sensors, I think it would make sense to explore that by allowing him to invent some sort of dampening-field gadget that makes him invisible to sensors while invisible. He IS a genius super-spy, after all.

Still and all, Susan Richards he ain't. And I like him that way just fine.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.