Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Why do serious Legion discussions seem to be ignored? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do serious Legion discussions seem to be ignored?
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
HWW suggested this, so I thought I'd start it.

Why do threads that are more serious in Legion related thoughts seem to be ignored for the whimsey that is prevalent on this board?

Not sayiong all do, but the majority get a couple posts and fade away...or so it would seem.

Any thoughts as to why?

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if some of it might be time constraints. I mean, alot of us seem to post from work, or have families that require attention, or just plain busy lives. And to get into really in-depth topics often requires putting alot of time and thought into what you want to say. Being really serious can be time consuming, and I wonder if, perhaps, some of the posters just don't have that kind of time to spare. Instead they focus more on topics that, while maybe not requiring less thought, certainly often requires less time to post, since often time those topics consist of posts that are only one or two lines long.

Of course, there is the other possibility that it's often times just a lot more fun to be less serious, so it could be that those types of threads are just more entertaining [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Time is one reason, I believe.

It takes time to draw up a serious thread, if you're going to put some text into it.
And it takes a while to respond - to think up the response, write it up, reread and edit it. Speaking for myself, maybe some people can just type away - I often have to make notes separately before I answer at length.

Answering the silly stuff is spontaneous - it's not always easy, and I have sometimes pondered and even researched the whimsy - but generally, it's a wham bam sort of thing.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, minds think alike, don't they? I'll avoid using "great" in my case.

I have to do real world stuff now, but I'm going to think about this.

[ July 19, 2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
For me, it's both time and the fact that I go online to stop thinking about stuff and have fun. I enjoy a good laugh.

But, for the most part I enjoy reading well thoughtout discussions, I just can't find the time to respond properly. Usually, by the time I sit down and type stuff out reread and spell check [Wink] , someone else has already posted my thoughts exactly. And, what I'd have to say is redundant.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think one major reason that the latest issue doesn't garner as much discussion as one might like is simply the result of previews/spoilers. Most of the really interesting stuff in issues has generally been given away months in advance, and has already been hashed out by the time we actually read the issue. The latest Legion news has to do with all the goodies that are in store in Legion #25, not with what happened in #21.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I think some of it is an inaccessibility issue. For example, while I do very much enjoy reading Reep's "what-if" thread, there is no way in the world I would ever post to it. Why? As far as the sheer volume and obscurity of information presented over there, I'm WAY out of my league talking about it, and frankly, I don't like to look stupid.

You don't run into that problem on the silly threads... you can just post away!!! I also think part of it are the personalities who are posting right now. That will change as the most prolific posters change over time, and as this message board continues to pick up mew members. I also think that once the current creative team gives us something new and controversial to sink our teeth into (and it seems like we're turning the corner into that area for the next storyline, after all,) there will be more discussion. It's been 4 months since Sensor's change, and nothing significant has happened to the Legion since then. Dream Crime has been entertaining thus far, but it hasn't moved anything forward. Once new developments begin occuring, there will be more for us to talk about.

I think.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll throw in my two cents and agree with what's been said above -- off the cuff responses are just easier to spout out and require less brain power and in some cases, research.

For my part, I try to take part in the more serious topics if I feel I have something to contribute, but I tend to hang out here while I'm watching tv or doing something else, so sometimes I can't read through a long thoughtout thread unless I'm totally devoted to it (I figure it's more respectful to the person who wrote it to wait until I can really digest their thoughts than skim it and respond with something less thought out).

Then I also think that in a lot of cases, the more serious threads don't require as many responses -- sometimes once you state your opinion, that's it. Any other response to another's thoughts would just be reiterating what you already wrote.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i'd say that TIME plays a big factor !!! i find it impossible to respond to every thread and to then give more informative replies !!!

because usually by the time i get to reply .... someone else has already said it, and in a better way !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
I think some of it is an inaccessibility issue. For example, while I do very much enjoy reading Reep's "what-if" thread, there is no way in the world I would ever post to it. Why? As far as the sheer volume and obscurity of information presented over there, I'm WAY out of my league talking about it, and frankly, I don't like to look stupid.

That's my main problem, too. I mean, I've been reading the Legion for nearly 30 years, and I remember the basics of most of the stuff that I've read, but I am way out of my league when it comes to the finest details that some people seem to pull out of nowhere. Granted, if I am posting from home, I could go pouring through my collection to research my facts, or to find out what is being talked about. However, since the lion's share of my weekday posting happens at work, I can really only comment on the things that are fresh in my mind.

If nothing else, I am always in awe of the vast knowledge that some of my co-posters have of all things Legion [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoy the serious threads as well and read them all, even if I don't respond.

BTW, the new messages threshold at the top of the page at these boards is a wonderful thing!

It means that a topic doesn't have to be at the top of p1 to be noticed, so if it gets pushed down by a couple of silly topics, it's still read.

So although the serious topics may not get as many responses, I don't agree that they are ignored.

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
The serious topics seem to be getting more responses here lately.

I view this board as a break from the work day. When I'm on break, I want something uplifting, so I usually go for the silly topics. Other people smoke cigarettes, I check the boards. I usually try to stay away from computers once I leave work.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Indeed, they do seem to be getting more traffic, and I have to wonder about Dev's point (and HWW's, and -- more despairingly -- Reep's) making much sense.

Fat Cramer just got a lively thread going on "Vampires, werewolves, and magic." I had responses about Shikari, thoughtful ones, going on long after my (not wholly sound) outburst about a poll.

Many other examples exist. If you think back, they really always have been around, and those who want them find them easily. Few are entirely lost or ignored. Those usually get bumped, out of pride of authorship. Or mere obsessions.

Those above have quite sound reasons for why the "serious" topics don't get the heaviest traffic. It'll always be that way, though. I don't see it as a huge mystery. Sometimes you want rhetorical meat that needs slow cooking, sometimes you want Oreos that slide down the gullet soaked in -- horrors! {g} -- "trans fat." Neither one is a danger to your equilibrium or sanity, unless that's your whole Net diet.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Now I'm hungry!!

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, great-- now I want a winged Oreo screensaver ala the toaster ones... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.